Rush vs Nate: Early Offseason Debate

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Who would you rather retain after the season?

Poll ended at Thu May 31, 2012 2:20 pm

Brandon Rush
46%
Nate Robinson
15%
Both
38%
Neither
No votes

Total votes : 13

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:27 pm
Couple weeks later... Has anyones opinion changed?

We've gotten to see both players in a cold spell by now. Rush continued to impress, putting the ball on the floor and working his game inside out when his jumper isn't working. Nate, to his Van Exel-y credit, shoots the ball, hot or cold, like it's burning bumps into his hands.

2 weeks later and I still say bring back Rush! Nate, it's been damn fun and you've shown up tough when we needed it a couple times, but happy trails after this season!
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:58 pm
Yeah, I'm leaning more towards Rush as time goes by. Nate is starting to remind me too much of Monta on occasions. Those shots over the hand at the very first seconds on the offense. And ball hogging as well...I don't like that. I like fast ball movement (which happens with Curry, Rush and Thompson) and if not that, then trying to go inside and finish, or dish assist. It's not happening...at least not enough.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:01 pm
As much as I like Rush, it seems the addition of Jefferson will influence the Warriors to let him walk in the offseason. He's too expensive to commit more money to another backup swingman... Although IMO Rush > Jefferson.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:59 pm
We should definitely try to flip RJ into something. It'll be cool if we could trade him to a team for cash considerations but that's a pipe dream. Hell, if I had my way I'd take anything as low as a bag of Cheetos.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:09 am
Yyyeah, he'll be tough to deal with that contract.

The Spurs flipped a coin on Stack Jack AND threw in their first rounder to get RJ off their books. I imagine we're probably gonna have to keep him until he becomes an expirer.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:21 pm
I'm willing to give him a shot. He might turn around to be a great fit here, with this team. This season is already over for us, so next year is when he should be judged for his performance. If we trade Dorell, I'm even more for keeping Richard.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:42 pm
I really hope we bring back Nate. With him out you can see that Jenkins just isn't ready to have heavy mins. He just doesn't manage the team as well. Nate has been playing really well lately and is getting the team in sets, and not just looking for his own like his reputation suggests.

I just think with Curry being so injury prone, that we need to have reliable depth at PG. I would bring Nate and Jenkins back.... there isn't anyone in the draft that I would be excited about at PG for the spots we are drafting... so even more reason I would bring back nate.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:44 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:I really hope we bring back Nate. With him out you can see that Jenkins just isn't ready to have heavy mins. He just doesn't manage the team as well. Nate has been playing really well lately and is getting the team in sets, and not just looking for his own like his reputation suggests.

I just think with Curry being so injury prone, that we need to have reliable depth at PG. I would bring Nate and Jenkins back.... there isn't anyone in the draft that I would be excited about at PG for the spots we are drafting... so

Agreed. Nate has had a bit less of a successful career than what he thought he would have. He is small, but has all the tools (speed, handles, leap, shooting and passing) that make a pretty good PG. He makes a good backup PG, so no need to get another one, focus on getting a starting SF and backup bigs

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:08 am
I just don't think Nate is in our price range.

Sure, this year we got him on the cheap cause he was bouncing back after his non-role on OKC... But dude is putting up 15 and 6 as a starter, with over 2 steals and 1 turnover in 33 minutes. I think if the Bulls are down to cherry-pick a guy like CJ Watson, there's bound to be an overpayer out there for Nate. He plays a premium position and when it comes down to it, even though you get the sense that he likes the Bay... He wants to start. And he's good enough to do it elsewhere.

Is anyone here down to invest over $5 million per in a backup PG? Cause I feel like he's looking at a 2-year, $12 million deal from Portland after this year. Raymond Felton will expire and Johnny Flynn is not quite ready to start full-time yet. Nate's also averaging over 20 PPG vs Boston, Miami, and Dallas this year, so it's conceivable that a contender might lose a bid for him (making him overpaid wherever he lands).

I like Nate too but unless you wanna pay him like a starter and tell him he can come to camp and compete for the starting job, he's probably gonna look elsewhere.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:38 pm
32 wrote:I just don't think Nate is in our price range.

Sure, this year we got him on the cheap cause he was bouncing back after his non-role on OKC... But dude is putting up 15 and 6 as a starter, with over 2 steals and 1 turnover in 33 minutes. I think if the Bulls are down to cherry-pick a guy like CJ Watson, there's bound to be an overpayer out there for Nate. He plays a premium position and when it comes down to it, even though you get the sense that he likes the Bay... He wants to start. And he's good enough to do it elsewhere.

Is anyone here down to invest over $5 million per in a backup PG? Cause I feel like he's looking at a 2-year, $12 million deal from Portland after this year. Raymond Felton will expire and Johnny Flynn is not quite ready to start full-time yet. Nate's also averaging over 20 PPG vs Boston, Miami, and Dallas this year, so it's conceivable that a contender might lose a bid for him (making him overpaid wherever he lands).

I like Nate too but unless you wanna pay him like a starter and tell him he can come to camp and compete for the starting job, he's probably gonna look elsewhere.

You may be right... there may be some that would overpay for him. I don't like him as a starter, I would say he is a backup PG on a good team. He may start on a bad team. I would venture to say he is worth about $3million a year, if he gets higher offer then that else where then let him walk and take your chances with Jenkins who is inexperienced, but is showing promise.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:32 pm
So, Robinson (as it stands now) is the superior player to Jenkins. But how much better is he exactly?

Is he 8 times better?

Cause if not, we shouldn't pay him as such. As far as backup PG options, I don't mind giving Jenkins the role... But the problem arises when we play out another scenario of Curry getting hurt. Is Jenkins ready to start? Sure, he won't bring you 27 points every night, but what's his line in a starter's role? 13 and 5? I'd take that for 8 times cheaper than Nate's 16 and 6.

As far as Rush goes, I'm fairly certain he's headed elsewhere next season. With the addition of Jefferson (coupled with Wright), the Warriors are already shelling out for swingmen... And I'm guessing we'll probably end up with a SG/SF in the draft.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:02 pm
You don't always get what you pay for, with that said there is a big difference between a guy that could start for several NBA teams and a guy that... well... couldn't. Nate is a proven commodity, I agree that we certainly wouldn't yield the additional value in correlation to their salaries, but I no matter who else is on the court, I don't want to see Jenkins thrown into a starting role at any point in the next season.

Personally I don't want either to be the no. 2 PG, we should scope out some defensive-minded vets with decent size - that would be a far better compliment to Curry.

Agreed about Rush, someone is going to overpay him. I'd like to see us deal Wright and keep him though.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:16 am
JREED wrote:You don't always get what you pay for, with that said there is a big difference between a guy that could start for several NBA teams and a guy that... well... couldn't. Nate is a proven commodity, I agree that we certainly wouldn't yield the additional value in correlation to their salaries, but I no matter who else is on the court, I don't want to see Jenkins thrown into a starting role at any point in the next season.

Personally I don't want either to be the no. 2 PG, we should scope out some defensive-minded vets with decent size - that would be a far better compliment to Curry.

Agreed about Rush, someone is going to overpay him. I'd like to see us deal Wright and keep him though.

I agree that another PG should be sought out, one that defends and passes well is most important. Nate is good, but not for more than 3 million a year and his appetite for shooting is not the best thing either, though the guy can play well at times.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:07 pm
I'd EASILY keep Rush over Nate. Rush is a much better defender, shooter, rebounder. Only problem is he's gonna cost more because he's catching eyes with his shooting this year. Nate wasn't a terrible pickup given what was available, but he's a 40% chucker, and either gives you something decent or nothing, but by the time you know he's already put up 8 shots. He's not a great creator for others, and with Curry's ankle problems we need a real PG as our backup. The draft may be our only hope (Machado should be available when we pick), but I would rather give Nate's minutes to Jenkins and focus on retaining Rush and McGuire. McGuire is pretty solid at everything but shooting. If that can improve that a little bit he will be even more valuable than he is now.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:10 pm
Oh yeah, there's a reason Dominic McGuire isn't an option; he'd be a poll-killer. As of now, I see our retainees in order of this importance: McGuire, Kwame Brown (rumor is, he'll be back next year), Rush, Robinson... And then the rest (benson, gladness, et al) are a grab-bag of who gives a sh*t.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball