The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:16 pm
we got rid of our second best prospect for a rental (Beltran is represented by scott boras). If we win another ring, its 100% worth it, regardless of how good Wheeler becomes. Other than that, it might be a costly move.

Only time will tell.
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:17 am
I'm hearing that because of the prospect we gave up, this wont be a rental if he performs well the rest of this season and doesn't ask for too much next season. We need a bat or this season is for nothing - sure we'll win the division but without a little more offense we wont stand a chance in the post season. Plus this move was a 2 for 1, considering that it was as much of a defensive acquisition to keep Beltran away from the Philies and the Braves. I'm please with the move, he was our best option.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:02 pm
BUT he will ask for too much... Scott Boras is his agent!

Wheeler might end up being a no body, so the deal 3 years from now might look like it is worth it. And if we win, it was so worth it, regardless of how wheeler ends up being. It is one of those deals where we need to wait a few years to completely judge how each team did.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:33 pm
I hate to throwout the old and over-used saying, "hindsight is 20/20", but regardless of how cliche that notion maybe it always holds true. We needed a bat, we got a bat, it was the right move because everything that happens after the fact is out of our hands. Even if Wheeler turns out to be a good starter and Beltran leaves next season, I wont regret it because we have an abundance of pitching and a shortage of offense which has caused a dramatic unbalance in the way that we value those two aspects of the game.

As a life-long Warrior fan, I'd drive myself nuts if I played the "Shoulda, coulda, woulda" game...

Rookie
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:33 pm
New season coming fellas and ladies.... Hopefully we can get through ST without any major issues. I expect BIG things from Pablo and Belt... and even bigger things from our Rotation!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:24 pm
DAMN... My Giants thread is still running strong!

Who starts at 1st base this year?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:03 am
Gonna be interesting how we do this year. Our division got better.

I am especially excited for the new wildcard. I proposed having a second wildcard team when I was in college a few years ago. I am glad to see people in MLB had a similar idea. Reward the division winner with a BYE and have the two wildcards slug it out in a do-or-die situation.

Cant wait!

GO GIANTS
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:47 am
I totally agree. You get the excitement of a one-game playoff in each league every year, and you reward the teams who win the division with a bye. They should have done this years ago.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:30 am
I sure hope Belt forces his way to first base, but then again, they need to find a spot for Pill. Kid reminds me of Troy Glaus with his swing. Effortless right handed POP.

With out rotation:

Timmy, Bum (Who btw is only 22 yo), Cain, Vogey, Zito (makes me cringe to even type that 5th starter)

Our line up is faster on the top but I def love the Cabrera pick up. He was damn good last year, and if he can keep up his production, he would be a nice addition. Not sure about Angel Pagan, but we will see. Hoping Buster Posey gets back to form and Pablo up his game to MVP status... I don't know about the rest of you but as much as I love Freddy, he probably wont stay healthy, hopefully, Pill can learn to play 2nd base more.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:41 pm
:dontknow: Pill's too broad to play second, I think.

The Giants have 3 preliminary starters that I'm interested to see:

#1 (no pun intended), Angel Pagan. The top of the lineup needs a major facelift. Granted, you could put Freddy Sanchez and anyone else up top and it'll look good, but when Freddy's on the DL it's good to have another bonafide 2-hole guy like Cabrera. Pagan needs an OBP of over .400 for Giants fans to fall in love with him (as his base running and fielding is a sight to behold), but if he struggles handling the bat, I'd love to see Cabrera slide over to insert a Belt or a Pill into LF. The Giants have too much going on to simply stand pat with another frustrating year out of the leadoff spot and the additions of Cabrera and Theriot put the heat on Pagan to get it done if he wants to stay in the lineup. The other outfielder I'm curious about is:

#2, Nate Schierholtz. While Giants fans adore Nate's sporadic (yet, orbital) pop and his laser, rocket arm... Giants brass would prefer to see that .315ish average come back more than anything. He should start the year in right, but if that bat doesn't show up, Belt should have first crack at any outfield spot opening up. Lastly:

#3, Aubrey Huff, just because (despite his résumé of good-then-bad-then-good seasons) he IS getting older... And that lineup is already sooo lefty heavy (ESPECIALLY if Belt wins a job), not to mention devoid of pop, that the Giants should do WHATEVER they can to get the broad-shouldered Pill into the upper-middle part of that lineup.

For some reason, I just believe Posey's bat will sling-shot the younger guys, like Belt, Crawford, and Pill. And when Posey's in the lineup, every Giants hitter can pretty much add 20 points to their average. It's incredible how much of a catalyst Posey is when he's right. He and Sandoval, added with Pill, should put away 20+ dingers each in 500 ABs.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:56 pm
Ideal Lineup to me:

1. Angel Pagan (S), CF - fastest guy on the team above Double-A; need his speed
2. Freddy Sanchez (R), 2B - best pure handler of a baseball bat in SF
3. Pablo Sandoval (S), 3B - he's earned it... and the protection of Posey will pay off huge
4. Buster Posey (R), C - money ball RBI man; 5th best hitter in NL West (Kemp, Tulo, Upton, CarGo, him)
5. Brandon Belt (L), LF - should throttle around .300 with 16ish bombs, just needs a shot
6. Bret Pill (R), 1B - potentially the best power bat in their lineup, needs to beat out Huff early
7. Melky Cabrera (S), RF - will probably hit higher, but I like him here
8. Brandon Crawford (L), SS - his glove is the main course; pray he hits .250
9. Matt Cain (R), P - Cainy should be in the derby; his power puts him above Bum and Vogey

Utility infielder: Ryan Theriot, can hit 1, 2, or 8.
Pinch hitter: Nate Schierholtz, always clubs +.300 as a PH.
Platoon at 1st: Aubrey Huff vs RHP; hope he regains 2010 form then give him the full-time job again
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:12 pm
32 wrote:Ideal Lineup to me:

1. Angel Pagan (S), CF - fastest guy on the team above Double-A; need his speed
2. Freddy Sanchez (R), 2B - best pure handler of a baseball bat in SF
3. Pablo Sandoval (S), 3B - he's earned it... and the protection of Posey will pay off huge
4. Buster Posey (R), C - money ball RBI man; 5th best hitter in NL West (Kemp, Tulo, Upton, CarGo, him)
5. Brandon Belt (L), LF - should throttle around .300 with 16ish bombs, just needs a shot
6. Bret Pill (R), 1B - potentially the best power bat in their lineup, needs to beat out Huff early
7. Melky Cabrera (S), RF - will probably hit higher, but I like him here
8. Brandon Crawford (L), SS - his glove is the main course; pray he hits .250
9. Matt Cain (R), P - Cainy should be in the derby; his power puts him above Bum and Vogey

Utility infielder: Ryan Theriot, can hit 1, 2, or 8.
Pinch hitter: Nate Schierholtz, always clubs +.300 as a PH.
Platoon at 1st: Aubrey Huff vs RHP; hope he regains 2010 form then give him the full-time job again
I'd like to see Belt in the out field to make room for others at 1st, but I doubt Pill will start any time soon. Huff is our biggest question right now, I haven't paid much attention to the first few spring training games so I wonder if they are gonna make a run with him in the outfield.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:45 pm
He popped a HR yesterday :dontknow:

I'm sure they'll give Huff every opportunity to pay back SOME of that $11 million this year. I still think Huff is a better option at AT&T, being a drill-happy right-handed pull-hitter.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:40 pm
With options like Andrew Susac and Tommy Joseph in the minor leagues, not to mention Hector Sanchez' switch hitting bat, WHY, oh WHY, are the Giants still seemingly set on either Stewart or Whiteside as the backup?

I'm tired of hearing about how well they handle the staff. Look at the staff. How hard can it be to make Lincecum, Bumgarner, and Romo look good?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:16 am
So Timmy got touched up a little bit, but Cabrera looked good. I'm more concerned about panda - he doesn't look too sharp defensively and he looks like he put back on that weight he lost before last season.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board