Trade Monta already!!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:27 pm
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:
hobbes wrote:I wouldn't mind Robin Lopez as long as it doesn't take an outrageous contract to get him. I wish we had used the amnesty on Biedrins, what a waste.

Do you believe either RLopez or Udoh can start?

I believe he'd be more serviceable than Biedrins.

As would I, but that was not the question.

If we're going to spend over $20 million on a multiyear deal for a center, I'd first and foremost like to target players that I can envision in the starting lineup. Lopez, while addressing our rebounding woes, is a redundant piece if we plan on keeping Udoh. Both are plus options coming off the bench, but are serviceable (at best) as a starting center. Udoh is a natural PF (and undersized), while Lopez is foul prone and completely offensively inept.

Just because Biedrins has fallen out of grace doesn't mean we should stockpile backup centers. That was the issue this year: neither Biedrins nor Brown was a true starter and (despite Bob Fitzgerald trying to spin how much Kwame contributed to the team), the Warriors have been outplayed at center almost entirely all season. It's time for an upgrade, not a replacement, for Brown.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:12 pm
32 wrote:
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:
hobbes wrote:I wouldn't mind Robin Lopez as long as it doesn't take an outrageous contract to get him. I wish we had used the amnesty on Biedrins, what a waste.

If we're going to spend over $20 million on a multiyear deal for a center, I'd first and foremost like to target players that I can envision in the starting lineup. Lopez, while addressing our rebounding woes, is a redundant piece if we plan on keeping Udoh. Both are plus options coming off the bench, but are serviceable (at best) as a starting center. Udoh is a natural PF (and undersized), while Lopez is foul prone and completely offensively inept.

Just because Biedrins has fallen out of grace doesn't mean we should stockpile backup centers. That was the issue this year: neither Biedrins nor Brown was a true starter and (despite Bob Fitzgerald trying to spin how much Kwame contributed to the team), the Warriors have been outplayed at center almost entirely all season. It's time for an upgrade, not a replacement, for Brown.

Well first off, he won't get 20 million dollars a year because I doubt anyone is willing to sign him to a 4 year contract. His qualifying offer is about 4 mil and he's definitely going to sign it because he's not going to get much more anywhere else. At most the Suns might offer him a 2-3 year contract worth 10-15 mil. That's what he'll get if he decides to hit the free agent market imo.

Secondly, our current roster does not have a serviceable starting or back up center. For me, Biedrins doesn't even do enough to be a back up center in this league, but the thing is he's getting paid 9 mil a year so we don't have the luxury of sitting him. Anyways, you're probably right. We need to invest all the money we have to acquire a reputable big man, but it doesn't look like that'll happen this upcoming year with most of them being restricted free agents and other teams having more money than we do. If we do get a reputable center, expect a whole bunch of people on this forum to say that we GROSSLY overpaid. At the end of the day though, anyone we bring in is going to be better than Beans.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:38 pm
Just play Udoh at C, and bring back Brown, at C for cheap. I would hate to get a beans 2.0... overpriced center stuck on a multi year contract that we can't shed. Then draft another C in the second round (assuming we have no 1st round).

Bring back Tyler to play backup PF some, and McGuire to play Starting SF. Trade d. Wright for a second rounder, and bring backup Rush and C. Wright to play backup SF. Let Robinson go so Jenkinns can get the backup PG spot, and then bring in another 2 pieces. I wouldn't mind trying to get a third backup PG for cheap who can compete for Jenkinns (i'd bring back Nate if it was for cheap). Or if you can get a quality backup PG like Sessions. Maybe see if we can get a risky big man... Randolph, Oden, who can compete for mins.

I just don't like the idea that we need to go big in FA when there isn't anyone out there worth it.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:15 pm
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:

Well first off, he won't get 20 million dollars a year because I doubt anyone is willing to sign him to a 4 year contract. His qualifying offer is about 4 mil and he's definitely going to sign it because he's not going to get much more anywhere else. At most the Suns might offer him a 2-3 year contract worth 10-15 mil. That's what he'll get if he decides to hit the free agent market imo.

Secondly, our current roster does not have a serviceable starting or back up center. For me, Biedrins doesn't even do enough to be a back up center in this league, but the thing is he's getting paid 9 mil a year so we don't have the luxury of sitting him. Anyways, you're probably right. We need to invest all the money we have to acquire a reputable big man, but it doesn't look like that'll happen this upcoming year with most of them being restricted free agents and other teams having more money than we do. If we do get a reputable center, expect a whole bunch of people on this forum to say that we GROSSLY overpaid. At the end of the day though, anyone we bring in is going to be better than Beans.

Oh, I wasn't saying he'd get $20 mill a year. I was figuring a 4-year, $20 million deal. If Kwame Brown can make $7 million, there will be at least a $5 million suitor for RLopez.

I seriously HOPE we overpay for a center. It's high time we shelled out a max deal for something consistent. I'm tired of bargain shopping, when the goal is superstar players. If any free agents are gonna talk turkey with the Golden State Warriors, somebody's gotta get Amar'e money.

And you're totally right. If $13 million for Ler is overpaid, just imagine the complaining there will be if we actually sign a center.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:17 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Just play Udoh at C, and bring back Brown, at C for cheap. I would hate to get a beans 2.0... overpriced center stuck on a multi year contract that we can't shed. Then draft another C in the second round (assuming we have no 1st round).

Bring back Tyler to play backup PF some, and McGuire to play Starting SF. Trade d. Wright for a second rounder, and bring backup Rush and C. Wright to play backup SF. Let Robinson go so Jenkinns can get the backup PG spot, and then bring in another 2 pieces. I wouldn't mind trying to get a third backup PG for cheap who can compete for Jenkinns (i'd bring back Nate if it was for cheap). Or if you can get a quality backup PG like Sessions. Maybe see if we can get a risky big man... Randolph, Oden, who can compete for mins.

I just don't like the idea that we need to go big in FA when there isn't anyone out there worth it.

You have a point, but standing pat at drafting in the late lottery hasn't exactly worked thus far. Without the assets to command a lottery pick in trade, you have to shed salary, overpay for stars, repeat. Role players will come on the cheap if the star players are good enough.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:32 am
Monta's last 5 games...

19 FGA's - 36.8%
16 FGA's - 62.5%
22 FGA's - 36.4%
22 FGA's - 45.5%
27 FGA's - 37.0%

That averages to 43.6% in 5 games....which is consistent with his FG% for the year.

That's how he scores. He shoots well for a couple games, and then the other 3 he will
shoot you out of ball games with his volume scorer mentality, usage rate, and endless freedom to do whatever he wants.

I don't know why we're so scared to trade this guy - who's never been an all star, never invited to
a Team USA camp (unlike Curry and Lee).

Not only is he a volume scorer, but he is a permanent defensive liability on a team with enough of them. The thing is, the other two players Curry and Lee will give you other dimensions like rebounding, passing, and more intangibles that build chemistry. And their positions of PG and a big man are more pivotal to building a team.

Don't know why the FO is so scared to trade Monta, even for someone like Kaman. Inaction at this point is worse because you're not developing Klay Thompson as much with Ellis on the team.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:14 am
Instead of Trading Monta I suggest we trade D. Wright. Get him out of the lineup. It is a small move, but he is ineffective on both sides, and if we can get a backup big... may be worth it. Getting our players in the right positions could also help us win games, but in the end the best benefit would be clearing minuets in that SF spot for the others to compete for. Wouldn't mind trading D. Wright for A. Randolph. All the rumors say that Minnesota is looking to add a SG, and Randolph isn't getting many minutes there anyway. We get rid of Wrights 4 million for next year (which Mine can easily absorb), and we could have the option of bringing Randolph back next year or not. Randolph can score too, and can block shots. He is better then when he left here, so wouldn't mind giving him another look with our new coaching staff.

Curry - Robinson - Jenkins
Ellis - Thompson -
McGuire - Rush - C. Wright
Lee - A. Randolph
Udoh - Tyler - Beans

I would love to get rid of Beans contract, just doesn't seem like anyone would want to take that on (unless we were to give them draft picks which we don't have). It is a small change, but I think it would be a good one. I am always an advocate for making steps in the right direction if they even if they are small.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:14 pm
After watching the game at the Oracle last night... I may have to agree with that. Defensively, i watched him get torched by both Tony Allen and Rudy Gay (they played tea party, going to whoever Dorrell was(n't) guarding. Offensively, teams have learned to close out on his initial jumper and even during halftime or pregame practice, DWright is flat off the dribble. His pump fake would be nice if he could draw fouls with it at all or open up the drive (like Rush), but he just seems disinterested.

The guy behind me last night (amidst blowing MGasol and talking about his - the fan's - family, like anyone in shouting range cares) said "as far as I'm concerned, Wright is playing like Biedrins this year." Only worthwhile statement he made all night, but it's damn hard to disagree with.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:02 pm
I've been saying it for a while now that Dorell sucks this year. Really pathetic effort from his part for most of the games. When we got him he was praised as a good defender, and then his threes came out of nowhere, it sounded like we finally got a good player for cheap. And then, he can't hit a three, can't go inside, and he forgot how to play D all of a sudden.

I'm all for trading him, but I'm afraid that his value is quite low at the moment. Much more than it was after the last season, when we should have dealt him and Monta in a package and amnestied Beans, and not bloody Bell.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:06 pm
... Who could have helped our backup PG problems, especially for 3 and on defense, would have expired after this year anyway, and would have eliminated the need to spend MORE money to acquire KryptoNate.

Man, that amnesty pass on Biedrins just keeps looking worse and worse, huh?
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:33 pm
I like Nate as a person. But he just wants to do too much on the court. I love his intensity, but he needs to think a bit more, and charge head down a bit less.

I don't know how much Bell would have helped, his career is over, but at least we would have that cap room that Beans' amnesty would open up, and after the season we'd get what we did now with that amnesty we spent on Bell. If we amnestied Beans it's more likely that we would have money to offer Jordan more money, or Chandler...or at least we would have that money now, for these upcoming FAs, and there are a lot of good names there.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:02 pm
Well, comparatively speaking, Bell vs Robinson on defense isn't even close. Charlie Bell is not only a hard-nosed defender, but he's smart and crafty. Even in limited minutes that meant nothing last year, his defense always seemed efforted and sharp.

Offensively... The battle goes to Robinson in a landslide, but what were Bell's only advantages? He was a sharp 3-point shooter (whereas Nate is a volume guy) and Charlie Bell (to make a point) is a real point guard. And that's something you can't say about Ellis, Curry, or even Robinson. If any of those 3 are born 6'5" or taller, there isn't even a discussion. Curry, obviously, has made the smoothest transition, but it'd be nice to have a real point guard on the bench who isn't a rookie...

The salary advantages to amnesty'ing Biedrins are self explanatory and I have nothing further to add except: yes, we totally should have used it on him.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:16 pm
Andrew Bogut is currently out while his fractured left ankle heals and he's hoping to return sometime before the end of the season.

Despite all his injuries the last few years, there are a good number of teams that would like to acquire the center and he might like a new situation.

Gery Woelfel of The Journal Times writes: "There are whispers Bogut wouldn't mind a change of scenery, having become frustrated about the team's lack of progress and his strained relationship with Bucks head coach Scott Skiles. ... Some Bucks claim the Bogut-Skiles relationship was especially acrimonious last season when they seldom communicated with each other."

Bogut has two more years on his contract and he's set to earn $13 million in 2012-13 and $14 million in 2013-14.

The Bucks are desperate to move Stephen Jackson and they'd insist any team wanting Bogut must take the swingman, too.

The Bucks wouldn't even consider trading Bogut if he wasn't hurt the last two years, but his inability to stay healthy may have changed their thinking.

id take a risk on bogut.... even if it meant taking back stephen jackson... monta +andris for bogut + jackson?????
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:53 pm
8th ave wrote:
Andrew Bogut is currently out while his fractured left ankle heals and he's hoping to return sometime before the end of the season.

Despite all his injuries the last few years, there are a good number of teams that would like to acquire the center and he might like a new situation.

Gery Woelfel of The Journal Times writes: "There are whispers Bogut wouldn't mind a change of scenery, having become frustrated about the team's lack of progress and his strained relationship with Bucks head coach Scott Skiles. ... Some Bucks claim the Bogut-Skiles relationship was especially acrimonious last season when they seldom communicated with each other."

Bogut has two more years on his contract and he's set to earn $13 million in 2012-13 and $14 million in 2013-14.

The Bucks are desperate to move Stephen Jackson and they'd insist any team wanting Bogut must take the swingman, too.

The Bucks wouldn't even consider trading Bogut if he wasn't hurt the last two years, but his inability to stay healthy may have changed their thinking.

id take a risk on bogut.... even if it meant taking back stephen jackson... monta +andris for bogut + jackson?????

How about Bogut and Jackson for Brown, Udoh, Klay and Dorel. We might have to take 1 more back to make the numbers work, but I think this would be more likely suitable to Milwaukee with expiring and Udoh and Klay being the pieces they could use to rebuild. Where Monta wouldn't be a rebuild piece, and the contracts of Beans and Monat are too big. $60 million for the next 3 years for both....

I just think that Milwaukee wouldn't do it... I don't know if I would trade Udoh and Klay for a hurt Bogut though. And what do you do with Capt. Jack?

Contracts:
Andrew Bogut: $12,100,000, $13,150,000, $14,200,000
Stephen Jackson: $9,260,000 $10,060,000

Kwame Brown: $7,000,000
Dorell Wright: $3,800,000, $4,100,000
Ekpe Udoh: $3,294,960, $3,524,880, TEAM OPT, RFA
Klay Thompso:n $2,126,520, $2,286,000, TEAM OPT, TEAM OPT, RFA

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:15 pm
Brown can't be traded and i don't want to trade Klay.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball