What's the winning formula / plan / identity?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:37 pm
I've been wondering for a while what this team's formula for winning is, what's their identity and are they trying to develop one? You look at good teams around the league, they have an identity and a formula. For the Heat it's the Lebron and Wade show with role players and aggressive D which fuels their fast break. It's a huge thing that separates good and bad teams. Good teams have sort of a deliberate mentality of exercising their bread and butter. This team seems to just be "winging it." When you have guys like midget mighty mouse Nate Robinson taking the last shots in crunch time, you gotta ask yourself: seriously? THAT is our best option? Who's making the decisions? In recent years, it's been Monta-ball or Nellie ball. Has Monta-ball ever worked? Has the Curry-Monta backcourt worked? If that is our formula, it's a failing one. So why is the FO so committed to a failing formula. And if you have a consistently failing or mediocre formula, shouldn't a change be made? One thing's for sure, it's hard for Mark Jackson's defensive philosophy to align with the players when the top 3 players are some of the worst defenders in the league.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:55 am
I think most of us are wondering the same thing. I am hoping some sort of big trade will establish our indentity.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:49 pm
Changes need to be made, but they need to be constructive. Build on what you have, not remove your best pieces. If you remove your best pieces for other pieces, you are going to continue to have failing "formula's". This team needs an identity, yes. But that needs to come from a coaching perspective, and also from building on what you have.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:42 pm
Defense, defense, and more defense.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:48 pm
We are a fastbreak team being made into a pick-and-roll team.

Because of where the Warriors have come from, it's difficult to just change an identity. Players are used to hoisting up early shots, leaking out on the break, and settling for as many outside jumpers as the defense gives them. It's hard for them (meaning Monta, Steph, and Dorrell) to just change overnight, but Jackson is doing what he can to get them to work from the inside out, slow the offense down with a lead, and stay down on the defensive end. After being turned 100% loose by Don Nelson and his successor Keith Smart, it's hard to convince players that keeping their position and cutting off a defender is more important than playing the passing lanes and jumping at ever head fake.

Sooo, in conclusion, I'd say the team's identity is a pick-and-roll offense with a lot of outside weapons... But we won't see it come to fruition until the team's elder personnel bleeds out its need to constantly be fast-breaking.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:20 am
whoops.... didn't read your post, just read the title...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:42 am
We are in the presses of changing our mindset from offence to defence but it is impossible with our current roster. So a lot of changes must be made and it is logical until we make them that we will suck.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:08 pm
With Bogut and Lee next year, I see Mark Jackson employing a double post, high and low, where you force double teams through pounding the ball inside. The backcourt of Curry and Thompson might be the purest shooting tandem in the league, and our 3's can all shoot too (except McGuire). Run a low post through Bogut, high elbow option through Lee, and endless pick and rolls for Curry. Thompson is a runner off the ball that keeps everyone else free by constantly moving. Plant a SF on the 3-point line to flash in or sneak over to the corner... Man, that offense is dangerous. You lack a true isolation player, so your X's and O's need to be spot on, but boy that lineup can do a lot. Bogut has the size to make a game against a small team absolutely automatic... And having Lee on the other post effectively puts the other team's smaller (typically worse) big man defender on your best offensive big. Need I even bring up that Thompson and Curry (a couple under-athletic guards that have shot through triple teams at the collegiate level) will FEAST HUNGRILY on double teams.

Defensively, Bogut gives you the luxurious freedom to comfortably play a zone and conserve energy (something Lee and the backcourt are far more capable of playing). Not only that, but one-on-one, he will make Kwame Brown and Andris Biedrins look like children; dude can take charges from quick bigs like Amar'e (who'd pick up fouls on Udoh or blow by any other big option). Bogut can put a body on completely average oversized centers who have had career nights blowing up on Golden State and shut them completely down (*cough* GORTAT). This is not to say that the skilled-but-slow-footed brigade of Lee, Curry, and Thompson won't occasionally let a cutter slip and put cheap fouls on the big guy, but I hope the Warriors fans understand what Bogut means to this franchise. He might miss some games, he'll get posterized from time to time, and he'll be made to sit out for long periods of foul trouble on certain nights. But Andrew Bogut is a luxury on the defensive end that may not fix Golden State's deep-rooted problems on defense, but Warriors fans should know that he will undisputabky make it look and execute a WHOLE LOT BETTER than it has in over 30 years. He will transform two of their biggest issues (defense and size) and turn them into strengths of the team.

There will be moments next year where the Golden State Warriors flat out BULLY someone. There is a lot to get excited about when it pertains to the identity of this team. From Bogut and Lee down to Wright and Thompson, you are BIG at every position. Grab hold of the bandwagon, cause things be changin here in the Bay Area.
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:50 pm
Yeah, I'm feeling optimistic about next season with the stipulation that 2 of our injured stars can stay healthy - of course that's always a concern for every team, but without them, we suck. I still don't think we're done yet with moves - I liked the idea Kawakami had about us trading up in the draft.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:33 pm
Yeah, Lacob hinted hard that they were dangling a 3-for-1 swap with Utah to get their pick back.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:34 pm
Not so fast, the Warriors still have plenty of time to tank down low enough.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 am
WarriorHawk87 wrote:Not so fast, the Warriors still have plenty of time to tank down low enough.

That's right, the team has dropped to 8th and still has a chance, though a small one, to get to at least 7th worst by season end

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:28 am
Hey, no argument here. I'm all for the idea of keeping the other 3 and rolling the dice on a top 7 pick. But Lacob and Riley seem paranoid about our conditional first rounder.

Suppose are lottery pick lands in the 8-16 range. Is anyone down to trade 3 picks to move up to that spot? Cause, to me, 3 picks are more valuable than a late lottery pick.

Return to Warriors Basketball