Magic Reach Out For MONTA ELLIS

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:40 pm
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 4/35048132

Is there any combination of Magic players you'd deal Ellis for, NOT involving D12?

To me, there's really not. Rod Brooks is suggesting you involve a 3rd team to give GS either a starting center or a guaranteed lottery pick. That's not a bad idea, but I can't believe the Magic would be able to find that.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:28 pm
This is my first post. But I can't see any players on the magic that have value for Monta Ellis. D12 is really their only asset. Their frist round pick is gonna be late too so that doesn't help. Who are they even trying to sweeten the deal with? Ryan Anderson and Jameer Nelson aren't as valuable as david lee and curry.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:48 pm
the first thing i thought when i heard the magic were interested was who in god's name would we even want. the only thing that would be intriguing would be a 2014 pick which could be high if the magic lose howard and then have a rebuilding year, but that's not worth monta in my opinion.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:58 pm
we do have a ellis trade thread. just saying.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:09 pm
Sure... I suppose I wanted to separate the actual story of Ellis being coveted by Orlando (which could, very well, end up in a trade) versus the generic thread where we're all throwing our best fictitious trades against the wall. :dontknow:

This thread is dedicated to the factual report of Orlando approaching the Warriors about acquiring Monta Ellis.

That being said... Can we swing a 3-team deal with Chicago? Possibly convince Chicago that a Ryan Anderson package involving Orlando's late 1st round pick is worth Joakim Noah, since the Bulls are famously high on Omar Asik? Does anyone feel that this is fair for all parties:

GOLDEN STATE
+ Joakim Noah
- Monta Ellis

PG - Stephen Curry / Nate Robinson
SG - Klay Thompson / Brandon Rush
SF - Dorrell Wright / Dominic McGuire
PF - David Lee / Epke Udoh
C - Joakim Noah / Andris Biedrins

ORLANDO MAGIC
+ Monta Ellis
- Ryan Anderson, JJ Reddick, Earl Clark

PG - Jameer Nelson / Chris Duhon
SG - Monta Ellis / Jason Richardson
SF - Hedo Turkoglu / Quentin Richardson
PF - Glen Davis /
C - Dwight Howard / Daniel Orton

CHICAGO BULLS
+ Ryan Anderson, JJ Reddick, Earl Clark, ORL 2012 1st round pick
- Joakim Noah

PG - Derek Rose / CJ Watson
SG - Ronnie Brewer / Rip Hamilton
SF - Luol Deng / JJ Reddick / Earl Clark
PF - Carlos Boozer / Ryan Anderson
C - O'Mar Asik / Taj Gibson

Golden State and Orlando both get immediately better. I'd say Chicago's plethora of options at center gives them the opportunity to solidify their bench unit, while putting a big building block next to DRose for after Boozer's contract runs out. I think it's a deal that benefits all 3 teams.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:32 pm
I see restriction in trading Monta to the Magic without a 3rd team involved. The big elephant in the room of course is Dwight Howard. Names we have heard if Dwight gets traded is the team taking along Hedo's contract as well.

At this point the Magic want something in return for Dwight knowing he won't sign next year, similar to the jazz and Deron Williams.

After reading DHoward is not invloved then its a no go, Magic have no chips to offer the warriors, as everyone has mentioned. Ryan Anderson ? Jrich ? Big Baby ? this would be a trade helping the magic in hopes of retaining Howard. They better trade Howard for assets the guy has stated clearly he will not resign.

AM not sure the Bulls budge on trading their young center for Ryan Anderson, as much as they might like Asik.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:52 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:At this point the Magic want something in return for Dwight knowing he won't sign next year, similar to the jazz and Deron Williams.

Agree with everything except this point.

In fact, I believe that's the key difference between them. Orlando is making like Cleveland; trying like hell to keep D12, but seemingly comfortable with the idea of a year in the dumps to get cap space and a high pick. Utah, meanwhile, parlayed their star into a package of distractably serviceable players around a good piece (Favors... In Denver's case, the player was Gallinari).

I think New Orleans is the only team to suck hard enough to get two lottery picks AND swindle a building block (like EGordon) away from their suitor. Stern could slight of hand a 6-year old's piggy bank in his sleep...

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:32 am
32 wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:At this point the Magic want something in return for Dwight knowing he won't sign next year, similar to the jazz and Deron Williams.

In fact, I believe that's the key difference between them. Orlando is making like Cleveland; trying like hell to keep D12, but seemingly comfortable with the idea of a year in the dumps to get cap space and a high pick. Utah, meanwhile, parlayed their star into a package of distractably serviceable players around a good piece (Favors... In Denver's case, the player was Gallinari).

I think New Orleans is the only team to suck hard enough to get two lottery picks AND swindle a building block (like EGordon) away from their suitor. Stern could slight of hand a 6-year old's piggy bank in his sleep...

The magic in their attempt to make Howard stay will only exhaust themselves and their fan if that is not the case.

That won't be a bad route to go for the magic, to get the cap space, and high draft pick, but it will be a long year for them, not to mention the high draft pick is not guaranteed. If I was the Magic, I would go the the Denver, Utah route, and get as much for Howard as possible.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:35 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
32 wrote:

The magic in their attempt to make Howard stay will only exhaust themselves and their fan if that is not the case.

That won't be a bad route to go for the magic, to get the cap space, and high draft pick, but it will be a long year for them, not to mention the high draft pick is not guaranteed. If I was the Magic, I would go the the Denver, Utah route, and get as much for Howard as possible.

Well, yeah, cause its a sure thing. But we can't really evaluate Cleveland's strategy for another year. Kyrie Irving is a great pick, but Tristen Thompson is the one who'll decide if the Cav's did it the right way or not.

I believe Cleveland is trying to form their own OKC team from the ground up. That's the ultimate strategy, but if Thompson busts... Who knows where they'll be.

The same holds true for Howard's team. The Magic should get 2 early lottery picks 2 years in a row to jump start their rebuild. We'll see how it ends up.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:16 pm
i dont think chicago gonna break that team up... their team is good as it is... plus rose already said he didnt request to trade noah. IF they wanted to trade noah, lakers gasol seems like a better deal for them. the most we are going to get out of ellis is expiring contract... hes not worth for other teams to give up their stars.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:05 pm
facue420 wrote:i dont think chicago gonna break that team up... their team is good as it is... plus rose already said he didnt request to trade noah. IF they wanted to trade noah, lakers gasol seems like a better deal for them. the most we are going to get out of ellis is expiring contract... hes not worth for other teams to give up their stars.

What about the Kings?

Convince them to take a Ryan Anderson package and we'll cherry-pick either JJ Hickson or Jason Thompson, plus maybe Ferdette or Thorton? We're stocked at the SG spot; wouldn't you like to see David Lee paired with a true banger like Hickson? Obviously, the fiction is more pleasant to envision with a healthy Steph Curry.

But I just can't help but believe a starting center would fix more issues than the superstar scoring of Monta Ellis...

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:43 pm
32 wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
32 wrote:

Well, yeah, cause its a sure thing. But we can't really evaluate Cleveland's strategy for another year. Kyrie Irving is a great pick, but Tristen Thompson is the one who'll decide if the Cav's did it the right way or not.

I believe Cleveland is trying to form their own OKC team from the ground up. That's the ultimate strategy, but if Thompson busts... Who knows where they'll be.

The same holds true for Howard's team. The Magic should get 2 early lottery picks 2 years in a row to jump start their rebuild. We'll see how it ends up.

Yea excellent dissection, OKC got lucky landing Durant and Westbrook has progressed as a young elite PG, along with James Harden of the bench, damn. While we are on the subject of young developing team Minnesota also comes to mind, they sucked for the longest time, but stock piled on draft picks. Hint for the warriors, looks like the warriors have done it wrong this whole entire time, sometimes a team has to start from bottom and move their way up for a successful future. So as it relates to this topic I think Orlando can get enough for DHoward, that they can compete for years to come, as for the warriors blow it up, its time, this cycle needs to end. Being stuck in below mediocrity is not good for us fans.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:23 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
32 wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
32 wrote:

Yea excellent dissection, OKC got lucky landing Durant and Westbrook has progressed as a young elite PG, along with James Harden of the bench, damn. While we are on the subject of young developing team Minnesota also comes to mind, they sucked for the longest time, but stock piled on draft picks. Hint for the warriors, looks like the warriors have done it wrong this whole entire time, sometimes a team has to start from bottom and move their way up for a successful future. So as it relates to this topic I think Orlando can get enough for DHoward, that they can compete for years to come, as for the warriors blow it up, its time, this cycle needs to end. Being stuck in below mediocrity is not good for us fans.

Great point. How smart do the Timberwolves look?

The Love-for-Mayo trade was pure robbery, in retrospect. And then taking Rubio and holding out until he got there... What a coup! Derrick Williams (or more specifically, his trade value) will push them to another level as well. If they could figure out that center situation (Perovic?), they're playoff worthy no doubt.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:04 pm
32 wrote:
facue420 wrote:i dont think chicago gonna break that team up... their team is good as it is... plus rose already said he didnt request to trade noah. IF they wanted to trade noah, lakers gasol seems like a better deal for them. the most we are going to get out of ellis is expiring contract... hes not worth for other teams to give up their stars.

What about the Kings?

Convince them to take a Ryan Anderson package and we'll cherry-pick either JJ Hickson or Jason Thompson, plus maybe Ferdette or Thorton? We're stocked at the SG spot; wouldn't you like to see David Lee paired with a true banger like Hickson? Obviously, the fiction is more pleasant to envision with a healthy Steph Curry.

But I just can't help but believe a starting center would fix more issues than the superstar scoring of Monta Ellis...

yah, i always thought we need a sized center to boost us to another level, instead of getting jj hickson or jason thompson (they are both sucked at center and undersized when going up against dwight, bynum, gasol...etc) i thought maybe robin lopez is a better choice, he can score off borad, post ups, blocks and got some mid range games,
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 am
facue420 wrote:
32 wrote:

What about the Kings?

yah, i always thought we need a sized center to boost us to another level, instead of getting jj hickson or jason thompson (they are both sucked at center and undersized when going up against dwight, bynum, gasol...etc) i thought maybe robin lopez is a better choice, he can score off borad, post ups, blocks and got some mid range games,

Thompson is 6'11", 250 lbs... That's pretty close to an ideal size upgrade.

And game-vs-game, I'd waaaay rather have him than Robin Lopez. Lopez has the extra inch, but Thompson doubles him in PER. I dunno if I agree with Lopez having post skills or medium range, but Thompson sure does (along with being a gritty rebounder/defender). Look at his current season: 8 points (on 50%) and 6 rebounds (2+ offensive) off the bench in 24 minutes. That's ideally what we want to pair with Udoh; a big who can rebound and score. Lopez is getting 4 and 3 (on 42%), committing a higher percentage of fouls in 12 minutes.

Granted, I'd like to get more back for Ellis than Thompson, Ferdette, and a bad contract, but... Point guard depth and a bonafide center seem like ideal dowry if we can't get a pick or a star.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball