Jeremy Lin

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 pm
Guybrush wrote:Here you go, tonight he played nearly 40 minutes, had 26 points, but his assists went where they probably should be, to 5...and his huge number of turnovers instead of going down, went up to 9...and, imagine, Knicks lost to terrible Hornets.

yeah I was going to comment about his high TO total that everyone seems to completely ignore, except for the guys that are in charge of displaying the stats on ESPN, they always show his 8 or so TOs but nobody talks about it.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:02 pm
ESPN is in hot water over this headline they ran on Friday night.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:15 pm
looks like someone will be getting fired.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:39 pm
who cares if he turns the ball over if his record is 7-1 if not 8-1?? he holds the ball 80% of the time, he plays 40+ mins per game, and MOST IMPORTANTLY hes winning the ball game for KNICKS who was on losing streak.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:11 pm
facue420 wrote:who cares if he turns the ball over if his record is 7-1 if not 8-1?? he holds the ball 80% of the time, he plays 40+ mins per game, and MOST IMPORTANTLY hes winning the ball game for KNICKS who was on losing streak.

..... I would care, I bet you he does too. Turnovers on a nightly basis will catch up with you eventually, especially against the good teams on ROAD.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:25 pm
DleagueDelight wrote:
facue420 wrote:who cares if he turns the ball over if his record is 7-1 if not 8-1?? he holds the ball 80% of the time, he plays 40+ mins per game, and MOST IMPORTANTLY hes winning the ball game for KNICKS who was on losing streak.

..... I would care, I bet you he does too. Turnovers on a nightly basis will catch up with you eventually, especially against the good teams on ROAD.

he turned the ball over from tried to set up his teammates for easy buckets, its not like he did stupid pass.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:59 pm
facue420 wrote:
DleagueDelight wrote:

he turned the ball over from tried to set up his teammates for easy buckets, its not like he did stupid pass.

Eh. Excuses are like rectums. You can't throw the ball away 7 times on a bunch of smart plays. And this 6-game streak of 6 or more turn-overs is an all-time record. He's gotta definitely learn to cut down on dumb give-aways. There's not a coach in the league that would trade 7 turn-overs for 10 assists.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:06 am
China's new sports problem
Stop the Linsanity?

Feb 20th 2012, 2:47 by G.E. | BEIJING

EARLY this morning—for viewers in China—the New York Knicks of the new Taiwanese-American hero Jeremy Lin played against the Dallas Mavericks and with them China’s current standard-bearer in the NBA: the 7-foot-tall Yi Jianlian, a high draft pick who has proven a disappointment in America. Mr Yi's Mavericks lost the game, 104-97, but the bigger loser was Chinese soft power.

Mr Lin has quickly amassed a huge following among Chinese basketball fans (and this country does love basketball). This poses a bit of a conundrum for Chinese authorities for a number of reasons. The most obvious is that Mr Lin is an American who is proudly of Taiwanese descent, which would seem to complicate China’s efforts to claim him (and oh how they have tried already—on which, more below).

But there are three other reasons Mr Lin’s stardom could fluster the authorities. First, he is very openly Christian, and the Communist Party is deeply wary of the deeply religious (notably on those within its own ranks). Second, he is not a big centre or forward, the varietals which are the chief mainland Chinese export to the NBA, including the Mavericks’ Mr Yi; and of course he came out of nowhere to become a star, having been educated at the most prestigious university in America, Harvard.

Mr Lin is, put plainly, precisely everything that China’s state sport system cannot possibly produce. If Mr Lin were to have been born and raised in China, his height alone might have denied him entry into China’s sport machine, as Time’s Hannah Beech points out: “Firstly, at a mere 6’3”—relatively short by basketball standards—Lin might not have registered with Chinese basketball scouts, who in their quest for suitable kids to funnel into the state sports system are obsessed with height over any individual passion for hoops.” Even when Mr Lin was still a young boy, one look at his parents, each of unremarkable stature, would have made evaluators sceptical. Ms Beech’s other half happens to be Brook Larmer, the author of the fascinating book “Operation Yao Ming”, which details how Chinese authorities contrived to create China’s most successful basketball star, Mr Yao, the product of tall parents who were themselves Chinese national basketball team players. The machine excels at identifying, processing and churning out physical specimens—and it does so exceedingly well for individual sports, as it will again prove in London this year. But it happens to lack the nuance and creativity necessary for team sport.

What of Mr Lin’s faith? If by chance Mr Lin were to have gained entry into the sport system, he would not have emerged a Christian, at least not openly so. China has tens of millions of Christians, and officially tolerates Christianity; but the Communist Party bars religion from its membership and institutions, and religion has no place in its sports model. One does not see Chinese athletes thanking God for their gifts; their coach and Communist Party leaders, yes, but Jesus Christ the Saviour? No.

Then there is the fact that Mr Lin’s parents probably never would have allowed him anywhere near the Chinese sport system in the first place. This is because to put one’s child (and in China, usually an only child at that) in the sport system is to surrender that child’s upbringing and education to a bureaucracy that cares for little but whether he or she will win medals someday. If Mr Lin were ultimately to be injured or wash out as an athlete, he would have given up his only chance at an elite education, and been separated from his parents for lengthy stretches, for nothing. (One must add to this the problem of endemic corruption in Chinese sport that also scares away parents—Chinese football referee Lu Jun, once heralded as the “golden whistle” for his probity, was sentenced to jail last week as part of a massive match-fixing scandal). Most Chinese parents, understandably, prefer to see their children focus on schooling and exams.

In America, meanwhile, athletic excellence actually can open doors to an elite education, through scholarships and recruitment. Harvard does not provide athletic scholarships, but it does recruit players who also happen to be academic stars. There is no real equivalent in China.

So China almost certainly has other potential Jeremy Lins out there, but there is no path for them to follow. This also helps explain, as we have noted at length, why China fails at another sport it loves, football. Granted, Mr Lin’s own path to stardom is in itself unprecedented, but in America, the unprecedented is possible. Chinese basketball fans have taken note of this. Mr Lin’s story may be a great and inspiring proof of athleticism to the Chinese people, but it is also unavoidably a story of American soft power.

Some authorities in China have responded, as might be expected, by trying to appropriate Mr Lin. The Chinese city of Pinghu, in coastal Zhejiang Province, sent a missive to its recently remembered former resident, Mr Lin’s grandmother on his mother’s side; officials crowed that she was pleased by the attention her hometown is paying to her grandson’s success. Xinhua, China’s official news service, published a fanciful article urging Mr Lin to take Chinese citizenship and join the national team of the People’s Republic.

Mr Lin’s Taiwanese family background seems to pose a special problem. China Central Television (CCTV), the national monopoly that broadcasts NBA games, has not joined in Linsanity. A game featuring Mr Lin a week ago, against the Minnesota Timberwolves, was broadcast on Beijing TV’s sport channel, but the broadcast included the forbidden image of the Taiwanese national flag, held proudly by fans in the stands. (The flag is typically blurred in China if it must appear in news footage). Chinese netizens noticed, and wondered if that would bring a punishment, or a tape delay. CCTV, for its part, told Netease, a Chinese internet portal, that most Knicks games couldn’t be shown due to the “time difference”, “but if time allows, games of the Knicks will definitely be broadcasted preferentially.”

That remains to be seen. Fortunately for Chinese sport fans, the internet provides a ready-made alternative to the state television system. Most of Mr Lin’s games are being made available by live stream on the portal Sina.com. This morning’s game against Mr Yi’s Mavericks was a rather interesting exception, a mysterious little black hole on Sina.com’s NBA schedule. Frustrated Chinese fans had to go looking for dodgier streams elsewhere online. What they found was a closely fought game between the two teams, with Mr Lin again starring and leading the Knicks to victory. More poignantly, they found their countryman, Mr Yi, remain on the bench for the entire game, reduced to the role of spectator. It was a glimpse of the Chinese sport system versus American soft power. Perhaps it was not fit for viewing.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2012/02/chinas-new-sports-problem
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:16 am
i wanted to write all of this day's ago but i couldn't be bothered.
http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2012/2 ... -and-lacob

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

Rookie
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:10 am
facue420 wrote:
DleagueDelight wrote:

Passes yes but a few of them on consecutive possessions were just careless dribbling and exposing the basketball for easy steals. Bottom line is TO rate needs to come down.

On a side note, the 5 steals were pretty impressive so that helped ease the 7 TOs.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:41 pm
Found this funny:
http://www.nba.com/knicks/video/2012/02/21/LinVidFinalmov-2011125?ls=iref:nbahpt2
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:04 pm
And then Knicks ran at Heat and Linsanity had 8 points (shooting 1 of 11), 3 assists and 8 TOs. I'll say it now again, cause I said it when he had too big of a numbers, so it's only fair to say that these numbers as well are a bit lower than his average play is going to be, IMO.

But, still, I think this is a bit closer to reality. And those TOs are not getting better.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:43 am
Guybrush wrote:And then Knicks ran at Heat and Linsanity had 8 points (shooting 1 of 11), 3 assists and 8 TOs. I'll say it now again, cause I said it when he had too big of a numbers, so it's only fair to say that these numbers as well are a bit lower than his average play is going to be, IMO.

But, still, I think this is a bit closer to reality. And those TOs are not getting better.

I'm with you, but as I said, I won't really lay the hammer down until 3 months in.

At this point, I'm sure there's plenty of people more than willing to point out that it was just one game and you can't judge him so quickly and he'll bounce back and the HEAT are actually a good team and blah blah blah. I wonder if the crowd will go nuts about it if it hits 2 and a half games in a row...
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:21 pm
Last night was, by far, Lin's best game as a Knick. Sure he didn't score 38 points like he against the Lakers, but he ran that offense beautifully against the Cavs. His line: 19 points, 13 assists, 5 rebounds and 1 turnover. Yup, thats 1 turnover. He also played within the game and Anthony still got his 16 shots and 22 points up.

Can you blame Kobe for saying that the Warriors front should be fired? Here is the problem with the Warriors and it has been this way for the past 10 years. They just don't have the patience to build a team. Its either win or go find yourself another job for the coaches and thats a lot of pressure. So what coaches like Keith Smart do? They don't develop the young talent they have. Instead, the play guys like Curry 33 minutes and Ellis 40 a game in hopes of winning. Who suffers besides the fans? All the young players on the bench trying to prove something and last season, that player was Jeremy Lin. This has been the case since Mike Montgomery and Eric Musselman. Two coaches brought in to coach a losing team to victories and when it didn't happen, they were fired.

Lets face it, it was clear last season that they weren't a playoff team. What harm would it have done if they gave Lin 20 minutes per game instead of 9 garbage minutes? This is what I don't get. Lin has an awesome Summer League and was propelled into the spotlight with his performance against the #1 overall pick, John Wall. He not only held his own, but at times, abused Wall. So what happens? They sign him to a contract just so that he doesn't play? Really? I don't believe the whole "they didn't know what they had" excuse because they did know what they had. They just didn't want to evaluate him thoroughly because they were too busy trying to win games. At some point, a team has to realize they aren't a playoff team and focus on developing players. Mark Jackson is doing the exact same thing now. He went on record with this whole "making the playoffs' thing and now he's doing everything he can to make sure he can keep his word leaving guys like Klay Thompson rot on the bench.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:43 pm
He's for sure making it look like us doubters are gonna have to eat our words... A month down and Lin is still at it. Alongside NY's stars, no less. Gimmie 2 more, Jeremy, and I'll be on the wagon.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball