Closing Out Games

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:20 pm
This has to be the worst team I have ever seen in terms of closing out games, I think we've led in the 4th quarter of almost every loss this year. What I don't understand is why Jackson keeps going to Monta with the game on the line, especially with taking the last shot. The only clutch shot we've had at the end of a game this year was Klay Thompson's 3. Monta clearly doesn't have the ability to close out games and I don't think he's gonna be with the team much longer. Why not get Curry the ball at the end?
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:27 pm
Monta is our most consistent scorer and he's done it to close out games in the past. The problem isn't who is taking our last shot, rather it's the first point you made - we are blowing these 4th quarter leads. No matter what, these bigger teams never get excited because they know they can just kill us with size down the stretch, particularly when our only vet/pt worthy center only plays 14-16 min.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:53 pm
You're right he is and has been the most consistent, but it's the decision making on his part that's killing me. The Heat game where he didn't get the shot off, the Pacers game with the kick ball, tonight shooting a 3 and there's been a fadeaway or 2. Size is definitely a factor, but even with the lack of size and the huge hole at center they're still getting plenty of opportunities. It's like reliving the Kyle Williams fumble every night haha.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:17 am
GS23 wrote:You're right he is and has been the most consistent, but it's the decision making on his part that's killing me. The Heat game where he didn't get the shot off, the Pacers game with the kick ball, tonight shooting a 3 and there's been a fadeaway or 2. Size is definitely a factor, but even with the lack of size and the huge hole at center they're still getting plenty of opportunities. It's like reliving the Kyle Williams fumble every night haha.

ouch... like a small Kyle Williams NFCC fumble with every failed would be game-winning shot... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I'm not a fan of the plays we are drawing up at the end of games and I'm certainly not happy that Lee didn't challenge with, what would have been a difficult drive, but he could have allowed Ellis to get in position for a better shot. I'm not displeased with who took the shot, but the selection/play needs to improve.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:37 am
There isn't a good decision maker on this team down the stretch. The coach is a rookie, and our players can't set up and execute the plays to get a good shot or set up someone else for the good shot. How can this team be consider a playoff team when they lose at home against a team that played over time last night and they are traveling? I think Mark Jackson is slowly thinking what have I got myself into, and Lacob is getting desperate.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:43 am
Our biggest problem is not getting stops through out the game and lack of rebounding. Jackson keeps preaching defense but keeps our best defender on the bench most of the game... McGuire. He is defantely our best perimeter defender. If I were coaching I would switch up the lineup a little. I would bring Curry off the bench, move Monta to PG, and Dorell to SG, put McGuire in at SF. That would be a much better defensive unit starting the game.

Then Curry could still get 25 mins off the bench providing the scoring punch along with Klay, Rush, Udoh, and Tyler. I love to watch Curry play, but I really do believe that he would be better suited coming off the bench making shots and plays for others. Also slightly less mins would mean less stress on ankle.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:42 am
Last night AB was negative again. I read that Tyler's time has come and the Warriors will use him more, that is why they haven't replace Baron. And guess what. Tyler didn't play at all. With our starting center at this shape and no other center in the team. I don't now what to say any more.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:40 pm
Well there it is again... Nate Robinson running things with the game on the line? I don't get it, it just seems like really bad coaching by Jackson. The players didn't know if they should take a time out or not before that last play when they had just come out of a time out, that should never happen. If Curry is supposed to be the pg of the future why isn't he handling the ball in the 4th quarter?
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:44 pm
Nobody gets it. I thought for a while that I jumped the gun when I said that I wanna Malone take Jackson's position, but now I'm quite sure Jackson is not a good coach, period.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:01 am
Again they are not good in those tight games, because they don't have the players good enough to be consistent in winning those tight games. They have to run up the score for a big lead and pray that the other team get complacent to win games.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:06 pm
Guybrush wrote:Nobody gets it. I thought for a while that I jumped the gun when I said that I wanna Malone take Jackson's position, but now I'm quite sure Jackson is not a good coach, period.

Well, pertaining to this topic, Mark Jackson has admitted that Malone is the one drawing up the final plays and the plays coming out of time-outs. As the experience on the bench, Jackson has no shame admitting that he gives Malone the majority of X's and O's decisions. I'd say Jackson's mostly responsible for sub patterns and pep talks. Anyway, just food for thought.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:51 pm
32 wrote:
Guybrush wrote:Nobody gets it. I thought for a while that I jumped the gun when I said that I wanna Malone take Jackson's position, but now I'm quite sure Jackson is not a good coach, period.

Well, pertaining to this topic, Mark Jackson has admitted that Malone is the one drawing up the final plays and the plays coming out of time-outs. As the experience on the bench, Jackson has no shame admitting that he gives Malone the majority of X's and O's decisions. I'd say Jackson's mostly responsible for sub patterns and pep talks. Anyway, just food for thought.

Hm, then I missed that part somehow. And that proves me wrong, I ain't gonna deny that. Though, still, Jackson is the one who has a choice of picking the players who're going to be on the floor. So, even if Malone does draw a play, and Jackson leaves Nate in the game, and Monta on the bench, it's still his fault, cause he wanted to make Nate a go to guy in the end, which Nate isn't.
On top of that, he is a HC, if he thinks that play isn't good, he should come up with his own. This way it looks like Malone is actually the coach, and Jackson is a guy who is there just to pump up players.

So, my error is that I, it seems like it at least, thought Malone was good, which is not true if he is the one making the bad decisions, but that doesn't negate the fact that Jackson so far, well...hasn't done anything good.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:16 pm
Guybrush wrote:
32 wrote:

Hm, then I missed that part somehow. And that proves me wrong, I ain't gonna deny that. Though, still, Jackson is the one who has a choice of picking the players who're going to be on the floor. So, even if Malone does draw a play, and Jackson leaves Nate in the game, and Monta on the bench, it's still his fault, cause he wanted to make Nate a go to guy in the end, which Nate isn't.
On top of that, he is a HC, if he thinks that play isn't good, he should come up with his own. This way it looks like Malone is actually the coach, and Jackson is a guy who is there just to pump up players.

So, my error is that I, it seems like it at least, thought Malone was good, which is not true if he is the one making the bad decisions, but that doesn't negate the fact that Jackson so far, well...hasn't done anything good.

Speaking only about last night, Bob Fitzgerald said on his radio show today that Monta was sick. Jackson said he asked Monta if he could go back in for the 4th, and while Monta obliged, it wasn't the usual enthusiastic Ellis, prompting Jackson to leave Ellis on the bench. I believe Jackson would normally give Ellis the ball for the final shot, but I can't guarantee it.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:42 pm
Yeah, I hear you. But I'm not talking just about the last game. And I'm not all for that to just hand Monta the ball for the last shot, that really didn't work for us this year, but he needs to be in. And if he was sick, he shouldn't have been in the game in the first place then...it's sad that we had the best plays while he was in sick like that. If he was sick at all...can't be sure if his face during the last period was like that because he was sick, or because he isn't on good terms with Jackson. I know no one said anything about that, but that look he had, that's just the thought that came to my mind.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:29 am
Well, going off that, Monte Poole wrote a provocative article for this morning's Mercury titled "Warriors Appear Ready To Move Past Ellis Era". Within it, he suggests that Ellis wasn't as sick as advertised and, instead, Jackson simply preferred to play Klay Thompson in the 4th.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball