Allen Iverson signed with Besikstas

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:35 pm
Allen Iverson signed a 2 year deal worth 4 million $ with Turkish club, Besiktas.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-iverson-turkey
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:09 pm
Allen who?

Isn't he younger than Nash and Kidd? Take notes, kids. This is what happens when your career is based on athleticism over heady decision-making. A grounded AI is a slower Lou Williams. A lost-step whose game is built on speed, a fragile player who takes heavy falls nightly, a bench player who needs to start. Allen Iverson is walking irony.

And to resurrect this thread, I'll go ahead and reiterate that AI takes the driver's seat on my all-time overrated team.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:36 pm
Well, I agree mostly. He wasn't a pass first PG...he even played a SG occasionally, if I'm right. He was never known for his smarts, but he took 76ers a long way. I can't see Monta pulling out something like that, and I see a lot of similarities with two. But AI had one of the best first steps ever.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:58 am
Some more news about A.I.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/20 ... ncial-woes
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:40 pm
Guybrush wrote:Well, I agree mostly. He wasn't a pass first PG...he even played a SG occasionally, if I'm right. He was never known for his smarts, but he took the 76ers a long way. I can't see Monta pulling out something like that, and I see a lot of similarities with two. But AI had one of the best first steps ever.

I might be the only person to disagree with that. I do not credit Allen Iverson for dragging Philly to the Finals.

The 76ers' 2001 NBA playoff run was fueled by an incapacitative defense that shut down even the brightest of stars at EVERY position. Sure, there's no real superstars on the roster, but if you had to assemble an all-time greatest role playing, non-ego, defensive-minded team (minus Iverson), the Sixers had it. Dikembe Mutumbo might make the HOF someday; add in Eric Snow, Raja Bell, Tyrone Hill, Matt Geiger, George Lynch... And top it all off with Coach Larry Brown at the helm.

Brown eventually moved onto Detroit and in 2004, using the same philosophy (but minus the ball hawking PG), he won a ring with it.
Last edited by 32 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:27 pm
32 wrote:
Guybrush wrote:Well, I agree mostly. He wasn't a pass first PG...he even played a SG occasionally, if I'm right. He was never known for his smarts, but he took the 76ers a long way. I can't see Monta pulling out something like that, and I see a lot of similarities with two. But AI had one of the best first steps ever.

I might be the only person to disagree with that. I do not credit Allen Iverson for dragging Philly to the Finals.

The 76ers' 2001 NBA playoff run was fueled by an incapacitative defense that shut down even the brightest of stars at EVERY position. Sure, there's no real superstars on the roster, but if you had to assemble an all-time greatest role playing, non-ego, defensive-minded team (minus Iverson), the Sixers had it. Dikembe Mutumbo might make the HOF someday; add in Eric Snow, Raja Bell, Tyrone Hill, Matt Geiger, George Lynch... And top it all off with Coach Larry Brown at the helm.

Brown eventually moved onto Detroit and in 2003, using the same philosophy (but minus the ball hawking PG), he won a ring with it.

I see your point, and it is a viable reason. But...there's always a "but". ::lol: That was a good defense they had, I can't disagree with that, though there are some other points that need to be put into equation.
First of all, those players at that time were quite old, and weren't at their best at the time, especially Mutombo, whose play that might lead him to HoF won't come for his time in Philly, but rather Denver and Atlanta.

Second thing would be their offense. Allen WAS their offense, without him they wouldn't do anything on offense. Still, old and not very quick players hat could penetrate and make room for someone else to shoot. That was all on A.I. No matter how good their D was, they wouldn't outscore other team with that offense.

And third thing, Larry Brown. Larry is a great coach, one of my favorites, and he does know how to train a team, and his teams play excellent defense. So, it wasn't that they won a championship because they had a better PG. Hardly I would say that Billups is better player all around than Iverson. When you mention defense, it is Detroit's defense, led by non else than Ben Wallace, that was one of the best defenses in the game. If you ask me, that D was miles better than the D Philly had. And on top of that, they had better players on offense, it wasn't just one guy pretty much.

That's at least how I see it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:40 am
Guybrush wrote:
32 wrote:

Brown eventually moved onto Detroit and in 2003, using the same philosophy (but minus the ball hawking PG), he won a ring with it.

I see your point, and it is a viable reason. But...there's always a "but". ::lol: That was a good defense they had, I can't disagree with that, though there are some other points that need to be put into equation.
First of all, those players at that time were quite old, and weren't at their best at the time, especially Mutombo, whose play that might lead him to HoF won't come for his time in Philly, but rather Denver and Atlanta.

Second thing would be their offense. Allen WAS their offense, without him they wouldn't do anything on offense. Still, old and not very quick players hat could penetrate and make room for someone else to shoot. That was all on A.I. No matter how good their D was, they wouldn't outscore other team with that offense.

And third thing, Larry Brown. Larry is a great coach, one of my favorites, and he does know how to train a team, and his teams play excellent defense. So, it wasn't that they won a championship because they had a better PG. Hardly I would say that Billups is better player all around than Iverson. When you mention defense, it is Detroit's defense, led by non else than Ben Wallace, that was one of the best defenses in the game. If you ask me, that D was miles better than the D Philly had. And on top of that, they had better players on offense, it wasn't just one guy pretty much.

That's at least how I see it.

Well, I think our main differences regarding the Sixers involve how over the hill the supporting cast was. Mutombo won the DPoY that season (his 10th... not quite where he slowed down, IMO). He also led the league in rebounding. Hill, Snow, Geiger, and Lynch were veterans, but at ages 33, 28, 31, and 32, it's tough for me to say these 4 were in anything but the primes of their respective careers. Raja Bell was a 25-year old rookie (and he played in all 5 of the Finals games). I would respectfully disagree with them being an old team, but your statements regarding AI being their entire offense is pretty accurate.

I'd also like to clarify that I never said Billips was a better PG than Iverson (I do believe that, but that's another argument). I would DEFINITELY say its no contest on the defensive end, but aside from that, who else really was a better defender between both LB squads? Cause, to me, it stacks up like:

Iverson < Billips
Snow > Hamilton
Lynch > Prince
Hill > R. Wallace
Mutombo > BWallace

Snow and Hamilton is no contest on defense. Prince's elasta-arms are helpful, but Lynch was definitely the grittier on-ball pest. Tyrone Hill was also nastier than Rasheed (although all 3 of these match-ups would be flip-flipped on offense). BWallace and Mutumbo are side-by-side from an all-time stand point, but in black and white terms: Dike won the DPoY the year he went to the Finals, Ben didn't (Artest took the 3rd of what would have been 5 straight years). But ultimately, Dikembe was on top of everyone his season, whereas Ben was not. Detroit had unselfish offensive players capable at 4 positions of 20+ on any given night, but the better defensive team was Philly (especially with Geiger, McCullough, and Bell coming off the bench; it was literally a cast of nasty, smashmouth stoppers (with the exception of AI).

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:24 am
But the difference on how good each defense was is pretty minimal. The offense of the pistons was better than that sixers team.

The teamwork is what made the detriot pistons champions. Plus Mason (PA announcer). And "The Final Countdown" being played every minute (especially doing their intros). Just a fun, amazing display of an underdog beating on the so-call super team Lakers (Shaq, Kobe, Payton, and Malone).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:58 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:But the difference on how good each defense was is pretty minimal. The offense of the pistons was better than that sixers team.

The teamwork is what made the detriot pistons champions. Plus Mason (PA announcer). And "The Final Countdown" being played every minute (especially doing their intros). Just a fun, amazing display of an underdog beating on the so-call super team Lakers (Shaq, Kobe, Payton, and Malone).

Completely agree. That's my entire point about Iverson. Big scoring numbers, zero team chemistry. A ball-hogging PG will never win the NBA Title, no matter how great of role players you put beside him.

Return to News Articles