Jeremy Lin

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:25 am
I think 14 and 5 sounds about right. I think the huge numbers are a bit of fluke, but he definitely can play. Once Amare and Melo are back and teams have a better scouting report on him his numbers will go down. Still an amazing story. Definitely could use him and Lee running the pick-and-roll off the bench.

Rizon and Jimbob, good to see you guys here!!

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:00 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
jimbob631 wrote:I haven't posted on this site in a couple years now I think but I just checked in because I wanted to see what you guys were saying about Lin. Some older members might remember that I'm a knick fan (and of course a warriors fan) so to see a player I liked on the warriors turn into a monster on the knicks is ****ing great.

After four games though guys, one of which was against the lakers, you have to start believing he's the real deal, I'm not saying he's gonna put up these numbers consistently, but something like 15-17 and 6 seems in the realm of possibility.

Welcome Back Jimbob... I certainly remember you.

I think Lin will be a great contributor to NBA teams. But I think he will eventually cool off. I remember 2 seasons ago, when Andre Blatche had some monster stretch and everyone thought they were seeing then next great thing. He quickly cooled down after 8-10 games. I think Lin is smart enough (and dedicated enough) where he will continue to improve on his game, so he can be successful in this leagues.

i have had Andre Blatche on my fantasy basketball team last year and this year, he has no basketball IQ.. and ballhogger.... i watched all the wizard games. LIN he makes his teammate better, hes an unselfish true point guard who can drive and score or dish out. two diff player u are comparing... LIN doesnt need to score to stay hot.. just like rubio... he could go 0pts 5 reb and 14 assists.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:33 pm
hobbes wrote:I think 14 and 5 sounds about right. I think the huge numbers are a bit of fluke, but he definitely can play. Once Amare and Melo are back and teams have a better scouting report on him his numbers will go down. Still an amazing story. Definitely could use him and Lee running the pick-and-roll off the bench.

Rizon and Jimbob, good to see you guys here!!

Thanks Hobbes.

He did it again. Through fatigue, on the road, against the upstart RubioLoves. The guy is just a winner and making everyone else better.

It's really up to Melo to either screw this up or make it even better. Amare should be dope again.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:58 am
He didn't do anything special last night, that's just a bit above what his averages are gonna be. I didn't watch the first half, but in the second he had 5 points if I'm correct, 3 of them from the FT line. He only scored when Barea guarded him, and he was somewhere near the paint, and nobody came to double team him. He missed all of the other shots, and he was shooting 33% last night. And his assists are just passing the ball to the guy next to him, no creativity or moves that would leave someone open close to the basket. He was lucky that they won in the end, too many missed and blocked shots because of his charging towards the basket. Shumpert won them the game yesterday, but still, no one is gonna mention him.

I don't wanna sound like I'm bashing him, I just wanna be realistic here. He had a few fluke games, and now he's gonna slide down, where he should be, how his numbers are going to be, and that's around 14-15 points per game, and 4-5 assists per game. Especially when Melo and Amar'e start taking shots away from him.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:01 am
Could Monta Ellis take the Warriors on a 5 game winning streak if David Lee and Steph Curry were out of the lineup? That is basically what Lin has done in NY. He has been the top scorer and top assist guy during this win streak. That's a lot of time with the ball in his hands.

Amare and Melo are just going to make things easier for him. If it doesn't get easier, then I'll start being critical of Lin.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:34 pm
f1n3 wrote:Could Monta Ellis take the Warriors on a 5 game winning streak if David Lee and Steph Curry were out of the lineup? That is basically what Lin has done in NY. He has been the top scorer and top assist guy during this win streak. That's a lot of time with the ball in his hands.

Amare and Melo are just going to make things easier for him. If it doesn't get easier, then I'll start being critical of Lin.

Apples and oranges. Monta isn't a point guard.

If the question is "could Curry do what Lin has done with Ellis and Lee outta the lineup", I'd say maybe. The loss of Lee hurts, but statistically-speaking the team performs better without Ellis on the floor, soo, it's a toss-up... Unless Curry got the same whistles Lin has been getting. During Lin's 5-game explosion, the zebras are gifting him 8.5 FTA per game. Curry, on the season, averages 2.35 FTA per game.

Question for Lin fans: is that a permanent part of his game? Will Jeremy continue to shoot the 4th most free throws in the league per game (more than Durant. More than Kobe. More than Melo. More than Wade)? Yes, the kid can certainly cash in his FTs, and he's been shooting 8.5 per game during this hot streak. Yet you people are impressed that he's scoring over 20 points on 19.4 FGA attempts per game?

rizon, just to play devil's advocate, I'll return serve and ask... have YOU watched him play yet? Because, to me, the only difference between him now and during summer league is (a) teams are playing him way too tightly outside and (b) the stripes are gifting him 9 free shots a game. Imagine Curry's scoring average if he got an extra 7 free throw attempts per game.

Why is Lin a special player, in your eyes? (cause, to me, he kinda smells like Marciulonis, and that's a best case scenario)
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:18 pm
I don't think penetrating is Currys game though. Clearly Lin is no where near curry when it comes to shooting but in many ways he forces the contact and for the most part he has been finishing after contact. To be fair, I think if Currys and Lin swap teams the result could of been the same. Chandler is an excellent PNR and finishes better than any bigs we have here.

Still Lin is constantly attacking and so I am not surprise he gets more whistles from the refs. One last thing, I'm not going to give too much cdit for other plays hitting their jumpers and Lin getting an assist on a simple pass but catching the ball in rhythm is key for shooters, you still got to make it but a bad pass doesn't help with a shot. Sometimes, its the little things that matters especially In a close game.

Vs the wolves - I thought he had a great firt half and an awful second half. But what I admire the most is in a tie game, he drives hard right and into the wolves bigs and forces the refs to make a whistle. I like that more then settling for a fade away or a pull up free throw shot.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:37 pm
DleagueDelight wrote:But what I admire the most is in a tie game, he drives hard right and into the wolves bigs and forces the refs to make a whistle. I like that more then settling for a fade away or a pull up free throw shot.

You may admire that from that standpoint, but if you really replace him and Curry, you will see that driving head first won't get you nearly as much FTs as in NY.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:11 am
who cares about all these haterz talk, buttom line is warriors still sux, and knicks are better team after they found jeremy lin to be one of the smartest/TRUE UNselfish point guard in the league.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:32 am
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:52 am
facue420 wrote:who cares about all these haterz talk, buttom line is warriors still sux, and knicks are better team after they found jeremy lin to be one of the smartest/TRUE UNselfish point guard in the league.

+19 attempts per night. Real unselfish numbers, bro.

We're dismissed as "haterz" if we're not impressed by this gimmicky-Tebow-clone thats being hype machined to death? Just cause I choose to admire who I feel like admiring based on scouting their actual game, and not the latest BSPN poster boy selling tickets on an overrated team in an overexposed market, doesn't make me a hater. We are asking questions regarding real, tried and true holes in Lin's game that he's displayed at every level of the pro game. And we're haters cause we're skeptical?

I can't wait to bump this thread in 3 months after Lin-sanity dies. Hope you're still here then, bro.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:33 pm
He had an off shooting night and now he's called selfish? He still dished out 8 assists. And the New York getting more free throws thing is a bull **** conspiracy. They had Lin practicing with the belief that he wouldn't get any free throws so they wouldn't give them to him in practice. Of course he won't be averaging that many free throws or putting up these numbers, but people are going to two extremes. After these 5 games he's third in the league in PER, will that continue, no way, but its something to be excited about for a 23 year old to achieve.

The turnovers are bad, the shooting is streaky and likely won't hold up, and its gonna be a challenge to keep this up with two superstars coming back, doesn't make what Lin has done in uplifting the knicks into the 8th spot any less impressive and it doesn't mean there isn't a good chance he'll be productive for the rest of the season.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:09 pm
jimbob631 wrote:He had an off shooting night and now he's called selfish? He still dished out 8 assists. And the New York getting more free throws thing is a bull **** conspiracy. They had Lin practicing with the belief that he wouldn't get any free throws so they wouldn't give them to him in practice. Of course he won't be averaging that many free throws or putting up these numbers, but people are going to two extremes. After these 5 games he's third in the league in PER, will that continue, no way, but its something to be excited about for a 23 year old to achieve.

The turnovers are bad, the shooting is streaky and likely won't hold up, and its gonna be a challenge to keep this up with two superstars coming back, doesn't make what Lin has done in uplifting the knicks into the 8th spot any less impressive and it doesn't mean there isn't a good chance he'll be productive for the rest of the season.

I don't think any Lin skeptics here have outright called him selfish. I pointed out his ridiculous amount of field goals per game, but I didn't put a selfish spin on it until someone above tried to overtly claim that Lin was an unselfish point guard. If anything, he's a scoring point who makes the extra pass, but I have yet to see him orchestrate an offense like a true point guard. Before we even embark on that category, we can all agree that true point guards don't call their own number more than half the time.

And as far as what he's done in 5 games, you're right. Those games have been impressive and he has no doubt shined throughout them. The issue isn't what he's done; the skeptics are of a mind that he can't maintain this play (again, prove us wrong). He's always been a good slasher, but with teams overplaying him, to go along with NY's treatment from the officials, he's looked downright unstoppable. To follow up on that: the Knicks shoot the 6th most free throws in the league (and during their past 3 games, they've gotten more whistles than ANY team, including league-leading Denver), so you may wanna reconsider that statement dismissing the whistles as a conspiracy theory. Proof:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/fr ... d-per-game

I suppose it's all just coincidence, right?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:13 pm
Also, just wanna pause to say fascinating debate, fellas. I find the subject of Lin to be particularly interesting and thus far, everyone's brought some intriguing perspective to the table. Great thread, guys!

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:23 pm
32 wrote:
facue420 wrote:who cares about all these haterz talk, buttom line is warriors still sux, and knicks are better team after they found jeremy lin to be one of the smartest/TRUE UNselfish point guard in the league.

+19 attempts per night. Real unselfish numbers, bro.

We're dismissed as "haterz" if we're not impressed by this gimmicky-Tebow-clone thats being hype machined to death? Just cause I choose to admire who I feel like admiring based on scouting their actual game, and not the latest BSPN poster boy selling tickets on an overrated team in an overexposed market, doesn't make me a hater. We are asking questions regarding real, tried and true holes in Lin's game that he's displayed at every level of the pro game. And we're haters cause we're skeptical?

I can't wait to bump this thread in 3 months after Lin-sanity dies. Hope you're still here then, bro.

he was asked to shoot more because everyone on knicks was on slumps. thats how Mike D'Antoni's runs his system just like when he was coaching phenix.

you can hate all you want, my point was in three months warriors still sux and the knicks has chance to be a better team.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball