Trade Monta already!!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:32 pm
32 wrote:
Guybrush wrote:
BayAreaHoopz wrote:I would do Monta Ellis and Dorell Wright for both Beasley and Milcic. Maybe throw in Ridnour as well for insurance just in case Curry goes down again. I also think the Wolves would be all over that deal as well. Let Ellis play second or third fiddle to Love and Rubio because he just isn't working as a first option. On a different team, I doubt he'll be given the freedom to take 20+ shots a game, especially with Love as their best player. This trade could add depth and give the Warriors an additional $6.5M in cap space with Beasley's expiring contract. They'd have about $18M to spend this offseason to try and grab a guy like Deron Williams.

You're my man. =D>

That's what I was thinking and suggesting before. I really hope they do that, at least we would know after the season what we have and if we can win with that, or to start from the scratch.

I'm on board for this, but what does Minnesota think? Kevin Love at center is pretty unsized (though you won't notice it on the glass)... Do they really want Golden State's small backcourt (and, overall, team) to become their problem?

Tim Kawakami (whom I, admittedly, can't stand) suggested a straight-up swap of Ellis-for-Noah? Chicago does have a surplus of big, defensive players. And Rose is not Curry or Rubio; a backcourt of he and Ellis wouldn't be the defensive liability that Ellis can otherwise bring by manning the 2. If Chicago is as sold on Asik as they seem, and stay content sliding Gibson to the 5 at times, Monta Ellis might be that final weapon Chicago needs to ascend from championship hopefuls to legit title threats. Meanwhile, Noah makes Lee look all the better (doing literally everything David won't) and the Warriors slide in the thriving Brandon Rush until Thompson inevitably lands in the starting lineup.

Well, Minnesota does have one other guy from around these parts on their roster who plays the center position as well, Nikola Pekovic. He played fairly well during the time Darko was out with illness. I haven't watched Minnesota that much, but I think they like to play small ball quite a lot. So, they have Pekovic and they have bunch of PFs that they could slide to center position. Anyway, I would ship them along with Monta Andris, if possible. Cap would be the problem because of Biedrins' contract, but I think some solution could be found. If not Biedrins, than Udoh perhaps. They have SFs, they would need some big guy as well I suppose.

And I would also be up for the second option as well. At the beginning of the season I was willing to give these three core players that we have a chance, but know, I'm pretty much convinced that they can't do anything of importance together. We need a good center, that's not a secret, and Noah, even though is not playing great, is miles better than anything we had in a long time. And I like what I see from Rush, and we would get a chance to see and evaluate what we really got in Klay Thompson.
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13525
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:43 pm
Minny's problem is that they have 3 power forwards that all want to start. Kevin Love is who you build around, but he's at his best at the 4... Randolph could be something if he screwed his head on, but he refused to play center here (so why would it thrill him in the Target Center)... And I haven't seen a ton of Derrick Williams, but the little bit I've seen have solidified my belief that he can't play center.

If they sent us Beasley for Ellis, they could flip Derrick Williams into the 3 for the short term or deal him for a center (Noah?). I imagine that since announcing to the world that he's a spoiled, bratty child, a lot of Randolph's allure has evaporated, like Lindsay Lohan. I would LOVE beastly if you could figure out a way to get Minny's front office drunk enough to send him our way for a combo guard.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:55 pm
They also have Wesley Johnson, Martell Webster and Anthony Tolliver who all can play SF, so they already are pretty filled up at that position. Beasley is not in their plan as much as he was before. From the go to guy he went to bench player. I think they would go for it, cause they need good SG. As right now they start Ridnour alongside Rubio on guard positions. They have a good score and a great coach (which I was hoping we would get, by the way) and if they got Monta they could even go to the playoffs.

Of course, Monta's value right now is much higher than Beasley's, so that's why I was hoping we could take Darko away from them, and send them whoever they want not named Curry.

All in all, these are just our ideas, I would be happy if our FO even considered something like this.
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13525
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:11 pm
Sure, I think the only problem you run into is the salary thing. Beasley is a much more economic choice, so they'd almost HAVE to include Darko, but then you have the shake-down for young talent and picks that Golden State is never seeming to be willing to part with. Let's say DWright doesn't thrill them and they ask for Thompson or Udoh as the throw in. Who do you part with?
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:18 pm
32 wrote:Sure, I think the only problem you run into is the salary thing. Beasley is a much more economic choice, so they'd almost HAVE to include Darko, but then you have the shake-down for young talent and picks that Golden State is never seeming to be willing to part with. Let's say DWright doesn't thrill them and they ask for Thompson or Udoh as the throw in. Who do you part with?

Hm, in that case I'm quite positive I would go with Udoh. If we send both Monta and Klay, then we get in a trouble with lack of quality players at SG, well, lack of SGs at all to be precise, we would be left with only Rush. And losing Udoh would be worth it if it would mean that we would finally get a strong defensive force at center who can also score points, and sometimes quite efficiently when he gets into his rhythm.
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13525
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:35 pm
I'm in. Biedrins in a backup 4 role sounds ideal for him.

PG - Steph Curry / Nate Robinson / Charles Jenkins
SG - Klay Thompson / Brandon Rush
SF - Michael Beasley / Dorrell Wright / Dominic McGuire
PF - David Lee / Andris Biedrins
C - Darko Milicic / Jeremy Tyler

Curry the playmaker, Beast the option, Klay the spotter, Lee the high post, Darko the low post? It all fits, it all flows. The bench runs deep everywhere; with physical 3rd string options and high scoring 2nd squad players. Of course, Beasley is exactly the kind of get-his-own shot, bigger wing player I've been clamoring for the Dubs to acquire for a year. If Ellis can be flipped for him, Gay, Iggy, or Deng, I'd take any of the above.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

Rookie
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:14 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:56 pm
monte is overpaid, no team will trade for monte, plus wolves want ball in rubio's hand, ellis is a ballhog, i doubt they will do the trade with warriors,

as for Bulls, why would they want a shorty who cant play face up D and give away noah?? yah right LOl what kinda green r u smoking LOL this is reality guys
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13525
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:57 pm
facue420 wrote:monte is overpaid, no team will trade for monte, plus wolves want ball in rubio's hand, ellis is a ballhog, i doubt they will do the trade with warriors,

as for Bulls, why would they want a shorty who cant play face up D and give away noah?? yah right LOl what kinda green r u smoking LOL this is reality guys

Yeah. Reality. What's we give up to get Baron Davis again? Speedy Claxton and Dale Davis?

How'd we get Harrington and Jackson again? Wasn't it by shipping scrubs to Indy? Speaking of sticking it to Indy, didn't we steal the league leader in 3 point percentage from them? For some douchebag with a sweet ponytail?

Look, I understand an Ellis-for-Noah trade is unlikely (and a Beasley trade is wishful thinking), but if you've followed the NBA for more than 10 minutes, you'd think twice before dismissing bad trades. GMs the nation over are lining up to expose their ignorance. I wouldn't put these deals past Minny or Chicago; who've both made some dumb decisions in the past 10 years.

And for the record, I'm smoking sour apple now, but it was purple trainwreck when I posted that. :mrgreen:
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

Rookie
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:14 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:21 pm
32 wrote:
facue420 wrote:monte is overpaid, no team will trade for monte, plus wolves want ball in rubio's hand, ellis is a ballhog, i doubt they will do the trade with warriors,

as for Bulls, why would they want a shorty who cant play face up D and give away noah?? yah right LOl what kinda green r u smoking LOL this is reality guys

Yeah. Reality. What's we give up to get Baron Davis again? Speedy Claxton and Dale Davis?

How'd we get Harrington and Jackson again? Wasn't it by shipping scrubs to Indy? Speaking of sticking it to Indy, didn't we steal the league leader in 3 point percentage from them? For some douchebag with a sweet ponytail?

Look, I understand an Ellis-for-Noah trade is unlikely (and a Beasley trade is wishful thinking), but if you've followed the NBA for more than 10 minutes, you'd think twice before dismissing bad trades. GMs the nation over are lining up to expose their ignorance. I wouldn't put these deals past Minny or Chicago; who've both made some dumb decisions in the past 10 years.

And for the record, I'm smoking sour apple now, but it was purple trainwreck when I posted that. :mrgreen:


yah but look at indian's line up now, they gave up harriton and sjax's salary, and rebuild and look at that team now. that wasnt a stupid trade from indiana, the player they dont want brandon rush whom is our best face up defender... pretty sad if u think about it
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13525
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:29 pm
facue420 wrote:
32 wrote:
facue420 wrote:monte is overpaid, no team will trade for monte, plus wolves want ball in rubio's hand, ellis is a ballhog, i doubt they will do the trade with warriors,

as for Bulls, why would they want a shorty who cant play face up D and give away noah?? yah right LOl what kinda green r u smoking LOL this is reality guys

Yeah. Reality. What's we give up to get Baron Davis again? Speedy Claxton and Dale Davis?

How'd we get Harrington and Jackson again? Wasn't it by shipping scrubs to Indy? Speaking of sticking it to Indy, didn't we steal the league leader in 3 point percentage from them? For some douchebag with a sweet ponytail?

Look, I understand an Ellis-for-Noah trade is unlikely (and a Beasley trade is wishful thinking), but if you've followed the NBA for more than 10 minutes, you'd think twice before dismissing bad trades. GMs the nation over are lining up to expose their ignorance. I wouldn't put these deals past Minny or Chicago; who've both made some dumb decisions in the past 10 years.

And for the record, I'm smoking sour apple now, but it was purple trainwreck when I posted that. :mrgreen:


yah but look at indian's line up now, they gave up harriton and sjax's salary, and rebuild and look at that team now. that wasnt a stupid trade from indiana, the player they dont want brandon rush whom is our best face up defender... pretty sad if u think about it

Mehhhhh, it was pretty dumb for them, dude. Their main cherry in the deal was Ike Diogu (Bird claimed they'd targeted Diogu since the draft and thought he would be their PF of the future). The fact that they would endure Dunleavy and Murphy's salary, along with giving up starters who were clearly more talented in the short term, would mean that trade's only chance of success would have been if Diogu blossomed into a post threat (he didn't).

Indiana's sorry seasons of rebuilding was not a shrewd choice they were making, it was their only option after getting hosed with that trade.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13525
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:32 pm
Also, Dunleavy and Murphy had worse contracts for longer periods of time then Jackson and Harrington, so I dunno why you'd say they dumped salary. If anything, they committed to an extra year of bad salary.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

Rookie
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:07 pm
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:53 pm
This seems like the perfect time to trade Monta, his value could not be higher right now.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13525
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:28 am
WarriorHawk87 wrote:This seems like the perfect time to trade Monta, his value could not be higher right now.

For who? Whose available that would net us equal return?
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:43 pm
Location: Foster City, CA
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:23 pm
That's the problem. Our three biggest assets are Curry, Monta, and Lee. Curry's value is low right know because of the ankle issues. Monta's value is questionable because he is undersized and Lee has the huge contract. I don't think trading any one of the three would net us someone that makes the team better unless you somehow were able to acquire a disgruntled star at a discount, which is highly unlikely.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13525
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:11 pm
Sure. If you had to value them in terms of grade, I'd say our tradable assets rank in at:

Stephen Curry = B+
Klay Thompson = C+
Brandon Rush = C
Dorrell Wright = C
David Lee = D
Monta Ellis = D
Epke Udoh = D-

Everyone else (Tyler, Robinson, McGuire, Jenkins, Biedrins) are failing (aka, they're salary correctors in trades and that's it).

Curry, while not an A-level asset, is the most attractive piece you have: teams are willing to give up decent compensation; type c franchise players (Kevin Martin, Stephen Jackson, Pau Gasol) and a B-level prospect or two are the most probably back pay you'd get for Steph. Maybe a package of Devin Harris and Derrick Favors is what you're looking at.

Thompson, Wright, and Rush are affordable, role player talent that can be used to sweeten a Curry deal into a type b franchise player (A'Mare, Andrew Bynum, Rajon Rondo).

Ellis and Lee are almost purely bad-for-bad contract deals. Combining one with a C-level guy will net you a talented bad contract the likes of Rudy Gay, Carlos Boozer, or Andre Iguodala.

No combination on this roster will trade you an A level franchise talent (Howard, Carmelo, Durant, Paul).

That being said... I think it'd be smart, at this stage, to take a flier on a bad contract wing (like Gay or Iggy) for Ellis + a couple decent throw-ins, but it seems like the most value we'll get for Lee is on the basketball court and I don't think it's possible to upgrade that position by trading him.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests