San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:21 am
That game was epic on so many levels, my facebook feed was going crazy during. I mean the idea was offense vs defense and it lived up to the billing and more. Alex Smith playing with poise, not playing too risky, short passes.

The Niners front 4 dominated, and the linebackers sniffed the ball, I was impressed overall by the Niners defense.

In the last drive the Saints played too soft allowing 49ers to move the ball, prevent defense killed them at the end.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:01 pm
I'm so ready for tomorrow!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:42 pm
tough way to end the season... We had several chances, we could protect Alex, or WR's couldn't get open and we did what we haven't done really all year - turn it over and on ST!!!!! This is sucks, but we'll be back next year.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:01 pm
That was not the way to go out after a great season, with a great defense, not a Niner fan but the money invested in the game spread was +2 favoring the niners, and # 10 more than effed it up for me not once but twice, as the Giants were able to capitalize. Niners need to bring in solid WR's next year and they should make be back in the playoff hunt. Oh #10 Kyle Williams probably needs maximum security around the bay, saying dude f'd up is an understatement.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:48 pm
I still can't believe it. I'm pissed, disappointed, pissed again, in disbelief...so stupid, nah, the stupidest way to lose the game. They wouldn't score the last TD, or that FG in the OT if it weren't for Williams and his muff and fumble. Why in the name of god are you running after the ball when it bounces on the ground? Why?! The first rule in ST is that you don't touch the effin ball. And yet, he stood there afterwards, and he was the closest person to the ball. And then, in the OT you don't wave for a fair catch.

Also, I would put some blame on Goldson as well. We lost for the first time turnover battle, one reason is above mentioned Williams, and the other is Goldson knocking out Brown (and sending him out of the game, and he was our best CB tonight up to that point) who had clear INT in his hands, and then he did the same on Rogers. Dude is just smashing into everyone, no vision whatsoever.

Damn it! I hope for the good season next year, but I just have that feeling that we played above our capabilities this year. We need WR more than anything. And OL didn't help Alex at all tonight. They bite on play actions and we had some big gains, otherwise, he had mostly two seconds to pass the ball.

Still can't believe it how stupid this loss was.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:26 pm
We were the better team all night, so it is a frusturating loss. If Ginn was in the game those two turnovers don't happen.... Oh well. Have to give thanks for a great season, giving us something to cheer about here in the Bay. Now got to turn the attention to the SF Giants and GS Warriors.

Next year we will come back stronger.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:54 am
Whilst the loss may sting.. A lot of positives can be taken from this season.

Coach of the year: Jim Harbaugh... No two ways to argue it.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:00 pm
How do you guys feel about Alex Smith?

Jim Harbaugh got the most out of him... but the 1 for 13 3rd down conversion rate & 3 passes to Wide Receivers are very alarming statistics for a team with Superbowl ambitions (QB League).

Was Alex Smith performance against New Orleans a flash in the pan?

I onyl ponder this question because I believe Jim Harbaugh is the greatest QB coach of certainly my lifetime.. He will have been responsible for turning Andrew Luck into the a once in 15/20 years prospect & he resurrected Alex career by having him play smart football (5 Ints to 17 TDs)

This is a passing league & I think their is better Free Agents on the market that Jim Harbaugh can maximise their talents and output with.

Obviously there is going to be some Niner fans that are committed to Alex just because they saw the transformation he has gone through.. But the Trent Dilfer/Baltimore Ravens dynasty only went to 1 superbowl and won 1 superbowl (Ravens are a better team with Flacco to Dilfer and look how far they've gone thus far).. In this league you need a franchise/elite Quarterback to constantly return (Big Ben, Brady, Peyton, Eli ect ect)

I'm just saying that if the Niners want to seperate themselves from playoff contenders to superbowl contenders they are going to need to change their QB Alex Smith=Joe Flacco and find the Big Ben franchise Quarterback to play alongside the best defense in the league.

Will be interesting to see next preseason if Colin Kaepernick is ready to step up and take the reigns.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:50 pm
First of all, it wasn't on Alex last night, and even though we sucked (again) at 3rd downs, he had a good game. In his first 2 playoff games he threw for 500 yards and 5 TDs without single interception. He outplayed Brees, and played equal as Eli, at worst. That problem you saw with WRs being thrown to only 3 times is not because of him, but because of them. If you watched the game, you could have seen that they were almost never open, and it' not like there are many of them (Crabtree, Williams and Swain (Hastings, did he play even?)). Swain and Hastings are PS guys, and that's it, ST at best. Williams is 4th, and I would say more 5th WR then a starter, and Crabs was closed last night.

So, Smith killed NY defense that shut down Rodgers and his WRs with some deep balls, and he pretty much only had one player to which he could throw the ball, and he did it. And, add the OL on top of that, and I see one amazing QB in a terrible offense. He outplayed a lot of those "elite" QBs during the playoffs, and he didn't have close as surrounding cast as they did. OL is incosistent, Alex was running for his life and expending plays almost right after the snap. If he was (non)mobile as Eli, he would have been sacked at least 10 times last night.

So, yes, I want Alex Smith back. And I'm really curious to see that list you would dig up with better FA QBs than Alex Smith. The guy who just played in conference finals with bad offense. We should have ran more last night, by the way, the pass would have been better then as well. Our run game was working more than good.

And I don't like Kaepernick. I don't know how people can still throw Smith under the bus (even after all he did this year) and have some expectations from Kaep, and the guy is looking the less of a QB than Tebow did years ago.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:39 pm
I think Jason Campbell, Matt Moore & Matt Flynn would work wonders that Alex couldnt under a Jim Harbaugh team.

Ive never been a fan of Alex Smith ability to throw the deep ball. Alex is more of a Tebow QB able to make pl6a with his feet.. But he certainly is by far a superior passer then Tebow.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:20 pm
Well, not saying that Alex is terribe. But he is not great. I think if Indy gets Luck, and Peyton is up for grabs, then Peyton would be the way to go. If Harabaugh can coach Alex to look good, then he can coach Peyton. I think that would jump start this offense and make us Super Bowl contenders.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:54 pm
To be precise here, at this point, Peyton could teach Harbaugh, and pretty much anyone else. :)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:45 pm
Aldon Smith got busted in Miami for DUI.

Does Goodell serve punishments out for offences like this? I remember Raiders RB Michael Bush got busted last offseason for the same offense however because it happened in the lockout I think Goodell may have let this slide.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:53 pm
PAWNO wrote:Aldon Smith got busted in Miami for DUI.

Does Goodell serve punishments out for offences like this? I remember Raiders RB Michael Bush got busted last offseason for the same offense however because it happened in the lockout I think Goodell may have let this slide.

I don't think anything will happen considering he is a first time offender, he might get a fine but he wont miss any games.

Regarding all the Peyton to 9ers speculation that has been floating around amongst fans and the media, I hope it doesn't happen:

First off, it doesn't sound like he has recovered yet - after a year this doesn't sound good for him.

Second, he'd cost a lot and I doubt we'd resign Alex as a backup since he'll probably bring in a decent sized contract, so if Peyton were to go down (which there is a good chance of) our season would be over with Kaep as our starter. We also have several big name FAs that we need to bring back and if we sign Peyton, we'll need to make some sacrifices that we otherwise wouldn't have to.

Third, if we need to bring in a vet like Peyton, why did we sign Harbaugh? Harbaugh is supposed to be a good QB developer, but even a offensively retarded coach like Sign or Nolan could win with a guy like Peyton and our D.

Lastly, I think it would be a weird situation for both Peyton and Harbaugh since Harbaugh would be coaching the guy that replaced him in Indy and I have doubts about how coachable and receptive Peyton would be coming from him or really any other coach for that matter.

I say we resign alex, look to sign/draft a good WR or two and look to upgrade our secondary a little. The most important thing we need to do is retain our current roster and get a full off season of work together. It might sound cliche - especially coming from a bitter fan - but the better team didn't win the NFC championship game, we could have won it all this year.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:10 am
I got 15 people coming over to my house today, and I have no interest in watching the game. I am still bitter. We should be in Indy right now.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board