Trade Monta already!!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


Rookie
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:12 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:46 pm
Monta is a SG who can play some PG, but he is not a actual PG his decision making is inconsistent to be a good PG. Steph Curry is suppose to be the PG, but his decision making is also inconsistent to be top PG in the league. Curry is a SG like Monta, his scoring is through his jumpers and Monta scoring through his driving to the basket. The only problem with Curry is his chronic ankle problems which prevents him from playing in real games and learning the PG skills to be good.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:34 pm
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:20 pm
Monta is never going to be someone who has a high basketball IQ. He's just not smart enough. For a 6'3 guard, his ball handling is well below average. He can barely dribble the ball without barely losing control of it and teams are starting to figure out that he can't go left. Just watch the end of the Miami game in regulation when Shane Battier pretty much gave Ellis the left side and he still drove right, into a double team which resulting in the him not even get a shot off. When the game is tied with 12 seconds left and you don't even shoot the ball, thats just super low basketball IQ. The guy passed it with less that a second left. A true leaders trusts his teammates and does whatever he can to help the team win games. Monta Ellis is not a leader.

His defense is horrible as well. Just because you take a swipe at the ball doesn't mean you're playing defense and thats exactly what he does. He's not going to take charges from bigger guys. See the Detroit game? He just moved out of the way for Jerekbo for a lay up. Not even a hard foul or an attempt at defense. The guy is a 61% free throw shooter! Foul the guy! Again...low basketball IQ.

If he were as good as some people here and fans think he is, then he would be a star player. But I guarantee you, that if he's traded, they're not going to get much in return. Maybe expiring contracts or some bench players for depth. Philly wouldn't trade for him with Iguodala. Ellis AND a #11 pick for the 2nd overall pick was another rumor. Thats all he's worth? If that was a real scenario, they should of jumped on it.

The truth is, since Ellis has become this team's highest paid and best player, they've gone nowhere. They won 29 games in a season without Ellis due to the infamous moped scandal, then 26 the year after where Ellis played in nearly every game. The guy is a 6th man. Someone to come off the bench to offer energy and scoring. Not a star player. There are a lot of guys that can score 23 points a game, playing 40 minutes and taking 20 shots. He's second in the league in minutes per game with 39 and second in shot attempts with 20 a game, but he's 6th in scoring.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21380
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:09 pm
Monta is having a great season again and numbers wise he is almost as good as the top players right now. Definately high value for trading :)
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Posts: 3071
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:15 am
Monta for Granger ?

http://www.hoops-nation.com/monta-ellis ... y-granger/

According to multiple sources, the Golden State Warriors are interested in trading their star guard Monta Ellis to the Indiana Pacers for Danny Granger. Recently the Warriors had said that they were in the market for a star to help them compete in the very tough Western Conference, and they may have found their main target.



Ric Bucher of ESPN says The deal is, “Not as bad as you’d think… (Ellis) in that range of second-tier swingmen… who are seen as very good but wildly overpaid.”



The Pacers (8-3) are currently tied with Orlando for the 4th spot in the Eastern Conference. The move could be seen as questionable from Indiana’s perspective as they and already have a deep backcourt with player such as Paul George, Darren Collison and George Hill. The addition of Ellis could be seen as unnecessary, but according to Iamagm.com they may be better off without Granger in the long term. He is due nearly $40 million over the next 3 years and has been with the Pacers since he was drafted by them in 2005. He is currently averaging 15.9 points and 4.4 rebounds per game through 10 games this season.



The Warriors (3-7) are a half game out of the bottom spot in the West. They also have a very deep backcourt with players such as Stephen Curry, Nate Robinson, Brandon Rush and rookie Klay Thompson, but are lacking in the small forward position. Ellis is due $33 million over the next 3 year and has been in perpetual trade rumors for the last year. Ellis was a 2nd round pick by the Warriors also in the 2005 draft. Through 9 games so far this season he is averaging 24.6 points, 7.9 assists and 2.8 rebounds.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:03 am
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:36 am
I would trade him for Josh Smith. I read he want's out from Atlanta. Maybe throw in Wright. That would made us a lot better as a team.

Pg Curry, Nate, Carl
Sg Rush, Klay
Sf Smith, Mcgee
Pf Lee, Udoh, Tyler
C Andris, Earl

Throw in and a healthy Brown resigned next year to cement the defence on the paint and you have a verry good team. All you have to do is wait for the young ones to develop ( Carl, Klay, Tyler, Udoh).
Image

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:42 pm
I used to be against trading Monta. I think his play at SG has been better then ever before. His D is getting better, he is not taking as many risks, and his assists has been better then before, creating for team mates. And he still scores and plays hard like always. Some days are bad, like yesterday, but overal he is very good. The reason i would trade him... if the right opportunity came, is his attitude and the whole cheating thing, is like a black cloud around the team. I don't like his vibe right now. Last year it was a possitive I want to be a good leader, teammate, dad etc.... and now it is just fake...

However, with that said, I would rather trade Dorell Wright. He is not playing like he did last year. He seems to be regressing this year, and his D isn't what it was made up to be. He loses his man sometimes, and he really doesn't have any energy. I think the two spots we need to get better at is at SF and C. We have been trying to get better at C, and we know there isn't much we can do there...

So, I think trading for Granger would be a good deal, but I would like to trade D. Wright and some bench pieces instead of Monta if possible. Or there have been some rumors that Boston might rebuild, and they would be willing to part with Paul Pierce. I think Pierce could bring a lot to the team. He has the defense mentality and the experience to lead this team. He is due a lot of money next 2 years, but I wouldn't mind taking that on in exchange for Dorell, and say Kwame's expiring. Boston would be looking for expiring contracts, so Kwame's would work nicely. We would probably have to throw in picks or someone like jenkins or rush in there. or both.

But if we could keep ellis and get Paul and have a roster like:
Curry, Robinson
Ellis, Klay
Pierce, (Rush, or whoever we have left)
Lee, McGuire
Beans, Udoh

Then you obviously build on the bench in the FA next year... leave little room for FA Center, but it is not like there is much out there that we could get without seriously over paying anyway.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"
Image

Image : 2010 - 2011

Rookie
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:14 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:14 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:I used to be against trading Monta. I think his play at SG has been better then ever before. His D is getting better, he is not taking as many risks, and his assists has been better then before, creating for team mates. And he still scores and plays hard like always. Some days are bad, like yesterday, but overal he is very good. The reason i would trade him... if the right opportunity came, is his attitude and the whole cheating thing, is like a black cloud around the team. I don't like his vibe right now. Last year it was a possitive I want to be a good leader, teammate, dad etc.... and now it is just fake...

However, with that said, I would rather trade Dorell Wright. He is not playing like he did last year. He seems to be regressing this year, and his D isn't what it was made up to be. He loses his man sometimes, and he really doesn't have any energy. I think the two spots we need to get better at is at SF and C. We have been trying to get better at C, and we know there isn't much we can do there...

So, I think trading for Granger would be a good deal, but I would like to trade D. Wright and some bench pieces instead of Monta if possible. Or there have been some rumors that Boston might rebuild, and they would be willing to part with Paul Pierce. I think Pierce could bring a lot to the team. He has the defense mentality and the experience to lead this team. He is due a lot of money next 2 years, but I wouldn't mind taking that on in exchange for Dorell, and say Kwame's expiring. Boston would be looking for expiring contracts, so Kwame's would work nicely. We would probably have to throw in picks or someone like jenkins or rush in there. or both.

But if we could keep ellis and get Paul and have a roster like:
Curry, Robinson
Ellis, Klay
Pierce, (Rush, or whoever we have left)
Lee, McGuire
Beans, Udoh

Then you obviously build on the bench in the FA next year... leave little room for FA Center, but it is not like there is much out there that we could get without seriously over paying anyway.


no offense, but yuck, i still prefer to add interior presents over SF. if we coulda offered more money to sammuel dalamber when we had the chance. his stats as rocekt starters for the past four games are [21pts, 16rebs, 1stl, 4blk] [6pts, 12rebs, 2stl, 1blk] [20pts, 7rebs, 0stl, 3blk] [14pts, 12rebs, 0stl, 0blk] ... instead we went for chandler,and failed then give kwame brown 7 million for 5 games....
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:13 pm
I agree Dalembert would have been a nice pickup, specially since the rockets got him for $7 million and a team option next year. Same we paid for brown. But my point was that there are no big men out there that are worth that money any more. And since there is none, we should focus on what we cam fix, and I think that would be the string SF spot. I like dorell, but he hasn't been very good this season on offense or defense.

Come March 1st, if we are still under .500, I think we should look to rebuild.... This team is better then it's record, and I would give them at least until March to prove that. Trade deadline is March 15 I think
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"
Image

Image : 2010 - 2011
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 am
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:16 am
yep like the trade ideas. Granger or Josh Smith would be upgrades. Plus Josh Smith is friends with Dwight (pipedream I know). I think Klay Thompson has show enough scoring ability already to offset what we'd lose in a Monta trade.

Rookie
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:48 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:14 pm
rockyBeli wrote:yep like the trade ideas. Granger or Josh Smith would be upgrades. Plus Josh Smith is friends with Dwight (pipedream I know). I think Klay Thompson has show enough scoring ability already to offset what we'd lose in a Monta trade.



I predict Monta will not be traded before the 2012 NBA draft. If the Warriors get the miracle #1 pick, then you got Andre Drummond and you've got your C. No need to trade Monta. If the Warriors pick 4-7 then you grab SF Harrison Barnes or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and you move Klay Thompson to SG. Monta gets traded in that scenario. If you lose the draft pick, then you still gotta make the trade, since the Curry-Monta combo does not win.

So I only see Monta staying if we get the #1 pick.

Thinking about this more, I can envision a trade deadline deal this year where Monta goes to Orlando, Dwight to New Jersey and Brook Lopez to Warriors. Lopez would have to be a sign-and-trade. Warriors get Orlando's 1st round pick. NJ would have to add $8m worth of players to the pot to make the salaries work and filler for the difference between Monta's contract and Lopez (new) contract.

Warriors would end up with a poor record and get their lottery pick...
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:34 pm
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:04 pm
What Steve Kerr said about Monta is right and even Greg Pappa agrees. Monta is a sixth man on a good team. The only way he'd except a role like that is on another team, unless he gets traded to a bad team like the Wolves. The ideal scenario would be to move Monta for another young talent, a draft pick and/or expiring contract(s). Something Ellis to the Bobcats for Augustin and Diaw. I've always liked Diaw and he's coming off a game that he nearly got a triple double. He's a do it all guy. He can defend, rebound, pass and be a point forward. He's not a great scorer, but his unselfishness should bode well playing with guys like Curry and Lee. I still feel he can play the SF position and if anything, he could be a guy off the bench. Most importantly, he's an expiring contract ($9M) and the Warriors will have his rights. Augustin is a guy that can come in and give Curry some rest and if Steph goes down again with another ankle injury, then Augustin can easily step in and be a starter. Another plus is that Augustin is also an expiring contract ($3.2M). Combine that with the Warriors salary for 2012/13, and they'll be about $22M under the cap with guys like Deron Williams and Javale McGee being free agents. Even then a line up of Curry, Rush, Diaw, Lee and Biedrins would still be a better line up than what they have now. This gives them depth with Robinson, Augustin, Wright and Udoh off the bench.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 am
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:29 pm
hummbabybear wrote:
rockyBeli wrote:yep like the trade ideas. Granger or Josh Smith would be upgrades. Plus Josh Smith is friends with Dwight (pipedream I know). I think Klay Thompson has show enough scoring ability already to offset what we'd lose in a Monta trade.



I predict Monta will not be traded before the 2012 NBA draft. If the Warriors get the miracle #1 pick, then you got Andre Drummond and you've got your C. No need to trade Monta. If the Warriors pick 4-7 then you grab SF Harrison Barnes or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and you move Klay Thompson to SG. Monta gets traded in that scenario. If you lose the draft pick, then you still gotta make the trade, since the Curry-Monta combo does not win.

So I only see Monta staying if we get the #1 pick.

Thinking about this more, I can envision a trade deadline deal this year where Monta goes to Orlando, Dwight to New Jersey and Brook Lopez to Warriors. Lopez would have to be a sign-and-trade. Warriors get Orlando's 1st round pick. NJ would have to add $8m worth of players to the pot to make the salaries work and filler for the difference between Monta's contract and Lopez (new) contract.

Warriors would end up with a poor record and get their lottery pick...


That'd be a good deal for us. a David Lee / B. Lopez front court would be pretty fierce. On a side note, Curry and Lee would be the perfect compliments to D Howards game. Doubt Orlando would go for an Ellis trade but I'd think that DH would want to play with players like Lee and Curry because of their spreading the floor and passing abilities.

Just watched the Blazers game on the DVR, nice to see the team play that well, including Monta. He didn't dominate the ball and the team goes on a run... coincidence? When he did, he was picking his spots more and looking to play-make. Only ended up with 7 FGA's but 11 assists. Also Curry reminded me how good he is and how much the team missed him. The 2nd half was the best ball I've seen them play all year.... teamplay, opportunistic, the ball was jumping. That's what I'd like to see from this team as far as scoring. 1/3 Curry 1/3 David Lee 1/3 Monta. Kinda like the We Believe team where they just got the rock to the hot hand. Monta needs to be a playmaker, not just a scorer, to be valuable to this team. He's too much of a liability on D (constantly out of position) to be a one-dimensional player making $11mil/yr

Rookie
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:14 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:12 am
BayAreaHoopz wrote:What Steve Kerr said about Monta is right and even Greg Pappa agrees. Monta is a sixth man on a good team. The only way he'd except a role like that is on another team, unless he gets traded to a bad team like the Wolves. The ideal scenario would be to move Monta for another young talent, a draft pick and/or expiring contract(s). Something Ellis to the Bobcats for Augustin and Diaw. I've always liked Diaw and he's coming off a game that he nearly got a triple double. He's a do it all guy. He can defend, rebound, pass and be a point forward. He's not a great scorer, but his unselfishness should bode well playing with guys like Curry and Lee. I still feel he can play the SF position and if anything, he could be a guy off the bench. Most importantly, he's an expiring contract ($9M) and the Warriors will have his rights. Augustin is a guy that can come in and give Curry some rest and if Steph goes down again with another ankle injury, then Augustin can easily step in and be a starter. Another plus is that Augustin is also an expiring contract ($3.2M). Combine that with the Warriors salary for 2012/13, and they'll be about $22M under the cap with guys like Deron Williams and Javale McGee being free agents. Even then a line up of Curry, Rush, Diaw, Lee and Biedrins would still be a better line up than what they have now. This gives them depth with Robinson, Augustin, Wright and Udoh off the bench.


coming off a almost tripple double? u cant just look at 1 or 2 games... he isnt doing alot of **** most of the times. .. diaw just got demoted to bench player and hes outta shape. u should go check his last 10 games' stats. then u will prob change ur mind. i rather try to get robin lopez with phenix sun.

Edit:
here nvm i'll post diaw's stats, and dj augstin is an injury prone just like curry.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/337/diaw.jpg/
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:26 pm
facue420 wrote:
BayAreaHoopz wrote:What Steve Kerr said about Monta is right and even Greg Pappa agrees. Monta is a sixth man on a good team. The only way he'd except a role like that is on another team, unless he gets traded to a bad team like the Wolves. The ideal scenario would be to move Monta for another young talent, a draft pick and/or expiring contract(s). Something Ellis to the Bobcats for Augustin and Diaw. I've always liked Diaw and he's coming off a game that he nearly got a triple double. He's a do it all guy. He can defend, rebound, pass and be a point forward. He's not a great scorer, but his unselfishness should bode well playing with guys like Curry and Lee. I still feel he can play the SF position and if anything, he could be a guy off the bench. Most importantly, he's an expiring contract ($9M) and the Warriors will have his rights. Augustin is a guy that can come in and give Curry some rest and if Steph goes down again with another ankle injury, then Augustin can easily step in and be a starter. Another plus is that Augustin is also an expiring contract ($3.2M). Combine that with the Warriors salary for 2012/13, and they'll be about $22M under the cap with guys like Deron Williams and Javale McGee being free agents. Even then a line up of Curry, Rush, Diaw, Lee and Biedrins would still be a better line up than what they have now. This gives them depth with Robinson, Augustin, Wright and Udoh off the bench.


coming off a almost tripple double? u cant just look at 1 or 2 games... he isnt doing alot of **** most of the times. .. diaw just got demoted to bench player and hes outta shape. u should go check his last 10 games' stats. then u will prob change ur mind. i rather try to get robin lopez with phenix sun.

Edit:
here nvm i'll post diaw's stats, and dj augstin is an injury prone just like curry.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/337/diaw.jpg/



I don't like Diaw at all either. He isn't the same guy we remember from Phoenix teams. He doesn't play hard and he is inconsistent. I would rather gamble on someone else...
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"
Image

Image : 2010 - 2011

Rookie
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:14 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:04 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
facue420 wrote:
BayAreaHoopz wrote:What Steve Kerr said about Monta is right and even Greg Pappa agrees. Monta is a sixth man on a good team. The only way he'd except a role like that is on another team, unless he gets traded to a bad team like the Wolves. The ideal scenario would be to move Monta for another young talent, a draft pick and/or expiring contract(s). Something Ellis to the Bobcats for Augustin and Diaw. I've always liked Diaw and he's coming off a game that he nearly got a triple double. He's a do it all guy. He can defend, rebound, pass and be a point forward. He's not a great scorer, but his unselfishness should bode well playing with guys like Curry and Lee. I still feel he can play the SF position and if anything, he could be a guy off the bench. Most importantly, he's an expiring contract ($9M) and the Warriors will have his rights. Augustin is a guy that can come in and give Curry some rest and if Steph goes down again with another ankle injury, then Augustin can easily step in and be a starter. Another plus is that Augustin is also an expiring contract ($3.2M). Combine that with the Warriors salary for 2012/13, and they'll be about $22M under the cap with guys like Deron Williams and Javale McGee being free agents. Even then a line up of Curry, Rush, Diaw, Lee and Biedrins would still be a better line up than what they have now. This gives them depth with Robinson, Augustin, Wright and Udoh off the bench.


coming off a almost tripple double? u cant just look at 1 or 2 games... he isnt doing alot of **** most of the times. .. diaw just got demoted to bench player and hes outta shape. u should go check his last 10 games' stats. then u will prob change ur mind. i rather try to get robin lopez with phenix sun.

Edit:
here nvm i'll post diaw's stats, and dj augstin is an injury prone just like curry.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/337/diaw.jpg/



I don't like Diaw at all either. He isn't the same guy we remember from Phoenix teams. He doesn't play hard and he is inconsistent. I would rather gamble on someone else...


i would give robin lopez a chance.. since hes still young and he has potential when giving mins.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron