Trade Monta already!!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 pm
Sick of this dude!! Still plays like a rookie with his bone-head decisions. His brain is mush!! Still is a defensive liability. Still is a ball hogging cancer. Still isn't a leader. Still hasn't gotten his team to the playoffs. At what point do you do the deal while the guy has some trade value?

Glorified Ben Gordon is what he is ! A scorer AND THAT IS IT. he sucks at everything else!!

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:16 pm
rockyBeli wrote:Sick of this dude!! Still plays like a rookie with his bone-head decisions. His brain is mush!! Still is a defensive liability. Still is a ball hogging cancer. Still isn't a leader. Still hasn't gotten his team to the playoffs. At what point do you do the deal while the guy has some trade value?

Glorified Ben Gordon is what he is ! A scorer AND THAT IS IT. he sucks at everything else!!

Monta is a good scorer he is the best player on this team. They don't have a true PG Curry trying to grow into a true PG, but chronic ankle problems are slowing down his development to be a good NBA PG. Monta is a good player at what he does he has a role and it is scoring.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 pm
rockyBeli wrote:Sick of this dude!! Still plays like a rookie with his bone-head decisions. His brain is mush!! Still is a defensive liability. Still is a ball hogging cancer. Still isn't a leader. Still hasn't gotten his team to the playoffs. At what point do you do the deal while the guy has some trade value?

Wow, a little bit of an over reaction maybe? You maybe wrong on every assertion you just made...
-Ball hogging!?!? Couldn't be further from the truth - he is 7th in the league in APG.
-How many players take their team to the playoff alone?
-We have been shopping him around for 3 years with no takers, so you're likely mistaken about him having much trade value - he is worth far more to use as a player then he is for anything we'll get back.

Ellis >>>>>> Gordon - at every single aspect of the game other than 3-pt shooting and he'll be better at that too when all is said and done.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:49 pm
JREED wrote:

Wow, a little bit of an over reaction maybe? You maybe wrong on every assertion you just made...
-Ball hogging!?!? Couldn't be further from the truth - he is 7th in the league in APG.
-How many players take their team to the playoff alone?
-We have been shopping him around for 3 years with no takers, so you're likely mistaken about him having much trade value - he is worth far more to use as a player then he is for anything we'll get back.

Ellis >>>>>> Gordon - at every single aspect of the game other than 3-pt shooting and he'll be better at that too when all is said and done.

-- If this were a new development, it'd be an over reaction. But he's been the poster boy of mediocrity for this team for the last 7 years.
-- Ball hogging is easy to see with the eyeball test. Anyone who watches him play can tell you passing or playmaking is the last thing on this dude's mind. The assists are misleading because his usage rate rivals that of DURANT and LEBRON. I could get 8 assists myself if I'm being used that much. Here's the gameplan: give the ball to Monta while everyone watches.
-- Star players impact their team. Any star surrounded by our supporting cast would at least be at .500. Star players aren't the dumbest on the court also! Star players mentally lead their team. Monta is no star or superstar, so we should stop acting like he is (not saying everyone does).
-- I bet we can get Iguadala for him

-- My point is, give Ben Gordon as much freedom as a Durant or a Lebron and I bet you he get's similar numbers.

aside from that, that game vs Heat was entertaining. Nate + the Oracle fueled a crazy comeback
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:17 am
-He is our best option, the coaches now that, the players know that, even the other team knows that but they normally can't do much about it.
-You don't get to 7th in the league in APG by being a ball hog, it just doesn't happen - he is averaging about 2-6 min more then the other top 10 players in that category, even if you say that's worth +1 assist, he would still be in the top 10.
-I could argue that Monta hasn't had much of a supporting cast outside Curry at times in the past several seasons and certainly no big men.
-Didn't we try to get Iggy? I said when that rumor was floating around that I'd be down with the deal.

I'm not trying to play the role of the Ellis fanboy here, but he has played well and been about the only bright spot we've consistently had in recent years. I wish Curry didn't have that week ankle, but he does and we'll never be able to depend on him nor will we get much back for him now that the book is out.

My perfect scenarios would be:
-Curry's ankle heals up and is proven to be mostly a non-issue and we trade Monta for a bigger, more defensively minded 2/3 (Iggy).
or
-Monta accepts the role as the 1 and we deal Curry for a similar player as above that can also handle or at least free Monta up.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:10 pm
I don't know what to think. Monta is an explosive freak athlete, but in basketball the best team wins, not the best player. Dallas Mavericks didn't have any explosive player like that last season, then again their way to winning championship was long and winding, and their opponents lost rather than they won. Also anyone who saw game 3 knows that it was bought (16 mavs fouls vs 32 heat?), but heat still won that game, but at what price? sorry for pointless offtopic lol
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:00 pm
I think Monta has accepted the role that Management has given him. THey have made him the leader because he is the best player on the team. He is a scorer. He does that, and does an excellent job. Does he hog the ball? He does at times, but because that is what is being asked of him. He also creates a lot of shots for team mates, and I think a lot of his turn overs have been when he is trying to hard to get others involved, driving and then trying to force feed the guys in the post.

Look, is he perfect, no. Does he have flaws, yes. Is he the best SG out there? no.
But he is a very good one, and our team is better with him, then without him.
Also, for all the talk of his defense being bad... I haven't seen that this year so far. His defense has been solid, and he hasn't been gambling on steals. Most of his steals are coming from digging on the post, like he should. Sometimes he gets over aggresive and fouls.... but i'll take that over then being under aggressive.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:34 pm
Warriors need to add talent, not subtract talent, for me it is that simple. Through free agency, via the draft.

Also we have to consider the warriors other star, Curry aka the "ankle" he has been out of alot of games, I don't think that is helping the situation.

Does Monta cause headaches during the fourth quarter, yes, obviously, but I think with a healthy Curry the load is taking of and we have options.

The concept is team, look at how good Deron Williams and the Nets are doing, that scenario look familiar, we can't do ish without a supporting.

Now with all three healthy, Curry, Monta, and DLee and we are doing horrid then I would panick.

I was an Advocate of prying Gortat from Orlando when his stock value was low enough playing behind Howard, but warriors never acted on it. Certain moves need to be made but that is to add value. If a deal about that would send Monta to another team that will benefit the squad then go for it, but warriors will have to structure a functional team, not a team that over laps in positions.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:13 am
its not that easyt to trade ellis okay, there are no teams willing to give up what we ask for ellis, hes overpaid, cant play face up D, always gameble on steals, whos gonna take him?? and its not like the GM gonna come here and read ur topic and trade him.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:49 pm
whatever the case, W's shouldn't use him like he's the second coming of Kobe.
here's a stat... Monta has had a FG% above 40% in only a little over 27% of the games (3 out of 11).
yet he's 2nd in FGA's and tied with Lebron and Durant in usage rate. so 3 out of 4 games we can expect him to shoot under 40% and take 20+ shots. most of his career has been like this too.
if he was a natural playmaker, it'd be different, but his court-vision is pretty bad and most assists are bailout drive and kick / drive in dump off instead of really setting his teammates up by design.
what has "Monta ball" ever gotten the Warriors. I'd like to see more teamball where even Klay Thompson is doing some playmaking.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:20 pm
klays playmaking has been aweful. He needs a lot of work. Defense has been getting better, and shooting is getting better. However Monta looked mediocre today too. At some point if we don't get some wins, we need to start looking to the future. Trade Ellis and beans if you can get something back. Trade wright too. He is too hot and cold.

But those are trade deadline decisions.... Too early for that.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:06 am
It's not too early, it's a short season. And anyway, I wasn't happy when they hired Jackson, now I'm pissed and already want him gone. I hope I'm not the only one, but he looks like another ra-ra coach, preaching and stuff and no good gameplay.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:08 pm
I agree you guybrush. I dont really understand the GM motivations fire Smart. He improve record by 10 games in one season. Why? M.Jackson before season starts said - we play defense ... cmon, where? I see only one man who can play solid on D. What can give Monta and Lee combinated 40 points, if they allow 50-60 points. If play all, than all on defense.
freak_y

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:17 pm
stop blaming the coach, its the players who cant play D. All the players they got this season they all play d (kwame, Rush..etc), even nate is playing better D than ellis. the players whom ex owner got, none of em play D. so go call Chris Cohan and b!tch about it
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:55 pm
And it's Cohan's problem that coach now wants to play D first team, and he doesn't have a roster for it? And also steps away from fast paced game, which is the only thing where our players can thrive in?

Come on, man. And watch your language a little bit.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball