They Keep Teasing Us - Dwight Howard

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:49 pm
so what are you saying? We don't get this years dp, no biggie, that goes to Utah anyway... then next year we suck, but won't get the Draft Pick either, goes to orlando... or then the next year we suck, we get the draft pick? and the year after that we suck, and Orlando gets another Draft pick?

How are we suppose to get better when we owe all our draft picks and no one wants to come here in FA cause we suck.
I say don't trade for Howard yet. See if you can do a sign in the offseason, after the draft. That way we keep our guys, and we at that point, will be able to offer future 1st round draft picks since we have completed our commitment to Utah.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:04 pm
Wait, how many draft picks do you reckon we are going to send to Orlando?

We have committed our next draft pick, so we will have to offer them for the year after, but as I said, if we do send them the pick, we should try to keep at least one young guy who could lead the team while we build around him. We will have a lot of cap space if Dwight leaves and we have traded other stars we had for him. So, with Dwight for one season, getting into the playoffs, and this already being a big market, I think we will draw a lot of interest for future free agents. And we will start rebuilding via draft after few seasons as well. But I believe with some success in the playoffs we will already have a nice team even without Dwight, with good FA acquisitions.
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:23 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:so what are you saying? We don't get this years dp, no biggie, that goes to Utah anyway... then next year we suck, but won't get the Draft Pick either, goes to orlando... or then the next year we suck, we get the draft pick? and the year after that we suck, and Orlando gets another Draft pick?

How are we suppose to get better when we owe all our draft picks and no one wants to come here in FA cause we suck.
I say don't trade for Howard yet. See if you can do a sign in the offseason, after the draft. That way we keep our guys, and we at that point, will be able to offer future 1st round draft picks since we have completed our commitment to Utah.

I know we've drafted decently the past few drafts but historically we have been one of the worse drafting teams in the NBA with so many missed opportunities and complete busts. Before the season started, I wouldn't have been down with this deal, but know I'd love to see it happen. This move will generate a lot of much needed attention for us, plus if Howard sticks around, it would certainly turn our franchise around and that would be worth many draft picks.

I don't get how you think we'd suck with Howard? Maybe I'm just not understanding you correctly, but that certainly wouldn't be the case - we have a better roster than the Magic (minus Howard). If there was a decent chance that Howard sticks around, would you not give up several 1st rounders? A player like Howard doesn't come around very often, if it were a sign and trade, I'd say he's worth 3+ 1st rounders easily - though I realize that is not likely.

Draft picks just aren't as important in the NBA as some would think - the success rate is really low and the likelihood of getting a guy like Dwight is extremely improbable.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:30 am
I am okay with giving up draft picks. One, if we are good, they are going to be in bottom half of the 1st round anyway. Two, with Howard we would hopefully have some "cred" and would be able to attract free-agents a lot easier. The main catch in all this is not gutting the roster to acquire Howard to the point that he doesn't want to stay. I still don't think we have enough to get this done, Curry or Ellis, plus Udoh and Thompson + picks still doesn't seem like enough, even if we take back TurkeyGlue's contract.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:44 pm
all on board getting this done, even if a rental, and especially if we can keep Lee + Ellis or Curry. Curry or Ellis + Lee & Howard is better than anything we got. plus I believe DH would lose like $30mil by opting for FA, so there'd be some incentive for him to stay, especially if we're competitive. time for Lacob to make a big move.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:51 pm
Really is a stupid risk even considering getting Dwight. Not only would it take three or four of the starters at least to get him, he'll just leave it after one season anyway.

The fact Dwight said he'd only resign with three teams is enough to keep well away from him.

The team should be looking to trade for the likes of BLopez and MGasol, who would fill needs and come much cheaper

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:41 am
Then we would be like New Jersey... they are running the same risk with D. Williams... they have sucked the past 4 - 5 years, and they gave away some nice pieces to Utah for what... a rental of D. Williams? Did that get them in the playoffs last year? No. Did that get them in the playoffs this year? Doesn't look like it, with B. Lopez out, they are struggling.

If they continue like this, I doubt D. Williams will stay, he'll bolt to Dallas fist chance he gets.

All this talk about Orlando trading Howard, I wouldn't be surprised if they just held out to the trade deadline then tried to convience NJ to trade D. Williams to them... send them back some good pieces like J. Nelson, JJ. Redick, Ryan Anderson... some picks... then Orlando would have flipped the switch and kept Howard and got D. Williams... damn, I should be a GM. LOL.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:30 am
"the Warriors are willing to take Howard as a one-season "rental" while trying to sell him on the idea of a long-term commitment to the franchise. They'd likely have to give up either Steph Curry or Monta Ellis and also take back the ugly contract of Hedo Turkoglu. Meanwhile, the Magic have shown no signs of urgency to deal Howard. This remains a fluid situation, with the Nets, Lakers and Mavericks also in the mix. The trade deadline is March 15"

theres no point of talkin about howard, he belongs to big city. he will not stay in warriors for sure. theres no way the magic will trade with the warriors. its simple, if ellis cant make the warriors better what makes yal think magic will take ellis? im not even going to mention curry, no team will risk taking curry that injury prone until he prove himself. yes yes i know hes good when he is healthy, but he aint healthy 80% of the times. if u play NBA fantasy u know what im talking about, his name is on injury list 80% of the time with that re-rererererererrerererererrere x93849324 injuried ankle. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

the knicks trying to get howard too, they have way better trade assests than us.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:16 pm
facue420 wrote:"the Warriors are willing to take Howard as a one-season "rental" while trying to sell him on the idea of a long-term commitment to the franchise. They'd likely have to give up either Steph Curry or Monta Ellis and also take back the ugly contract of Hedo Turkoglu. Meanwhile, the Magic have shown no signs of urgency to deal Howard. This remains a fluid situation, with the Nets, Lakers and Mavericks also in the mix. The trade deadline is March 15"

theres no point of talkin about howard, he belongs to big city. he will not stay in warriors for sure. theres no way the magic will trade with the warriors. its simple, if ellis cant make the warriors better what makes yal think magic will take ellis? im not even going to mention curry, no team will risk taking curry that injury prone until he prove himself. yes yes i know hes good when he is healthy, but he aint healthy 80% of the times. if u play NBA fantasy u know what im talking about, his name is on injury list 80% of the time with that re-rererererererrerererererrere x93849324 injuried ankle. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

the knicks trying to get howard too, they have way better trade assests than us.

Yes, this is REALITY, we are not getting Howard, it would make no sense if we do, we just don't have the assets, specially with an injured Curry. So no Howard, am not even going to speculate on it any more.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:18 pm
Howard not going to come Warriors have no asset to get Howard. The deal would include Curry( there are big doubts with his health) Klay Thompson( hasn't done much to have good impact on team) Udoh (seems like another bench player no good impact on team) Warrior pick ( I've read you can't trade consecutive picks) and Ellis or Lee? Even if we do get Howard he not going to stay with this limited roster and is Lacob going to go over the luxury tax to get another big free agent?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:47 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Then we would be like New Jersey... they are running the same risk with D. Williams... they have sucked the past 4 - 5 years, and they gave away some nice pieces to Utah for what... a rental of D. Williams? Did that get them in the playoffs last year? No. Did that get them in the playoffs this year? Doesn't look like it, with B. Lopez out, they are struggling.

If they continue like this, I doubt D. Williams will stay, he'll bolt to Dallas fist chance he gets.

All this talk about Orlando trading Howard, I wouldn't be surprised if they just held out to the trade deadline then tried to convience NJ to trade D. Williams to them... send them back some good pieces like J. Nelson, JJ. Redick, Ryan Anderson... some picks... then Orlando would have flipped the switch and kept Howard and got D. Williams... damn, I should be a GM. LOL.

That's exactly what I think will happen. Orlando will send a package of JNelson, Turk and fillers for DWilliams and the Magic, the far better organised franchise in their history, will be the ones to make the deal out of those two teams. The Magic will then be set to add one more piece and be a top 2-4 team for sure, for a few years actually

migya make the ring fall on ya
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:09 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Then we would be like New Jersey... they are running the same risk with D. Williams... they have sucked the past 4 - 5 years, and they gave away some nice pieces to Utah for what... a rental of D. Williams? Did that get them in the playoffs last year? No. Did that get them in the playoffs this year? Doesn't look like it, with B. Lopez out, they are struggling.

I don't believe we will get Howard, but Howard >>>>>>> Williams - it's not even worth a comparison of value because of the overwhelming discrepancy. If we had Howard we'd be a playoff team easy, even without the pieces we'd give up for him.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:41 pm
If we can get Howard and keep Monta and Klay i am alla for it. Next year we will be contenders and this year we will be good enough to persuade Howard to stay.But if we can't there is another way. Trade this summer for number 1 draft pick and get that superstar you need.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:54 pm
Yeah, well we're not going to get any better by not taking any chances. Anything that can give us some moral, even if its picking up a superstar temporarily I think we should do it. A lot of our players are replaceable (yeah, I know they're good players but...) Curry is probably going to keep getting hurt and without a superstar Center we aren't going anywhere.

Next, yeah, it's probably a mute point that we're trying to go after Dwight..probably isn't going to happen. But we need to trade some of our good players for a great player/players.

So yeah, it's about taking chances..not necessarily shooting for the stars but at least trying to.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:50 pm
Knightofoceans wrote:Yeah, well we're not going to get any better by not taking any chances. Anything that can give us some moral, even if its picking up a superstar temporarily I think we should do it. A lot of our players are replaceable (yeah, I know they're good players but...) Curry is probably going to keep getting hurt and without a superstar Center we aren't going anywhere.

Next, yeah, it's probably a mute point that we're trying to go after Dwight..probably isn't going to happen. But we need to trade some of our good players for a great player/players.

So yeah, it's about taking chances..not necessarily shooting for the stars but at least trying to.

the point is, no teams r willing to take our players, our players who have trade values are overpaid and they will not make the teams better for magic. look at warriors now,
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball