Favorite player of all time

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:58 am
Don't know if we had this thread before, didn't find one.

Anyway, I'm just curious who is/are your favorite players that played the game. NBA players, of course. And it doesn't have to be someone who played for the Warriors. My favorite player while growing up did have some connection to the Warriors, though. :)

Here we go:

Man, if it weren't for those injuries, he'd be a sure bet for a Hall of Fame. Amazing ball skill, great off the dribble, jump shoot, back to the basket, unreal assists...Penny could do it all. :D

I also loved watching Glen Rice, cause of that perfect shot that he had. That was beautiful to watch. And Payton - Kemp duo was fun, but Penny is better than all of those guys. Some think (including me) that he would be the closest to Jordan if it weren't for the injuries.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:59 pm
Mine was shawn KEMP!!! I don't know if he was my most favorite (I am not including Jordan because everyone goes there), but he certainly was close. He holds a special place on my list becuase I started watching basketball and playing when I was a kid right around when he joined the league, and he was amazing to watch!!

I think he could have been one of the best players in history if not for all the off court mistakes he made.

I used to have a trampoline and me and my friends would put it on the court trying to dunk and pretend we could recreate his moves.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:57 pm
David Robinson was my favourite player. I admit he was more towards the soft side and I mean that with all respect and honesty, but he was so physically gifted and a smart man and player, that he was always going to be a superstar. Had he have been more asserive and aggressive, I think he'd have been the greatest player ever, easily scoring over 30pts a game most of the seasons of his career

migya make the ring fall on ya

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:37 am
I have 6 favorite players based on position.

pg: Kidd/nash: I grew up watching Kidd first (Cal bball); but i began following Nash since 1996 (when I got his rookie card) and hoped he became someone special. he did; both men play the point guard spot completely different (one plays with power, other finesse). Both great passers, Kidd getting triple doubles was fun, Nash running around in circles only to put a phantom layup or an insane pass.

sg: Allen Iverson: he is a sg/pg combo... also got his rookie card in 1996; loved his passion on the court; his cross dribble, his shear speed. He worked so hard, sacraficed his body, only 5'11. I loved playing basketball against my friends and emulating my game like AI. I practiced my cross dribbles so i could shoot over taller defenders (i am usually the shortest on the court, so being able to separate against the taller defender is important).

sf: James Worthy: Worthy was the very first basketball player i have ever heard of (yes, that includes before MJ, magic). I don't remember how i got to know him before everyone else, but I loved following him during his final couple years as a young kid and especially after his career ended. Just watching him in the players with those classic laker teams, he was so clutch during the playoffs. He was one of the best basketball players of all time, yet no one really talks about him.

pf: Antwan Jamison: Jamison was the first Golden State Warrior that got me obsessed with the Warriors. I was always a warriors fan, as I grew up in the bay, but there was something about Jamison's game that I immediately made him my favorite warrior. I remember watching on tv the time where he did the back to back 50 point performances, including the latter one against the lakers, where Kobe scored 50 as well. Just an epic game. Warriors ended up winning that one, and immediately making Jamison my favorite warrior of all time.

c: Dikembe Mutombo: He looked like he had a lot of fun out there. Very charitable player off the field. Amazing blocker. I was such a big fan of his when he went to the NBA finals with Iverson back in 2002, and with Kidd in 2003. I liked his finger wag after a rejection and his "no no no no no" calling after each block (with his incredibly deep voice).

SO there is my list: 2 Georgetown alum, 2 North Carolina Alum, and 2 bay area university alums
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:19 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Mine was shawn KEMP!!! I don't know if he was my most favorite (I am not including Jordan because everyone goes there), but he certainly was close. He holds a special place on my list becuase I started watching basketball and playing when I was a kid right around when he joined the league, and he was amazing to watch!!

I think he could have been one of the best players in history if not for all the off court mistakes he made.

I used to have a trampoline and me and my friends would put it on the court trying to dunk and pretend we could recreate his moves.

the lockout really messed him up too... he came back fat as hell and never recovered.

he was my favorite player too as a kid... him and Sir Charles.

Charles is now the greatest personality in NBA broadcasting history
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:02 am
Real good thread, surprised no more people have been part of it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:26 am
I think people don't look at all parts of the forum, unfortunately.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:08 am
Guybrush wrote:I think people don't look at all parts of the forum, unfortunately.

Yea, that's usually how it's always been. A good thread this one and I'll start trying to find some clips of other players to put in here

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:52 am
To bring this back up a bit:

That's a true player, a man who loves the game (and Malone as well). Look at this eyes when he left the game. Nothing but respect for the man. The best point guard to have ever played the game. :D =D>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:11 am
Can't find good highlights of Glen Rice, so here's just one game highlights:

I loved watching that guy shoot the ball when I was a kid. It's still one of the best shooters I have ever watched. Perfect throw as well. He's right there with Ray Allen, if you ask me.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:44 pm
My brother actually met Glen Rice waiting for a flight out of SFO. Said he was hella conceded, but rightfully so when my bro said he was one of the best pure shooters in league history, Rice agreed.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:01 pm
He seems like a really decent guy. He came here (Belgrade) once (or maybe few times) with Vlade Divac. He was willing to sign autographs, even though he wasn't here on business, just as a Vlade's guest. Watched Partizan's game if I remember (that's where Acie Law is now :lol: ). Generally, throughout my childhood he left a good memory in it.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:56 am
My favorite Warrior of all time would have to be Sarunas Marciulionis. Loved how he played the game.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:41 pm
Favorite player of all-time? Shaquille O'Neal.

Favorite Warrior ever? How could it be anyone but Mully?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:20 am
What about this guy? Everyone had to love his defense and blocked shots.

Next

Return to NBA Forum