Official Warriors Free Agency/Trade Thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:00 pm
Seeing as most rumors have us as likely to be players in the free agent market, figured I'd make a thread for discussion regarding it.

First contribution:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/warriors-talk/post/Tyson-Chandler-in-Bay-Area-for-49ers-gam?blockID=605648&feedID=2799

http://yfrog.com/h38ggmqj

Looks like Lacob is going hard after Chandler. He addresses our needs pretty perfectly but will cost a lot but is 30 and injury-prone. Hopefully nothing more than 4 years 50 million if we do sign him. Might require us to amnesty Beans. agency
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:41 pm
I think if Chandler tells the warriors brass that he will come here for X amount of dollars, somewhere between 12 - 15 million, that they would amnesty Beans.

Here is a question for you:
If we do get Chandler, do you attempt to trade Curry, and someone else for CP3?
It would probably have to be like Curry, Klay Thompson, and Beans.... for CP3, then keep the amnesty and use it on Bell.

The hope would be having CP3 sign an extention since his old buddy Chandler would be on the team.
CP3-Ellis-Wright-Lee-Chandler.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:59 pm
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217023/Clippers_Warriors_Appear_To_Be_Hornets_Preferred_Trade_Partners_For_Paul

I love Curry, but if we could get CP3 to stay by either promising Dwight (if someone else doesn't trade for him) in FA or his good buddy Chandler, I'd make this trade. We get much better offensively and defensively. What do you think it would take for him to agree to an extension? 2nd round of playoffs?

How is this board so dead?
Get Money. Get Paid.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:10 pm
How many draft picks would y'all give up for Dwight knowing that there is no Guarentee he'd stay (i.e convince him)

id go 2 max 1st rounders and hope for the best thatsd hed be keen.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:34 am
People have to give up the dream of getting Chris Paul and a guy like Dwight Howard. Star players like that dictate where they want to go and neither one of them wants to be in Oakland. Paul has already hinted that he'd only sign an extension with New York or a team in Southern California. Howard wants to stay in Orlando or goto the Lakers. Why would the Warriors trade all their talent for a guy that will be here for a season, then leave for free agency to sign with a team he wants to be on? This isn't Baron Davis looking to revive a career. Its two of the top players at their positions in the league. Dramatically improving this team will need to involve a trade of some sort. The 2011 free agent market is flooded with role players, but that doesn't mean none of them could help this team in one way or another.

Yi Jianlian - Sure he's had some problems with consistency since he's joined the league, but there is no doubt this kid has talent. A 7 footer that can do what he do is still rare. Not many players with his size are as mobile and athletic as him. He's also a solid ball handler and has range all the way out to the 3 point line. He's also not a bad weak-side help defender with the ability to come up with some nice blocks. He could be a better rebounder but that can come with time. He's still only 24 years old (allegedly) so there is still plenty of room to grow. He would be a nice spark to have off the bench to ignite the fans and will be popular in a high Asian fan base. He will probably be cheap and could take a tad more than half of the MLE ($3.5M a year).

Wilson Chandler - He's a restricted free agent, but with Gallinari being a free agent next season, I don't think the Nuggets will want to invest too much into Chandler. He currently makes about $3M a year. He's the type of small forward this team needs. He has prototypical size at 6'8. He's a tough defender and a guy that can do a little of everything. A pretty underrated player. If the Warriors could come in and offer him $6M a year, then I think the Nuggets may pass on matching the offer.

Samuel Dalembert - An overlooked free agent. He's the same age as Tyson Chandler with a similar game. He's going to rebound and play defense. Maybe not at the level of Chandler, but neither will his paycheck. If the Warriors could get him for about $7M a year, then I think he could be a nice alternative to Biedrins.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:27 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:People have to give up the dream of getting Chris Paul and a guy like Dwight Howard. Star players like that dictate where they want to go and neither one of them wants to be in Oakland. Paul has already hinted that he'd only sign an extension with New York or a team in Southern California. Howard wants to stay in Orlando or goto the Lakers. Why would the Warriors trade all their talent for a guy that will be here for a season, then leave for free agency to sign with a team he wants to be on? This isn't Baron Davis looking to revive a career. Its two of the top players at their positions in the league. Dramatically improving this team will need to involve a trade of some sort. The 2011 free agent market is flooded with role players, but that doesn't mean none of them could help this team in one way or another.

Yi Jianlian - Sure he's had some problems with consistency since he's joined the league, but there is no doubt this kid has talent. A 7 footer that can do what he do is still rare. Not many players with his size are as mobile and athletic as him. He's also a solid ball handler and has range all the way out to the 3 point line. He's also not a bad weak-side help defender with the ability to come up with some nice blocks. He could be a better rebounder but that can come with time. He's still only 24 years old (allegedly) so there is still plenty of room to grow. He would be a nice spark to have off the bench to ignite the fans and will be popular in a high Asian fan base. He will probably be cheap and could take a tad more than half of the MLE ($3.5M a year).

Wilson Chandler - He's a restricted free agent, but with Gallinari being a free agent next season, I don't think the Nuggets will want to invest too much into Chandler. He currently makes about $3M a year. He's the type of small forward this team needs. He has prototypical size at 6'8. He's a tough defender and a guy that can do a little of everything. A pretty underrated player. If the Warriors could come in and offer him $6M a year, then I think the Nuggets may pass on matching the offer.

Samuel Dalembert - An overlooked free agent. He's the same age as Tyson Chandler with a similar game. He's going to rebound and play defense. Maybe not at the level of Chandler, but neither will his paycheck. If the Warriors could get him for about $7M a year, then I think he could be a nice alternative to Biedrins.

I thought i heard Yi Jianlian is out for the year due to a severe knee injury???

I maybe wrong.. but i thought I heard that.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:42 pm
Yi Jianlian has a strained MCL and is said to be out of basketball for about 2-4 weeks. That was from early November. He maybe ready for the start of camp.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:14 pm
I would honestly trade Curry for an unextended Paul just to destroy any chances of the Lakers acquiring him or Dwight. If they get both, or even just Dwight we can count on being embarrassed by them for another half decade.

The only way the Lakers can acquire either is via trade, and if we had Paul we hold the chips and are front runners for Howard. If he decides he wants to leave then we try to at least work out some kind of S&T to get some picks in next years draft.
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:17 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:I would honestly trade Curry for an unextended Paul just to destroy any chances of the Lakers acquiring him or Dwight. If they get both, or even just Dwight we can count on being embarrassed by them for another half decade.

The only way the Lakers can acquire either is via trade, and if we had Paul we hold the chips and are front runners for Howard. If he decides he wants to leave then we try to at least work out some kind of S&T to get some picks in next years draft.

I am with you there.

Just saw this video too, curry looks like he hit the wieghts hard (he is the only one who is visably bigger, but he was skinny before):
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2011/12/05/20111205_gsw_lookback.nba/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2#

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:18 pm
According to NBA.com, we have an early termination option on Bell:
http://www.nba.com/news/features/2011.p ... index.html

does this mean he get's to terminate it, or us?

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:30 pm
Mark Heisler: FORGET ABOUT WHAT TEAMS WILL GIVE UP FOR CHRIS PAUL: How many will deal without assurance from him he'll stay? I know one (Clippers) who may Twitter

New Orleans Hornets, Orlando Magic, Trade, Chris Paul | share
Mark Heisler: AND FORGET THIS WISH LIST STUFF ABOUT WHAT HORNETS, MAGIC WANT: Intentions of CP3, Dwight will govern who gives and gets what Twitter

Los Angeles Clippers, Orlando Magic, Trade, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard | share
Jarrod Rudolph: Sources have told me that Chris Paul and Dell Demps had a rocky conversation today. Move expected soon, very soon. Twitter

Steve Kyler: Sources close to Hornets - Hornets will move Chris Paul "no more games, time to move one... did our best to keep him." -- GSW top the list Twitter

3 more days to Free agency... this will be interesting

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:32 pm
Adrian Wojnarowski: Paul has indicated Clippers and Warriors could raise chances of keeping him long-term if they sign center Tyson Chandler too, sources say. Twitter

- Trade: Curry, Lee, Klay for Paul...
- Waive: Beans
- Sign: Chandler

could happen

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:48 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Adrian Wojnarowski: Paul has indicated Clippers and Warriors could raise chances of keeping him long-term if they sign center Tyson Chandler too, sources say. Twitter

could happen

Man, that would be perfect! Don't lift my hopes like that, damn. :)

Though, I don't know if Hornets would want Lee. I was of impression that they are interested in dealing Paul for just Curry and Thompson. If they would take Lee, would we have enough cap to go for David West as well. That would be one more piece that would make Paul sign long term with us. :-k
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:08 pm
How is this board so dead with talks of us getting a top 10 NBA player. When we almost got Amare it was like a 45 page thread in 3 days. I mean this is Chris Paul. Migya would have a heart attack.

If we were able to land Paul and Chandler and ruin the Laker's plans and all this stuff about how their fans think they are guaranteed to get Howard (trust me I'm in LA and they all think it is certainty) I might hav to get a smile tattooed on my face
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:23 pm
Guy wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Adrian Wojnarowski: Paul has indicated Clippers and Warriors could raise chances of keeping him long-term if they sign center Tyson Chandler too, sources say. Twitter

could happen

Man, that would be perfect! Don't lift my hopes like that, damn. :)

Though, I don't know if Hornets would want Lee. I was of impression that they are interested in dealing Paul for just Curry and Thompson. If they would take Lee, would we have enough cap to go for David West as well. That would be one more piece that would make Paul sign long term with us. :-k

In order for a trade to work they would need to take Lee or beans. Paul is due $16 million this year. Ok so they absolutely don't want Lee....

We have $6 million in cap space. Amnesty Bell, brings us to $10. Trade Udoh to team with cap space in return for cash or future pick. Gives us $13.5 million to offer Chandler. Now you can trade Curry, Beans, Klay for Paul. Throw in the pick we got and next years second round draft pick from NJ.... Doubt they get better offer from clippers. They could keep beans, waive him, trade him. He still has some value.

The possibility to make it work is there, just s gamble from front office.

The more I think about it, I would do the first part if we could get Chandler for $13.5 even if we don't end up trading for Paul. It all depends if $13.5 is something he would accept. The more I think about it, we are going to have to over pay for any starting center at some point. At least Chandler has been proven, he is 29, and has a bond with Curry already.

Next

Return to Warriors Basketball