Raider Nation Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:52 am
@Boller - Regardless of how he plays week 7, Raider will look to add another QB (eventual starter) - this guy is a solid backup, but will never be anything more.

@Palmer - I highly doubt that Mike Brown will cave, who is now, after the passing of Al Davis, the most stubborn owner in the league. If Brown does, we have to consider whether or not Carson will agree to play for the Raiders with their history of dysfunction - I'm not trying to take a shot here and I personally believe that the Raiders are on the right track. Lastly, Raiders fans must understand that Brown will likely be asking waaaaaaay too much for an older QB.

@Garrard - This is the best option and too me, the most realistic. I think Garrard is a good fit - seems like he could be a better fit than Campbell in a run-first offense by limiting mistakes and facilitating an excellent running attack, which is what he did in Jacksonville.

@Orton - I believe he is the best QB mentioned, but much like Palmer, the Broncos are probably asking too much for him. I doubt that the Broncos care much about if it's a divisional team they deal him to, they aren't competitive and likely wont be for years to come and that didn't stop the Eagles from dealing with Washington last season. Orton is not only the best backup QB, he is one of the few backups that is better than the starter.

@Farve - no way, bad idea for everyone involved. Farve is done.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:00 am
PAWNO wrote:JREED ... it's all on Alex!!! I think he is still in prime position to win our end of week 17 to superbowl sigbet.

ALEXSMITH PRO: Schedule & Alex Smith growing in Harbaugh system
ALEXSMITH CON: Weather going into end of schedule

OK then, we'll see if Alex can maintain:

Alex: 95.2
Campbell: 84.2

PAWNO wrote:MR CRACKERZ!!! I like your list BUT... Kyle Orton, no thanks. He would be a trojan horse (bronco reference) most important position on a team and we would trust someone who just played for our rival & his arm doesn't fit our system... No Thanks. (kyle would be playing for a contract.. but still i dont like it)
You can't honestly believe that a traded player in the NFL would intentionally sabotage his team - seriously, dude this is an irrelevant point rivals in pro sports isn't that big of a deal anymore.

I don't know where you get that Orton doesn't have a big arm - he finished with the same or higher average than Campbell did in each of the last 3 seasons. He is the best QB on that list.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:49 am
Sounds like Palmer is probably going to the Raiders
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:57 am
high price to pay...

BUT

It's win now!!! I like our chances of making the playoffs all of a sudden.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:57 am
I agree, but I thought that you guys were a playoff team with Campbell and a potential contender now with Palmer - we'll see how well he can get back in the groove.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:17 am
Well, Raiders got who I believed was there first choice out there... paid a price for it... But this team had to. Making a move like this does 3 thinks:

1. Bring Carson Palmer (obviously). He will be out QB for a short while, a few years I predict... maybe until pryor is groomed (unless he truly sucks).

2. It sends a message to the team that the Raider's Organization (especially Hue Jackson, who is apparently calling the shots) is serious for contending for a title this year. Confidence booster

3. It sends a message to the other 31 teams that the raiders are in it to win it this year. No more mediocrity. Raiders are in to win.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:18 am
It is win now or never for the Raiders, because you guys have hardly any draft picks in 2012, you will get some compensatory picks for the players you lost in FA, but the future is not bright in oakland.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:48 pm
JREED wrote:It is win now or never for the Raiders, because you guys have hardly any draft picks in 2012, you will get some compensatory picks for the players you lost in FA, but the future is not bright in oakland.

How can you say that? Skilled positions on Offense.

1. Veteran Franchise Quarterback (he's not top 5... but his in the top 10 discussion)
2. Young Wide Receiverrs
3. The best runningback in the game (with arguably the best back)

Raiders have always had a good Defense... We should be solid there.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:41 pm
Yeah, the Raiders have some solid young talent, but what happens when they need to resign those players? Raiders are basically the poorest team in the league (bottom 3) and no team is able to retain all of their young talent due to free agency. That is why those draft picks are so important, team use them to not only take players with a lot of upside, but to get guys to fill voids created by higher-priced, departing vets. This league build through the draft, it is far more important than FA and trades.

You guys might be set for a few seasons and it might take a while for the painful impact of not having these picks sets in, but you know it will.

Carson isn't even in the top 15 discussion - could he be? no doubt, he could return to form from 3-5 seasons ago and be a top 5, but he'll need to prove himself all over. Is a gamble and I'd call it a success if he took you guys to one AFC championship game, because that's something so few teams are able to do. But right now, on paper, the Raiders got raped in this deal, especially when you consider what other guys like Kolb went for.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:25 pm
JREED wrote:Yeah, the Raiders have some solid young talent, but what happens when they need to resign those players? Raiders are basically the poorest team in the league (bottom 3) and no team is able to retain all of their young talent due to free agency. That is why those draft picks are so important, team use them to not only take players with a lot of upside, but to get guys to fill voids created by higher-priced, departing vets. This league build through the draft, it is far more important than FA and trades.

You guys might be set for a few seasons and it might take a while for the painful impact of not having these picks sets in, but you know it will.

Carson isn't even in the top 15 discussion - could he be? no doubt, he could return to form from 3-5 seasons ago and be a top 5, but he'll need to prove himself all over. Is a gamble and I'd call it a success if he took you guys to one AFC championship game, because that's something so few teams are able to do. But right now, on paper, the Raiders got raped in this deal, especially when you consider what other guys like Kolb went for.

Im not worried about the ability to resign guys in free agency... Raiders have made their 2 most recent recruits renegotiate their deals (Curry and Palmer) they're on way cheaper deals. I think Al Davis overpaid a lot of players because he was the players owner AND HE COULD (REVENUE SHARING = PROFIT LOSING) . Trask & Mark Davis will be more frugile.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:30 pm
JREED, we got most our main young guys locked up for a few more seasons.... our top lineman are young and locked up, we got tons of young WR's... we'll be fine. Sacraficing one season worth of picks for all these acquisitions are worth it for our unique case.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:46 pm
It's the sustainability and replenishment that those pick represent to a NFL roster that you guys are failing to realize. The NFL is a revolving door of players and coaches and the draft is by far the most important aspect of roster management - of which you guys are basically screwed and the impact of this will be felt well over 5 years from now. Of those young players you got "locked up" the odds are that in the next 3 seasons at least 1 will sustain a career ending injury, another will exercise and option to opt out and one might even holdout.

But I don't disagree with the move - it's a win now league. We are seeing plenty of teams that are knowingly making major sacrifices in their future for success today. You gotta get it when you think you can.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:33 am
WOW JREED..

We can never have it both ways with you..You've preached that Al Davis fails on 1st round picks (DHB, JAMARCUS, ETC) and then you say these picks are valuable to us now. :-P

I hope our new GM continues on the raider tradition of speed and strength over football instinct.. as much as we fail on picking busts.. we do get some late round steals who are just freak athletes!!! you can draft athletes with the important tangible of work harders and you will see rewards. (DHB in year 3 is major improvement compared to Jamarcus who had no desire)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:56 am
PAWNO wrote:WOW JREED..

We can never have it both ways with you..You've preached that Al Davis fails on 1st round picks (DHB, JAMARCUS, ETC) and then you say these picks are valuable to us now. :-P
lol, good point - but it's not like all of your picks have been bad (McClain) and DHB looks like he finally learned how to play WR. And just because Davis reached way to high for a lot of those picks, doesn't mean that they would be decent contributors at some point - it's just that in the 1st and 2nd rounds you shouldn't be drafting a project unless it's a QB, that player needs to come in a contribute.

PAWNO wrote:I hope our new GM continues on the raider tradition of speed and strength over football instinct.. as much as we fail on picking busts.. we do get some late round steals who are just freak athletes!!! you can draft athletes with the important tangible of work harders and you will see rewards. (DHB in year 3 is major improvement compared to Jamarcus who had no desire)

Whoever comes in will not draft and build like Davis, they will be a more conventional GM and that's a good thing.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:08 pm
Got to give Raiders some love with a great win over SD thursday. No McFadden, no problem.

So, after 2 games... .and a half. What do you think of Palmer? Has he made you forget about Jason Campbell yet?

I am confident they can get back on track and clinch their division... but come on! What's up with those penalties! Talk about beating yourself.... :banghead:
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board