San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:05 am
Holy crap what a win yesterday. Stunning. Haven't been to a game that fun since the Mariucci days. We are for real!!!!!!!!!!
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:12 am
PAWNO wrote:Hey guys.. Good win today. Some might say the eagles win was a statement game.. But i think the Ninrts smashing The BUCS was a statement (coz there was no flying under The Bucs radar.. U have arrived)

I know there's seperate discussion going on in the raiders thread about Al Davis.. But i need to post it here for some background checking... So i was reading an article on Forbes online about how Al Davis bought a stake in the raiders in the 60's for a mere 20k.. Due to the appreciation of the investment, Al's wife Carol & son Mark might be on the hook for a 100 million dollar bill for estate tax. Forbes speculated that they wont have that kind of coin & might be forrced to sel in tthe next 12 months. Forbes said if the Davis dont sell to Los Angeles suitors that a potential Bay Area investor who's been snooping around lately is Eddie DeBartlo hope thats the spelling.

How was Eddie as a owner? obviously he controlled the Niners during the glory years.. But was he a good owner? I think its a longshot it happens (I believe the raiders will move to Los Angeles) but whats this Eddie character do to these days? (hopefully he is a billionaire like that Oracle fella)

It would be appropriate if Eddie D succeeded the late Davis, after Al he was considered one of the most loved owners by his players. However, I'm not convinced that this is a probability, considering his legal issues that he experienced that I believe forced him to hand the team over to his sister - I don't really know what went down with all of that, someone else could probably offer some more accurate details.

@The win - This wasn't just a dominate performance, it was total demoralization of a good team - it's difficult for any team to re-establish confidence after a loss like this, let alone a very young team like the Bucs. This could have killed their season. I'm still in shock... Our oline and secondary were our 2 worst units coming into the game and they were our best throughout 4 quarters. I hope Alex can really thrive off this confidence and not have it rattled if he has a poor string of plays, but I think Harbaugh has a lot to do with that.

Loosing Morgan is a huge blow not only as a loss of a good player and weapon (currently our best WR), but as a morale killer because he is leader and close with a lot of guys on the team. I'm not going to fault Harbaugh for trying to score with the big lead, but it just sucks that we loose such an important player on a meaningless play. If you ask Morgan if he'd do it again, he'd say yeah. Now we only have 3 active WRs and our depth chart is going to look like:

1- Crabs
2- Ted Ginn
3- Kyle Williams

Edwards wont be back until at least the 30th. We'll probably call up Dominique Zeigler and Lance Long and Kevin Jurovich are possibilities, but we need another veteran WR pretty bad. I know TO and Moss's names will be mentioned, I doubt we go after either, but personally I rather go after Owens as Moss is the locker room killer that everyone thinks TO is. TO probably wont be ready to play for another few weeks (according to him), so that doesn't really help us much.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:42 pm
JReed you are dead on. I think they bring back Ziegler always liked that guys. No way on T.O. or Moss, chemistry is at an all-time high right now and I don't want to mess with it.

Also forgot to mention in the last post about Eddie D, that Al Davis was the one that brokered the deal for Eddie to buy the 49ers in the 70's.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:48 pm
TJ has been working out for the 9ers today, I'm not sure how I feel about him - the guy has been a complete disappointment since leaving cincy, but the potential upside is intriguing. He might be a decent fit as a complementary WR - we don't throw the ball much and when we do, Alex spreads it around pretty good. All we'd be asking of him is to run decent routes to free up other WRs, block (big one) and catch 2-4 balls a game when his number is called. With all of that said, I kind of wish that TO wasn't injured still and currently going through the whole over-dose thing (again), because if he keeps his mouth shut (like he has), he could be a good fit.

I think if Crabs can stay healthy this Sunday, he'll have a breakout game - I see a lot of quick slants (West-coast style!) and VD breaking up double teams with streaks right at safties. The most important things are for Alex to get the ball out quickly and try to wear them down with the running game. If we don't keep our D off the field it will be an ugly game for us.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:07 pm
Along with Housh, 49ers had Brian Finneran, Chris Chambers, our two players from practice squad (John Matthews and Joe Hastings) and also the guy who we signed in the end, Brett Swain. I remember the kid playing for the Packers last year, where he got a ring. He was excelling in ST, and I guess that's why he also was more attractive to our coaching staff, along with him having some experience with West Coast offense. He had some 70+ yards receiving last season as well, and was cut late in the August.

According to Packers' pro day, he was the fastest WR on their team.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:44 am
ALEX is the ESPN's player of the week!?!? - http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/ne ... layer-week
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:21 pm
Thank you 9ers for making Sundays enjoyable again. We are legit now, our defense might be the best in the league - second only to the Ravens.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:37 pm
This is fun!!!! After eight years of crap I forgot how much I love this game when the Niners are playing well. Another amazing win.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:03 am
Got my tickets for the Cards game in November right on the 50 - east side of the stick! Section 31 (I think) Row 18, it's on! Anyone else going?
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:01 pm
I like the coaches interview afterwards... "it's on me, totally my fault. I shook his hand too hard" THat had me cracking up!
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:51 am
Yeah Harbaugh has been entertaining in his pressers - even Mike Greenberg said that he is his favorite listen in the league right now.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:42 pm
JREED wrote:Got my tickets for the Cards game in November right on the 50 - east side of the stick! Section 31 (I think) Row 18, it's on! Anyone else going?

I'll probably be there. We are in Section 12 of the upper deck, pretty much directly across from you.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:49 pm
cool, maybe we can grab a beer before or after - if I'm not in too much of a rush - I'm not sure if I can get Saturday or Monday off so I'll have to cram 500+ miles of driving and a football game into one day, sucks but I've had to do it before.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:50 am
Good week for the 9ers, don't play a game and take a 3 game lead in the division... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:04 pm
Ok I am not very knowledgable about Football, but since the lockout has left me with jonesin' for some sports, I have watched every single Niners and Raiders game so far. I like both teams, but wow, the Niner's had a hell of a game yesterday! So much for all that smack about A. Smith.

So the question is, do how well does Smith have to perform for the Niners to bring him back? Colin Kup... what ever his name is, looked good for the 3 throws he got in so far this season, and most believe that sooner or later he will take the starting QB spot. So do they go with the rookie next year and use their cap space to get some vet WR? We have 3 WR free agents next year: Ginn, Morgan, Edwards, (4 if you count Swain). Only Kyle Williams and Crabtrree will be under contract. We have RB locked up with Gore, Hunter and Dixon and TE locked up with Davis, and Walker.

On Defense we will need to replace or resign Goldstein, Rodgers, Snyder, Staley, Spillman... other then that our best players are under contract next year.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board