Official - Welcome Mark Jackson Thread... I guess..?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:16 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Bottom line. Ellis DID ... repeat DID help us win games. Yes, he is not good enough to carry us to playoffs like Durant did. But Durants team sucked ass for the first 3 seasons. It wasn't until they committed to defense did they make the playoffs. We had way better records then them 3 years in a row.

Same can happen to us if we get a better commitment to defense.

We had double their win total, and the only position where we were clearly better was at SG....
If you follow this logic, then you can saw Ellis helped us win roughly 18 games.
No player no matter how good they are can carry a team if the team doesn't play defense.
When Thunder didn't make it to playoffs first couple of years, did they say, hey lets trade durant?
Following that logic then should the wolves trade Love if they don't make it to the playoffs in 2 years?

I don't think so.

Again, Ellis very much did help us win games. Compare us to the Timberwolves, without Monta we would have been on par with them or worse.

-- Warriors ----- Wolves --- Notes
PG Curry ....> .. Luke ....... Curry has more potential, Luke has more experience. Neither good defender. Curry is wayyy better. Luke is hardly even an offensive threat.
SG Ellis ......> .. Johnson .. Ellis way better. Johnson is bigger.
SF Wright ..< .. Beasly ..... Beasly is better all around. Wright probably a better shooter.
PF Lee .......< .. Love ....... Lee was good, but Love was a beast this past season Love is better, but the difference in production is not hugeC. Beans ....= .. Darko ..... Both sucked hard. Darko had his moments, Beans his, but both inconsistent
Bench ........= .. Bench ..... Williams and Udoh was our key guy, They have Webster and Randolph

these > and <'s don't say a whole lot because you're not measuring the difference, just who "wins" the matchup. the difference between Ellis and Johnson is huge. the difference between Curry and Ridnour is huge. put our backcourt on the Twolves and they're a much better team. and even though Love wins the matchup, it's not a huge difference. Warriors talent all added up > Twolves.
might have to check NBA2k11 for the ratings haha.

not a whole lot of ppl are saying trade Monta for Johnson or some other unproven player. only for someone around his level. the question is -- is Curry / Iggy > Curry / Ellis as far as wins. I think so.

----

as far as the Mark Jackson hiring, I kinda had mixed reactions at first. of course it's gonna be a wait and see kinda thing. but W's coulda done worse. no exp. is a concern but at least they have a very strong assistant coach as a fall back guy. I don't think that will be needed though, we'll see. thing I like about M-Jax is he seems to have connections around the league, might land us some FA's. and he seems like a leader and strong presence the W's could use. he also was that type of player similar to a Jason Kidd, John Stockton, Larry Bird...not terribly athletic, but their level of basketball IQ and understanding all facets of the game = off the charts. guys like that really are like coaches on the floor. can't wait for offseason & draft to start, see what happens.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:47 am
One question keeps popping on my head. Why not hiring Shaw and Malone. Shaw bringing some of the triangular offense and Malone bringing some defense, and make head coach the stronger personality from the two and the other assistant?????????????

P.S. I hate big mouth's giving big promises. Do you job and if successful we will all rout for you. I want action's not talk.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:41 am
Any know anything about Pete Myers?

Rumor is he is joining the coaching staff. Coming over from Chicago.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/24/11/Warriors-expected-to-name-Pete-Myers-ass/landing_steinmetz_v3.html?blockID=537293&feedID=5986
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:48 am
Welcome him with open arms
Last edited by Slammin40oz on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:50 am
I think the Official - Welcome Mark Jackson Thread... I guess..? Part of this thread title should be removed, pronto. Dont make it an "official" thread if you arent buying into it..
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 am
It looks like we will soon be welcoming aboard Wes Unseld Jr. as an assistant coach:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... _blog.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxRaMyJ5jHw
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:56 am
Via league sources, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports tweeted Tuesday that Golden State has also hired Darren Erman as an assistant. Erman spent four years on the Celtics' coaching staff.

---

According to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports, "longtime Wizards assistant Wes Unseld, Jr. spurns Lakers to take a similar position with the Warriors, source tells Yahoo! Sports."

With Mark Jackson entering his first year of head coaching on the other side of the lockout, Unseld's experience could be of service on Golden State's bench next season.

-- Ryan Corazza

really happy with the front office... looks like we're surrounding mark jackson with the best available help.... all we need him to do is to convince the team to hop on the defense wagon
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:22 am
8th ave wrote:
Via league sources, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports tweeted Tuesday that Golden State has also hired Darren Erman as an assistant. Erman spent four years on the Celtics' coaching staff.

---

According to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports, "longtime Wizards assistant Wes Unseld, Jr. spurns Lakers to take a similar position with the Warriors, source tells Yahoo! Sports."

With Mark Jackson entering his first year of head coaching on the other side of the lockout, Unseld's experience could be of service on Golden State's bench next season.

-- Ryan Corazza

really happy with the front office... looks like we're surrounding mark jackson with the best available help.... all we need him to do is to convince the team to hop on the defense wagon

Agreed!

When strong ownership (Lacob and Guber) brings in good front office people (West, Myers); the front office hires a good coaching staff (Mark Jackson and Co) and drafts intelligently, then the team has a chance to compete. Compare the good that we are currently seeing and experiencing with this ownership group/front office to the Cohan/Rowell/Mullin/Riley fiasco...we Warrior fans now have a chance to follow and root for a franchise that is on an upswing.

I would just like to see Riley to join the Cohan/Rowell/Mullin loser ash heap so that we have a clean break from the past.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:13 pm
I'd rather have Jackson than some re-tread failure coach. Think big, act bold, go Warriors!

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:18 pm
GoldWagon wrote:I'd rather have Jackson than some re-tread failure coach. Think big, act bold, go Warriors!

yeah, i think you got a good point there... oh and welcome to the forum GoldWagon! :D
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:12 pm
Since this has become the FO thread, I thought I would put it here:

"Welts ready to help lead Warriors back to winning"

Welts is going to replace Rowell as team president. I think this is a great hire!
If Pheonix's track record of 50+ wins over the past few years are in part due to his work, then we will be in good shape. I actually don't know how much of the Basketball operations he will be involved with, if any, but at least we have someone with a good track record. All the media talk good about him too, and it is not like he got canned by the Suns, he left for "personal" reasons.

All in all, the FO is finally looking good. I wonder if there is a break down of all the new parts and pieces that were replaced this summer. It would be interesting to look at the whole picture.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:46 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Since this has become the FO thread, I thought I would put it here:

Welts is going to replace Rowell as team president. I think this is a great hire!
If Pheonix's track record of 50+ wins over the past few years are in part due to his work, then we will be in good shape. I actually don't know how much of the Basketball operations he will be involved with, if any, but at least we have someone with a good track record. All the media talk good about him too, and it is not like he got canned by the Suns, he left for "personal" reasons.

All in all, the FO is finally looking good. I wonder if there is a break down of all the new parts and pieces that were replaced this summer. It would be interesting to look at the whole picture.

Should be a great hire. Guy has lots of important connections including probably the most important of all: he was one of Stern's right hand men for like 17 years. And they are still very good friends. Maybe now, Stern won't hate us so much and we'll see an all-star from GSW. The following is a nice article on the hire and also has some good news regarding Curry and Klay:
http://nbaconfidential.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/warriors-extra-on-welts-and-why-it-matters-that-hes-gay-curry-and-thompson-updates/

Guy was also in charge of All-star weekend. Maybe in a few years we can even host one. Something that would never happen with Cohen
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:19 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Since this has become the FO thread, I thought I would put it here:

Should be a great hire. Guy has lots of important connections including probably the most important of all: he was one of Stern's right hand men for like 17 years. And they are still very good friends. Maybe now, Stern won't hate us so much and we'll see an all-star from GSW. The following is a nice article on the hire and also has some good news regarding Curry and Klay:
http://nbaconfidential.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/warriors-extra-on-welts-and-why-it-matters-that-hes-gay-curry-and-thompson-updates/

Guy was also in charge of All-star weekend. Maybe in a few years we can even host one. Something that would never happen with Cohen

I certainly hope not.

All Star weekend in Oakland California!!!

I don't see that drawing much of a crowd.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:27 pm
Beast Mode wrote:
Dr. Spaceman wrote:

I certainly hope not.

All Star weekend in Oakland California!!!

I don't see that drawing much of a crowd.

Yeah was thinking that too. Probably will be in 5 or so years when a new arena in SF is opened. That would be sweet.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:03 am
I hope they build the stadium in SF - that would be awesome. I got love for Oakland, but it's just a matter of time before they don't have any pro teams and I don't want the dubs to be the last ones out of town.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball