San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:57 pm
Agreed, this team looks a little better than last year, I am hoping they will improve as the season progresses and they start to gel more. The lockout really hurt them as far as preparation goes.

Secondary was awful yesterday. I am hoping the return of Goldson, Spencer, and a healther Reggie Smith will help there. There were three just awful plays yesterday, two leading to TD's and the other the long play in OT that setup the game-winning FG. Ahmad Brooks lining up in the neutral zone also cost us 7 points and turned the tide a bit. He doesn't do that, and we're going to half up 14-0 at worst, and it's a different ball game.

I can't fault Harbaugh for taking the FG. I could go either way on it, it depends on the score, time left, yard line, and also how the offense is going. Last week we were at the 3 when it happened, and it was an easy decision to take the points off the board. This week, we would have been at the 22. The offensive line had gone to hell at that point, we couldn't run the ball and Alex had no time to throw. Another sack (there were six yesterday) and all of a sudden Akers is trying a 50-yarder again. If it was a 3-point game, I would say go for it, but it was a 7-point game, and I can understand taking the FG to go up by two scores. You should win up by 10 with 10 minutes to go, but the defense let them down. Most of the same people bitching and moaning today would have been going nuts if we took the penalty, and there was a sack or turnover and we ended up getting zero. Maybe eight weeks from now, when the offense has some chemistry and can take more chances you do take the penalty.

With the excpetion of the one pick, Alex played very well yesterday. The one play JReed mentioned above doesn't show in the stats, but taking the bad snap and turning it into a PI was huge. Last year, he would have thrown that way. The biggest thing that used to drive me nuts about Alex was how he would roll out and just throw it away every time. Starting to think Singletary forced him to do that, because this year he has made several plays out of the pocket (the PI yesterday, and the two plays to Vernon the week before come to mind) that wouldn't have happened last year.

Tough loss, still stings, but I think it's something to build from. First road game next week, will be a challenge. Need to win this game, because the next three after that will be tough (@Philly, TB, @ Det.) A loss Sunday, and you're looking at 2-4 at best, or possibly 1-5. If they can tread water at 3-3, or 4-4, I think they will be in good shape down the stretch. If they stay healthy, the team will just get better with more experience.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:37 pm
That off sides call was bullsh*t, even the commentator (Brian Billick I think) drew a line down the LOS and disagreed with the call - we got screwed big time on that call. It would have been a W had they not blown that one.

The 9ers do have a rough road ahead, I guess the only silver lining there is so do the other NFC West teams. Cards do look better but I think they lack the play makers on D and other than the Kolb-Fitz connection and a respectable run game, they don't have anything to hang their hats on.

Rams got off to a bad start, we'll see what they can do tonight. Pawno's right about the Seahaggs - they look like they are the front runners for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:43 am
They were showing the Rams schedule during the game last night, they could easily be 2-5 after seven if not worse.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:27 am
Yeah the Rams secondary looks bad and they need a WR or 3...
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:21 pm
Braylon Edwards just had knee surgery... EEEIK. Wonder whether his worth keeping on one of these fantasy teams I got him on.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:21 pm
I can't believe we won this game - my gut was in knots the entire 2nd half after our 2nd TD. If someone would have said something stupid at half time or just after when they scored another FG, like "it's not over yet." I would have slapped them and told them to STFU - I don't wanna hear that crap. Wow...
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:51 pm
I was hoping for something, I knew we can't be that bad and not execute on offense at all. I was hoping we would have a close game at least. And we did in the end, though, I didn't want to lift my hopes up by thinking of winning, but boy, I sure did want that win. And in the end, it felt so good...especially after some Eagles fans I know said that 49ers are one class below them at least.

Really felt good to have a close win finally, not to be on the receiving end of it. And after a big comeback none the less! It was almost like making love to a beautiful girl. :)
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:36 pm
Guybrush wrote:I was hoping for something, I knew we can't be that bad and not execute on offense at all. I was hoping we would have a close game at least. And we did in the end, though, I didn't want to lift my hopes up by thinking of winning, but boy, I sure did want that win. And in the end, it felt so good...especially after some Eagles fans I know said that 49ers are one class below them at least.

Really felt good to have a close win finally, not to be on the receiving end of it. And after a big comeback none the less! It was almost like making love to a beautiful girl. :)

haha.... yeah it was a lucky win...
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:09 am
9ers got a difficult game coming up against the Bucs - but we've got some things going in our favor:

-Home game!
-Bucs have short week
-Bucs are traveling across the country
-Our Secondary looks improved and we should get Donte Whitner back
-Nobody has been able to run the ball on us
-Bucs' D look vulnerable - we need to go deep early and often
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:39 pm
JREED wrote:9ers got a difficult game coming up against the Bucs - but we've got some things going in our favor:

-Home game!
-Bucs have short week
-Bucs are traveling across the country
-Our Secondary looks improved and we should get Donte Whitner back
-Nobody has been able to run the ball on us
-Bucs' D look vulnerable - we need to go deep early and often

Plus a very good second half vs Philli hopefully means a more confident and capable Alex Smith and Offense.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:41 pm
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIINEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRSSS!!!!!
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:07 pm
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nough said. =D> What a game, finally we kicked some serious butt. :)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:09 pm
Total domination all phases of the game!!!
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:25 pm
Hey guys.. Good win today. Some might say the eagles win was a statement game.. But i think the Ninrts smashing The BUCS was a statement (coz there was no flying under The Bucs radar.. U have arrived)

I know there's seperate discussion going on in the raiders thread about Al Davis.. But i need to post it here for some background checking... So i was reading an article on Forbes online about how Al Davis bought a stake in the raiders in the 60's for a mere 20k.. Due to the appreciation of the investment, Al's wife Carol & son Mark might be on the hook for a 100 million dollar bill for estate tax. Forbes speculated that they wont have that kind of coin & might be forrced to sel in tthe next 12 months. Forbes said if the Davis dont sell to Los Angeles suitors that a potential Bay Area investor who's been snooping around lately is Eddie DeBartlo hope thats the spelling.

How was Eddie as a owner? obviously he controlled the Niners during the glory years.. But was he a good owner? I think its a longshot it happens (I believe the raiders will move to Los Angeles) but whats this Eddie character do to these days? (hopefully he is a billionaire like that Oracle fella)
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:04 am
1. Eddie was an awesome owner.
2. I don't think the Davis family will have to sell. Al had a clear plan late in his life to make sure his family was able to keep control of the team after he was gone. Long story, but I actually know some of the former minority owners of the team and Al definitely had an "exit strategy." They may have to divest some, but I can't see them having to sell the whole team.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board