TV Shows

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:37 am
I'm a massive Sci-Fi fan, but I'm not a fan of the same old rehashed plot lines, a long drawn out show that didn't have to be nearly as long, and hated characters. Lost was good for the first season or so but when they just kept reaching into the same bag of tricks, over and over, it got old and became a labor to just see it through to the end. The ending was a complete cop out and was evidence that the creators of the show had no idea what direction they were going with the show from the the start - that's not opinion, but fact the shows creator has said that he pretty much played everything by ear and had no defined middle or end.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:06 am
Maybe we should rename this thread to TV shows or something...I mean, we stopped talking about Walking Dead quite some time ago, and I'm about to start typing about another show. :)

I got yesterday the first season of The Wire. I'm planning to start watching it sometime soon, cause I've heard it's one of the best shows...even ever. It's a bit older show, though, but still, I haven't watched it before and I'm willing to give it a shot, but I got annoyed a little bit with that theme after all those CSI shows. But still, when I was a kid I loved watching Homicide: Life on the street, and The Wire is also the work from the same guy who did Homicide. Also, both shows are in Baltimore. So, I'll just give it a chance because of the show I loved as a kid, and some good words I heard from people about it.
Have any of you guys watched it, and what do you think of it, if you did?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:46 pm
You will not be disappointed, well you might... because the wire will ruin TV for you forever! lol, it's an amazing show with excellent writing/acting/direction - the thing that most people have said they love about the show (which I agree) is how they show you how certain characters came to be through other characters. It shows the drug culture from all angles - dealers, smugglers, cops, politicians and the media (news papers). Many of the characters are based on real people and some are even played by themselves (Snoop).

Easily the best show to ever be on TV. the only advice I have for you - don't get discouraged by season 2, because it is a departure from the rest of the series, everything pays off in the end.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:04 pm
Thanks, mate. I might starting watching it tonight, I just needed one more good review from a person in who's taste I believe. :)
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:22 am
Guybrush wrote:Thanks, mate. I might starting watching it tonight, I just needed one more good review from a person in who's taste I believe. :)

I stand by the Wire..

One of those shows which once i had the 1st season in my hands watched it back to back to back... Couldn't be bothered waiting for it to download (couple of gigs)

Hope in my car and picked up the remaining 3 seasons from my local DVD/CD shop.... (a 5th seasonn hit dvd and I got that the day it was released)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:26 pm
Yeah my and my girl are both in the club of people that sat and watched an entire season in one day

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:53 am
Does anyone else miss LOST? I know Pawno watched the show as well, but I really do miss that show.... and 24. Even though that show was often ridiculous, i watched it for the adventure and not necessarily for the writing.

Other TV thoughts:

There is no good Action/Adventure show on TV that I have been able to cling on. I watch Mad Men (but that's a drama). I Watch the American Version of the Office + Parks and Rec... but those are comedies. I need a smart, good action/adventure show I can follow this year.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:01 pm
JREED wrote:Yeah my and my girl are both in the club of people that sat and watched an entire season in one day

I got hooked up on the Wire right away! Great show so far, though, I'm taking my time with it, I still do have exams coming up. :)

And speaking of people that watch one season in a day, I'm in the club, I watched the first season of Californication during one night.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:14 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Does anyone else miss LOST? I know Pawno watched the show as well, but I really do miss that show.... and 24. Even though that show was often ridiculous, i watched it for the adventure and not necessarily for the writing.

Other TV thoughts:

There is no good Action/Adventure show on TV that I have been able to cling on. I watch Mad Men (but that's a drama). I Watch the American Version of the Office + Parks and Rec... but those are comedies. I need a smart, good action/adventure show I can follow this year.

I hated lost, it simply represents many hour of my life I'll never get back. The main issue I had with it was the creators never had any idea where the show was going, they wrote the entire thing by the seats of their pants. A quality series for me requires a clear middle and end, not just an idea.

You should check out breaking bad if you haven't, that show makes lost look like a network series... oh wait... it was, maybe that's why lost sucked so bad.

Seriously, the networks are dying, and its their own arrogant faults. They rarely ever come up with an original or good series and when one falls in their lap, it gets canceled because they decided to throw all their advertising time and budget at CSI: Milwaukee or Law and Order: Petty Theft. Take the show, Defying Gravity - suburb show, good cast, writing, premise - the whole 9. That show was made by an independent studio and ABC bought it at the last minute, didn't promote it at all and cancelled it after about the 6th episode. I'll never forgive them for that. You guys should watch that first season though, it was a great show.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:10 am
JREED wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Does anyone else miss LOST? I know Pawno watched the show as well, but I really do miss that show.... and 24. Even though that show was often ridiculous, i watched it for the adventure and not necessarily for the writing.

Other TV thoughts:

I hated lost, it simply represents many hour of my life I'll never get back. The main issue I had with it was the creators never had any idea where the show was going, they wrote the entire thing by the seats of their pants. A quality series for me requires a clear middle and end, not just an idea.

You should check out breaking bad if you haven't, that show makes lost look like a network series... oh wait... it was, maybe that's why lost sucked so bad.

Seriously, the networks are dying, and its their own arrogant faults. They rarely ever come up with an original or good series and when one falls in their lap, it gets canceled because they decided to throw all their advertising time and budget at CSI: Milwaukee or Law and Order: Petty Theft. Take the show, Defying Gravity - suburb show, good cast, writing, premise - the whole 9. That show was made by an independent studio and ABC bought it at the last minute, didn't promote it at all and cancelled it after about the 6th episode. I'll never forgive them for that. You guys should watch that first season though, it was a great show.

I've only seen the pilot of Breaking Bad (on the AMC website), and it was great... though, I do not have cable so I haven't been able to watch any other episodes (i am too cheap to buy cable... no way i am feeding comcast 60 bucks a month, when i will be working most the time anyway).... AND it is not on Netflix, so I haven't seen it.

As for LOST, i understand Jreed. Most people feel that way. But Season's 1-2 were just so fun. It was the ultimate adventure. Seasons 3 and 6 were kind of sloppy (though the finale of season 3 was the best episode of the series). Seasons 4 and 5 were pretty decent (not amazing, but still very interesting and better than most tv shows on that time). Overall, I thought it was a successful series, that few series could compare their success to.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:22 am
You're right about about the success and season 1. The only reason I have Directv is because of sports. I either dvr or download most shows and movies.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:44 pm
JREED wrote:You're right about about the success and season 1. The only reason I have Directv is because of sports. I either dvr or download most shows and movies.

yeah, and its a sacrafice that I have given up... at least Sprint allows its customers free access to ESPN mobile so i get to watch ESPN News, baseball tonight, PTI and such.... I don't even have local channels (yikes).... but I think I am gonna sign up for at least the local channels this week, in time for football season.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:36 am
I finished the first season and started watching the second season of The Wire...and, man, that's one hell of a show, I must admit. Great story, good characters, development...just everything. Though, I kind of got bored with the start of the second season, but I will watch it, of course. After all that big stuff at the end of the first, you go slow with something that looks so unimportant compared to the Barksdale's crew.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:26 am
It will pick back up in the 2nd and return to the streets for the duration of the series.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:05 am
Walking Dead recommences in a fornights time (AMC will be wrapping up season finale of Breaking Bad next Sunday)

I'm still to watch Dexter and person of interest... but there's some good tv shows coming this FALL
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum