Raider Nation Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:43 pm
Davis was the only owner not to vote for the NFL proposal. Interesting, though not surprising.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:35 am
PAWNO wrote:Wow bro.. You obviously don't know Nnamdi then.

You're right, but neither do you. What I do know is how he has came across in about 3 different interviews that I've heard and he sounds like a guy that is ready for a big payday, to compete and to start over somewhere new. Also the fact that he had the choice to not exercise that clause in his contract, but went ahead and did it is the only evidence to indicate that he is on either side of the fence, which strongly suggests that he is not coming back. The idea that he would come back for less money is preposterous and anyway you look at it, that just doesn't make sense - why not stay and restructure if that's the case? If that was even a possibility, why did he jump the second he got a chance?

Honestly, I don't care what he does as long as he doesn't go somewhere in the NFC West. Yes, that includes the 9ers - while we need serious help at the CB position, we don't need to offer up another massive contract for a guy that's already past his peak.

@the Raiders vote in the "CBA" or whatever it was - it's a childish move, they didn't vote no because they knew it would go anywhere but they still wanted to protest. It's like a little kid complaining about how the game isn't fair because they can't win and they refuse to play. While I do see the Raider's concern because financially, they're doing pretty bad.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:18 am
JREED wrote:You're right, but neither do you. What I do know is how he has came across in about 3 different interviews that I've heard and he sounds like a guy that is ready for a big payday, to compete and to start over somewhere new. Also the fact that he had the choice to not exercise that clause in his contract, but went ahead and did it is the only evidence to indicate that he is on either side of the fence, which strongly suggests that he is not coming back. The idea that he would come back for less money is preposterous and anyway you look at it, that just doesn't make sense - why not stay and restructure if that's the case? If that was even a possibility, why did he jump the second he got a chance

I think I know my own team better then you do... Just like as if I was one of the many people who call Alex Smith a bust, a failure, a quitter (which he all is)
yet I get a sense from the reaction from my comments with the Niners fans I speak to is it's not all his fault.

& Nnamdi didn't have a choice to exercise that clause.. It was a clause that was always going to be activated by statistics & it was written in by Al Davis to prevent a under performing cornerback not registering a sack, a interception or a forced fumble... The only way Nnamdi could of exercised that clause was his performance during the season. I doubt Nnamdi would of purposefully done that where in week 15 or 16 he is going ... "hmm i want out of this situation, better quit on my teammates" (especially seen that his team was still competing for the division in week 15). that's just not his character bro. He didn't get a sack, Int or Forced Fumble due to the defensive scheme of man to man and opposing offenses shying away from that side of the field.

JREED wrote:Honestly, I don't care what he does as long as he doesn't go somewhere in the NFC West. Yes, that includes the 9ers - while we need serious help at the CB position, we don't need to offer up another massive contract for a guy that's already past his peak.

He is not going to take a step backwards and sign up for the NFC WEST... If it's not about a payday for Nnamdi then it's about competing for a title & there is no realistic contenders in that horrible division. By joining the NFC WEST it's a crapshoot on choosing the team that will win the division because every team except maybe the Cardinals has a chance to compete for that division. He'd more likely join a established contender such as NYJ or BALTIMORE.

JREED wrote:@the Raiders vote in the "CBA" or whatever it was - it's a childish move, they didn't vote no because they knew it would go anywhere but they still wanted to protest. It's like a little kid complaining about how the game isn't fair because they can't win and they refuse to play. While I do see the Raider's concern because financially, they're doing pretty bad.x

Actually by not voting it helps Al Davis prove to the players that he is a PLAYERS OWNER... While the NFLPA gets on twitter with their players and blasts the likes of York, Jerry Jones and Snyder for being greedy mofo's... It helps players be sympathetic to Al Davis team and it may even pay dividends with a sympathy free agent signing (& the vote was always going to be passed due to the urgency of the lockout.. So why not be the owner that says your disappointed with the CBA?)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:31 pm
To imply, let alone state as fact, that you really know any professional athlete that you aren't familiar with on a personal basis is ridiculous. Guys say the "right" things all the time, it doesn't mean that's how they actually feel. You do not know Nnamdi on any level and have absolutely no idea what kind of person he really is and what he wants. If he really wants to leave, what would he have to gain by declaring that? I know one thing - he'd loose a potential bidder in the Raiders. If he really wanted to remain a Raider he could have worked out a deal before the lockout even happened, he still might, but he'll want more money. I have no idea where he'll wind up but I know that you are dead wrong about him even considering less money and I doubt he'll be with the Raiders because of Al D's reluctance towards big contracts.

PAWNO wrote:I think I know my own team better then you do... Just like as if I was one of the many people who call Alex Smith a bust, a failure, a quitter (which he all is)
yet I get a sense from the reaction from my comments with the Niners fans I speak to is it's not all his fault.
I fail to see how this has anything to do with this discussion, rather it's just an "opportunity" for you to talk **** about my team.

PAWNO wrote:It was a clause that was always going to be activated by statistics & it was written in by Al Davis to prevent a under performing cornerback not registering a sack, a interception or a forced fumble...
Yet another stupid move by Al and the Raider's front office...

PAWNO wrote:He is not going to take a step backwards and sign up for the NFC WEST... If it's not about a payday for Nnamdi then it's about competing for a title & there is no realistic contenders in that horrible division. By joining the NFC WEST it's a crapshoot on choosing the team that will win the division because every team except maybe the Cardinals has a chance to compete for that division. He'd more likely join a established contender such as NYJ or BALTIMORE.
I can tell you one thing that I know for sure - players don't view the game like fans do, and that is your primary malfunction in this debate. You are projecting your own thoughts and beliefs on to the players. PLAYERS GO WHERE THE MONEY IS!!! It is only a miniscule minority of players in professional sports that exercise team loyalty over fiscal gain.

You don't think that the Raiders, Chiefs and Chargers have a chance to compete for the AFC West? Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos won that division, most divisions have 3 contenders:

AFC:
East
Patriots - Contender
Jets - Contender
Dolphins - Contender, at least they were recently.
Bills

North
Steelers - Contender
Ravens - Contender
Browns
Bengals

South
Colts - Contender
Jaguars - Contender
Titans
Texans - Contender, will probably win the division after they sign your boy

West
Chiefs - Contender
Chargers - Contender
Raiders - Contender
Broncos *Could be a contender

NFC
East
Eagles - Contender
Giants - Contender
Cowboys - Contender
Redskins

North
Bears - Contender
Packers - Contender
Lions - Contender
Vikings - Contender, maybe not without a QB

South
Falcons - Contender
Saints - Contender
Buccaneers - Contender
Panthers

West
Seahawks - Contender
Rams - Contender
49ers - Contender
Cardinals

Just because the pundits aren't in love with any team from the NFC West, doesn't mean that it is anymore of a crapshoot than the other divisions. Besides, I think you missed the part when I said I hope he doesn't come to the NFC West, because I don't wanna play against him and I don't wanna pay for him. NYJ just get brought up every time there is a big FA after the past couple of seasons and their sellout tactics to win a SB. They don't have the cap space and it'll never happen. Ravens is interesting, however I still think a team on the cusp of winning, with cap space and a need at CB like the Texans or a team in the NFC East.

PAWNO wrote:Actually by not voting it helps Al Davis prove to the players that he is a PLAYERS OWNER... While the NFLPA gets on twitter with their players and blasts the likes of York, Jerry Jones and Snyder for being greedy mofo's... It helps players be sympathetic to Al Davis team and it may even pay dividends with a sympathy free agent signing (& the vote was always going to be passed due to the urgency of the lockout.. So why not be the owner that says your disappointed with the CBA?)
GOD! You just have the uncanny ability to blindly spin everything in a positive light when it comes to your team and the exact opposite when it comes to others. *Actually* again you are implying that you know something about a public figure that others do not - you don't know why Al did this, because nobody does! However, there is a more convincing case that Al did this for other reasons than the right one:

-He has always been a "rebel" and has never cared to maintain a positive relationship with the league or the rest of the owners.
-Like above, he has always been the hermit of the NFL owners
-The CEO did state that this was due to the inability to agree on economic aspics: “We have profound philosophical differences on a number of issues — both of a football and economic nature,” - Raiders CEO Amy Trask
-He probably isn't too happy about the whole 4 year contract thing and that he is now, likely going to loose more players to free agency.
-Maybe the new deal isn't as kind or forgiving in terms of profit sharing to the less successful teams as he would like it to be...

Also, what tweets have you read or heard of with players blasting the Yorks? Or are you just saying that in general players are blasting owners, not named Al Davis, over the lockout and you chose to include the Yorks in that small sample of names to sling some more mud at my team?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:11 pm
JREED wrote:
Also, what tweets have you read or heard of with players blasting the Yorks? Or are you just saying that in general players are blasting owners, not named Al Davis, over the lockout and you chose to include the Yorks in that small sample of names to sling some more mud at my team?

Yeah... No Tweets specifically mentioning York. But i've read generalised tweets on the anger towards the owners by players. (call it a free shot by a Raider fan on your ownership)

Probably a bit rich of me stereotyping in York into the Snyder or Jerry Jones catogory.... cause those 2 dudes have been left,right & center as pillars or greediness.

As for my uncanny ability to blindly spin everything into a positive light.. I didn't write the article that I came to that conclusion... merely paraphrasing on the view of another blogger in which I kind of said "You know what, that dude sounds right"

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2011/7/21/2287852/nfl-lockout-update-why-raiders-al-davis-comes-out-the-biggest-winner
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:15 am
Hey Raiders, don't even think about moving back to town

Amid all the congratulating over the city's approval of a downtown stadium plan, there lurks a possibility Al Davis' team could land back in L.A. And no good would come of that.

Would L.A.'s football dream turn into a nightmare if the Oakland Raiders moved back to town?

Would L.A.'s football dream turn into a nightmare if the Oakland Raiders… (Matthew Emmons / U.S. Presswire)
August 09, 2011|Bill Plaschke

I hate to interrupt the ticker-tape hug between city officials and AEG in the wake of Tuesday's agreement to build a downtown football stadium and bring the NFL back to Los Angeles, but ...

There is a group out there who could ruin all of this.

There is a group who could show up at Farmers Field dressed in havoc, bearing chaos and portending dread.

They are not neighborhood protesters, they are the sort that neighborhoods protest against. They are not environmentalists or economists, but, quite the opposite, they tear up the grass and take your money.

Hey, Oakland Raiders, if you are reading this, can you heed but one word from one man who was among many who celebrated in the summer of 1995 when you finally dragged your hack-and-silver act out of town?

Don't. Don't come back. Don't even think about coming back. Don't.

You are not welcome here, you are not wanted here, and if you can't see that, then you've been wearing that patch over both eyes.

I don't care how many Southland fans fill the local airport on autumn Sunday mornings for the legendary peanut-fight-filled Southwest Airlines caravans to Oakland. I don't care that, even with silver spikes occasionally sticking out of their heads, they are mostly good folks and tenacious supporters.

When it comes to the Los Angeles sports landscape, they are in the vast minority. This may still feel like a Raiders town, but, with a gleaming new stadium and dignified new hopes, this is a town that can no longer support the Raiders.

The NFL is thrilled that Tuesday's agreement appears to pave the way for the eventual return of two teams here. The NFL is excited that the clear leading candidate for the first slot is the San Diego Chargers, a team with Los Angeles roots and a decent south Orange County and Inland Empire fan base.

But the NFL is also quietly worried that the eternal opportunists known as the Raiders are circling and swooping and waiting for a chance to dive in and make a mess of everything.

What happens if, after a year of negotiating a difficult deal that will require concessions on both sides, AEG cannot come to an agreement with the Chargers? What if nobody on the minuscule list of other possible teams — Jacksonville, St. Louis, Buffalo, Minnesota — is prepared to move that soon?

What if Tim Leiweke finds himself with the money and approval to build a stadium but nobody is available to play there? When all hope is lost, when the only other option is the destruction of a dream, when the night is blackest and the fears are greatest … it's Raiders time!

Al Davis, who never wanted to leave Los Angeles in the first place and has always envisioned a joyful return, would suddenly look like Jerry Jones. Leiweke might suddenly feel he has no choice or, worse yet, be filled with the lofty notion that he could actually rebrand the Raiders. The league could attempt to block the move, but when has anybody truly stopped the Raiders from doing anything?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:18 am
Moving back to LA would be the best thing for the Raiders and the league, but maybe not for the city of LA. Would be crazy to have two divisional rivals share a stadium, but I still think the Jags need need to relocate and they would be a good fit instead of the chargers - I just don't know what that would do to the divisional alignments. Can't really move anyone out of the AFC West because of the history of those 4 teams, could maybe shuffle someone out of the NFC West since it has been a revolving door for ever - only team untouchable in that division is the 9ers.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:23 am
4 year deal for Terrell Pryor.

I saw the dollars & considering the hype surrounding him as a Specimen!!!

If he can grasp the fundamentals at the probowl and feak the weaknesses of his at the QB position (bit of doubt) .. he might turn out to be a real steal on 500k a year a season.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:05 am
I agree Pawno... all these people making jokes about Al Davis "going for speed again" don't realize that this is a low risk high reward type player. 6'6', 240lbs who can run a 4.40 40-yard sprint.... that's got freak written all over it.... If QB doesn't work, then we will put him as WR. If not, Bulk him up 20 pounds and put him at TE.... 4 years to make this guy successful, while paying him not too much.

A great pick IMO
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:28 am
But aren't raiders without a crap load of picks for the next draft? These days a 3rd round pick is not a low risk, most 3rd rounders are expected to be solid contributors if not starters by year 2.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:55 pm
JREED wrote:But aren't raiders without a crap load of picks for the next draft? These days a 3rd round pick is not a low risk, most 3rd rounders are expected to be solid contributors if not starters by year 2.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G.

BUt we will most likely be getting 2 3rd round compensation picks anyways.... for losing Nnamni and Miller.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:39 pm
Your correct Mr Crackerz... & if Pryor doesn't work out at QB.. We have the flexibility of him being a 6foot6 speedster!!!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:53 pm
2nd half of this SAINTS game.. Taiwan Jones with some elusive running.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:37 am
SO Pryor didn't play in the Preseason FInale, so we wont be seeing him for a while... It might be a good thing that we didnt see him, as he was probably not ready (being with the team for only a week and all).

Season starts next week! :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:12 am
CONGRATS TO SEABASS!!!
HELL OF A FOOTBALL PLAY

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/13/sebastian-janikowski-ties-nfl-record-for-longest-field-goal/
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board