San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:14 pm
PAWNO wrote:
Guybrush wrote:
PAWNO wrote:Yeah Niners deserved that... it was disappointing to read the headline on espn that says Alex Smith leads Victory over Raiders' that clearly was not the case... the Matt Shaunaessy Interception wass just horrendous By Alex. I think Kaepernick is starting by week 6

That was the only mistake Alex made all night. WRs (and TEs) had 4 or more drops during the game, with those balls caught he would have looked really impressive. And I think it was a timing pass and he fired it when he should, just didn't see in time that Shaughnessy dropped back into coverage. You can't say he had a bad game, far from it.

yeah but the espn headline shouldnt have made it out he lead the victory over the raiders..

He didnt score any points on us.

I dont think he will be a improved quarterback... More that he has a better wide reciever in Edwards being a playmaker... That one handed catch he had was ssssiiiicccckkkk.

The offense looked the best while Alex was behind the center. He moved the chains, he was accurate, he willingly stayed and took some hits, because he was looking to make a good throw, knowing that he will get thrashed as soon as he slings the ball. The only reason he didn't score was a TD was that 49ers chose to run mostly. He did all that he could. Kaepernick looked a lot worse than Alex, not saying that he was bad, but he didn't move the chains nearly as well. Running game was crucial in the second half, much more than it was in the first.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:18 pm
Jim Harbaugh talked about starter and backup seperation last week... in my opinion asfter watching the game and knowing Alex history... I think Kapernick gives u a better vhance to win.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:30 pm
We shall see, can't say anything for sure about that. I just think that Smith is getting a lot of critics because he was a first overall pick. He played pretty decently two seasons in a row, with a pathetic coaches, and the worst offensive playbook I have seen. And even with that, he still had the best pass rating of all the quarterbacks in our division. And still, he's catching all the fire, while others were praised, Like Hasselbeck, for instance, who had worse season than Alex, and he is also injury prone, and yet a lot of people would want him over Alex.

I was wrong last season thinking that he will breakthrough finally, but it was not him who I fault for that, but coaches and the system. This is the year he will finally have that chance he was long due to get.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:47 pm
Jeremiah Masoli got waived...So, I guess they like Bethel-Thompson better.
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:24 pm
PAWNO wrote:Yeah Niners deserved that... it was disappointing to read the headline on espn that says Alex Smith leads Victory over Raiders' that clearly was not the case... the Matt Shaunaessy Interception wass just horrendous By Alex. I think Kaepernick is starting by week 6

You obviously didn't watch the game, even you, the worlds biggest Alex hater would admit that he looked good - no excuse for that pick though, he just didn't see him I suppose. You are hallucinating if you think Kap gives us a better chance to win. Sig bet time there Pawndog?

Take your pick:

Kap doesn't start a game over a healthy Alex Smith all year?

Alex has a better year then any Raider QB?

Seabass has a heart attack before the season is over?

Seabass wins a hotdog eating contest?

Bring it on my Aussie friend. :happy1:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:28 pm
Haha, here we go again. I think those popcorn are for us watching you two bet consistently.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:17 am
And now we've traded Mays to Bengals for an undisclosed draft pick.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:25 am
i'm not too happy with the trade, we aren't going to get anything decent back for a guy we spent a 2nd round pick on a year ago. I though he had a lot of up side, but it's obvious that the coaching staff and/or the organization just didn't want him around anymore.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:10 am
Hey Jreed.. I did watch the game (mind u it was on a small internet stream on a dodgy website.. Probably guybrush operating a vpn from his country of piracy)

the reason I didnt think Alex had a good game was because his drives were on back of solid running game.. Setup by great blocking from Iupati who was making Richard Seymour not be Richard Seymour.

Maybe the playbook was vanilla... But if the commentator says your one of the better redzone conversion quarterbacks in the league and you cvome up with naught.. Then in my view it means you didnt have a good game.

Alex Smith will be better under Harbaugh.. I just dont think it will be enough to win the division and it wont be enough to get a extension on his 1 yr contract.. Oaklands pass D is horrendous without Nnamdi... The pass D by oakland might of looked a little better had Chris Johnson been healthy... But Alex Smith exploited us by passing to the side of the young rookie.. I didnt see Alex Smith really attack Stanford Routt side (whom I believe will be the new AFC probowl cb now that Nnamdi is in the NFC)... Its still early days.

in regards to a sigbet... Hmm. I think it might be very difficult to work on something that is fair but I like the idea of passer rating.. That wont be affected by injury or someone getting benched.. We could measure Jason Campbell and alex smith pass rating after week 17 and loser has to rock a sig of choosing until the day after the superbowl.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:34 am
Guybrush wrote:Jeremiah Masoli got waived...So, I guess they like Bethel-Thompson better.

Sacramento State representing!

I saw Bethel-Thompson play in Sacramento. In the game I saw, he led Sacramento to a come from behind victory over crosstown rival U.C. Davis.

Bethel-Thomson gets hurt a lot though, so hopefully he stays healthy. He has some talent.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:39 am
Not to defend Alex, but I wouldn't knock him for the lack of red-zone production last week. I think they were in the red zone twice, and the first time they ran all three times, and the second time they ran twice, and threw one pass (or vice versa). Harbaugh is keeping everything real vanilla right now, both on offense and defense. Those drives screamed for a fade to Bralyon to finish them off and instead they just ran up the middle. I think we're going to see a lot of different stuff in a few weeks.

Kevin Lynch of SFGate was on KNBR yesterday talking about this, and he said Harbaugh is the kind of guy that at some point in his first couple of years here he is going to figure out some sort of loophole or idea that the NFL will have to make a new rule to ban. As in a trick play or something. This is not your boring Jimmy Raye/Sing offense anymore.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:56 am
If I remember correctly, I think we ran all six times when we were in the RZ during the time Alex was in the game.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:04 am
Guybrush wrote:If I remember correctly, I think we ran all six times when we were in the RZ during the time Alex was in the game.

Exactly, I actually re-watched the game the other night on NFL Network (I don't have local channels so i had to watch the game on the web - sh*t quality), and we had no interest in putting the ball in the endzone down there. We just ran the ball, so absolutely no blame can got on Alex. Alex did looks sharp, he was accurate, made good decisions (except the play when he just didn't see that DE), he avoided the pass rush exceptionally well and he stood in there and delivered the ball even though a big hit was coming. I saw Alex making multiple reads continuously and completing passes. I saw him extend plays and make quality decisions.

Alex started the game 3-6 and that was because his receivers had 3 drop passes. I'm sorry Pawno, but you obviously didn't watch the game or you need to reconsider your knowledge of the game of football if you think Alex didn't looked good. Sure you can argue that the running game helped but that's completely speculative and is an excuse to not give due credit.

Alex is already better under Harbaugh, not because of some magic coaching ability but because of the west coast offense that should fit Alex's abilities perfect. Alex doesn't have a big arm so Jimmy Raye's run-run-throw deep scheme was never going to work - god, over the last 2 seasons, I saw so many long passes on 3rd and short or 3rd and 5 that I started planning a Jimmy Raye assassination.

I think you right about us not winning the division, but it wont be because Alex, it'll be because we didn't do enough to improve our D-line and secondary. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if all these guys needed was some competent coaching and that makes the difference and we are easily a top 8 NFC team. The improvement of 1 week to the next, thus far has been encouraging, I can't wait to see what see do this Saturday against the Texans - should be a test for our secondary, lets hope Spencer and Rogers are healthy.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:44 am
Wow the O-Line was awful on Saturday. It doesn't matter who is playing QB if we can't protect them.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:16 am
It seems they show up on the field every second week...
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board