Curry and Wright to play in China?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:41 pm
http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2011/07/14/curry-wright-willing-to-play-overseas-if-necessary/

If the NBA lockout extends into next season we might still get to watch Curry and Wright play ball in china.

What do you guys think about this? Good idea? Bad Idea? Why?
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:47 pm
They'd do better if they went to Europe instead. And I believe I'm not biased when I say that. First of all, European basketball is by far better, a lot of good leagues, and you have Euroleague, where you have all the top European teams. I bet that they're tempted with more money they would probably get from Chinese teams (I guess they're willing to pay), but it's not a good league, as far as I know.

European teams are not in the rank of the NBA teams, but in some categories I think they're better. When it comes to tactics, plays and understanding of the game. I still love NBA more than euro leagues, but I do believe that now days, most NBA teams would win by sheer athletics of their players, who are a lot more athletic than in Europe. Of course, there are NBA teams which are good in other aspects as well, those are teams that know how to play defense, and have organized offensive plays. Like Spurs for instance.

So, basically, I think they could learn some good things in Europe, with good coaches, which they wouldn't do in China, at least not that fast or in that level. And that would be best for the Warriors, and us as fans. I know financially it is tempting probably more, but still...I know what I would do, but it's not me.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:54 pm
Get to see? Screw that, I don't want curry risking injury in games we wont even be able to see. I don't care about Wright, he might learn some defense... Guess it would be just as well, we (US citizens) will all be working for the Chinese pretty soon...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:06 pm
JREED wrote:Get to see? Screw that, I don't want curry risking injury in games we wont even be able to see. I don't care about Wright, he might learn some defense... Guess it would be just as well, we (US citizens) will all be working for the Chinese pretty soon...

You could be close

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:37 pm
Guybrush wrote:They'd do better if they went to Europe instead. And I believe I'm not biased when I say that. First of all, European basketball is by far better, a lot of good leagues, and you have Euroleague, where you have all the top European teams. I bet that they're tempted with more money they would probably get from Chinese teams (I guess they're willing to pay), but it's not a good league, as far as I know.

European teams are not in the rank of the NBA teams, but in some categories I think they're better. When it comes to tactics, plays and understanding of the game. I still love NBA more than euro leagues, but I do believe that now days, most NBA teams would win by sheer athletics of their players, who are a lot more athletic than in Europe. Of course, there are NBA teams which are good in other aspects as well, those are teams that know how to play defense, and have organized offensive plays. Like Spurs for instance.

So, basically, I think they could learn some good things in Europe, with good coaches, which they wouldn't do in China, at least not that fast or in that level. And that would be best for the Warriors, and us as fans. I know financially it is tempting probably more, but still...I know what I would do, but it's not me.

I think it is money driven like you said. But there is one key aspect that their agent is sellig them that you forgot... China has the largest population in the world. They money they are looking for is not in Salary, it is in merchandise, branding, endorsements.... and who are they going to vote for on All Star weekend. It won't hurt to get some of those votes, becuase being an All- Star you get paid better. Not just in salary, but in other categories as well.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 am
wouldnt hurt our all-star chances
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:00 am
Wait until one them get's a carer ending injury and then we will talk. Nba player's in the rest of the world are so valuable that they play 35+ minutes no matter what (small injuries or fatigue), that is making a serious injury a lot more probable. Have in mind that they are guarded by horrific players that in most cases hit the floor with one purpose in mind, stop them no matter how. And you get a 26 year old who works as a muscle in night clubs for a godfather to guard your star player. Not a good thought i believe.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:50 am
Yeah, I am pretty conflicted on the whole issue of players leaving overseas... I want players to do what they feel. It's not like they are on strike, the owners have locked them out.

But the whole chance of injury is scary. Must teams overseas abuse their players bodies, and I do not want to see stars from our league get hurt based on that (especially Warrior players).

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:01 pm
I doubt if the Chinese experience is fruitful as... the level there is not as high as Europe.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:14 pm
takeshi wrote:I doubt if the Chinese experience is fruitful as... the level there is not as high as Europe.

It probably isn't, however players see china as a cash haven... agents are convincing their players to play in china for the opportunity to sponsor products the world's most populous country.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:20 am
I don't wanna open a thread just for this, but, I think I haven't told you guys that Acie Law came here, to Belgrade. He signed a contract with my home team, Partizan Belgrade. lol

I mean, Partizan is not a bad team by any means. They have one European title, and played in final four two years ago, but I didn't expect any player straight from Warriors to come here. I know it's a lockout, so a lot of players go to Europe, but he signed a contract which will keep him in Europe even if the lockout ends.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:25 pm
Guybrush wrote:I don't wanna open a thread just for this, but, I think I haven't told you guys that Acie Law came here, to Belgrade. He signed a contract with my home team, Partizan Belgrade. lol

I mean, Partizan is not a bad team by any means. They have one European title, and played in final four two years ago, but I didn't expect any player straight from Warriors to come here. I know it's a lockout, so a lot of players go to Europe, but he signed a contract which will keep him in Europe even if the lockout ends.

thats because he sucks
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:42 pm
Yeah, I know...but sometimes those players that come to Europe as a rotational guys in the NBA, backups or whatever, end to be a solid player in Europe, and then return to the NBA. Though, that's on a rare occasions.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:45 pm
Looks like China won't allow NBA players to sign unless they commit to the entire season, which means only NBA Free Agents who would choose to stay are eligible. Surprising, if I was China I would take Kobe, etc. even if it was just for 1-2 months.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:45 pm
Agree, hobbes... either Stern secretly has ties to the chinese league, or they are just stubborn. I do not get the reason for not allowing lockout players.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball