Owner Joe Lacob sends a message

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2566
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:05 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Oh, I like the changes they made. I like having Jerry West, the GM they are grooming who can learn fro
West and Riley. I just wanted to point out he has been a decent GM since taking over for Mullin, and I wouldnt put him in the category of Cohan and Rowell.

This - Riley hasn't been all that bad. It's funny because everyone has hated him from the beginning and Warrior fans loved Mullin up until the day he wasn't resigned - now everyone agrees that Mullis was a horrible GM... let's hope that trend doesn't continue...
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Los Anyeles, CA
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:54 am
Riley is not terrible, but I don't think he can ever build a real contender. Mostly because he has failed to prove any real creativity. His draft picks aren't bad, and signing Dorrell for as cheap as he did was great too. But his trades have been somewhat suspicious and have failed to ever really gain us anything. Seems like every trade we make we have lost assets. The Brandan Wright for Troy Murphy trade could have been turned into a nice TPE if he was creative and then signing a C and solid wing defender would be much easier this offseason. Lee trade was pretty good considering we traded bench players for a starter.
Get Money. Get Paid.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:10 pm
JREED wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Oh, I like the changes they made. I like having Jerry West, the GM they are grooming who can learn fro
West and Riley. I just wanted to point out he has been a decent GM since taking over for Mullin, and I wouldnt put him in the category of Cohan and Rowell.

This - Riley hasn't been all that bad. It's funny because everyone has hated him from the beginning and Warrior fans loved Mullin up until the day he wasn't resigned - now everyone agrees that Mullis was a horrible GM... let's hope that trend doesn't continue...



I think Riley has been good. I didn't dislike Mullin. but there are many things that happened while he was GM, that I don't know who to blame for. Some of it has to be his fault, or if not, then why was he not able to convince others that they were a bad idea:
He was GM from April 22, 2004 to May 11, 2009:
1) Picking Ike Diagu number 9 in 2005 draft then Patrick O'Bryant 9th in 2006..
2) Not getting BD signed after two great years. Team was on the upswing and then it fell apart.
3) Dealing J. Richardson for unproven Brandon Wright... WTF ... worse trade in Warriors history.
5) Contract Extension for Stephen Jackson.... way too much and at the time unnecesarry
6) Over paying for Maggette. Maggette is a good player, but not worth that contract.
7) Turning Harrington into Crawford and Crawford into Acie Law and Speedie Claxon

now how many of these were his fault, or was just forced on to him, i don't know.
But I do know they were bad decissions that happened under his watch.

Since then Riley has done a better job, now is it becuase there wasn't much more you could do other then go up... i don't know.

Mullin did help bring us Nelie and S. Jack and Harrington which ultimate lead to our only play appearence is ages... so he did have some good decisions.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"
Image

Image : 2010 - 2011
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21375
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:38 pm
Mullin did quite well when he was here. Getting Baron was awesome, trading dun and Murph for Harrington and SJack was what made the team a playoff one. Diogu was poorly used, but was awesome in the little court time he got.

Mullin's bad moves were handing out pricey contracts to the likes of Foyle and dun
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Posts: 2804
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:40 pm
migya wrote:Mullin did quite well when he was here. Getting Baron was awesome, trading dun and Murph for Harrington and SJack was what made the team a playoff one. Diogu was poorly used, but was awesome in the little court time he got.

Mullin's bad moves were handing out pricey contracts to the likes of Foyle and dun


Firing Musselman and bringing in Monty as the replacement was a big blunder. In 2002, Musselman finished as runner-up to San Antonio's Gregg Popovich in NBA Coach of the Year Award voting in 2002–2003 with 231 points, including 26 first-place votes. That season, under Musselman's guidance, the Warriors, for the first time in nearly a decade, reached the .500 mark late in the season, holding a record of 30–30 on March 4, 2003. In Musselman's rookie season, his club finished 38–44, the most wins in more than 10 years. Despite numerous injuries and the loss of the team's top two players in Gilbert Arenas (signed with Washington) and Antawn Jamison (traded to Dallas (Mullin preferred Dunleavy)), the team still finished 37–45 under his direction during the 2003–2004 season. In two seasons as head coach in Golden State, Musselman compiled a 75–89 record. Nevertheless, Mullin decided that Monty would be a better coach for the Warriors after the 2004 season ended.

Choosing Dunleavy over Jamison was another blunder.

Signing Foyle, Fisher, Dunleavy, and Murphy to the big contracts showed a poor ability to think strategically.

Bringing in Nelson to replace Monty was a panic move which was done because of Mullin's inability to trade for a decent big man.

Trading away Dunleavy and Murphy for Jackson and Harrington was a good move.

Drafts:
2004: Andris Biedrens was a decent pick; however, Mullin picked Biedrens over Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, and Kevin Martin. Mullin blew this draft!

2005: Ike Diogu, Monte Ellis, and Chris Taft. How can any of us diehard Warrior fans ever forget when Mullin had boldly proclaimed that Ike was untouchable and wouldn't move him as part of a package for Ron Artest? Imagine Baron Davis, J-Rich, and Ron-Ron as a troika! Mullin passed on drafting Andrew Bynum, Danny Granger (because Mullin had such a hard-on for Dunleavy to be the Warrior small forward), Hakim Warrick, Nate Robinson, Jason Maxwell, David Lee and Ronnie Turiaf; instead Mullin picked Ike. Monte was a great 2nd round pick and Mullin deserves much credit for this pick.

2006: Patrick O'Bryant and Kosta Perovic. Mullin chose POB over Ronnie Brewer, Renaldo Balkman, and Rajon Rondo; all are better players than POB.
Mullin chose Perovic over Daniel Gibon, Paul Milsap, and Leon Powe. Enough said.

2007: Brandon Wright, Marco Belinelli, Stephane Lasme. Brandon Wright ??? WTF ??? Joakim Noah, Thaddeus Young, Julian Wright, Al Thornton, Rodney Stuckey, Nick Young, and Sean Williams; all would have been better picks than Brandon Wright. Also, Mullin messed up big-time by trading away J-Rich for B Wright.
Mullin picked Belinelli over Javaris Crittenton, Daequan Cook, Carl Landry, and Glen Davis.
Mullin picked Lasme instead of Marc Gasol. WTF ???

Let's be honest here: Mullin is the Warrior fans' 'loveable-idiot;' he gave us some good memories when he was a player, but he had no business to ever run the front office of any NBA franchise. Let's hope that the new ownership group will do the right thing and retire his uniform and hope that he never sets foot in the front office ever again!

All Star
Posts: 2804
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:51 am
Warriors update: Lacob’s overhaul continues–now it’s the business side

Tim K reports on what Lacob is now doing on the business side of the franchise. Fans, we no longer have the loser-stench of Cohan, Rowell, Mullin, and Nelson. We have a good ownership group (much better than Cohan), a new front office (much better than Rowell and Mullin), and a new head coach (chosen by the ownership group and the front office to implement their strategic vision of how best to build a championship-contending team on the court). We fans have a reason to be optimistic for the first time since the early-mid-1970s.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... ness-side/

Talking Points
WITH TIM KAWAKAMI
Home
About
Archives

Warriors update: Lacob’s overhaul continues–now it’s the business side
POSTED BY TIM KAWAKAMI ON JULY 29TH, 2011 AT 4:29 PM | CATEGORIZED AS NBA, WARRIORS

NBA’s in a lockout, NFL’s gone free-agent crazy, but still are some things to toss in on the Warriors… Here or there…

* Checked in with Warriors co-owner Joe Lacob a little while ago to see where things stood on his revamped management staff, particularly at the top, after the departure of team president Robert Rowell.

The update:

-The search for a new president is in the “recruiting process,” Lacob said. In the meantime, Lacob is handling the CEO and president roles.

New CFO Marty Glick is strictly that–CFO–and will not be serving any president-functions, Lacob said.

-The refurbishment of the team’s HQ in downtown Oakland is well under way and should be completed by the end of August.

-Lacob stressed that he’s doing a total overhaul of the organization, much of it we’ve already seen and some of it about to happen in the coming months.

Via email, he pointed out that…

-He’s obviously re-done his basketball operations side–adding Bob Myers, Jerry West and Lacob’s son Kirk and retaining Larry Riley and Travis Schlenk;

-He’s replaced about half the scouting staff and also the strength and conditioning and training operations (new people almost across the board);


-And now with Rowell out and Glick as CFO, Lacob is turning his attentions to the business side.

“By the one-year mark of our ownership on November 12, I think you will see a virtually entirely new organization,” Lacob said in an email. “It takes time to evaluate and then find replacements of the highest quality.”

Let me pause to point out here that, despite my occasional sparring with management over the years, I’ve always said there are many, many quality people working in all departments of this franchise.

They’ve had some terrible management. The culture there was awful for many years. The old team president and his chief lieutenants had to (or should) go.

But there there were, are and hopefully will remain some great people working for the Warriors.

I asked Lacob if he could get more specific about who might be departing and who might be staying.

Lacob’s reply: “Stay tuned.”
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 am
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:17 pm
uptempo wrote:
uptempo wrote:NBA.com is really a much better source of information than our local mediots who gave the previous ownership (Cohan), front office (Rowell and Mullin) too much of a free pass.

From the above link: "...It is worth noting that, for all the verbal abuse he took, spending was hardly a primary Cohan problem. If anything, he overpaid for Adonal Foyle, Derek Fisher, Mike Dunleavy, Stephen Jackson and Troy Murphy in deals negotiated y since-departed executives Chris Mullin and Robert Rowell. Cohan also took on Nelson as one of the highest-paid coaches in the league despite previous bad blood."

Foyle? Fisher? Dunleavy? Murphy? Even this board gave Mullin a pass on signing/extending/overpaying those guys.

Jackson? Rowell did take some heat on that one.

Hiring

Bringing back Nelson? Another Mullin blunder.

It is so refreshing not having the Cohan, Rowell, Mullin, and Nelson, the 'inept-foursome,' around to further screw up this franchise, and it is exciting to hear the team owner talk about contending. The inept-foursome (Cohan, Rowell, Mullin, and Nelson) were only concerned about giving the fans "an 'entertaining brand' of basketball" and had no clue on how to build a contender. This ownership group is not afraid to say what they want: a winning product on the court.

Lastly, Riley also needs to be held to some standard of accountability for the huge contract that was given to David Lee. David Lee is not a guy who can play interior defense, does not make his teammates better, nor can ever be moved in a trade because of his bloated contract.


Larry Riley is the last piece of garbage (along the inept-foursome (Cohan, Rowell, Mullin, and Nelson)) who needs to be purged out of this organization. Hopefully, Bob Myers is being groomed by Jerry West and not Larry Riley.

From: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... st-summer/

What if the Warriors had drafted Greg Monroe and avoided David Lee last summer?
POSTED BY TIM KAWAKAMI ON JULY 3RD, 2011 AT 8:18 AM | CATEGORIZED AS NBA, WARRIORS

Since I’m so used to enraging certain portions of Warriors fandom so reguarly, but especially during the July movement period…

And since there probably will be no July trade/free-agency period this year due to the lock-out…

(* Therefore all of the following talk about salary-cap maintenance is potentially out of date, but disucssed in relation to the previous rules. Generally speaking, it is presumed that having less money committed is better than having more committed, whatever the number or rules are.)

I’m looking back to last off-season and wondering about two moves made under old ownership, but definitely with the hold-over general manager’s fingerprints all over them:

* Drafting Ekpe Udoh with the 6th pick in the 2010 NBA Draft, and bypassing Greg Monroe (who went 7th to Detroit);

* And acquiring David Lee in a sign-and-trade deal, handing Anthony Randolph, Ronny Turiaf and Kelenna Azubuike to the Knicks and giving Lee a six-year, $80M deal.

I certainly have let my feelings be known on those two moves from the instant they were made last summer, so nobody will be surprised that I still believe they were unwise.

But it’s the look back from a longer view that always is the most important.

How do the Udoh/Lee moves look now, one year later, as the Warriors try to piece together a credible operation and roster heading into the 2011-2012 season, if there is a 2011-’12 season?

-I should immediately add right here that Riley made at least one certifiably strong decision–to sign SF Dorell Wright to a very affordable three-year deal.

-Wright wasn’t as incredible as some GSW partisans blared all season–or else the Warriors wouldn’t be searching for a hardier SF these days–but he was a clear upgrade over what the Warriors had and he is on a career upswing, which is always good.

Let’s just run over a comparison of what the Warriors look like now, and what they might’ve looked like with two different decisions by Riley (when Chris Cohan was still the owner and Robert Rowell was still the team president and Don Nelson was still the coach)….

* Udoh is not a bad young PF at all.


He’s by far the Warriors’ best defensive player and once he got healthy, the Warriors always seemed to play better when he was on the floor (though Keith Smart didn’t always seem to realize this).

I like Udoh as a cog in the building of a more defensive-minded team. I’m not saying that I don’t.

But Udoh was an old draftee and he’s 24 now. He’s about what he’s going to be as an NBA player. Good defense, very little scoring punch, not much on the rebounding, either.

Udoh might pick up the pace some on offense, but there’s really not much to work with there, and it’s not like he’s so young that you can project a jump-shot or post game fashioned out of the raw material.

Monroe, on the other hand, is two inches taller, three years younger (he just turned 21 last month), and already has shown that he can score and rebound in the NBA.

Once he got regular time in Detroit (on a bad team, granted), Monroe averaged just under 13 points and 10 rebounds and, according to the peripheral stats, wasn’t a defensive laggard at all.

Just to compare: As a 20-year-old rookie, Monroe had a 18.0 PER.

As a 23-year-old rookie, Udoh had a 9.7 PER.

That is a rather large production/efficiency gap and their corresponding ages tell us that it probably will only get larger.

Plus, Monroe might not be a full-time NBA center, but at 6-11 and with those skills, he can fake it at C, especially on offense, in a way that Udoh just can’t.

Udoh can play some defense at C–but like Monroe, probably not against the bigger Cs–but he’s not a true C. His position is PF, and he won’t be a scorer at either position.

Monroe is a scorer and rebounder at either spot, and that’s valuable stuff in the NBA.

Monroe clearly would’ve been the better pick. Udoh was the low-ceiling pick. It’s showing.

* And Lee isn’t a terrible PF, though I’ve taken my share of swipes at him.

He does rebound. He passes it well for a big man. Sometimes hits that 15-footer. He’s a very nice person.

But the Warriors owe him a little over $69M over the next five seasons, and despite their protestations, this is a contract that weighs them down in all future endeavors.

Lee fans get mad at me for a lot of things, where they’re probably right is that I often neglect to say that Andris Biedrins’ remaining $27M over the next three years is a worse burden.

But Biedrins is a center, who has been known to play some defense. And he’s still only 25.

I sometimes forget, but we’re always reminded that young centers have value in this league, even when they’ve stunk and been hurt for a few years.

Lee is 28. He’s not a center. And though his supporters do not like this subject, it’s a fact that he’s a poor defensive player.

He’s also not the easiest guy to partner with on the low post–the other big man MUST play great defense, he’ll never get defensive help from Lee, and he has to get out of Lee’s way when Lee wants that rebound.

Not easy to find that good partner.

Lee’s supporters say he was pulled down when he had to play next to Biedrins. I say Biedrins suffered almost as much or more in that bad partnership.

If the Warriors hadn’t acquired him, instead of Lee’s $11.61M salary slot for the coming seaosn, they’d theoretically still have Randolph ($2.91M for next season) and Turiaf ($4.36M) under contract, and Azubuike’s deal just expired.

So right there: Un-doing the Lee deal would slice $4.34M from the Warriors’ 2011-’12 payroll.

What happens if you slice that from the payroll? Under the old cap calculations, the Warriors would drop almost $12M under the salary-cap line of $58M…

And starting a salary at $12M or so? That would’ve been enough to lure a big-time free agent or force a team to do a sign-and-trade if they feared you could do the out-right signing.

(As Cleveland and Toronto feared when Miami was about to land LeBron James and Chris Bosh last July. Those ended up as S & T’s)

In a scenario where the Warriors want to get as far under the cap-line as possible, they could also renounce restricted F/A Reggie Williams, which would get them another $1M or so under the line.

As it is, with Lee on board and Williams given a qualifying offer, the Warriors are committed to about $51M (if you count their cap-hold for Klay Thompson) in salaries for next season, and that’s only $7M under the old cap line.

Also, without that Lee deal, the Warriors would’ve had Turiaf’s one-year contract to offer in potential sign-and-trade situations… AND they also would still have Randolph, who I know is hated by much of the GSW populace, but still retains some value. (Cue the shouting at me.)

Would they have won fewer than 36 games without Lee and with Randolph or whoever else manning the PF spot?

Almost certainly. I agree, the GSWs were a (slightly) better team with a veteran like Lee in there. But still very much a non-playoff team.

The old adage is correct here: It’s usually better in the NBA to win in the 20s (without Lee) and get better shots in the lottery, than to win in the high-30s (with Lee and a stuck cap situation) and draft at the back of the lottery every year.

Another point: Is David Lee the starting PF on a team that will ever challenge for a conference championship? Probably not, and yet he’s signed at large money for five more years.

The Warriors by signing Lee basically said he’s their PF through 2015-’16, so they’re conceding (though Riley and Rowell didn’t know it) that they probably won’t contend for a title in those years.

Lee’s a stuck-at-36-wins kind of player, especially when you pay him $13.3M a year.

That’s where the Warriors are with Lee, and with Udoh, who wasn’t a very high-ceiling guy from the moment they drafted him.

It’s not worth close to his $13.3M per-year average to have Lee on this team–when the Warriors are paying him all that money and STILL desperate for a big man who can score on the block and play defense.

And it would’ve been more valuable for the Warriors to draft a younger, higher-ceiling guy like Monroe, instead of using the 6th pick overall (their highest since drafting Dunleavy 3rd in2002) on a 23-year-old with marginal offensive and rebounding skills.

***** With Lee/Udoh in 2010-2011/Rotation:



C-Biedrins/Udoh, Gadzuric (partial season);

F-Lee, DWright, Radmanovic, Amundson;

G-Ellis, Curry, Law.

-Won 36 games;

-Still were a bad rebounding team;

-Still were a terrible defensive team;

-Major long-term salary commitments, including not enough room–pending a new CBA, which promises only to make the situation worse–to offer enough to lure a big-time big man in free agency;

-Still need a low-post scorer and low-post defender–Lee’s a pretty tricky big man to try to find a proper big man partner;

-No Randolph or Turiaf.

**** With Monroe and Randolph (and no Lee or Udoh)/
Hypothetical 2010-’11 rotation:

C-Biedrins, Turiaf, Gadzuric;

F-Monroe, DWright, Randolph, Radmanovic, Amundson, Williams;

G-Ellis, Curry, Law.

-Hypothetically would’ve won fewer than 36, which means possibly a better lottery position.

The Clippers had four fewer wins than the Warriors and were three slots higher in the lottery odds, and they ended up with the No. 1 overall pick, but that went to Cleveland because the LACs had traded the pick.

-Possibly a slightly worse rebounding team (without Lee), but possibly not (since Monroe is a good rebounder);

-Definitely a team with young mid-post scorer in Monroe, with room to grow;

-Probably still hungry for a low-post defensive presence;

-Still have Randolph and Turiaf, though;

-And have $4.34M more room under the cap for free-agent or sign-and-trade excursions, with Monroe as an easier big man to pair with than Lee is.

With Monroe on board, you don’t necessarily have to find a big scorer at C/PF. You just need a guy who can hustle and bang–and it’s the big low-post scorers who cost the huge money.

With $12M to spend right away–hypothetically, in a new CBA who knows?–the Warriors could’ve seeen if Tyson Chandler wanted a three- or four-year deal, or tried to pry the Clippers’ DeAndre Jordan as a restricted F/A (for less than $12M to begin the deal, but for more than $7M).

With $7M to spend right away, that’s much tougher to do.

*** You tell me what scenario is the better one for the long-term. It’s all hypothetical now, but it was fairly obvious a year ago, and I don’t think there can be too much argument now.


Rilley's been decent, I wouldn't put him at the incompetence or corruption level of a Cohan / Rowell / Nelly. I disagree with TK on David Lee. there are a lot of "what-ifs." the fact is the W's would've had another 20win season, pissed fanbase, and stuck with Anthony Randolph and nothing to show for it. we got an allstar PF and building block, turned quantity into quality. I think every1 and their momma wanted Greg Monroe. would've made trading Biedrins so much easier.

All Star
Posts: 2804
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:39 pm
rockyBeli wrote:Rilley's been decent, I wouldn't put him at the incompetence or corruption level of a Cohan / Rowell / Nelly. I disagree with TK on David Lee. there are a lot of "what-ifs." the fact is the W's would've had another 20win season, pissed fanbase, and stuck with Anthony Randolph and nothing to show for it. we got an allstar PF and building block, turned quantity into quality. I think every1 and their momma wanted Greg Monroe. would've made trading Biedrins so much easier.


You cannot brand Nelson as incompetent or corrupt without also highlighting the person who hired Nelson, Chris Mullin.

Mullin's Front Office Record:

Firing Musselman and bringing in Monty as the replacement was a big blunder. In 2002, Musselman finished as runner-up to San Antonio's Gregg Popovich in NBA Coach of the Year Award voting in 2002–2003 with 231 points, including 26 first-place votes. That season, under Musselman's guidance, the Warriors, for the first time in nearly a decade, reached the .500 mark late in the season, holding a record of 30–30 on March 4, 2003. In Musselman's rookie season, his club finished 38–44, the most wins in more than 10 years. Despite numerous injuries and the loss of the team's top two players in Gilbert Arenas (signed with Washington) and Antawn Jamison (traded to Dallas (Mullin preferred Dunleavy)), the team still finished 37–45 under his direction during the 2003–2004 season. In two seasons as head coach in Golden State, Musselman compiled a 75–89 record. Nevertheless, Mullin decided that Monty would be a better coach for the Warriors after the 2004 season ended.

Choosing Dunleavy over Jamison was another blunder.

Signing Foyle, Fisher, Dunleavy, and Murphy to the big contracts showed a poor ability to think strategically.

Bringing in Nelson to replace Monty was a panic move which was done because of Mullin's inability to trade for a decent big man.

Trading away Dunleavy and Murphy for Jackson and Harrington was a good move.

Drafts:
2004: Andris Biedrens was a decent pick; however, Mullin picked Biedrens over Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, and Kevin Martin. Mullin blew this draft!

2005: Ike Diogu, Monte Ellis, and Chris Taft. How can any of us diehard Warrior fans ever forget when Mullin had boldly proclaimed that Ike was untouchable and wouldn't move him as part of a package for Ron Artest? Imagine Baron Davis, J-Rich, and Ron-Ron as a troika! Mullin passed on drafting Andrew Bynum, Danny Granger (because Mullin had such a hard-on for Dunleavy to be the Warrior small forward), Hakim Warrick, Nate Robinson, Jason Maxwell, David Lee and Ronnie Turiaf; instead Mullin picked Ike. Monte was a great 2nd round pick and Mullin deserves much credit for this pick.

2006: Patrick O'Bryant and Kosta Perovic. Mullin chose POB over Ronnie Brewer, Renaldo Balkman, and Rajon Rondo; all are better players than POB.
Mullin chose Perovic over Daniel Gibon, Paul Milsap, and Leon Powe. Enough said.

2007: Brandon Wright, Marco Belinelli, Stephane Lasme. Brandon Wright ??? WTF ??? Joakim Noah, Thaddeus Young, Julian Wright, Al Thornton, Rodney Stuckey, Nick Young, and Sean Williams; all would have been better picks than Brandon Wright. Also, Mullin messed up big-time by trading away J-Rich for B Wright.
Mullin picked Belinelli over Javaris Crittenton, Daequan Cook, Carl Landry, and Glen Davis.
Mullin picked Lasme instead of Marc Gasol. WTF ???

Let's be honest here: Mullin is the Warrior fans' 'loveable-idiot;' he gave us some good memories when he was a player, but he had no business to ever run the front office of any NBA franchise. Let's hope that the new ownership group will do the right thing and retire his uniform and hope that he never sets foot in the front office ever again!
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 am
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:08 am
uptempo wrote:
rockyBeli wrote:Rilley's been decent, I wouldn't put him at the incompetence or corruption level of a Cohan / Rowell / Nelly. I disagree with TK on David Lee. there are a lot of "what-ifs." the fact is the W's would've had another 20win season, pissed fanbase, and stuck with Anthony Randolph and nothing to show for it. we got an allstar PF and building block, turned quantity into quality. I think every1 and their momma wanted Greg Monroe. would've made trading Biedrins so much easier.


You cannot brand Nelson as incompetent or corrupt without also highlighting the person who hired Nelson, Chris Mullin.

Mullin's Front Office Record:

Firing Musselman and bringing in Monty as the replacement was a big blunder. In 2002, Musselman finished as runner-up to San Antonio's Gregg Popovich in NBA Coach of the Year Award voting in 2002–2003 with 231 points, including 26 first-place votes. That season, under Musselman's guidance, the Warriors, for the first time in nearly a decade, reached the .500 mark late in the season, holding a record of 30–30 on March 4, 2003. In Musselman's rookie season, his club finished 38–44, the most wins in more than 10 years. Despite numerous injuries and the loss of the team's top two players in Gilbert Arenas (signed with Washington) and Antawn Jamison (traded to Dallas (Mullin preferred Dunleavy)), the team still finished 37–45 under his direction during the 2003–2004 season. In two seasons as head coach in Golden State, Musselman compiled a 75–89 record. Nevertheless, Mullin decided that Monty would be a better coach for the Warriors after the 2004 season ended.

Choosing Dunleavy over Jamison was another blunder.

Signing Foyle, Fisher, Dunleavy, and Murphy to the big contracts showed a poor ability to think strategically.

Bringing in Nelson to replace Monty was a panic move which was done because of Mullin's inability to trade for a decent big man.

Trading away Dunleavy and Murphy for Jackson and Harrington was a good move.

Drafts:
2004: Andris Biedrens was a decent pick; however, Mullin picked Biedrens over Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, and Kevin Martin. Mullin blew this draft!

2005: Ike Diogu, Monte Ellis, and Chris Taft. How can any of us diehard Warrior fans ever forget when Mullin had boldly proclaimed that Ike was untouchable and wouldn't move him as part of a package for Ron Artest? Imagine Baron Davis, J-Rich, and Ron-Ron as a troika! Mullin passed on drafting Andrew Bynum, Danny Granger (because Mullin had such a hard-on for Dunleavy to be the Warrior small forward), Hakim Warrick, Nate Robinson, Jason Maxwell, David Lee and Ronnie Turiaf; instead Mullin picked Ike. Monte was a great 2nd round pick and Mullin deserves much credit for this pick.

2006: Patrick O'Bryant and Kosta Perovic. Mullin chose POB over Ronnie Brewer, Renaldo Balkman, and Rajon Rondo; all are better players than POB.
Mullin chose Perovic over Daniel Gibon, Paul Milsap, and Leon Powe. Enough said.

2007: Brandon Wright, Marco Belinelli, Stephane Lasme. Brandon Wright ??? WTF ??? Joakim Noah, Thaddeus Young, Julian Wright, Al Thornton, Rodney Stuckey, Nick Young, and Sean Williams; all would have been better picks than Brandon Wright. Also, Mullin messed up big-time by trading away J-Rich for B Wright.
Mullin picked Belinelli over Javaris Crittenton, Daequan Cook, Carl Landry, and Glen Davis.
Mullin picked Lasme instead of Marc Gasol. WTF ???

Let's be honest here: Mullin is the Warrior fans' 'loveable-idiot;' he gave us some good memories when he was a player, but he had no business to ever run the front office of any NBA franchise. Let's hope that the new ownership group will do the right thing and retire his uniform and hope that he never sets foot in the front office ever again!


ya no doubt Mullin made mistakes but he also made deals to get us Baron/Jax/Harrington to propel us into the playoffs. difference between Mullin and the rest of the knuckleheads is 1) he had respect around league 2) he wasn't a power hungry backstabber 3) he gave the impression that he was at least TRYING to win 4) he was decisive, proactive, and at least attempted to build a team. even though he had horrid judgment by building around Dunleavy / Murph, he showed he was trying to build SOMETHING. I can't say the same about many of the previous GSW GM's or FO.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron