Ellis bought in?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:10 am
All signs from the Cats point to them going with a Kemba and Augustin backcourt, so I don't think Ellis would make them smaller since. He'll make them bigger in the front court and they also add a #1 scoring option. You're probably right about Diaw though. When he was with Phoenix, he pretty much guarded every position but that was a couple of years ago and his ability to guard point guards maybe behind him.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:41 pm
Chris palmer from espn the magazine rated monta 3rd best sg in the league!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ellis' in-between game is what puts him in such elite company. From a catch-and-shoot position to creating off the dribble, he's what his new coach, Mark Jackson, might call "a knockdown shooter." Ellis also excels when it comes to shooting the midrange pull-up off screens and curls from the baseline and wing. Some might look at his size as a hindrance, but he's turned it into a positive by developing runners, floaters and one-handers in the lane that most shooting guards never take the time to practice. As a result of so many go-to weapons, Ellis' 46 percent shooting from the field is second only to Wade's 48 among shooting guards in the top 25 in scoring.

One of Ellis' unique abilities is coming to a stop much quicker than most defenders can. His coaches marvel at his ability to go from full tilt on the break to a complete stop in just a couple of steps. His rapid deceleration creates a chasm between him and his defender, which allows him to get off a clean look. Thanks to excellent body control, he can plant his feet and release his shot without sacrificing form. But he also gives it up. Ellis was the only shooting guard in the top 25 in assists, giving the Warriors a second point guard on the floor without losing any scoring punch.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:40 pm
I'd say that's an accurate assessment, however he is not the 3rd best SG when you consider his defense and rebounding at the 2. When just considering scoring - yeah he is easily top 3.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:55 pm
JREED wrote:I'd say that's an accurate assessment, however he is not the 3rd best SG when you consider his defense and rebounding at the 2. When just considering scoring - yeah he is easily top 3.

arent you a bit surprised that he's getting credit for it though? i mean, i think he's easily 3rd best scoring sg too, but getting credit for it as a warrior? that's amazing!!! almost never happens... if ever

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:31 pm
Yeah you're right, I hadn't considered that. My brother was telling about how Mike and Mike were asking a basketball "expert" if a list of players were "stars" and where they ranked and when they got to Monta they said something to the effect "We can skip that one" implying that he wasn't even worth considering.

The lack of attention the Warriors get is criminal - I have no idea why being in the 4th largest market. I could understand if it's just because we've been bad for a while but other bad teams get plenty of national coverage.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:34 am
JREED wrote:I'd say that's an accurate assessment, however he is not the 3rd best SG when you consider his defense and rebounding at the 2. When just considering scoring - yeah he is easily top 3.

Agreed

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:42 am

Agreed. Although for all around game, the only one I would certainly put above him is Manu. Monta is not a poor rebounder for his position, and usually the SGs who average the most rebounds get some time at SF. Defense he is about average I think. So I'd probably rate him as 4th best, 3rd best offensively. Offensively I don't think the gap is very big between Monta and Kobe/Wade if you take into account that they probably get about 4 FTA per game specifically for the name on the back of their jersey. Kevin Martin is close too on offense, but less versatile than Monta Kobe and Wade.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:14 am
8th ave wrote:

arent you a bit surprised that he's getting credit for it though? i mean, i think he's easily 3rd best scoring sg too, but getting credit for it as a warrior? that's amazing!!! almost never happens... if ever

8th ave again comes up with another winning picture!!!!

:)

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:15 pm
migya wrote:
8th ave wrote:

8th ave again comes up with another winning picture!!!!

:)

8)

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:53 pm
3rd best SG? That's like behind Kobe and Wade? Question's then.
1. How come he was absent in All star game.
2. If we do have such a superstar in our team what the **** are we doing in the lottery.
3. The Wookiee that wrote this is crazy or hi on something ?

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:43 pm
TRON wrote:3rd best SG? That's like behind Kobe and Wade? Question's then.
1. How come he was absent in All star game.
2. If we do have such a superstar in our team what the **** are we doing in the lottery.
3. The Wookiee that wrote this is crazy or hi on something ?

1) Yao Ming led all players for most votes despite not playing a single game last season. Tracy McGrady had a similar situation when on the Rockets. Derrick Fisher had more votes than Monta last year. That and guard last year in the west was the hardest position of any to crack for the ASG. Williams, Paul, Kobe, Manu, Westbrook all had great stats on teams that were better than Monta's. The 2 best coaches in the NBA (Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich) and the best player of the last decade (Kobe Bryant after Monta outdueled him for most of a game, but unlike Kobe didn't get rest before the 4th) all said he should DEFINITELY be an all-star. Don't know what more of an endorsement you need.
2) Because we still have an extremely flawed roster built around Ellis with no defensive presence down low. I guess he can play C if you want though. Kobe had a ridiculous season a few years ago on a lotto team. Pierce was on a team that had the worst record in the NBA in 06-07 and he's a hall of famer. Although I don't think Monta is a superstar at all.
3) No I think it's clear he's not, but nice try.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:57 am
whoever wrote the article is retarded. 3rd best SG is a joke.

SG's who are better than Monta right now:

Kobe
D Wade
Joe Johnson
Kevin Martin
Manu

I would take any of these players over Monta except Manu cuz he's old....but he's still better than Monta right now. add Brandon Roy to the list if he can get back to his pre-injury level. Monta has the most bloated stats in the league and some people get suckered in.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:46 am
Manu and a healthy Roy are definitely better. Kevin Martin is a more efficienct scorer and better at pretty much nothing else. He has pretty much absolutely no effect on the game outside of scoring which he would be pretty useless when refs don't give him his flop calls. He is terrible at rebounding for his size. Gets like 1 assist in a system that practically gives them away (Rockets were 1st in assists with like 10 players averging more than Martin) and is a worse defender than Monta. Take into account Monta's assists and he accounts for more points than Martin any night by far. Joe Johnson is arguable. Last season he was not better than Monta but was going through injury problems. They are comparable defenders, but i'll give the edge to Johnson (which should be obvious given his frontcourt). Johnson is not a much better rebounder despite 3 inches on Ellis, scores less (more talented players and a slower system so I can't fault him too much) and Ellis is the better playmaker who is also more clutch. Johnson still gets a lot of hype because of that Celtics series, but since then has not shown the ability to consistently take over games as a #1.
Get Money. Get Paid.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:19 pm
Spaceman, you took the words right out of my mouth - great posts, but breaking up some of those text blobs wouldn't hurt.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:46 pm
Whether they're better or more efficient, there are a bunch of SGs I would rank above Ellis. He maybe in the top 10 but certainly not a top 3 or even 5 SG in the league. Aside from guys like Kobe, Wade, Johnson or any of those guys that made the All-Star team...I'd take these guys over Ellis....

Wesley Matthews - This guy has basically made Roy expendable. He's 25 years old and has nice size at 6'5. He's also a good defender.

Demar Derozan - He should have a breakout next season. He has prototypical size and athleticism to play the positon. He's a willing defender and good rebounder. Averaged 17 points this past season and I could see him breaking the 20 point mark in the coming season. He's also only 22 years old with tons of upside.

Others..that I would rather have

Evan Turner
Andre Iguodala
Wesley Johnson
Aaron Affalo
Landry Fields
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball