The official CHARLES JENKINS Thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: -1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:10 pm
He was our 2nd round pick, a guard from Hofstra. Jay Bilas considered it a steal as he thought he would've been gone in the 1st round. Good value pick.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Sonic on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have two NBA teams: The Golden State Warriors and whoever faces off against the Los Angeles Lakers because I'm a 100% Warrior fan and a 100% Laker Hater

Rookie
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:11 pm
Sonic wrote:He was our 2nd round pick, a guard from Hofstra. Jay Bilas considered it a steal as he thought he would've been gone in the 1st round. Good value pick.

Thoughts?

ADIOS Jeremy Lin!

Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:18 pm
I think he'll go good with Charles Jenkins

I would have went with Selby though

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:19 pm
I think it's Jenkins not Hopkins.

Seems to be praised universally as a good 2nd round pick. That's not really saying much though. If he can play back up pg at an nba level it will make for a great pick.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 pm
Sonic wrote:He was our 2nd round pick, a guard from Hofstra. Jay Bilas considered it a steal as he thought he would've been gone in the 1st round. Good value pick.

Thoughts?

btw who is Charles Hopkins?
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:28 pm
Yeah it's Jenkins...another short dude (6 foot 3 inches)..can't we get some people with size?
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:00 pm
Knightofoceans wrote:Yeah it's Jenkins...another short dude (6 foot 3 inches)..can't we get some people with size?

He is over 6'3 and weighs 222lbs ... thats very good size IMO
Play some D
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:03 pm
BigTron wrote:
Knightofoceans wrote:Yeah it's Jenkins...another short dude (6 foot 3 inches)..can't we get some people with size?

He is over 6'3 and weighs 222lbs ... thats very good size IMO

Sounds like he could be a bit fat

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:08 pm
LMAO!!! HAHA, why would we pick fat guy???....then again...we picked Todd Fuller and Patrick O'Bryant and Ike Diougu

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:35 pm
Good draft. Got two guards, one with length, and one with bulk. And we bought a promising big who just needs some direction and proper coaching.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:27 pm
I really like his handle and drives to the hoop (there were many times he bangs into 3 defenders and able to finish) in this mix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcO1N1MZycg

Draft Measurement Numbers:
4.3% body fat (3rd least among drafted players)
216 lbs (heaviest drafted guard other than 6'5" Shupert)
16 benches (only 18 Shumpert, 17 Malcolm Lee and Shelden Mack had more among guards and nobody broke 19)
9th fastest sprint among all drafted guards
middle of road verticals among all drafted guards (29.5" no step and 34" maximum)
6'7.5" wingspan (second to Shumpert among "point guards")
unimpressive 8'0.5" reach
worst agility score among all drafted guards

He compares himself to Rodney Stockey but I see him more like a poor man's Baron. I really like his quote and some facts here:

"One thing that separates me from a lot of other guys is I don't force things,' he says. 'I know I'm not going to get there and finish over a guy like Dwight Howard, but I have a pull up jump shot that I can rely on and I'm a great passer which a lot of people don't really know. People see my scoring numbers and that's really all they see, but I'm smart enough to know the ways I'm going to score there."

"There weren't but a handful of players at the Division I level, who, like Jenkins, shot 50 percent from the field, 40 percent from three and 80 percent from the free-throw line. I'll leave you with one more impressive stat from Jenkins' resume: In 128 career games, he reached double figures 122 times, including the last 58. No wonder he joined Chris Mullin (St. John's) and Jim McMillian (Columbia) as the only players to win the Hagerty Award (given to the top college player in the New York metro area) three straight seasons."

Very impressive assist to turnover ratio
"Suffice it to say, Jenkins does not shy away from contact and is able to finish in traffic with the best of them. His ability to distribute the ball should not be overlooked either, as he averaged just shy of five dimes a game and boasted a 2.16 assist to turnover ratio. Jenkins is the prototypical “instant offense” kind of player that simply knows how to put the ball in the hole."

spends a lot of time at the free throw line (6.7 FTA per game)

Link is below:
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2011/06/nba_draft_2011_charles_jenkins.html

I think he will be a great solid backup to Curry. Great pick in my book.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:23 pm
He is a combo guard that we can use at either guard position ... instant scoring ... not so much of a facilitator. love the pick though.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:10 pm
Definately looks like Jenkins could be a keeper and a very good backup to Curry, maybe even as a SG at times as well

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: -1
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:47 am
The one thing I really care about is can he play defense?
I have two NBA teams: The Golden State Warriors and whoever faces off against the Los Angeles Lakers because I'm a 100% Warrior fan and a 100% Laker Hater
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:12 am
Seems to get beat off the dribble due to his size and his standing reach are the major concerns defensively.

Here's a scouting report on his defense:

Good actively defensively, especially considering his minutes and offensive role. Gets low and displays good lateral quickness. Seems to have good awareness on defense and plays great help defense. Knows when to double team. Effort wont be a problem defensively at the next level. His size will prevent him from being a great defender, but he’ll be ok. Played a lot of zone in college and didn’t mix it up to much on the glass.

http://nbaprospects.blogspot.com/2011/05/scouting-report-charles-jenkins.html

A pretty good breakdown on his ability to play point offensively but this is their take on his defense:

Jenkins is physical enough and has the necessary lateral quickness to be an adequate defender. He isn't going to make an All-NBA Defensive team any time in the near future (or ever for that matter), but he isn't going to be a liability here either, even though he'll be giving up a couple inches to opposing players on many a night.

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2011/4/1 ... nt-hofstra
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball