Some troubling news in Warriors land

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:30 am
According to Tim Kawakami the Owner's Son, Kirk Lacob, is emerging as a key voice, A KEY VOICE in the Warriors draft room.

This kid just graduated college 10 month ago and he was named Director of Basketball Operations (4th in command)... :banghead: :banghead:

Here is this kid's experience:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/kirk-lacob/6/87a/b7b
This season is not a flop.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:19 am
It doesn't sound nice when you hear that we promote people by their family status, instead because of their previous work, but this doesn't have to be a bad thing. He's a young guy, willing to prove himself, and I read that he had some experience with sports, he ran Stanford's basketball team, and also worked with Boston Celtics, so it's not like he's totally out of place. And even if he is, like said, he's 4th in command, not first.

I wouldn't think of it as a big deal, we should see how he turns out to be.
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:52 am
WTF!?! York family 2.0!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: This is really bad. I hated the Marc Jackson hire and instantly started comparing it to the Mike Singletary promotion but with less experience - this is vary bad... I'd rather have Riley back...

Kirk Lacob's Summary (from LinkedIn)

I recently graduated from Stanford University with a BA in Science, Technology and Society and a focus in Management Science and Engineering. I have a vast array of interests and experience, most notably founding and running my own youth sports camp, working for the Boston Celtics, living in Dubai while working for a PE firm, and most recently founding and running the Stanford Club Basketball team and working at Chegg.com.

BA in Science!?!!? Founded a youth sports camp - yeah like that's hard to do when your dad has a sh*t load of money and is looking for both a tax write off and a hobby for is son... This sucks.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:57 am
JREED wrote:WTF!?! York family 2.0!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: This is really bad. I hated the Marc Jackson hire and instantly started comparing it to the Mike Singletary promotion but with less experience - this is vary bad... I'd rather have Riley back...

I am not a Niners fan, but you are right...reports are that Lacob hired Jackson because he was impressed with his personality (just like Yorks with Sing) and now this junk with his 23 year old son getting major input in the draft room.

I am not impressed with the new ownership just yet, save for getting West, but I am not so sure about everything else.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:08 am
From an ESPN Blog a few months ago:

Kawakami recounts the interaction like this:

Your son Kirk is going to be in the front office. Any concern that there will be charges of nepotism?

Kirk had a job with the Phoenix Suns under Steve Kerr. He is a graduate from Stanford. You’ll have to make this judgment yourself, I’m biased, but I think he’s one of the smartest, basketball-savvy young men I’ve ever run into. I say that, I know he’s my son, but he really is.

And he’s wanted to do this forever. Maybe obviously has the passion his dad does for basketball. He played… he could’ve played in a lot of college places. Wound up going to Stanford and walking on, starting the Stanford club basketball program and built that.

He had a job with the Phoenix Suns, then Steve Kerr unexpectedly resigned in June, when he was supposed to start. He was going to start after the summer.

I said, well, Kirk, you’re kind of lucky that your dad is bidding for an NBA team. I didn’t have it at the time, though. I said you’d better get off your butt and find another job.

Of course we got it in July and I had to take the summer really to have some discussions with him as to whether this is the right thing for him to do. I’m a self-made guy. He wants to be a self-made guy. That’s a tough call whether he should come join the team or not.

People are going to ask a lot of questions. I told him he has to work harder than everybody else. Everybody else. And I expect a lot from everybody. And he’s going to have to perform just like Larry Riley, Bob Rowell, the coach, everyone’s going to have to perform. And he probably has to perform better, because of the situation.

But I have full and utmost confidence in his abilities.

Rookie
Poster Credit: -2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:56 am
If my dad bought the Warriors I'd have him promote me to GM and if anyone of you protested me I'd have your IP's traced and ban you from the stadium. Then I'd make my players take me out with them and leach off of their groupies.

Just sayin', don't hate. Imagine if you were in his shoes...Honestly.

They can do whatever they want with the team because it's their business, and most people tend to forget that because of the intimacy they have with their sports teams.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:48 am
Yes they can do what they want and its not hating... However, If I purchased the Warriors I would hire a qualified person to have decisions in the draft room...Of course I would find a way to put my son on the payroll... What I certainly would not do would to put my son fresh out of college in a position to dictate what the team is going to do on the Draft...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:28 pm
sfgent wrote:If my dad bought the Warriors I'd have him promote me to GM and if anyone of you protested me I'd have your IP's traced and ban you from the stadium. Then I'd make my players take me out with them and leach off of their groupies.

They can do whatever they want with the team because it's their business, and most people tend to forget that because of the intimacy they have with their sports teams.

Trace IPs? Is that how it works? i though David Stern and the NBA owners tracked us with RF chips implanted in our .... Looks like those weekly enemas where unnecessary in addition to being uncomfortable... :shock:

It's just as much the fan's team as it is theirs - without the fans there wouldn't be a team. I buy tickets, apparel and watch the stupid commercials on CSNBay that pay for that team and now pay his spoiled kid's undoubtedly, undeservedly large salary - i can hate all day. It's a fan message board...Honestly.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:30 pm
JREED wrote:WTF!?! York family 2.0!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: This is really bad. I hated the Marc Jackson hire and instantly started comparing it to the Mike Singletary promotion but with less experience - this is vary bad... I'd rather have Riley back...

how can you compare Marc Jackson to Mike Singletary hire??? there nothing of the like,

The hire was more like Jim Harbaugh (a coveted HC prospect) who has playmaking experience being that Harbaugh ran a system as a player from his days playing QB (like Jackson was a PG)

To expect Singletary to have any knowledge on dialing up plays is just wrong (the dude was a smash mouth Linebacker & not a intelligent one)

I guess maybe me and you see a glass half empty and a glass half full.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:46 pm
PAWNO wrote:

how can you compare Marc Jackson to Mike Singletary hire??? there nothing of the like,

The hire was more like Jim Harbaugh (a coveted HC prospect) who has playmaking experience being that Harbaugh ran a system as a player from his days playing QB (like Jackson was a PG)

To expect Singletary to have any knowledge on dialing up plays is just wrong (the dude was a smash mouth Linebacker & not a intelligent one)

This discussion is actually quite good; I like how we fans on this board are now scrutinizing every move that this franchise is making.

We really do not know what Mark Jackson will do as a head coach; however, the team did hire a top assistant, Malone, to give him a head start in putting together his staff (good move).

When comparing this hire to the Mullin hiring fiasco (bringing in a (not-the-sharpest-knife-in-the-drawer former player (who previously also had a serious drug and alcohol problem)) guy (Mullin) with no front office experience to apprentice under another front office guy who had no vision, no proven track record, and no chance to ever build a championship team (St. Jean)), the Jackson hiring actually looks a billion times better (than the Mullin hiring).

Guys, we have a smart VC, a smart entertainment exec, The Logo, and a top notch former agent all contributing to the direction where this franchise is heading. These guys hired the guy whom they believe will do the best job coaching this team.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:45 pm
I would prefer to hire Shaw, to bring some of Jackson's triangular offense in our team and Malone to bring some defense. I would name the stronger personality head coach and the other assistant. Tell me that you as a fan wouldn't prefer it. And don't be disrespectful to Mullin.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:30 pm
TRON wrote:I would prefer to hire Shaw, to bring some of Jackson's triangular offense in our team and Malone to bring some defense. I would name the stronger personality head coach and the other assistant. Tell me that you as a fan wouldn't prefer it. And don't be disrespectful to Mullin.

If the Lakers were getting Shaw ready to take over the entire time and still didn't promote him to head coach ... thats saying something ... enough to scare me away from hiring him.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:24 pm
JREED wrote:
sfgent wrote:If my dad bought the Warriors I'd have him promote me to GM and if anyone of you protested me I'd have your IP's traced and ban you from the stadium. Then I'd make my players take me out with them and leach off of their groupies.

Trace IPs? Is that how it works? i though David Stern and the NBA owners tracked us with RF chips implanted in our .... Looks like those weekly enemas where unnecessary in addition to being uncomfortable... :shock:

It's just as much the fan's team as it is theirs - without the fans there wouldn't be a team. I buy tickets, apparel and watch the stupid commercials on CSNBay that pay for that team and now pay his spoiled kid's undoubtedly, undeservedly large salary - i can hate all day. It's a fan message board...Honestly.

:mrgreen:

It is a business (one worth and involving many millions of dollars and not a small business where family hiring family can be seen as acceptable) and thus has to be treated like one so any sort of favouriteism should be completely nonexistent. Credibility and proven ability are what count most ofcourse

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:58 am
TRON wrote:I would prefer to hire Shaw, to bring some of Jackson's triangular offense in our team and Malone to bring some defense. I would name the stronger personality head coach and the other assistant. Tell me that you as a fan wouldn't prefer it. And don't be disrespectful to Mullin.

I, too, am a big Brian Shaw, triangle offense, coming from a winning tradition fan.

The ownership group, inner circle, and front office see something in Mark Jackson, perhaps similar to what the Lakers had seen in Pat Riley (he came down from the broadcast booth, too).

Mullin, too, was hired with no experience, given the keys to the kingdom, had marginal results; and yet, faced no scrutiny by us fans when he was hired. If the fans were willing to give an unproven guy (a guy who had some skeletons in his closet, too) its endearing support, then it is quite odd that these same fans are up in arms about the Mark Jackson hiring. Fans might want to look in the mirror and ask some hard questions on why this is the case.

Lacob's son: Nepotism sometimes works...look at Donnie Nelson and what he has been able to accomplish.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:01 am
PAWNO wrote:

-HOF players

-Little or no actual coaching experiences (Sing gets credit for a three years as an assistant but LB coach doesn't count)

-"Rah Rah" attitudes

-Owners/Execs like their attitudes, personalities, etc but don't say much about any other (more important) attributes that they may or may not possess to be a successful HC

-Don't get the feeling from listening to either one that they are very smart

I know that's it's waaaaaay too early to judge Marc, but as a 9er fan, I'm worried that the Warriors made the same mistake - they fell in love with the guy as a personality instead of a HC that will help the team win games.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball