Hawks win again!

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:31 pm
migya wrote:Don't know what it is but the Jazz would be one of the top 3 teams in the West if he was close to what Chris Paul is right now

:shock: I have to assume you're kidding. The Jazz would be battling for an 8th seed if Deron Williams was doing as well as Chris Paul. AK-47 is their only star (and he's injury prone). Carlos Boozer's ass is basically cemented to the bench. And... other than that, they don't have anybody close to taking them to another level. The Jazz are a long way off.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:59 pm
They're at .500, just 1/2 game behind that 8th spot, so they're fighting for it right now.

With a better pg they should be fighting for a 5th-6th seed, and they play in the worst division of the conference, so they could be the 3rd seed (winning the division title), even if they're not one of the top 3 teams in the conference.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:45 pm
Purely due to the division. Utah has a terrible basketball squad and I, for one, am shocked that they're fighting for the 8th this year.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:25 pm
TMC wrote:They're at .500, just 1/2 game behind that 8th spot, so they're fighting for it right now.

With a better pg they should be fighting for a 5th-6th seed, and they play in the worst division of the conference, so they could be the 3rd seed (winning the division title), even if they're not one of the top 3 teams in the conference.

Beat me to it!

Look at the standing #32! Deron is awful right now and they are still doing good!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:23 am
Like I said, I'm completely shocked. Aside from AK, they don't have one player worth a second look.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:19 am
#32 wrote:Like I said, I'm completely shocked. Aside from AK, they don't have one player worth a second look.

They have a great coach. Coaching alone can make players overachieve. I agree their roster ain't good, but Sloan's work cover up most of their flaws.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:39 am
#32 wrote:Like I said, I'm completely shocked. Aside from AK, they don't have one player worth a second look.

Mehmet Okur deserves credit! If Troy Murphy is good, then Okur is very good

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:42 am
migya wrote:Mehmet Okur deserves credit! If Troy Murphy is good, then Okur is very good

They're the same kind of player. Both are good shooters and rebounders, and completely clueless on defense. Both are good, but overpaid.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:38 pm
:roll: He we go again about Mehmet Okur...

Okur's having a career season, but it doesn't mean he'd be performing like this under other circumstances. Look at his career stats. Rebounding? Good. Scoring? Eh, decent. His %'s tell the whole story. He's never shot this well in his career, which means he'll plumet sooner or later. Good seasons happen, but it doesn't instantly mean that the player is "very good". Okur's numbers will stabilize next year.

As far as Sloan, I give him all the credit in the world. It's a major tribute to the coach, this day and age, when he can remain with a team for so long. Jerry Sloan does well with the pieces he's given. It's too bad he doesn't have a "John Stockton" piece anymore, though...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:44 pm
#32 wrote:As far as Sloan, I give him all the credit in the world. It's a major tribute to the coach, this day and age, when he can remain with a team for so long. Jerry Sloan does well with the pieces he's given. It's too bad he doesn't have a "John Stockton" piece anymore, though...

Yep. I don't think he'll ever have another chance to get a ring in Utah, but, at the same time, can't see him coaching in any other place.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:57 am
#32 wrote::roll: He we go again about Mehmet Okur...

Okur's having a career season, but it doesn't mean he'd be performing like this under other circumstances. Look at his career stats. Rebounding? Good. Scoring? Eh, decent. His %'s tell the whole story. He's never shot this well in his career, which means he'll plumet sooner or later. Good seasons happen, but it doesn't instantly mean that the player is "very good". Okur's numbers will stabilize next year.

:scratch: This is Okur's furth season only........... he has never got so much court time............ shooting like he has his whole career, just has the opportunity to take more shots.

It took time for other big guys to develop and play well eg. Jermaine O'neal. Many players took time to develop into stars and productive players - Payton, Kemp, Billups, Garnett......... No way is this a fluke by Mehmet Okur! He is doing what he is doing, with the majority of the defense focussed on him, especially when AK was injured for so long, because he has the skills and ability!!!!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:17 pm
Well, we'll just have to see how much his "skills and ability" are in effect next season when/if AK & Boozer are both healthy...
Previous

Return to Sports Board