BIYOMBOOOOO!!!!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:12 pm
Drafting Biyombo mean's quitting on Udoh. Why? I believe Udoh is just as good on defense and better on offense. So what's the meaning? And please i don't want to hear that Biyombo is a center. For Europe or NCAA maybe, not for a legit NBA team.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:14 pm
TRON wrote:Drafting Biyombo mean's quitting on Udoh. Why? I believe Udoh is just as good on defense and better on offense. So what's the meaning? And please i don't want to hear that Biyombo is a center. For Europe or NCAA maybe, not for a legit NBA team.

consider the fact that he may still grow
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:24 pm
He may. But wouldn't be better to draft a player who can help right now? Singleton, Morris, Leonard, Burks. They can be starters almost right away.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:01 pm
TRON wrote:He may. But wouldn't be better to draft a player who can help right now? Singleton, Morris, Leonard, Burks. They can be starters almost right away.

Agreed. I like Biyombo, just don't know if he's needed unless we get rid of Udoh. I'd much rather put Udoh and Singleton on the floor together than Udoh and Biyombo. Then get a defensive guard who is at least 6'5 to spell Monta and Curry 10 minutes each, and I guarantee we will be giving up 10 less points per game.

We need a beefy and athletic PF who can play some C. I think we should try to trade Dorrell to the Grizz (worst 3 point shooting team in the nba i believe) for Darrell Arthur. Or maybe trade a future pick for Patrick Patterson of the Rockets. These guys are young VERY SOLID bench players who are capable of starting some games without huge dropoff.
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:37 pm
Biyombo wasn't that impressive in eurocamp:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011-adidas-eurocamp-day-1
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:06 pm
yeah after watching more of Biyombo and seeing his practice video I've since changed my opinion on him. He will be a mid to late first rounder at best ... we need defense but not at the expense of ALL offense.

I have a feeling we'll be stuck taking Singleton
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:05 pm
Beast Mode wrote:yeah after watching more of Biyombo and seeing his practice video I've since changed my opinion on him. He will be a mid to late first rounder at best ... we need defense but not at the expense of ALL offense.

I have a feeling we'll be stuck taking Singleton

think about it tho... we're not in need of offense... atleas not overall... i understand we do need a low post scorer, but dallas did it without one... yes they have a superstar in dirk, but my point is that they won a championship being perimeter oriented...

if we pick up byombo, he wont need to score... we already have enough scoring... what we need is defensive presence... we'll have the luxury of putting in udoh at the 4 and byombo at the 5 when teams are getting into the paint at will... if this guy knows or can learn how to rotate/help defense, we'd be a force defensively.... something chandler did for dallas this year

i dunno... i'd be ecstatic if we got this kid... chad ford is going to post the interviews he did during euro workouts tomorrow, but he said that byombo had great character, so that's another plus...

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:40 pm
Biyombo is flat out terrible on offense though. Like worse than Beans and Joel Anthony. The guy was supposedly airballing layups, and on offense it will be 4 on 5. Even a team with 2 superstars and a 3rd allstar (Heat) had to rely much more on defense to win games, because they played 4 on 5 on offense a lot of the time. Guy's who can block and rebound can be found later in the draft. Plus the guy is a MAJOR project. Even his defense probably will be, as staying out of foul trouble will be much harder in the NBA than in European league where much more contact is allowed.

I'm not saying he's the worst pick we could make, or I would be upset taking him, but we need at least 1 lockdown perimeter defender also. Singleton or Leonard are the better pick for this team i think. Then take a C in the second round, and sign a backup G who can play D off the bench and spell Monta and Curry some minutes. I think Singleton will be the best out of these 3 possibly too. The guy led the ACC in blocks AND steals. There's not many players that could do that in any league, much less one of the tougher NCAA conferences. He also prides himself most on defense and dominating that matchup. How many player's have we had in recent years who went out with their mission to just shut a guy down? None?
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:32 pm
we shouldn't worry about whether or not the guy could score, because like i said... we have enough scoring!

think about what kendrick perkins did for boston and what he did this year for okc.... i didn't see not ONE post up for tyson chandler the entire playoffs and he got a ring this year... noah, zaza pachulia, okafor, and camby... none of these players are good low post scorers... they are there for defensive purposes and that's what we need biyombo for....

seriously... we gave up 105 points to teams eVvEeRrrYyY GaMe last season... as a team, we need to look at how we can turn that into a more manageable number... scoring doesn't me NOTHINNGGGGG if the other team scores more...i'll say it again... it doesn't matter if you score 200 points! if the other team scores 201 you lose the game!

defense, guys.... we need defense really bad....

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:16 am
I never said he was a bad pick. I just think he is a major project. The guy has only been playing basketball for a few years. Yes he has potential, but also a ton of inexperience. He will also be coming into a league that allows much less contact. That could be a major problem for foul prone rookies.

I too want defense, but defense that can contribute more than 10 minutes a night. With Singleton you get a guy who can guard perimeter players (something we don't already have) and do it for much longer each night. He also won't be nearly the liability on offense.
Get Money. Get Paid.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:48 am
I dont like the line "we have enough scoring", because we are one monta ellis injury from not having enough scoring. We have enough scoring because Ellis can score whenever he pleases, which allows for the other members of our team to score as well.

Earlier, i was intrigued by Binoybo, but i having second thoughts. I do not think he it at all ready for the NBA, and based on recent history, projects almost never pan out. Remember Thabeet, the project for the Grizzlies, who was pretty good in college with UCONN. Terrible in the NBA, and couldn't play as well in the D-league either.

I think this team should go safe and grab a balanced player. if Donatas Motiejunas or Jonas Valanciunas are available, i would grab either of them. Lithuania has always been a strong international basketball hub, and both guys (albeit very different from each other) bring a lot to the court.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:21 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I dont like the line "we have enough scoring", because we are one monta ellis injury from not having enough scoring. We have enough scoring because Ellis can score whenever he pleases, which allows for the other members of our team to score as well.

Earlier, i was intrigued by Binoybo, but i having second thoughts. I do not think he it at all ready for the NBA, and based on recent history, projects almost never pan out. Remember Thabeet, the project for the Grizzlies, who was pretty good in college with UCONN. Terrible in the NBA, and couldn't play as well in the D-league either.

I think this team should go safe and grab a balanced player. if Donatas Motiejunas or Jonas Valanciunas are available, i would grab either of them. Lithuania has always been a strong international basketball hub, and both guys (albeit very different from each other) bring a lot to the court.

i dont believe that if monta got injured we'd have trouble scoring... 2 years ago we averaged 110 ppg or sum with injuries to ellis, jax, maggette, biedrins, and crawford.... basically EVERYBODY in a warriors uniform and they mamas was hurt and we still managed to score the most in the league!

no guts, no glory... if i could, i'd go all in on defense... jerry west talks about the need to take risks so i hope we take pick em up at #11

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:35 pm
I think we saw this year though, that we DO NOT have that same ability to score no matter who we plug in. We don't have the same players that Nellie got out of the D League that are very good at scoring and fitting in his system. Also many of the games people refer to in regards to how this team fares without Monta were at the end of 09-10 when he was shut down a bit and we were playing teams that were either tanking or resting for the playoffs (Do you guys notice how every year we have a strong April where a lot of our young guys look like legit starters?). We no longer have Watson, Morrow and play a stretch 4. We are becoming a more traditional team (slowly) and there are other defensive players in this draft who could be just as good or better than Biyombo, contribute more minutes and do so right away. And if the Heat could not win and often struggled in half court sets playing 4 on 5, with 2 of the best players in the world, our games will be downright pitiful. More jumpshots than ever, as they will always be able to pack an extra guy in the paint.
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:09 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:I think we saw this year though, that we DO NOT have that same ability to score no matter who we plug in. We don't have the same players that Nellie got out of the D League that are very good at scoring and fitting in his system. Also many of the games people refer to in regards to how this team fares without Monta were at the end of 09-10 when he was shut down a bit and we were playing teams that were either tanking or resting for the playoffs (Do you guys notice how every year we have a strong April where a lot of our young guys look like legit starters?). We no longer have Watson, Morrow and play a stretch 4. We are becoming a more traditional team (slowly) and there are other defensive players in this draft who could be just as good or better than Biyombo, contribute more minutes and do so right away. And if the Heat could not win and often struggled in half court sets playing 4 on 5, with 2 of the best players in the world, our games will be downright pitiful. More jumpshots than ever, as they will always be able to pack an extra guy in the paint.

the heats did win! they got to the finals! yes they lost, but think about how both dallas and miami got to the finals... dirk has been fighting for 13 years to win a ring, and im sure he'd tell you that the biggest difference was tyson chandler who anchored the middle... he had that same squad for a long time minus chandler, but chandler was guy that pushed them over the top and kept people like LEBRON JAMES out of the painted area... same with joel anthony... everyone always talks about the big 3 but i think anthony's defensive presence was just as important as wade, bosh, and james' production on the court... if dirk wasn't one of the BEST 7 foot shooters we've seen in the NBA, dallas would've lost this series....

another thing people seem to overlook is biyombo's ability to get offensive rebounds and putbacks... 7'6" wingspan!!!! dude is long as the mississipi river!!i dunno, man... im done preaching for this guy... by no means am i saying that this guy is guarenteed to have success... but i look at what the possibilities are, and im willing to take the plunge.... and dont forget... our starting center right now is andris biedrins... ANDRIS MFKEN BIEDRINS!!!! cant see anyone being thrilled about that either...

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:21 pm
The Heat made it there despite Joel Anthony. Yes re plays a good role, but that's all he is, is a role player. And when you have 2 of the best perimeter defenders who are allowed more contact funneling guys into you, you will look better. It doesn't change the fact that they ranged between mediocre and terrible in half court offense. Also The Mavs failed to win because they had C's that did nothing on offense or defense. Chandler was an upgrade on both sides of the floor to Dampier.

Look I love Biyombo's tenacity, athleticism and size, I just don't think he will be able to play much more than 10 minutes a game. He will be playing in a different league, with different rules, especially with regards to how much defenders can contact offensive players in the lane. He is a project. If I want a guy who can play limited minutes and develop in the meantime, I'd rather take Lucas “Bebe” Nogueira from Brazil in the 2nd round. He is very similar to Biyombo, is more likely to be a true C and is projected to have a much higher ceiling as an overall player. You would get similar production, and still have a first rounder to take a solid perimeter defender who will most likely be a key part of the rotation.
Get Money. Get Paid.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball