Off-season thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:41 pm
another way to improve a team besides the draft is through free agency... here's a list of both restricted and unrestricted free agents... if the salary remains more or less the same, i think we have about just enough money to offer someone max money...

note : lets not waste time debating about how much a player wants and whether or not if he's worth it; i just want to talk about who we might be able to acquire to improve the team...

jeff green - versatile player that can defend multiple positions... he can also shoots free throws, rebound, and occasionally go step outside and shoot the 3... if we can get em, we have the option of moving him into the starting line-up and have wright come off the bench or vice versa...

tyson chandler - top tier defensive player that can anchor the middle for any team

wilson chandler - a player similar to jeff green, but scores and shoots at a better clip... may not be as good as green defensively tho...

nene - a great up and coming center in the league... can run the floor well , can score on the low post and rebounds...

chuck hayes - is a tough inside player... rebounds well on both sides of the ball

deandre jordan - another player we can consider to replace biedrins... and great athleticism, protects the rim, and rebounds

marc gason - lowpost scorer + rebounds + some defense as well

shane battier - premiere wing defender and shoots the corner 3 very well... also takes control of huddles and provides veteran leadership

kris humperies - another good interior player that makes his mark by being able to give teams 2nd and 3rd chance scoring opportunities

david west - a good rebounder, low poster scorer, and can also step out and hit mid-range jumpers... also provides great leadership

andrei kirelinko - another player who is very similar to jeff green and wilson chandler...

i've done this before, but here's the list of 2011 free agents
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... ents-11-12

if im missing anyone feel free to add to the discussion
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:15 am
If we can't find longterm help at the C position, I wouldn't mind offering Turiaf a contract similar to what we have him a few years back. He likes the team and fans here, so maybe would be willing to sign for cheap, and although he's not a great post defender or rebounder, he protects the paint well and is not a bad backup C.

Nazr Mohammed could also be a cheap option at C. I like Chuck Hayes, but fear he could cost a lot for essentially a backup. Mbah A Moute would not be a bad pickup for cheap, as has the size and skill to be a premiere wing defender. He is younger than Battier, although I think Battier could still offer a few years of his solid defense while perhaps mentoring others. Leon Powe might not be a terrible pick. I know he has been kinda lost in the shuffle due to injury and being part of a deep rotation of Memphis's bigs, but if he can still be productive I like him as a cheap option.

Deandre Jordan and Tyson Chandler are the type of C's we need. Both will be very expensive, due to the premium it costs for athletic paint protecting C's in this league.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:54 pm
I'll add a list of players I think could be useful for our team, and are playing the positions that we are weak at. But, that after I finish watching episode 8 of Game of Thrones. :)
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:22 pm
Might be me, but I'm not seeing any solution on SF on this group of FAs. Battier and Prince perhaps, but both are digressing rapidly in my opinion, and are over 30 years as well. It would be better maybe to get a SF during the draft.

Though, there are some players at center position that would help us out immediately. My first option would be Oden, and I would be willing to risk with his injuries, solely because of his potential. Tyson Chandler would also be a good signing, but he will be approached by a lot of teams, so his price would be too high. Nene, probably the same as Chandler. So, that would leave us with Samuel Dalembert, who we did mention here quite a few times. And I would add Nenad Krstic in the mix. I believe he can play good defense, and he does have a big body, a true 7 footer. Though, he is more of a backup center, but I think he might be a starting center if given minutes, and if spelled nicely with Biedrins.

The other thing we could do, if those talks about us trading Ellis turn out to be truth, would be to look to pick up a SG from FA, cause I hope that in case we would trade Ellis, it would be for a good starting center. So, out of SGs, I'd go for J.R. Smith, athletic guy, who can make cuts as well, can shoot, and is a good scorer. He could probably be if not 20, than close to 20 PPG player for us. Or, maybe we could see J-Rich once again in Warriors' jersey. I know he isn't the old J-Rich, but he's still good for over 15 points per game, and that was with Orlando where Howard was a main target for getting the balls. In Golden State, without Monta, he could still put some better numbers. And he turned out to be a great shooter as well.

And one more player we don't need that much, but could either make Lee available for some trade package, or come off the bench, and give us some good depth there - David West. If not him, then Carl Landry could pretty much do the same thing.

That's about it, at least that's all I can think of at the moment.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:13 am
Dr. Spaceman wrote:If we can't find longterm help at the C position, I wouldn't mind offering Turiaf a contract similar to what we have him a few years back. He likes the team and fans here, so maybe would be willing to sign for cheap, and although he's not a great post defender or rebounder, he protects the paint well and is not a bad backup C.

Nazr Mohammed could also be a cheap option at C. I like Chuck Hayes, but fear he could cost a lot for essentially a backup. Mbah A Moute would not be a bad pickup for cheap, as has the size and skill to be a premiere wing defender. He is younger than Battier, although I think Battier could still offer a few years of his solid defense while perhaps mentoring others. Leon Powe might not be a terrible pick. I know he has been kinda lost in the shuffle due to injury and being part of a deep rotation of Memphis's bigs, but if he can still be productive I like him as a cheap option.

Deandre Jordan and Tyson Chandler are the type of C's we need. Both will be very expensive, due to the premium it costs for athletic paint protecting C's in this league.

I agree with pretty much all you said here. Turiaf was great when he was here, a real fan favourite and that means alot. He has lots of energy and blocks a fair amount of shots, good for about 3 million a year at most.

DJordan is who I want and you are right, he will get a big contract so no go for us to get him. Unless AB goes and expirers are attained, it is no go for paying high price for another Center. You have to play it safe and get rid of the big useless salaries first.

I'd throw a good five or six million a year at WChandler of Denver, but I do think he'll get a bit more from other teams. He is solid to say the least and would be a good addition. Felton is another player from Denver I like, though not as much as I did before this season. If both current starting guards here are not traded, then I'd only be willing to pay Felton three million a year, but even then he'd be kind of wasted playing little time here

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:34 am
I agree with pretty much all you said here. Turiaf was great when he was here, a real fan favourite and that means alot. He has lots of energy and blocks a fair amount of shots, good for about 3 million a year at most.

he was not good here... didn't rebound and couldnt stay in front of his man...

DJordan is who I want and you are right, he will get a big contract so no go for us to get him. Unless AB goes and expirers are attained, it is no go for paying high price for another Center. You have to play it safe and get rid of the big useless salaries first.

um... no
1. if we traded andris for expirers, their contract wont end until NEXT year, so it wont mean anything for this upcoming free agent class
2. good teams come out of their pockets to win... you can't be cheap and win... might be able to pull it off in baseball, but certainly not the nba... im not saying i'd give deandre jordan a **** load of money, but i am willing to break the bank for someone like nene or marc gasol.... besides... you always have to overpay in free agency UNLESS you are acquiring people like louis amundson, mikki moore, or jamareo davidson or some ****.... and people like samual dalembert????? theyre BANDAIDS... wont do anything here

I'd throw a good five or six million a year at WChandler of Denver, but I do think he'll get a bit more from other teams. He is solid to say the least and would be a good addition. Felton is another player from Denver I like, though not as much as I did before this season. If both current starting guards here are not traded, then I'd only be willing to pay Felton three million a year, but even then he'd be kind of wasted playing little time here

i wouldn't mind bringing in wilson but i dont think 5 or 6 will bring him here... denver has A LOT of money coming off the books so they have the room to bring back nene, jr smith, and wilson chandler.... so the only way i see us bringing him in is if we're willing to pay chandler more than they're willing to
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 am
8th ave wrote:

he was not good here... didn't rebound and couldnt stay in front of his man...

um... no
1. if we traded andris for expirers, their contract wont end until NEXT year, so it wont mean anything for this upcoming free agent class
2. good teams come out of their pockets to win... you can't be cheap and win... might be able to pull it off in baseball, but certainly not the nba... im not saying i'd give deandre jordan a **** load of money, but i am willing to break the bank for someone like nene or marc gasol.... besides... you always have to overpay in free agency UNLESS you are acquiring people like louis amundson, mikki moore, or jamareo davidson or some ****.... and people like samual dalembert????? theyre BANDAIDS... wont do anything here

i wouldn't mind bringing in wilson but i dont think 5 or 6 will bring him here... denver has A LOT of money coming off the books so they have the room to bring back nene, jr smith, and wilson chandler.... so the only way i see us bringing him in is if we're willing to pay chandler more than they're willing to

Turiaf for a similar contract is not a bad pickup at all. He is basically a poor man's Deandre Jordan that can be had for half the money. Deandre Jordan is not a good rebounder, averaging less than 8 a game, and not ever really boxing out. He is also not a very good man defender either. Turiaf is also a much better shooter than him and better passer. He does not get the alleyoops Jordan does, but we do not pay a guy a ton to bring a few extra dunks. Gasol is a solid young C, but is going to get PAID this offseason. Don't mind us offering him a respectable contract but would not try to win a bidding war for his services.

Wilson Chandler is a solid player, but will probably get the whole MLE, and we need to add too much depth to pay a guy like him big money. Also the way he gave up on his team in the playoffs this year was not something I would want on this team. However, it would prevent him from biting Lee in a game again hopefully.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:21 pm
If we end up trading Monta for Iguodala (and we don't also get Lou Williams as part of the trade), one need we will have for sure, is a scoring combo guard to bring off the bench and lead the team. Any players in the draft that could fit this bill(please no Jimmer unless he is BPA and it's not close)? I know Jamal Crawford would be a nice fit for that role, but he commands a lot of money and don't know the terms he left our team on. We could also try to trade for a young guy who can provide such a role. Players like Jordan Crawford on the Wizards who can do such very cheap are all over the league fighting for minutes. Maybe we could make a trade for a player like him. Anyone have players in mind since replacing Monta is supposedly so easy?
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:55 pm
Potential replacements for Monta in draft:

Alec Burks
Marshon Brooks
Jordan Hamilton [is 6'7 and can play the 2 or the 3. great scorer plus would give us good size with Iggy out there as well]

or we could reach on Josh Selby - He will far outperform where is drafted [character concerns, didn't really workout at Kansas at all].
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:03 am
Beast Mode wrote:Potential replacements for Monta in draft:

Alec Burks
Marshon Brooks
Jordan Hamilton [is 6'7 and can play the 2 or the 3. great scorer plus would give us good size with Iggy out there as well]

or we could reach on Josh Selby - He will far outperform where is drafted [character concerns, didn't really workout at Kansas at all].

I like the idea of Brooks and Hamilton, as I think both players could contribute on a winning team right away. I think Alec Burks could be a bit of a project in such a case. I like his all around game, but think he's better suited developing that on a lotto-bound team. Brooks is a polished scorer who can rebound very well for a SG, and has a nice frame to pair with Curry. However, his ceiling is not great. Hamilton could be a great pick. He is not ideal for this roster, as defense could be the weakest part of his game, but he has a deadly stroke that should help stretch the floor. Does he bring much more than Wright besides a higher ceiling? Or are we better off going for a defensive player like Biyombo or Singleton even if we do lose Monta?
Get Money. Get Paid.

Return to Warriors Basketball