Official - Welcome Mark Jackson Thread... I guess..?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:46 pm
Well, it's official. I know I'm not too crazy about the hire but at least the guy has been considered for other HC positions in the past so it's not completely insane.

Yahoo Sports wrote:Mark Jackson has agreed to a three-year, $6 million contract to coach the Golden State Warriors.

Jackson, who has no coaching experience, is one more signature hire of new owners Joe Lacob and Peter Gruber. After new executives Jerry West and Bob Myers took over in the Warriors front office, Jackson’s candidacy ascended from a large group of potential head coaches.

The Warriors are dedicated to spending money to hire a strong group of assistant coaches for Jackson, sources said.

Jackson played 17 seasons as a point guard in the NBA and most recently worked as a TV analyst. He had interviewed for several coaching jobs without receiving an offer. He was in the running for the Atlanta Hawks job that went to Larry Drew a year ago, and also met with officials from the Los Angeles Clippers, New York Knicks and Philadelphia 76ers in recent years.

Jackson replaces Keith Smart, who was not retained by the Warriors at the end of the season. His contract also includes a team option for a fourth season.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:50 pm
Yeah, and as I stated earlier...he's been to the playoffs 14 out of 17 seasons so know what it means to make the playoffs. And has played for 5 hall-of-fame coaches. Probably not the best choice but I see it working out. He's a players coach which is better than not.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:04 pm
I too think that people were a little too harsh on him before. If Jerry West likes him, he can't be bad. Not to mention that Steph Curry basically just got the keys to the Warriors team.
~LilBallerx~

All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:36 pm
Better than any of the other candidates.... I'm not mad at all.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:32 pm
Knightofoceans wrote:Yeah, and as I stated earlier...he's been to the playoffs 14 out of 17 seasons so know what it means to make the playoffs. And has played for 5 hall-of-fame coaches. Probably not the best choice but I see it working out. He's a players coach which is better than not.

Who are these 5 hall of fame coaches?

Too lazy to look myself.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:54 pm
LOL...the article said:

"Jackson played for five Hall of Fame coaches in his college and pro career: Lou Carnesecca, Lenny Wilkens, Jerry Sloan, Pat Riley and Larry Brown."
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:56 pm
PAWNO wrote:
Knightofoceans wrote:Yeah, and as I stated earlier...he's been to the playoffs 14 out of 17 seasons so know what it means to make the playoffs. And has played for 5 hall-of-fame coaches. Probably not the best choice but I see it working out. He's a players coach which is better than not.

Who are these 5 hall of fame coaches?

Too lazy to look myself.

Jeff Van Gundy was his coach in NYC :mrgreen:

Here all the notable names he played under (5 HOF coaches plus one NBA legend):

Pat Riley (NYC.. the first time)
Jerry Brown (clippers and pacers)
Larry Bird (indiana)
Lenny Wilkins (Toronto)
Jerry Sloan (Jazz)
Rudy Tomjonovic (Rockets)
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:29 pm
LilBallerx8 wrote:I too think that people were a little too harsh on him before. If Jerry West likes him, he can't be bad. Not to mention that Steph Curry basically just got the keys to the Warriors team.

+1
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:11 am
So playing for good coach's makes you a good coach. Learning all the time. Excuse me but i would like a coach for the job, not a wannabe coach. He may be good but as a new coach he will make mistakes. Big ones. On our back. In a crucial moment when we try to change our fates. Making some bold moves maybe good. Making all your moves bold and risky is destined for failure. Why? Bold and risky moves not always succeed. Because they are bold. And risky. So we have a future GM that he will learn the job on our back. We have a coach the he will learn the job on our back. And both will have to succeed. A legendary GM who will be just an adviser and a GM that they say that he will make the decision's until the wannabe GM is ready to take his job. Fine. Boy are we an interesting team. I believe a special award must be invented just for us. The "Golden State never let you bored" award.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:02 am
TRON wrote:So playing for good coach's makes you a good coach. Learning all the time. Excuse me but i would like a coach for the job, not a wannabe coach. He may be good but as a new coach he will make mistakes. Big ones. On our back. In a crucial moment when we try to change our fates. Making some bold moves maybe good. Making all your moves bold and risky is destined for failure. Why? Bold and risky moves not always succeed. Because they are bold. And risky. So we have a future GM that he will learn the job on our back. We have a coach the he will learn the job on our back. And both will have to succeed. A legendary GM who will be just an adviser and a GM that they say that he will make the decision's until the wannabe GM is ready to take his job. Fine. Boy are we an interesting team. I believe a special award must be invented just for us. The "Golden State never let you bored" award.

i have 3 words for you...

JERRY MFKEN WEST....

if we made this hire, it must be right....

oh... if you go to espns main site and click the link for the mark jackson hiring, you can hear the interviewer AND mark jackson pronouncing our owners name wrong... not a good start... lol....
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:17 am
He just going to be a coach to help Curry to be a better PG. His assistants will come up with the game plans. Well now Jerry West need to surround the roster with better players. Better wing defenders or athlete who want to work hard on the defensive end even against great talents.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:36 am
here's a link to a video of mark jackson talking about what he'd do in some nba situations

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... runch-time
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:07 am
JERRY MFKEN WEST WANT COACH.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/tim-kawaka ... source=rss

And have in mind that Lacob never interviewed ANY of the other candidates.

Have in mind also that we are going to through an unprecedented amount of money in assistants for Jackson.
If you want to make a superstar out of Curry hire him as a personal coach. Many teams did for many players.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:10 am
So sad moment for GSW. why they didn't got Bagatskis? Maybe salary is to high for him..
Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:35 am
OK, I am going to place my faith in Lacob and assume West also gave his approval for this hire right after this...
WHAT THE FU*K HAPPENED?!?!? THIS GUY HAS NEVER BEEN EVEN AN ASSISTANT COACH BEFORE!!! WHAT THE HELL DID HE SELL THEM ON IN THE INTERVIEW PROCESS? "I'VE WATCHED A LOT OF BASKETBALL SINCE I GOT THRU PLAYING?" HOLY SH*T!!!
ok. I'm back now. Got to believe he has a plan and that a lot of people are convinced he can do it.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball