Nice Story about Clifford Ray

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:49 am
Why isn't Clifford Ray being mentioned as a potential head coaching candidate?

The man has developed big men (Robert Parish (during his short tenure with the Warriors), Roy Tarpley, Dwight Howard, Kendrick Perkins), worked as an assistant (for Dallas, Golden State, Orlando, and Boston), and is a link to the one championship the championship team.

I am not saying that the front office should hire Clifford Ray, but, at least, get the man in here for an interview.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:21 am
he would be a solid assistant coach for me. He seems to have been doing a good job with the bigs in the teams he has worked in this last decade (orlando, boston). He would be over 60 years old, and I don't know if hiring a first time head coach over 60 is a good idea (I think he is a career assistant).

However, the league revolves around PG's and scoring. I want me head coach to be either a former point guard or one that has the mindset of a point guard. Also, someone that knows how to gameplan for key scoring situations when needed is critical. I simply do not know if Ray can do this consistently.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:29 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:he would be a solid assistant coach for me. He seems to have been doing a good job with the bigs in the teams he has worked in this last decade (orlando, boston). He would be over 60 years old, and I don't know if hiring a first time head coach over 60 is a good idea (I think he is a career assistant).

However, the league revolves around PG's and scoring. I want me head coach to be either a former point guard or one that has the mindset of a point guard. Also, someone that knows how to gameplan for key scoring situations when needed is critical. I simply do not know if Ray can do this consistently.

Your analysis is spot on...I agree.

I do believe that the interview process should include Clifford Ray, even if he is not the lead candidate nor the hire. The team needs to understand how defense, interior play, and the development of big men are all crucial for any team to compete in the NBA.

Also, Clifford Ray has a great resume in the NBA as an assistant coach and is a contemporary link to the championship team.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:42 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:However, the league revolves around PG's and scoring. I want me head coach to be either a former point guard or one that has the mindset of a point guard. Also, someone that knows how to gameplan for key scoring situations when needed is critical. I simply do not know if Ray can do this consistently.

Well said ad I just read that Mark Jackso has bee speakig with the FO of the team. He seems to fit the descriptio you just stated Crackers. He has no head coachig experiece, but you have to start somewhere ad he defiately was a stable player that was the PG for some very good teams

migya make the ring fall on ya

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:24 am
migya wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:However, the league revolves around PG's and scoring. I want me head coach to be either a former point guard or one that has the mindset of a point guard. Also, someone that knows how to gameplan for key scoring situations when needed is critical. I simply do not know if Ray can do this consistently.

Well said ad I just read that Mark Jackso has bee speakig with the FO of the team. He seems to fit the descriptio you just stated Crackers. He has no head coachig experiece, but you have to start somewhere ad he defiately was a stable player that was the PG for some very good teams

The only thing about Mark Jackson is that I hate him as a TV analysis. He comes off as annoying (being next to Jeff Van Gundy doesn't help) and way to plain with his comments. It might not mean much in regards to coaching, but I do think it is hurting his coaching prospects.

Brian Shaw is a name that comes to mind. He was being groomed by the Zen Master himself. But so was Kurt Rambis, and look how he is turning out in Minnesota.

The warriors need to decide what their goal is: Are they looking for long term success or short term? If its short term then try to go after Adelman or Sloan. If its long term, then pick one of those much younger coaches (Shaw, Jackson, whoever) and give him a minimum of 3 years to learn the ropes before deciding if he is the right fit.
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:11 pm
I want Shaw.
~LilBallerx~

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:55 pm
Guys, please, write your sexual preferences on some thread in off-topic part, or create a new one.

:mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:31 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
migya wrote:

The only thing about Mark Jackson is that I hate him as a TV analysis. He comes off as annoying (being next to Jeff Van Gundy doesn't help) and way to plain with his comments. It might not mean much in regards to coaching, but I do think it is hurting his coaching prospects.

Brian Shaw is a name that comes to mind. He was being groomed by the Zen Master himself. But so was Kurt Rambis, and look how he is turning out in Minnesota.

The warriors need to decide what their goal is: Are they looking for long term success or short term? If its short term then try to go after Adelman or Sloan. If its long term, then pick one of those much younger coaches (Shaw, Jackson, whoever) and give him a minimum of 3 years to learn the ropes before deciding if he is the right fit.

It has to be longterm. I'd go for either Shaw or MJackson

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:00 pm
Guybrush wrote:Guys, please, write your sexual preferences on some thread in off-topic part, or create a new one.

:mrgreen:

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

:)
~LilBallerx~

Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball