Jerry West

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:00 pm
Raider1015 wrote:The Myers hire was praised by everyone in the industry as brilliant. He's got super-close ties to Arn Tellem and the gang, which is basically a backdoor to every worthwhile free agent on the market. Jerry West is a super amazing respectability hire, but his name means more to fans than his presence will to actually winning free agents. Still, definitely worth being happy about. Now just hope they get the right coach.

any sources? i'd appreciate them
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:05 pm
PAWNO wrote:One thing that has irritated me previously about Jerry West & Kevin McHale is that they traded the 2 key cornerstones of there respected GM OPERATIONS (KG In Minesota) & (GASOL in Memphis) & sent those mens packing to the franchises that there original loyalties lie with (McHale=BOSTON) (West=L.A)

So in saying that... when I read that West is joining us in a "Non Decision Making" capacity then I jumped with joy knowing that the chances of Stephen Curry being traded to the Lakers for a bag of Nachos & a Coors Lite decreased significantly :-)

Jerry West:
From Tim K at http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... -business/

"I can also tell you that the snarky commentary about Memphis dealing Pau Gasol to the Lakers for a package including Kwame Brown’s expiring contract… and that West might immediately try to send Curry to the Lakers…

Is just silly.

West is not in it to covertly pump up the Lakers–if you know his rocky relationship with Jerry Buss, you would definitely know West’s mission is NOT to deliver anything to the Lakers.

First, West wasn’t the Grizzlies’ GM when that deal happened–West’s contract had expired and he was a consultant; Chris Wallace was the GM who made that deal.

Second… that deal didn’t turn out so horrendously for Memphis: They got Marc Gasol (very good young center), draft picks that turned into Darrell Arthur and Greivis Vasquez, and the expiring Kwame money helped give them flexibility to add budget in the future.

I’m all too happy to criticize execs for bad deals, but that one wasn’t West’s, and it wasn’t horrendous, either.
"

The KG trade to Boston was supposed to be a KG trade to Golden State. Mullin messed up by being too slow (Mullin, slow? No way) to McHale with a package deal which would have included B Wright, Biedrens, and possibly Ellis for KG. Apparently, Mullin had the deal in place with McHale only to not consummate the deal with a phone call.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:54 pm
Here is an interview with Jerry West with Tim K:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2011/05/24/jerry-west-after-the-presser-i-do-think-theres-changes-that-need-to-be-made-here/
Some very interesting bits. like this quote.
-Q: Do the Warriors have a great player right now?

-WEST: Umm… I think greatness is measured over a period of time. They’ll take players and anoint them at a very early age. I always say you shouldn’t judge a rookie until after his third year to see if he grows.

I look at the Curry kid, for instance, I see tremendous growth in him as a player. Tremendous growth. But there’s still more room for improvement and that improvement will come through experience.

Monta Ellis, a fierce competitor. He competes his fanny off every night. Love to watch him to play. But to me, size helps. Size helps.

The two trades that we made that were pretty controversial: We traded Norm Nixon, who was part of our championship team, and even to this day, I don’t think Norm’s very happy with me. But I’ve always said that with the ball in his hands Earvin Johnson was Magic Johnson; with the ball out of his hands he was Earvin Johnson. They had a difficult time sharing the ball and being successful.

Trading Nick Van Exel was one of the most difficult—he was one of my favorite players. But it got to the point where you would rather it be about the team than about the individuals. To this day I know he despises me. But I don’t think you have to look at it that way.

You have to look at what’s best for the bigger picture here, and that’s what these guys want to do.

Could mean we have seen the last of Monta as a warrior. Whether it pleases some fans here or not, I cn't see how this helps, as you don't want an unhappy Monta to start the season, if they can't get a really good deal before it starts.
Personally I hoped we'd see what the two could do with some additions like FA depth and a draft pick for another half season at least. I don't think they've reached their full potential, especially Curry. They often outproduce other back courts. It's our front court that gets outproduced night in and night out despite defensive adjustments by the other team that should make them get easy looks. But if a trade is the only way to get the size that can make us a playoff team, then so be it.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:55 am
Not sure that you can say this backcourt produces more than any other backcourt tandem. When talk about production, we're not just talking about scoring points but defense as well. Curry and Ellis are probably one of the worst backcourt tandems in the league due to their size. Rodney Stuckey and Richard Hamilton basically embarassed this backcourt. The pair had 48 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds between them in a win against the W's. Curry and Ellis had 34, 8 and 10 in that game.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:01 pm
I just hope Jerry West can find a talent like Kobe Bryant and has the altitude to want to improve his game each season. This team right now is just a lower seed playoff. Even if you add depth which is mostly consist of backup players who needs to buy in the row where they are going to do the little things every time they get on the court. They have to find a center who wants to play defense protect the paint and not get foul trouble at a high rate which is really difficult to do.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:45 pm
1. Is Curry really a point guard or is he better suited to play the 2?

2. If Curry is better suited to play the 2, should it be he or Ellis that is traded?

3. With Jerry West now here, the team finally has somebody in the front office who knows what he is doing. Nelson, Twardzik, St. Jean, Mullin, and Riley kept getting progressively worse. I have been advocating on this board that the team should bring in a real front office person for years now (got bashed and flamed by many for having this belief; but, it is now all water under the bridge).

4. The Warriors now finally have a chance to be built to possibly compete with the upper echelon teams of the NBA. No more tricks, gimmicks, and reactionary and stupid moves.

Go Warriors!
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:48 pm
IMO...
uptempo wrote:1. Is Curry really a point guard or is he better suited to play the 2?
Curry is too small and un-athletic to to be a 2, but if he doesn't get the TOs under control and start making better decisions (which i believe he will) he wont be more than backup PG that will be called in to spark the offense.
uptempo wrote:2. If Curry is better suited to play the 2, should it be he or Ellis that is traded?
Either player should only be traded for at least close to equal value at a need position (or a real 2) or if we have a better option at 2. I'm getting pissed off that everyone says we should trade one of these guys... FOR WHO!?! And TO WHO!?! We should just trade one of our two best players because they play the same position!? I haven't heard of any teams beating down the door to give us a 7 footer or good defensive SG.
uptempo wrote:3. With Jerry West now here, the team finally has somebody in the front office who knows what he is doing. Nelson, Twardzik, St. Jean, Mullin, and Riley kept getting progressively worse. I have been advocating on this board that the team should bring in a real front office person for years now (got bashed and flamed by many for having this belief; but, it is now all water under the bridge).
It's been publicly said, on several occasions that Nelson was intentionally left out of the FO side of things during his last stint. I don't care if Nelly was the biggest egomaniac, drunk/high all of the time, senile and crappin in his pampers - the HC should be involved at all times. I think Riley has been underrated as our GM and that Mullin was grossly overrated. It does appear that things are looking up, or at least we are going about things in the correct manor. I still love the fact that this owner group was able to bring in the coveted Myers and convince Riley to stick around and train his eventual replacement.
uptempo wrote:4. The Warriors now finally have a chance to be built to possibly compete with the upper echelon teams of the NBA. No more tricks, gimmicks, and reactionary and stupid moves.
Yeah, there is no way West coming in can be a negative. This team will get better.
uptempo wrote:Go Warriors!
This. :cheers:
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:05 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Not sure that you can say this backcourt produces more than any other backcourt tandem. When talk about production, we're not just talking about scoring points but defense as well. Curry and Ellis are probably one of the worst backcourt tandems in the league due to their size. Rodney Stuckey and Richard Hamilton basically embarassed this backcourt. The pair had 48 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds between them in a win against the W's. Curry and Ellis had 34, 8 and 10 in that game.

For the most part we outproduce other back courts. Making others adjust to us is something you always want to have, and right now that is the only advantage we have. Defensilvely our backcourt gets absolutely abused on some occasions, but name me a backcourt that consistently shuts down opposing backcourts and I guarantee you they have a legitimate defensive frontcourt behind them. Dorrell Wright is often our best shotblocking threat and he's usually on the perimeter. For the last time, the rules in the NBA are designed to benefit gaurds. It's why Jason Kidd says that playing PG is easier than ever at close to 40, and NBA PGs have been quoted as saying it is easier to play guard in the NBA than college. Just because JJ Reddick or Jameer Nelson don't give up career nights to opposing guards does not mean they are good defenders.

If we don't have 2 legitimate scoring threats that can create offense, we will not get far either. Did you not see what happened to the Grizz without Rudy Gay? Or what is happening to the Thunder and Bulls when they go with defensive oriented lineups down the stretch of games?

Honestly I think the only way we can break up this backcourt and get better is if we are getting an allstar bigman in return. And that's not gonna happen.
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:25 pm
JREED wrote:IMO...
uptempo wrote:1. Is Curry really a point guard or is he better suited to play the 2?
Curry is too small and un-athletic to to be a 2, but if he doesn't get the TOs under control and start making better decisions (which i believe he will) he wont be more than backup PG that will be called in to spark the offense.
uptempo wrote:2. If Curry is better suited to play the 2, should it be he or Ellis that is traded?
Either player should only be traded for at least close to equal value at a need position (or a real 2) or if we have a better option at 2. I'm getting pissed off that everyone says we should trade one of these guys... FOR WHO!?! And TO WHO!?! We should just trade one of our two best players because they play the same position!? I haven't heard of any teams beating down the door to give us a 7 footer or good defensive SG.
uptempo wrote:3. With Jerry West now here, the team finally has somebody in the front office who knows what he is doing. Nelson, Twardzik, St. Jean, Mullin, and Riley kept getting progressively worse. I have been advocating on this board that the team should bring in a real front office person for years now (got bashed and flamed by many for having this belief; but, it is now all water under the bridge).
It's been publicly said, on several occasions that Nelson was intentionally left out of the FO side of things during his last stint. I don't care if Nelly was the biggest egomaniac, drunk/high all of the time, senile and crappin in his pampers - the HC should be involved at all times. I think Riley has been underrated as our GM and that Mullin was grossly overrated. It does appear that things are looking up, or at least we are going about things in the correct manor. I still love the fact that this owner group was able to bring in the coveted Myers and convince Riley to stick around and train his eventual replacement.
uptempo wrote:4. The Warriors now finally have a chance to be built to possibly compete with the upper echelon teams of the NBA. No more tricks, gimmicks, and reactionary and stupid moves.
Yeah, there is no way West coming in can be a negative. This team will get better.

+1.

I agree with JREED on each of his points.
The thing people keep saying is that Monta can't play D at the 2 because he is too small.
But what you need to guard the perimetter is speed and lateral speed, and BBIQ.
He has the speed, but needs a bit of coaching so he stops reaching in and just move his feet.
Monta actually gets around screens really well, and that is important for defense on the perimeter.
The only time size comes in to play is when they try to post him... and truth be told not a whole lot of teams were trying this during the season (playoffs will be different if we make it there).
So until we can make the playoffs, trading Ellis or Curry because of their size to me is ridiculous.
Unless of course, as others have said, you are getting an all-star caliber big in return.

Here is an idea (probably not likely to happen), but with a new coach maybe he can convince people to try is:
1) get a decent SF in FA (T. Prince), move Ellis to PG, D. Wright to SG, and Prince at SF.
Then have Curry coming off the bench as backup PG/SG. That would give us a big boost off the bench and eliminate any size problem with Starting Lineup. Curry and Ellis could still get 30+ minutes each. The forth quarter teams usually go small anyway. So both could be on the floor at different times during the game. I would consider doing this before trading either of them.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

All Star
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:48 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:

+1.

The thing people keep saying is that Monta can't play D at the 2 because he is too small.
He has the speed, but needs a bit of coaching so he stops reaching in and just move his feet.
Monta actually gets around screens really well, and that is important for defense on the perimeter.
The only time size comes in to play is when they try to post him... and truth be told not a whole lot of teams were trying this during the season (playoffs will be different if we make it there).
So until we can make the playoffs, trading Ellis or Curry because of their size to me is ridiculous.
Unless of course, as others have said, you are getting an all-star caliber big in return.

Here is an idea (probably not likely to happen), but with a new coach maybe he can convince people to try is:
1) get a decent SF in FA (T. Prince), move Ellis to PG, D. Wright to SG, and Prince at SF.
Then have Curry coming off the bench as backup PG/SG. That would give us a big boost off the bench and eliminate any size problem with Starting Lineup. Curry and Ellis could still get 30+ minutes each. The forth quarter teams usually go small anyway. So both could be on the floor at different times during the game. I would consider doing this before trading either of them.

Dr. Space and GSW: You guys both make a lot of sense.

By bringing in Jerry West, the team finally has a real thought leader who will give input on how best to build this team. The Nelson, Twardzik, St. Jean, Mullin never ending and recurring nightmare finally seems to be ending. We have some of the best fans in all of basketball and we deserved a better product on the floor.

Cohan: Gone! Mullin: Gone! Nelson: Gone! All the garbage has been taken out, and this is good. If anything, the most important housekeeping has been done...finally. It is now time for ownership and the front office to put into place its strategic plan and really build this franchise. Getting a coach in here who will be on board with the direction that the ownership group and the front office is heading will be crucial.

It is really exciting to be a Golden State Warriors fan!
All Star
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:49 pm
uptempo wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:

+1.

Dr. Space and GSW: You guys both make a lot of sense.

By bringing in Jerry West, the team finally has a real thought leader who will give input on how best to build this team. The Nelson, Twardzik, St. Jean, Mullin never ending and recurring nightmare finally seems to be ending. We have some of the best fans in all of basketball and we deserved a better product on the floor.

Cohan: Gone! Mullin: Gone! Nelson: Gone! All the garbage has been taken out, and this is good. If anything, the most important housekeeping has been done...finally. It is now time for ownership and the front office to put into place its strategic plan and really build this franchise. Getting a coach in here who will be on board with the direction that the ownership group and the front office is heading will be crucial.

It is really exciting to be a Golden State Warriors fan!

TELL ME ABOUT IT!

it's the first time we've gotten REAL hope... every year i feel like all of us get this false sense of hope, but i genuinely and sincerely feel like we are turning things around... im sure i speak for everyone when i say that the culture of losing is definitely out the door and a sense of winning is showing itself through our doors...

thank you basketball gods...i mean it... thank you so much....

Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:14 pm
8th ave wrote:
Raider1015 wrote:The Myers hire was praised by everyone in the industry as brilliant. He's got super-close ties to Arn Tellem and the gang, which is basically a backdoor to every worthwhile free agent on the market. Jerry West is a super amazing respectability hire, but his name means more to fans than his presence will to actually winning free agents. Still, definitely worth being happy about. Now just hope they get the right coach.

I was mistaken. People around the league say this is a clever hire--I say it's a great hire. Getting agents on your side for negotiations when you historically struggle to lure any worthwhile free agents is brilliant. And Myers is extremely well regarded in his circles.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:15 am
Did anyone listen to the Jerry West interview on the Jim Rome show?

He spoke highly of our back court and stated that the challenge for this team is to improve the front court. He also commented on how he loved Monta's toughness.

The guy comes across so confident and competent that I am almost in disbelief that he is associated with the Warriors.

We fans now have some hope.

Go Warriors!
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:37 pm
Raider1015 wrote:
8th ave wrote:

I was mistaken. People around the league say this is a clever hire--I say it's a great hire. Getting agents on your side for negotiations when you historically struggle to lure any worthwhile free agents is brilliant. And Myers is extremely well regarded in his circles.

would you mind giving some links where some people around the league is saying that myers was a clever hire? im not doubting you or anything, i just want to see them so that i can believe what you believe... maybe referencing a sports show/radio that you heard it from?

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 pm
uptempo wrote:Did anyone listen to the Jerry West interview on the Jim Rome show?

He spoke highly of our back court and stated that the challenge for this team is to improve the front court. He also commented on how he loved Monta's toughness.

The guy comes across so confident and competent that I am almost in disbelief that he is associated with the Warriors.

We fans now have some hope.

Go Warriors!

From the summaries of West's interview that I've heard, he agrees with most sensible posters that have been saying we do not need to break up our back court. He says our undersized backcourt is not our problem. Our undersized frontcourt is the problem. Hopefully he is patient enough to test this theory thoroughly.
Get Money. Get Paid.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball