NBA Draft 2011

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:48 am
I could see his upside as Peja Stojakovic...he can shoot over most SFs, if he improves his long distance shooting. But remember Tim Hardaway was a crappy outside shooter as a rookie and he was able to improve on that. Vesely needs to add some muscle though or else he won't be much good as a rebounder.

Guybrush wrote:
hummbabybear wrote:I hope they draft Jan Vesely.

The kid is playing for Partizan Belgrade, so I had a lot of chance to watch him play. He is a talented guy, but I got a feeling that he never had a great game when it was against bigger European teams or important matches. He's really athletic, but he's not the best shooter, and he is good at defense, but sometimes it looks like he disappears. Still needs a lot of work, in my opinion, and I'm not sure that he'll have a big impact in NBA...at least not immediately. Much like Darko Milicic. I was against the idea of Darko going out to the NBA that early, he was still really unpolished, even though he did have a great amount of potential. In the end, he wasted a lot of years in Detroit and never became a player he could have been.

I have the same feeling about Vesely, just with less potential, and a bit less chance to fail as well.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:09 pm
Just because it is Friday, and I was burnt out at work, i went online to espn and found the mock draft simulator:
http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2011/mockdraft

I clicked on "Play Lottery" and this happened!:

lottery dream.jpg
lottery dream.jpg (92.29 KiB) Viewed 753 times

I can only DREAM that this is an omen of what will happen in two weeks.
The play lotto simulates the exact chances in this years draft lottery... so I had .8% of getting this result!
And it happened on first try.... [-o<
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:23 pm
Derrick Williams and Stephen Curry in a three year stretch would be up there with the Thunder for fortuitous draft classes.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:35 am
To be honest, I think Irving will be a better player than Curry will ever be. I could be wrong, but that's the risk you take. if we did get the number 1 pick, i would get Irving, and trade Curry to Minnesota for their pick (they need a pg bad). Then go get D williams or Kanter.

Thats how GM crackerz would play it.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:16 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:To be honest, I think Irving will be a better player than Curry will ever be. I could be wrong, but that's the risk you take. if we did get the number 1 pick, i would get Irving, and trade Curry to Minnesota for their pick (they need a pg bad). Then go get D williams or Kanter.

Thats how GM crackerz would play it.

You know that too good to happen the GSW getting the number one pick and they pick up Irving a PG who can run the team. They'll probably mess that pick up if they get the number one pick. It also depends if the franchise wants to keep on develop Curry as a PG who can run the team or think in the end he is just an undersize SG who can make few plays, but mainly he just a scorer. If they GSW want to make the playoffs Curry needs to improve his PG skills become a Pass First PG(setting up easy baskets for his teammates) and score when he has to. How long will that develop, or get Kyrie Irving who many said he a PG who setup his teammates.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:47 am
Or get Derrick Williams and have our future starter at SF wrapped up.

Curry
Ellis
Williams
Lee
Udoh

thats playoffs mothafudga.

As much as I LOVE Irving [and yes, he is more of a PG than Curry and has more potential... I think he'll be a 20 and 10 guy for his career] ... Idk if I wanna have to start rebuilding because of him .... plus his toe.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:01 pm
Depending on who has the second pick, and how bad they need a PG, is how you make the choice, but Williams would be a far better fit for the team. If we got the #1 pick though we could possibly get something extra if there's a team in love with Irving.

Williams would be such a beast on this team, and would probably be good enough of a two way player that we actually would trade Monta or Curry for an SG like Iguodala. We'd still be undersized at C, but with wings the size of Williams and Iguodala, you could have Lee defend C's and Udoh defend PFs.

However, where we're more likely to pick I think we're better off getting Marcus Morris or Kawhi Leonard. Morris would be a beast, although Leonard may be the better fit. Leonard would give us a lengthy defender who can always focus on guarding he other teams best wing, and is also a great rebounder at the SF position who has a nose for the ball and is tough. He has arguably less offensive game than Dorrell as neither are good creators, and Dorrell is a better outside shooter, but Leonard is being compared to an Artest like defender and rebounder by GMs. Plus he is athletic enough to get out on the break and finish. However, the thing is the chances of him having a huge impact on defense right away are unlikely as defense takes a while to grasp in the NBA, especially if you're going to be asked to guard the best wings in the NBA night in and night out.

I also like the idea of getting Darius Morris in the 2nd round as he improved a lot this year while still young, is a pure PG and can defend some SGs.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:02 am
Since this is PAC-10 land, I think the people here who are into NCAA basketball got some good looks at Derrick Williams. Being a Cal alumni, I follow the PAC-10(12) just as much as the next guy and I"m one of those guys that weren't that impressed with Derrick Williams. I see people comparing him to David West or Michael Beasley and I'm not sure those are great things, let a lone being a #1 overall pick. Williams doesn't have the ball handling or shot creating skills of a Michael Beasley. He doesn't have the post skills of a David West nor the jump shot. The player that he most resembles is NJ's version of Kenyon Martin. This draft reminds me of 2008s when everyone thought Beasley would go first but the Bulls ended up drafting Derrick Rose which has turned out to be the better decision. Good combo forwards are much easier to find than potential star point guard.

If they Warriors miraculously wins the lottery, then I would much rather take Kyrie Irving. He's a pure point guard which is what this team needs. I would then trade both Ellis and try and get rid of Biedrin's contract by combining it with a valued player like Curry.

Send Stephen Curry and Andris Biedrins to the Hawks for Josh Smith. The Hawks need a point guard and Curry is one that fits right in with Joe Johnson. Andris Biedrins moves Al Horford to the PF spot and Marvin Williams starts at SF.

Then move Monta Ellis to the Sixers for Evan Turner, Lou Williams and Mareese Speights. I think with the Sixers making the playoffs, that they'll be looking to build upon their core which is Iguodala and Holiday. Adding a scorer like Ellis would improve their team.

Now they'd need a center and would have about $8M to spend on one in free agency as well as the mid level exception. DeAndre Jordan comes to mind but he may cost a tad more than $8M a year and so would Marc Gasol. Even for an injured Greg Oden, it looks as if the Blazers will offer him 4 and $40M. They can draft someone like a Keith Benson in the second round. A 7 foot center with first round potential. Has been compared to JaVale McGee. Now they can re-sign some of their own free agents like Reggie Williams and Al Thornton.

Line up

PG Kyrie Irving - Lou Williams - Jeremy Lin
SG Evan Turner - Reggie Williams - Charlie Bell
SF Josh Smith - Dorell Wright - Al Thornton
PF David Lee - Mareese Speights
C Ekpe Udoh - Lou Amundson - Keith Benson
All Star
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:04 pm
Do we have any realistic fans left? You guys make it seem like we're playing 2k11. Like really, theres a reason this site has little to no traffic and I'm beginning to think people skimming through and seeing these fantasy trades might be changing their interest in the forum. Oh well, who cares.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:34 pm
One thing I like there, though, is drafting Benson in the second. With or without the trades before that, I think Benson would be a good choice for us in the second round.

I don't even wanna think of us getting the first pick, cause I guess I have more chance of becoming a Jedi than Warriors getting the first pick overall.

And also, the best pick for us in the first round would probably be Leonard. Realistically, at least, cause we're gonna pic somewhere around the position where he would be the best choice. Leonard and Benson, I would consider that a good draft for us.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:26 pm
I'm with you Guy, Leonard all the way. If not him, Biyombo or Marcus Morris.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:39 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Since this is PAC-10 land, I think the people here who are into NCAA basketball got some good looks at Derrick Williams. Being a Cal alumni, I follow the PAC-10(12) just as much as the next guy and I"m one of those guys that weren't that impressed with Derrick Williams. I see people comparing him to David West or Michael Beasley and I'm not sure those are great things, let a lone being a #1 overall pick. Williams doesn't have the ball handling or shot creating skills of a Michael Beasley. He doesn't have the post skills of a David West nor the jump shot. The player that he most resembles is NJ's version of Kenyon Martin. This draft reminds me of 2008s when everyone thought Beasley would go first but the Bulls ended up drafting Derrick Rose which has turned out to be the better decision. Good combo forwards are much easier to find than potential star point guard.

If they Warriors miraculously wins the lottery, then I would much rather take Kyrie Irving. He's a pure point guard which is what this team needs. I would then trade both Ellis and try and get rid of Biedrin's contract by combining it with a valued player like Curry.

Send Stephen Curry and Andris Biedrins to the Hawks for Josh Smith. The Hawks need a point guard and Curry is one that fits right in with Joe Johnson. Andris Biedrins moves Al Horford to the PF spot and Marvin Williams starts at SF.

Then move Monta Ellis to the Sixers for Evan Turner, Lou Williams and Mareese Speights. I think with the Sixers making the playoffs, that they'll be looking to build upon their core which is Iguodala and Holiday. Adding a scorer like Ellis would improve their team.

Now they'd need a center and would have about $8M to spend on one in free agency as well as the mid level exception. DeAndre Jordan comes to mind but he may cost a tad more than $8M a year and so would Marc Gasol. Even for an injured Greg Oden, it looks as if the Blazers will offer him 4 and $40M. They can draft someone like a Keith Benson in the second round. A 7 foot center with first round potential. Has been compared to JaVale McGee. Now they can re-sign some of their own free agents like Reggie Williams and Al Thornton.

Line up

PG Kyrie Irving - Lou Williams - Jeremy Lin
SG Evan Turner - Reggie Williams - Charlie Bell
SF Josh Smith - Dorell Wright - Al Thornton
PF David Lee - Mareese Speights
C Ekpe Udoh - Lou Amundson - Keith Benson

Good looking out..didn't know there were any Cal alums here...graduated from there in 2005!
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:37 pm
Knightofoceans wrote:Good looking out..didn't know there were any Cal alums here...graduated from there in 2005!

I graduated in 1994 so I'm quite a bit older. I miss going to those basketball games. I was there when Kidd, Murray and Stewart took the Bears to the Sweet 16. That game against Duke was awesome. Kidd vs. Hurley and Murray held his own against Grant Hill.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:52 pm
I would focus this years draft in one player, Leonard. If i could draft him, i would go for Nene or Oden in FA, and try to trade Monta for iguodala. If i couldn't i would go for Jonas Valanciunas, then trade Monta for Iguodala, and try for a starting SF on the FA. Anyway with Lee and Udoh in the team i wouldn't go for a PF in the draft. And i don't want to hear anyone say that Udoh can play center. I don't want to see small ball again on Warriors ever. Everybody including him say that he is weak for a PF. He personally said that he will work all summer to gain strength and muscles. To compete as a PF that is.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:37 pm
Interesting/Unlikely scenario:
Bimbo + Udoh patrolling paint, add a SF thru FA, and with Monta and Steph and Lee already set: bam playoffs

Probable scenario:
Leonard in draft, Nene (FA) and Udoh patrolling paint: playoffs again

btw, any chance of Nolan Smith dropping to second round?
~LilBallerx~

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball