Dwight Howard for Stephen Curry

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Which player would be better for the Warriors longterm?

Dwight Howard
87%
Stephen Curry
13%

Total votes : 15

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:08 pm
Sorry if this trade rumor has been covered elsewhere... But I was listening to ESPN award winning podcast show "The B.S Report" hosted by Bill Simmons.

Dwight Howards name was floated in the same manner of Carmelo offseason of 2010 & how he might asked to be traded to certain franchise, Bill ellaborated that Golden State could be major players for Dwights services if we offered up Stephen Curry (Dwight wants to play in a big market)

My Question is would you trade our top 5 PG in the league for the best Centre on the planet? Obviously it'd have to be a package from GS to get Dwight out here. But I would do this trade in a heartbeat... We could move Monta to the point & then find a big physical shooting guard to play alongside Ellis.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:13 pm
PAWNO wrote:Sorry if this trade rumor has been covered elsewhere... But I was listening to ESPN award winning podcast show "The B.S Report" hosted by Bill Simmons.

Dwight Howards name was floated in the same manner of Carmelo offseason of 2010 & how he might asked to be traded to certain franchise, Bill ellaborated that Golden State could be major players for Dwights services if we offered up Stephen Curry (Dwight wants to play in a big market)

My Question is would you trade our top 5 PG in the league for the best Centre on the planet? Obviously it'd have to be a package from GS to get Dwight out here. But I would do this trade in a heartbeat... We could move Monta to the point & then find a big physical shooting guard to play alongside Ellis.

Curry is not top 5 pg in the league. Maybe in 3-5 years he can be a top 5 PG, a coach who can teach him how to make good decisions anytime during the game and willing to let him make mistakes for those period of time. I don't doubt his scoring like Westbrook and Rose, but his decision making is inconsistent just like Rose and Westbrook. Orlando not going to do straight up trade for Curry and Howard they want more valuable pieces than that.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:43 pm
fullmetalx wrote:. Orlando not going to do straight up trade for Curry and Howard they want more valuable pieces than that.

I never said straight up bro...

My Question is would you trade our top 5 PG in the league for the best Centre on the planet? Obviously it'd have to be a package from GS to get Dwight out h

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:21 am
I would personally do the trade. Orlando will be asking for more players, but they wont be asking for the house. Dwight has shown signs that he doesnt want to stay in Orlando forever, so the Magic need to be cautious in dealing with other teams. If they attract no suiters, they end up getting nothing if however goes via free agency (remember Shaq ).

I've also heard that the lakers are thinking about sending bynum and lamar odem, draft picks for howard.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:22 am
Dwight Howard is set to make $17M next season. Steph Curry would have to be packaged with a big contract like Lee or Ellis and probably some first round draft picks. Unfortunately, the Warriors first round picks for the next couple of years are spoken for thanks to the Marcus Williams trade. They'll be mortgaging all their young players away and bascially be rebuilding.

The only packaged I'd like is Monta Ellis, Stephen Curry, Andris Biedrins and Ekpe Udoh for Dwight Howard, Chris Duhon, Daniel Orton and Brandon Bass. This gives the Warriors depth in the front court and a David Lee and Howard tandem. If they can get someone like Wilson Chandler for about $7M a year, they'd still have the MLE to grab a $5.6M veteran player. Someone like a Shane Battier.

They focus on a point guard in the draft passing up guys like Jimmer Fredette. A guy I really like is Darius Morris from Michigan. A pure point guard with a pass first mentality. He has great size at 6'4 and has Jason Kidd type qualities with his vision and leadership. An excellent ball handler and potentially a tough defender.

Line up:

PG Darius Morris - Chris Duhon - Jeremy Lin
SG Dorell Wright - Reggie Williams - Charlie Bell
SF Wilson Chandler - Shane Battier
PF David Lee - Brandon Bass
C Dwight Howard - Daniel Orton - Lou Amundson

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:42 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Dwight Howard is set to make $17M next season. Steph Curry would have to be packaged with a big contract like Lee or Ellis and probably some first round draft picks. Unfortunately, the Warriors first round picks for the next couple of years are spoken for thanks to the Marcus Williams trade. They'll be mortgaging all their young players away and bascially be rebuilding.

The only packaged I'd like is Monta Ellis, Stephen Curry, Andris Biedrins and Ekpe Udoh for Dwight Howard, Chris Duhon, Daniel Orton and Brandon Bass. This gives the Warriors depth in the front court and a David Lee and Howard tandem. If they can get someone like Wilson Chandler for about $7M a year, they'd still have the MLE to grab a $5.6M veteran player. Someone like a Shane Battier.

They focus on a point guard in the draft passing up guys like Jimmer Fredette. A guy I really like is Darius Morris from Michigan. A pure point guard with a pass first mentality. He has great size at 6'4 and has Jason Kidd type qualities with his vision and leadership. An excellent ball handler and potentially a tough defender.

Line up:

To be honest, this team that you have created BayAreaHoopz might be worse than what we have now. No shooters and all for a guy that will be gone after 1 season (Dwight wouldn't re-sign with this roster).
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:48 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Dwight Howard is set to make $17M next season. Steph Curry would have to be packaged with a big contract like Lee or Ellis and probably some first round draft picks. Unfortunately, the Warriors first round picks for the next couple of years are spoken for thanks to the Marcus Williams trade. They'll be mortgaging all their young players away and bascially be rebuilding.

Line up:

Migya, is that you? Lol.

and Curry is like .. the 8th or 9th ranked PG. the top 5 [no order]

Rose
Westbrook
Paul
Williams
Nash

others that could be ahead

Rondo
John Wall [more of a point guard thus far in his career]
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:52 pm
I think Dwight would sign with us..

His major driving factor hasn't been about championship, It's been about big market.
Oakland is becoming a legitamite big market again with Chris Cohen out and the new bozos running the ship.

As much as David Lee/Monta Ellis have had defensive issues, can you imagine how staunch we would be playing zone and having Dwight as help defense in the paint. Lee/Ellis would not get ripped like they currently do because Dwight is doing the dirtywork behind them.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:02 pm
PAWNO wrote:I think Dwight would sign with us..

His major driving factor hasn't been about championship, It's been about big market.
Oakland is becoming a legitamite big market again with Chris Cohen out and the new bozos running the ship.

As much as David Lee/Monta Ellis have had defensive issues, can you imagine how staunch we would be playing zone and having Dwight as help defense in the paint. Lee/Ellis would not get ripped like they currently do because Dwight is doing the dirtywork behind them.

trust me, why would dwight wanna come to warriors if we dont have a pg who can work pick-and-roll with him, obviously stephen curry and dwight gonna be a sick combo, if we trade away curry what is the point -__-
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:11 pm
He could easily do pick and roll with Monta, if we trade Curry. Or, maybe they would want Monta instead of Curry to be in that trade, so, either way, Dwight would have a PG with who he would be able to do pick and roll.

Only problem would be if Orlando wanted both Curry and Ellis to be involved in a trade.

And even so, we could draft a solid PG, there are a few guys worth taking even this year.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:14 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Line up:

To be honest, this team that you have created BayAreaHoopz might be worse than what we have now. No shooters and all for a guy that will be gone after 1 season (Dwight wouldn't re-sign with this roster).

If he wants to come in the first place (which I would like, but I highly doubt it), why wouldn't he want to stay longer, if our owners prove to him that they have a good plan, and that they are willing to invest in a team, and make us contenders?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:35 pm
Guybrush wrote:He could easily do pick and roll with Monta, if we trade Curry. Or, maybe they would want Monta instead of Curry to be in that trade, so, either way, Dwight would have a PG with who he would be able to do pick and roll.

Only problem would be if Orlando wanted both Curry and Ellis to be involved in a trade.

And even so, we could draft a solid PG, there are a few guys worth taking even this year.

i don't think Orlando would want to take on our problem (undersized backcourt in Curry/Ellis)

I think we could package Curry/Dorrell Wright & draft picks and it'd be a done deal... There'd need to be another contract in there to make things balance... But i'd only do the deal if Dwight puts pen to paper.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:13 am
PAWNO wrote:
Guybrush wrote:He could easily do pick and roll with Monta, if we trade Curry. Or, maybe they would want Monta instead of Curry to be in that trade, so, either way, Dwight would have a PG with who he would be able to do pick and roll.

i don't think Orlando would want to take on our problem (undersized backcourt in Curry/Ellis)

I think we could package Curry/Dorrell Wright & draft picks and it'd be a done deal... There'd need to be another contract in there to make things balance... But i'd only do the deal if Dwight puts pen to paper.

unfortunately the salaries dont match up with curry/dorrell... unless the magic are willing to take beans as well, along with someone like Udoh, then they simply wont accept it.

Or, there is always substituting CUrry with Ellis, which will solve the salary problem, but if we did go after dwight, we would need a big name scorer. Ellis cn do that. Curry is still undetermined.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:27 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:To be honest, this team that you have created BayAreaHoopz might be worse than what we have now. No shooters and all for a guy that will be gone after 1 season (Dwight wouldn't re-sign with this roster).

No shooters might not be a bad thing. The reason why this team was so predictable was that they didn't have an inside presence and lived on outside jumpers. If the jumpers are falling, then they're a tough team to beat, but those games are few. Dorell Wright shot the 3 pointer at 38%. Not horrific considering he led the league in 3 point attempts and shot nearly 30 more than the person behind him (Jason Richardson). Not great either, but its enough to keep teams honest. If all you want are shooters as a team, might as well get make a line up of Steph Curry, Kyle Kover, Peja Stojakovic, Matt Bonner and Dirk Nowitzki. There is more to basketball than shooting. Ever heard of "defense wins championships"? Well, it wins games as well. Wright would be a good defender at the SG position. Chandler is a tough defender. Howard won the defensive player of the year 3 seasons in a row.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:43 pm
Whether or not he'd WANT to play here would depend on who our coach is and who we would have to give up. Regardless I don't think we have the right package of picks/players to get Dwight and still have a competitive team.
Think of how much the Knicks had to give up to get Melo. You don't think Orlando is going to demand as much, if not more. Besides Lebron and maybe Durant, I can't think of a player who would demand more in a trade that Dwight. Not to mention that whoever trades for Dwight is most likely gonna have to take on Arenas's max salary which will be crippling under the new cap, unless it allows teams to release players.

If we want to trade for an elite defensive C, we're much wiser to go after Bogut. The Bucks took on some terrible contracts that are likely to waste his prime, so they are going to need to go into rebuild mode soon. This plus, Milwaukee is not the easiest place to attract free agents, so either Monta or Curry would be huge for them, and a brand new face of the franchise. Would hate to give up Monta to get him though, as I'd love to see what our team could do with a legitimate Center.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball