Trade Monta or Curry

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Who should the W's trade

Monta
7
28%
Curry
2
8%
Both
4
16%
Neither
12
48%
 
Total votes : 25

User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:03 am
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:15 pm
Last time i looked at our roster we had no star players. Star player is an all star caliber player. The only one who ever got close was Monta. That explains the fact we didn't make the playoffs in a good, in term of injuries, year. Portland made the playoffs without Roy and Oden.
Image

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:40 am
Location: Hollywood
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:29 pm
Monta is a star, and trading him would be us not learning from our past mistakes. Lets build some chemistry before we blow up the team.

Rookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:20 am
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:07 pm
TRON wrote:Last time i looked at our roster we had no star players. Star player is an all star caliber player. The only one who ever got close was Monta. That explains the fact we didn't make the playoffs in a good, in term of injuries, year. Portland made the playoffs without Roy and Oden.


Don't believe the hype that you have to make an All Star game to be a star player. If you don't consider Monta All Star Caliber, then the only 2 shooting guards in the league that are is Kobe and Wade. No other shooting guard matched Monta's production this year and you have to start comparing Monta to point guards before you find similar performers. Third best shooting guard in the league, hands down.

In terms of the question, trading either of them for a horrible large player does not make us better because we got someone 3 inches taller. You better ensure you get better with any trade. Bigger does not equal better. Otherwise their are plenty of large guards all over the world we can bring in.

The key is to add the right depth to cover this teams weaknesses and allow our strengths to thrive. You don't just trade your best players for the sake of trading them.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:03 am
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:46 am
Monta is negative in defense. You can't look only the point's per game and other numbers and say a player is an all star. When you have a player in the top Five in the league in offense and at the same time in the bottom five in defense the result is a good role player. Monta in a serious team is a threat coming of the bench. Or if you want to go along with him as your main threat from the back court, you need two defense oriented players at point and sf to compliment his lack of defense. But with an other non factor in defense like Curry beside him, it's a recipe for disaster. The only remaining option's is to turn your team to the next Suns. That may result if successful in a team fun to watch, maybe playoff caliber, but if you you ever win a championship i will be an astronaut.
Image

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Los Anyeles, CA
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:43 am
TRON wrote:Monta is negative in defense. You can't look only the point's per game and other numbers and say a player is an all star. When you have a player in the top Five in the league in offense and at the same time in the bottom five in defense the result is a good role player. Monta in a serious team is a threat coming of the bench. Or if you want to go along with him as your main threat from the back court, you need two defense oriented players at point and sf to compliment his lack of defense. But with an other non factor in defense like Curry beside him, it's a recipe for disaster. The only remaining option's is to turn your team to the next Suns. That may result if successful in a team fun to watch, maybe playoff caliber, but if you you ever win a championship i will be an astronaut.


The thing is he is not bottom 5 in defense. If you watch him, closely he is an average at worst man to man defender. He may get burned, but he gets a lot of steals (3rd in the league and leading ALL SG's (But you're right he can't guard any)). and has forced some of the games top offensive guards into some of their worst games. If Monta and Curry had any type of shot blocking threat behind them, they'd look much better on defense as opponents would be forced into more jump shooting and put us in less foul trouble. You think the reason that other PGs and SGs go off on them might have something a little more to do with Radmonovich playing PF than Curry and Monta getting burned off the dribble (guards burning other guards off the dribble is EASY in the NBA. Jason Kidd said it is easier for him to do now close to 40 than it was when he was in his 20s, and other PGs have said playing PG is easier in some ways in the NBA than NCAA). Defense is a team oriented part of the game and Monta and Curry (Monta especially) actually do a pretty good job in playing the team defense we ask them to playing the lanes and double teaming to force turnovers. It's not their fault we have crappy rotations with where David Lee will not even attempt to block the shot with hopes that it will miss so he can get the rebound.

And as far as being a team like the Suns, they were an Amare Stoudemire suspension away from winning an NBA finals, so I would say it's possible, and that's with even less defense than a capable coach can get us playing.
Get Money. Get Paid.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:34 pm
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:54 am
Monta a star player? When you say star player, you're putting him in the same boat as a Lebron James or Kobe Bryant. Nowitzki, Gasol, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul and Kevin Durant are star players. Monta isn't in the same league as any of those players. Then you have the next tier of borderline star players like Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose. 3 Guys I would take over Monta any day and twice on most.

This is this team's problem and fans just don't want to realize it. This team's best player is a 6'3 SG that is one-dimensional (scoring). Teams have players like that named Leandro Barbosa, Ramon Sessions, Jason Terry, Gerald Henderson, Louis Williams, OJ Mayo, Eddie House and Delonte West. All of them are bench players. You give those guys 40+ minutes a game and 20+ shots, I think they can average 22 points per game. Lou Wiliams, per 48 minutes points per game is 28.2 which is compared to Ellis' 28.7.

Ellis gets 3 steals a game, but he gambles and misses on much more. His idea of defense is swiping at a ball and if he doesn't get it, he just stands there and watch. Just watch Ellis on defense in this highlight of a Heat game..Pay attention at 1:13 of the video. No effort at all.

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:07 pm
Location: Look behind you
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:19 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Then you have the next tier of borderline star players like Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose. 3 Guys I would take over Monta any day and twice on most.



I stopped reading after this.
~LilBallerx~

Image
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:34 pm
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:46 pm
LilBallerx8 wrote:
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Then you have the next tier of borderline star players like Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose. 3 Guys I would take over Monta any day and twice on most.



I stopped reading after this.



Are you saying that you would take Ellis over any of those guys? I bet if you offered Monta straight up for any of those players, the Thunder, Celtics and Bulls would laugh their ass off.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:55 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:
LilBallerx8 wrote:
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Then you have the next tier of borderline star players like Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose. 3 Guys I would take over Monta any day and twice on most.



I stopped reading after this.



Are you saying that you would take Ellis over any of those guys? I bet if you offered Monta straight up for any of those players, the Thunder, Celtics and Bulls would laugh their ass off.


lol... he's saying that drose aint no borderline star player...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 930
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:24 pm
Location: Rock Island, WA
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:41 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Monta a star player? When you say star player, you're putting him in the same boat as a Lebron James or Kobe Bryant. Nowitzki, Gasol, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul and Kevin Durant are star players. Monta isn't in the same league as any of those players. Then you have the next tier of borderline star players like Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose. 3 Guys I would take over Monta any day and twice on most.

This is this team's problem and fans just don't want to realize it. This team's best player is a 6'3 SG that is one-dimensional (scoring). Teams have players like that named Leandro Barbosa, Ramon Sessions, Jason Terry, Gerald Henderson, Louis Williams, OJ Mayo, Eddie House and Delonte West. All of them are bench players. You give those guys 40+ minutes a game and 20+ shots, I think they can average 22 points per game. Lou Wiliams, per 48 minutes points per game is 28.2 which is compared to Ellis' 28.7.

Ellis gets 3 steals a game, but he gambles and misses on much more. His idea of defense is swiping at a ball and if he doesn't get it, he just stands there and watch. Just watch Ellis on defense in this highlight of a Heat game..Pay attention at 1:13 of the video. No effort at all.



LOL absolutely NO ONE was playing defense in that clip...they were like..."whoop, go ahead to the basket, I'll watch and hope you don't make it!"
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:03 am
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:24 am
If we continue to play defense like this we have to change our name. And nobody want's to change the team. Or you believe that we are going to find a cyclops, plant him in the paint, and he will play defense for all the team, problem solved. Defense is a team effort. Much more than offense. Every team on the floor try to pass their way through your defense, or break it with an individual play. And both our guards make the second option ridiculously easy. Not to mention Lee.
Image

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:34 pm
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:54 am
Yes, defense is a team effort for the most part, but what does that say for Ellis' leadership skills? The guy is suppose to be the the man here and his effort, even though can be futile at times, will have to exceed everyone elses. I can live with a player putting major effort in, but just can't get the job done than a guy that puts no effort in at all.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron