All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:06 am
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6437202
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm
via ESPN insider

"Warriors just let go of Smart," he wrote in his Wednesday chat. "Can't say I disagree with them ... but Warriors have more problems than just the coach. Bob Meyers is a good start. Would love to see a coach that could bring some defense to the table."

Thompson adds this via Twitter on Wednesday afternoon: "I'm hearing the Warriors are interested in prying Jerry Sloan out of retirement."

---

Team sources are telling Marcus Thompson II of The Oakland Tribune that Keith Smart's tenure as the Golden State Warriors head coach could be coming to an end in the next few days.

Another source said: "I wouldn't be surprised if he's let go (Wednesday)."

According to Thompson II, Smart said Tuesday that he has not heard from executive vice president of basketball operations Larry Riley and that no meeting has been scheduled.

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

I would cry if we acquired jerry sloan as our coach...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:09 pm
8th ave wrote:via ESPN insider

"Warriors just let go of Smart," he wrote in his Wednesday chat. "Can't say I disagree with them ... but Warriors have more problems than just the coach. Bob Meyers is a good start. Would love to see a coach that could bring some defense to the table."

Thompson adds this via Twitter on Wednesday afternoon: "I'm hearing the Warriors are interested in prying Jerry Sloan out of retirement."

---

Team sources are telling Marcus Thompson II of The Oakland Tribune that Keith Smart's tenure as the Golden State Warriors head coach could be coming to an end in the next few days.

According to Thompson II, Smart said Tuesday that he has not heard from executive vice president of basketball operations Larry Riley and that no meeting has been scheduled.

I'm with you on that...although not likely, it would be a great fit for us.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:39 pm
Knightofoceans wrote:
8th ave wrote:via ESPN insider

---

I'm with you on that...although not likely, it would be a great fit for us.

Im hoping lacob has some kind of connection with sloan so that it makes this job more enticing... if not a connection, i hope he has some super persauding abilities to pry this guy out of retirement and into our head coaching vacanacy...

seriously... if sloan does take this job, i think it'll mark a beginning to a new era...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:26 pm
Apparently some of the requirements Riley and Lacob want in a new coach. Also heard Jerry Sloan is our top choice.

CSNBayArea.com staff

The Warriors held a press conference Wednesday after CSNBayArea.com broke the story that the team would not retain Keith Smart as head coach.

[NEWS: Warriors won't retain Smart as coach]

Jaymee Sire was present at the press conference, and reported the following highlights from the conference via Twitter:

2:44 p.m.
Riley says there is not a budget limit on finding a new Warriors coach.

2:43 p.m.
Larry Riley says improving the defense is top priority when finding a replacement, but the Warriors won't necessarily go after a defensive guru.

2:34 p.m.
Joe Lacob says the Golden State Warriors will look for someone with experience, likely NBA head coaching experience, for the next coach. But they won't limit themselves either.

Read more: Warriors GM: 'No budget limit for new coach'
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story
Get Money. Get Paid.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:22 pm
Great to see the decision to not bring Smart back.

I don't want Sloan, he is too much of a different style in which the roster is not fit for and he is too old and wouldn't be around for that long anyway, so not a long term option

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:26 pm
It not surprising he gone, I mean what did he do to make this team better. Wow a 10 game improvement from 26-36 a D-League team to a average NBA team. That not hard to do and none of the young players get enough consistent playing time during game to develop. He didn't trust the young players to play through the mistakes, but kept playing the starting 5 big mins when none of them are great players. He just had a bad understanding of the roster. He had no excuse because he been with the Warriors for many season now he should understand their strength and weakness. Whoever the next coach is I hope he understand what the roster is about and can adjust his coaching style to the roster. In the end the NBA is about players they are the ones playing offense and defense. The reason Tom Thibodeau and Monty Williams had success was Derrick Rose and Chris Paul. Great PG who have a lot in their game Derrick Rose can score, pass, and play defense(keep his man in front of him and bother his shots) Chris Paul is an elite PG who makes everyone around him better, although he doesn't have the stats for regular season if you watch him play he makes average players on his team become above average when he on the court. I don't think there a player on this roster right now are in the same level as those players.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:42 pm
Yeah, I think releasing Smart was a good decision.

Now the fun of seeing who is selected to coach.
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:49 pm
I still wish he was assistant coach :\
~LilBallerx~

Return to Warriors Basketball