Winning record next season!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:58 am
Oh, yes. Golden State is a good, young basketball team. Next season, they're gonna win over some new fans, guaranteed. The team is second in forcing turnovers, second in 3-point percentage shooting, second in steals, fifth quickest with most possessions, seventh in assists per game, and seventh in points per game. And Ellis, he's a superstar. And Curry, well...

http://www.andOne2.com/2011-04-17/youngins/

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:03 pm
It's great that you've decided to focus on what they do well. But in order to have a winning record you have to fix the things they don't do well. Like defense. Just because they get alot of steals doesnt make them a good defensive team. In fact you could argue that it makes them worse. By taking alot of chances going for steals, it leaves teammates in a vulnerable position defensively . I like Monta but he is not a star. Yet. Until the Warriors become relevent, he won't get recognition, he hasn't even made an All-Star team. Curry has nice potential, but his 2:! Assisnt/TO ratio was terrible for a PG. It needs to be 4:1 if he intends on being considered an elite PG. I think with a better supporting cast and a more experienced coach, Curry will be a fine player. A star? I'm not so sure. Next season will be a big year for him.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:15 pm
malleable wrote:Oh, yes. Golden State is a good, young basketball team. Next season, they're gonna win over some new fans, guaranteed. The team is second in forcing turnovers, second in 3-point percentage shooting, second in steals, fifth quickest with most possessions, seventh in assists per game, and seventh in points per game. And Ellis, he's a superstar. And Curry, well...

http://www.andOne2.com/2011-04-17/youngins/

damn what kinda kush have u been smoking? :banghead: i want some!!
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:20 am
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Ellis isn't a superstar. In fact, many experts don't even have him in their top 25 players in the league, let a lone be a star player. Sure, he's a great scorer, but there is more to being a superstar player than just putting the ball in the basket. Ellis isn't a good defender nor can he guard his position since he's undersized. He isn't a great passer, rebounder and doesn't have that x-factor to make a team significantly better. He's definitely not marketable like a Chris Paul or Lebron James. You'll never see Ellis on a nationally televised game doing an promo for the NBA. Like it or not, that is a sign of a superstar. You won't see Chris Anderson doing many promos either.

A few stats that you failed to mention that is key for this team to win games on a consistent basis:

27th in the league in total defense
19th in rebounding
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:25 am
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble, but Ellis isn't a superstar. In fact, many experts don't even have him in their top 25 players in the league, let a lone be a star player. Sure, he's a great scorer, but there is more to being a superstar player than just putting the ball in the basket. Ellis isn't a good defender nor can he guard his position since he's undersized. He isn't a great passer, rebounder and doesn't have that x-factor to make a team significantly better. He's definitely not marketable like a Chris Paul or Lebron James. You'll never see Ellis on a nationally televised game doing an promo for the NBA. Like it or not, that is a sign of a superstar. You won't see Chris Anderson doing many promos either.

A few stats that you failed to mention that is key for this team to win games on a consistent basis:

19th in rebounding

Really, if those qualities you mention are required to be a superstar, then why is Melo a superstar? All he is, is a great scorer. His defense is not good, his passing is not good, he doesn't do much to help others on the team be better. No, being a superstar in the league requires being on a winning team... and winning the popularity vote.

In my mind, Monta is a star player for all the things he does well. If we can start consistently making it to the playoffs, he will get more recognition.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:09 am
In the 2002/03 season, the Nuggets won a total of 17 games which tied them with Cleveland for being the worst team in the league. The Cavs got Lebron James and Anthony went third in the draft. The very next season, Denver won 43 games and grabbed the final playoff spot in the West. The Nuggets haven't missed the playoff since. Yes, he's defense is nonexistent and he doesn't pass the ball, but he is 4th in the league at his position (SF) in rebounds behind guys like James, Josh Smith and G. Wallace. He has that x-factor I mentioned that Ellis didn't have.

There isn't another 6'3 shooting guard in the league that others would consider a superstar. Why? Because most coaches don't play a 6'3 SG 40+ minutes and let them take 20 shots a game, let alone be a starter. Louis Williams, Jason Terry, Delonte West, Jeff Teague, CJ Watson, Ben Gordon and Leandro Barbosa are just a few other 6'3 SGs in the league. All can score but do very little of eveything else. Barbosa is a better defender, ball handler and shooter than Ellis. Jason Terry is a better overall player than Ellis, yet he's coming off the bench for a playoff team. Experts constantly say that Curry has more value than Ellis. David Lee went from a 20 and 11 guy to a 16 and 9 player with writers predicting that Ellis would take Lee out of the game. The Warriors didn't shell out $12M a year for a 16 and 9 guy that plays very little defense.

An article written after Curry recorded his first triple double last season...

"Curry put up the first 30-10-10 game by a rookie since Kevin Johnson in 1988. His teammates seemed to love the way the ball moved, shots were going up free and easy, the whole deal…

I’ve droned on and on over the last few weeks about the strange circumstance of the W’s offensive statistics being MUCH better when Ellis is out of the game.

I’ve theorized that when Ellis plays, the ball gets stuck in his hands, and everybody else stands around watching, which leads to tentative play if the ball leaves Ellis’ hands.

And when Curry is out there without Ellis, he makes sure the ball moves and he plays more freely himself.

If you watched this game, I think you saw why I think this way.

I’m fairly certain that, in little ways, Don Nelson and Curry each believe that some of this is true–not all of it, of course.

Hard to say what they do about it. They’re going to play Ellis for as long as he remains on this team. They’re going to let him score.

But Curry is going to be the focal point of this team in the future. It may happen sooner rather than later. And that will mean, possibly in the near-future, Ellis will either have to be traded, or he will have to accept a lesser role."

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:16 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble, but Ellis isn't a superstar. In fact, many experts don't even have him in their top 25 players in the league, let a lone be a star player. Sure, he's a great scorer, but there is more to being a superstar player than just putting the ball in the basket. Ellis isn't a good defender nor can he guard his position since he's undersized. He isn't a great passer, rebounder and doesn't have that x-factor to make a team significantly better. He's definitely not marketable like a Chris Paul or Lebron James. You'll never see Ellis on a nationally televised game doing an promo for the NBA. Like it or not, that is a sign of a superstar. You won't see Chris Anderson doing many promos either.

19th in rebounding

Really, if those qualities you mention are required to be a superstar, then why is Melo a superstar? All he is, is a great scorer. His defense is not good, his passing is not good, he doesn't do much to help others on the team be better. No, being a superstar in the league requires being on a winning team... and winning the popularity vote.

In my mind, Monta is a star player for all the things he does well. If we can start consistently making it to the playoffs, he will get more recognition.

I've got a word to describe "Melo". Overrated. He's an elite scorer there is no question about it. But he does little else for his team. He doesn't pass the ball, and he's average at best defensively. You have to remember he came out of Syracuse all hyped up after he went crazy offensively. And when he translated that scoring ability to the NBA, he "blew up" if you will. You have to also consider his supporting cast with bigs in Nene, Martin, Camby, and guys like JR Smith, who've all contributed to the success he's had with the Nuggets. I think if you would have put Ellis on those teams in place of Anthony, they would have had simular success. But Anthony is a perennial All-Star, and Ellis can barely get on the ballot. Oh btw, I enjoyed watching the Knicks struggle after the trade, and get swept in the first round.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:20 pm
warchief wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:

19th in rebounding

I've got a word to describe "Melo". Overrated. He's an elite scorer there is no question about it. But he does little else for his team. He doesn't pass the ball, and he's average at best defensively. You have to remember he came out of Syracuse all hyped up after he went crazy offensively. And when he translated that scoring ability to the NBA, he "blew up" if you will. You have to also consider his supporting cast with bigs in Nene, Martin, Camby, and guys like JR Smith, who've all contributed to the success he's had with the Nuggets. I think if you would have put Ellis on those teams in place of Anthony, they would have had simular success. But Anthony is a perennial All-Star, and Ellis can barely get on the ballot. Oh btw, I enjoyed watching the Knicks struggle after the trade, and get swept in the first round.

That is exactly what I mean, Melo is was a very good scorer on a good team. Not nearly the complete package. If we didn't have a miss managed team after 2007, where we loss all the players that made us have a playoff run, then a 48 win season after that, if we would have kept our core intact, with Monta at the 2 (have J Rich coming off the bench at 2 and 3 spots), then I bet Monta would have had more hype because he would have been on a winning team.

oh well....

It is curious to me that we are considered the best fans in the NBA, but we keep harping on our best player. Ellis is the best player on our team by far. Remove him from the team we would have been fighting the Wolves for #1 draft spot. I would be careful at who I would consider "expert", and would look at the data and decide for myself at the value of a 22+ scorer... who was by far the toughest player on the team.... and the player who's game grew the most this season. Between 6'3'' and 6'4'', there isn't that much difference.... so to rest your case on him being 1 inch shorter then Wade at the SG spot doesn't seem to be a relative argument.

Wade is better overall player, yes.... but not because he is 1 inch taller. Size here is not an issue... but our overall Team deffence is. But it was getting better, and you can see if he stays within the guidlines of how we want to play D, he is very good. He fights his way through screens well, digs down on the post well.... but sometimes looses site of his man when on the weak side... that is just an issue of focus.

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:50 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Ellis is the best player on our team by far. Remove him from the team we would have been fighting the Wolves for #1 draft spot. .

And that just might be the problem. Since Ellis has become this team's best player, they've won 29, 26 and 36 games. Sure, he missed that 29 win season, at least the majority of it, but he was still getting paid right? As a business, you have to take that into consideration unless you like throwing away $11M. Interesting that they won 29 games without him and then 26 with him. Doesn't that confuse you just a little?

He has missed 19 games in the last two season. The Warriors have 8 wins and 11 losses in those 19 games. Not great, but not exactly Minnesota bad considering he did it with guys like Reggie Williams, Anthony Tolliver, Corey Maggette and Ronnie Turiaf. You take the games that Ellis did play, which is 145 games in the last two seasons...57 wins and 88 losses.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:51 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:In the 2002/03 season, the Nuggets won a total of 17 games which tied them with Cleveland for being the worst team in the league. The Cavs got Lebron James and Anthony went third in the draft. The very next season, Denver won 43 games and grabbed the final playoff spot in the West. The Nuggets haven't missed the playoff since. Yes, he's defense is nonexistent and he doesn't pass the ball, but he is 4th in the league at his position (SF) in rebounds behind guys like James, Josh Smith and G. Wallace. He has that x-factor I mentioned that Ellis didn't have.

There isn't another 6'3 shooting guard in the league that others would consider a superstar. Why? Because most coaches don't play a 6'3 SG 40+ minutes and let them take 20 shots a game, let alone be a starter. Louis Williams, Jason Terry, Delonte West, Jeff Teague, CJ Watson, Ben Gordon and Leandro Barbosa are just a few other 6'3 SGs in the league. All can score but do very little of eveything else. Barbosa is a better defender, ball handler and shooter than Ellis. Jason Terry is a better overall player than Ellis, yet he's coming off the bench for a playoff team. Experts constantly say that Curry has more value than Ellis. David Lee went from a 20 and 11 guy to a 16 and 9 player with writers predicting that Ellis would take Lee out of the game. The Warriors didn't shell out $12M a year for a 16 and 9 guy that plays very little defense.

"Curry put up the first 30-10-10 game by a rookie since Kevin Johnson in 1988. His teammates seemed to love the way the ball moved, shots were going up free and easy, the whole deal…

I’ve droned on and on over the last few weeks about the strange circumstance of the W’s offensive statistics being MUCH better when Ellis is out of the game.

I’ve theorized that when Ellis plays, the ball gets stuck in his hands, and everybody else stands around watching, which leads to tentative play if the ball leaves Ellis’ hands.

And when Curry is out there without Ellis, he makes sure the ball moves and he plays more freely himself.

I’m fairly certain that, in little ways, Don Nelson and Curry each believe that some of this is true–not all of it, of course.

Hard to say what they do about it. They’re going to play Ellis for as long as he remains on this team. They’re going to let him score.

But Curry is going to be the focal point of this team in the future. It may happen sooner rather than later. And that will mean, possibly in the near-future, Ellis will either have to be traded, or he will have to accept a lesser role."

Did you manage to miss the last year? Did you not see Curry struggle this year? Are you saying it's Monta's fault Curry struggled to become the team leader? Did Ellis not improve 100% this year?

"all can score but do very little of everything else."

So we are just going to throw away and not consider the 5.6 assists and 2.1 steals he gets a game. Be careful who you compare Monta to, Jason Terry, give me a break. You're right about those players doing very little in other aspects, but Monta is the motor and heart of this team. When Curry gets that, he can start to become the leader, but he has to get it first.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:11 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Ellis is the best player on our team by far. Remove him from the team we would have been fighting the Wolves for #1 draft spot. .

And that just might be the problem. Since Ellis has become this team's best player, they've won 29, 26 and 36 games. Sure, he missed that 29 win season, at least the majority of it, but he was still getting paid right? As a business, you have to take that into consideration unless you like throwing away $11M. Interesting that they won 29 games without him and then 26 with him. Doesn't that confuse you just a little?

He has missed 19 games in the last two season. The Warriors have 8 wins and 11 losses in those 19 games. Not great, but not exactly Minnesota bad considering he did it with guys like Reggie Williams, Anthony Tolliver, Corey Maggette and Ronnie Turiaf. You take the games that Ellis did play, which is 145 games in the last two seasons...57 wins and 88 losses.

Don't just take those facts as a way to scapegoat Monta. In that season they won 29 games the team had Stephen Jackson and Jamal Crawford, both of which although no always efficiently, have shown that they have the talent to get a team around 29 wins. That team also actually had a bench that could score too, and it's best option for such wasn't Reggie Williams. Also if I'm not mistaken the Lakers had a pretty damn good record with Kobe out of the lineup last year. Does that mean they were a better team without one of the greatest SGs of all time? HELL NO!

Last year with our most injuries in franchise history and his second best player by far being a rookie we only lost 3 more games than the year before. If you do the math correctly, it wasn't the addition of Monta that made the team lose 3 more games. Monta and Curry prevented the team from being worse than the Nets.

This year we won 10 more games, and with him as the leader and showed more toughness than we have in years during certain stretches (Nothing great, but we had a few streaks of holding quality opponents to less than 100 points. And won more than a few games where we scored less than 100 points. Something we never would have done in the past few years. Now I can't credit this all to Monta, since offseason additions and a coaching change helped in that regard, but those are the signs of growth you want from a young team.

Last time I checked he was not getting posted up every game, so his height and weight shouldn't be considered a huge factor. Add this to the fact that our backcourt constantly outperformed other teams backcourts throughout the year. What we need to improve upon is our defensive rotations down low, as we constantly get outshot at the foul line and send our best bigs to the bench for undisciplined (partly due to our reputation) forcing us to play undersized a majority of the time. Combine that with the fact that putting others on the line and slowing it down takes away a huge advantage we try to gain over other teams by forcing the tempo. This is why we need a legitimate defensive coach, who runs a defensive system that has proven to work in the NBA. Oh yeah drafting a legit SF so we can bring in Wright off the bench, along with improving the bench should help a lot too.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:27 am
BayAreaHoopz wrote:In the 2002/03 season, the Nuggets won a total of 17 games which tied them with Cleveland for being the worst team in the league. The Cavs got Lebron James and Anthony went third in the draft. The very next season, Denver won 43 games and grabbed the final playoff spot in the West. The Nuggets haven't missed the playoff since. Yes, he's defense is nonexistent and he doesn't pass the ball, but he is 4th in the league at his position (SF) in rebounds behind guys like James, Josh Smith and G. Wallace. He has that x-factor I mentioned that Ellis didn't have.

Monta's value is at an alltine high, he should be traded for something good ASAP

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:55 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:
BayAreaHoopz wrote:

Don't just take those facts as a way to scapegoat Monta. In that season they won 29 games the team had Stephen Jackson and Jamal Crawford, both of which although no always efficiently, have shown that they have the talent to get a team around 29 wins. That team also actually had a bench that could score too, and it's best option for such wasn't Reggie Williams. Also if I'm not mistaken the Lakers had a pretty damn good record with Kobe out of the lineup last year. Does that mean they were a better team without one of the greatest SGs of all time? HELL NO!

Last year with our most injuries in franchise history and his second best player by far being a rookie we only lost 3 more games than the year before. If you do the math correctly, it wasn't the addition of Monta that made the team lose 3 more games. Monta and Curry prevented the team from being worse than the Nets.

This year we won 10 more games, and with him as the leader and showed more toughness than we have in years during certain stretches (Nothing great, but we had a few streaks of holding quality opponents to less than 100 points. And won more than a few games where we scored less than 100 points. Something we never would have done in the past few years. Now I can't credit this all to Monta, since offseason additions and a coaching change helped in that regard, but those are the signs of growth you want from a young team.

Last time I checked he was not getting posted up every game, so his height and weight shouldn't be considered a huge factor. Add this to the fact that our backcourt constantly outperformed other teams backcourts throughout the year. What we need to improve upon is our defensive rotations down low, as we constantly get outshot at the foul line and send our best bigs to the bench for undisciplined (partly due to our reputation) forcing us to play undersized a majority of the time. Combine that with the fact that putting others on the line and slowing it down takes away a huge advantage we try to gain over other teams by forcing the tempo. This is why we need a legitimate defensive coach, who runs a defensive system that has proven to work in the NBA. Oh yeah drafting a legit SF so we can bring in Wright off the bench, along with improving the bench should help a lot too.

Well put DR! +1

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:58 pm
migya wrote:

Monta's value is at an alltine high, he should be traded for something good ASAP

I am more of a loyalty guy... would rather keep him. He hasn't done anything wrong to deserve being out cast. If he wants to be traded, and asks management to do so... then... get 'er done. But only person in our starting 5 that should be traded right now is Beans... because he doesn't try hard enough.. he just doesn't seem interested.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:45 pm
It is a a contract year for monta (he has a player option), so trading him would make sense for management if they plan on trading monta.

My question is, who would they trade monta for? I cant imagine us getting anyone better if we do trade him.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball