Don Nelson

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:36 am
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... =printable

It looks like Nelson is enjoying himself in Hawaii.

The article does mention some things about the Warriors, some of which were both surprising as well as a bit disturbing:

He still communicates with Keith Smart (might explain the sometimes bizarre substitution patterns).

Mullin kept him out of personnel decisions.

That he wanted to play David Lee at center and sign Anthony Tolliver to play power forward (seriously...obviously this is another example of what is wrong with this franchise; it never builds the foundation to eventually become an upper-echelon team, but rather, it reacts to hopefully just-try-to-compete.

All-in-all, the guy seems to be enjoying retirement.
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:27 am
Recalling Mullin's administrative tenure, which ended a season before his own, Nelson said, "I'd usually go in early, 5:30 in the morning. Mullie would be there, working out. Every time I started to talk about basketball, he would change the subject immediately, talk about golf or something. Every time."
That's just crazy, no wonder we fail even at the most fundamental levels as an organization.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:31 am
JREED wrote:
Recalling Mullin's administrative tenure, which ended a season before his own, Nelson said, "I'd usually go in early, 5:30 in the morning. Mullie would be there, working out. Every time I started to talk about basketball, he would change the subject immediately, talk about golf or something. Every time."
That's just crazy, no wonder we fail even at the most fundamental levels as an organization.

Agreed!

Neither one of those two clowns should have ever been hired.

Return to Warriors Basketball