16%
Neither
48%

Total votes : 25

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 pm
^^^DO THE POLL^^^

Question that has long lingered and often been asked and answered. Now after nearly two full seasons of Curry and Monta sharing the court together, how do you think it is working out?

Should we move one? Which one?

How do you decide?
Is it:
-Who is/can be the better player?
-Who is easier to build around?
-Is it decided by who has the better trade value?
-Who fits on this roster better?

I know that Monta is the better player and he has largely carried this team the entire year, but I would trade him before Curry. I don't see him taking over the pg duties if Curry leaves. Meaning as long as Monta is around we will have an undersized backcourt and a small sg who can't put much effort on defense.

And I would trade Monta first even though I believe Curry can get the team much more value in a trade. I don't know of any trade involving Curry that would vault us into "somewhat contender" status - same goes for Monta. I think that with Curry at the pg this team has a better chance of growing into a legitimate playoff contender.

Second choice would be to trade neither. Take the wait and see approach. Going to need some unbelievable luck though - whether in the draft or some really lopsided trade involving Lee or something.

Third choice is to trade both. Blow it all up but get proven talent in return. No more rebuild.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:48 am
Nice thread Fine and yes, this subject has been around in this forum for a while now, like about a year or so at least. I have been quite vocal with this, especially with trading Monta for a great big, more Center than PF, but either one. I then did mention trading Curry also.

My opinion on this is that this roster isn't going to do anything good, not even playoff caliber to me, definately never going to be championship caliber. If I was in charge of roster moves, I'd make wholesale changes, especially with the highest paid players.

On your question, I'd trade both Monta and Curry, but for proper talent in return that fits needs ofcourse. It isn't easy, but I'd look to trade Monta or Curry for Chris Paul, who has had his worst season so far I think and likely attainable. Add fillers, like DWright, who's had a very good season, his best obviously. That would cover getting a PG in return, but that's the best case scenario in getting the best PG that could be available.

Either way, the team has NO GOOD BIG in my opinion. No good big that can play both ends and be called allstar caliber. Lee just isn't it to me and I'd move him as fast as possible while his value is stil high, as I think he'll just regress here on the Warriors. I've said I like MGasol, but to be honest, his performance all of this season has soured my liking of him and now I don't want him, not for a player as highly valued as Monta or Curry. I was thinking a trade of Monta or Curry and a bench player, like Amundson, for Conley and MGasol would be good, but I'm not sure Conley is good enough to be the PG on an attampt to create a championship caliber team. Horford is real good, showing this season he is a real allstar player, unlike in previous seasons to me, where he got allstar more on his team's performance. Getting him would be very hard most likely, but I'd offer AB or Lee and Curry or Monta for Horford and fillers, be it JJohnson, as he gets paid a ton and that'd likely make salaries work.

I've also liked BLopez, but his weak rebounding makes him look like someone to stay away from for such a high price that Monta or Curry are. I'd get him if the team had a great rebounder, who has at least pretty good defense, next to him, so not Lee.

To be honest, I like the Wizards Javale McGee and Andray Blatche, more McGee, as he rebounds and blocks shots real well, at least this season. I know both are on a pathetic team that hasn't produced anything decent and proper maybe ever, but they look pretty good though. I think McGee could be attained for something like Monta and AB for McGee, Nick Young and Rashard (for salaries). Throw in DWright if needed. If such a trade could be done, that'd give the team what really looks like a very solid Center, especially defensively and one that is young also. Young looks real good as well, at least scoring, so he maybe could replace Monta decently at least. Monta is a superstar type player, at least has looked so this season and his value commands high return.

I'd trade both Monta and Curry, also Lee, who to me is ver overvalued and is such a burden defensively. All three players have high value, that's just the way it is when you have great numbers and the team could use that to advantage and fix most of the problems it has. Getting a very good big, especially one that playes very good defense and rebounds well, is a must, just is in order to be a team that is any good in all seriousness. You also have to have a very good PG, the hardest position, along with Center, to fill well. If one could not be gained in a trade, free agents like Felton could be attained

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:35 am
migya wrote:Nice thread Fine and yes, this subject has been around in this forum for a while now, like about a year or so at least. I have been quite vocal with this, especially with trading Monta for a great big, more Center than PF, but either one. I then did mention trading Curry also.

My opinion on this is that this roster isn't going to do anything good, not even playoff caliber to me, definately never going to be championship caliber. If I was in charge of roster moves, I'd make wholesale changes, especially with the highest paid players.

On your question, I'd trade both Monta and Curry, but for proper talent in return that fits needs ofcourse. It isn't easy, but I'd look to trade Monta or Curry for Chris Paul, who has had his worst season so far I think and likely attainable. Add fillers, like DWright, who's had a very good season, his best obviously. That would cover getting a PG in return, but that's the best case scenario in getting the best PG that could be available.

Either way, the team has NO GOOD BIG in my opinion. No good big that can play both ends and be called allstar caliber. Lee just isn't it to me and I'd move him as fast as possible while his value is stil high, as I think he'll just regress here on the Warriors. I've said I like MGasol, but to be honest, his performance all of this season has soured my liking of him and now I don't want him, not for a player as highly valued as Monta or Curry. I was thinking a trade of Monta or Curry and a bench player, like Amundson, for Conley and MGasol would be good, but I'm not sure Conley is good enough to be the PG on an attampt to create a championship caliber team. Horford is real good, showing this season he is a real allstar player, unlike in previous seasons to me, where he got allstar more on his team's performance. Getting him would be very hard most likely, but I'd offer AB or Lee and Curry or Monta for Horford and fillers, be it JJohnson, as he gets paid a ton and that'd likely make salaries work.

I've also liked BLopez, but his weak rebounding makes him look like someone to stay away from for such a high price that Monta or Curry are. I'd get him if the team had a great rebounder, who has at least pretty good defense, next to him, so not Lee.

To be honest, I like the Wizards Javale McGee and Andray Blatche, more McGee, as he rebounds and blocks shots real well, at least this season. I know both are on a pathetic team that hasn't produced anything decent and proper maybe ever, but they look pretty good though. I think McGee could be attained for something like Monta and AB for McGee, Nick Young and Rashard (for salaries). Throw in DWright if needed. If such a trade could be done, that'd give the team what really looks like a very solid Center, especially defensively and one that is young also. Young looks real good as well, at least scoring, so he maybe could replace Monta decently at least. Monta is a superstar type player, at least has looked so this season and his value commands high return.

I'd trade both Monta and Curry, also Lee, who to me is ver overvalued and is such a burden defensively. All three players have high value, that's just the way it is when you have great numbers and the team could use that to advantage and fix most of the problems it has. Getting a very good big, especially one that playes very good defense and rebounds well, is a must, just is in order to be a team that is any good in all seriousness. You also have to have a very good PG, the hardest position, along with Center, to fill well. If one could not be gained in a trade, free agents like Felton could be attained

I agree that the roster as is has very little hope. There is very little room for improvement and most likely some big change has to take place.

A problem with a couple of trades you proposed is the lack of contracts (Gasol, Paul after next season) or the presence of bad contracts (Joe Johnson) - but I think this is inevitable in any realistic trade proposal. Targeting players that have lengthy contracts at the important positions (like PG or C) should be a priority - because we don't want to lose the building blocks a year after we get them.

Interestingly, both Curry and Monta are on great contracts for their value on the court. Trading Monta for proven talent would be easier given his $11 mil contract, but with Curry we would have to involve an expiring (don't know how much we have expiring after next season) or someone who is going to bring down the trade value (Biedrins). D. Lee could also be involved but his contract could guarantee us getting 2 scrubs back with 2-3 years of $ left on their deals.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:48 am
Okay I'll give an opinion here. The Kings are moving or so it seems and maybe they want a better image and perhaps an exciting scorer to take with them. Are they tired of Tyreke and his off court issues and Cousins and his attitude, who knows but here is what I would try. Monta and Lee and either Ekpe or Wright for Cousins and Tyreke and a sign and trade of Dalembert to make the numbers work. They get the almost superstar here and a solid big with an up and coming sf or defensive presence pf. We solve our backcourt size problem, our defensive center problem and get a beast at pf to score and rebound. One shot deal and we are on the way. Some may think we give to much but frankly I would give both Wright and Ekpe or either one and use our 1st round pick to choose for them if that's what it takes to get it done.
Then sign Patrick Ewing to coach, I'm betting he can handle Cousins.

Two step approach: Trade Curry and our 1st round selection for Cousins and then Lee for Bargnani. Cousins and Bargnani may be a match.
After either of these I gladly take Jamison and his salary for a year to get rid of Beans.

We need some attitude on this team. With Cousins, Tyreke and Ewing I think we start to portray the don't mess with us image.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:17 pm
Thinking of our record, even though we had a very good year in terms of injuries, and of the fact that none of our players would be a starter to any serious team in NBA, I say trade them both, for the right players off course.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:27 pm
If I had to choose one or the other I'd choose to get rid of Monta rather than Curry. Curry is only a second year player and showing a lot of promise (if not so already). Yes, Monta is pretty good but with the pieces we have now and playing alongside Curry isn't going to propel us into the playoffs. Although there's an option to keep both players I think we could be pretty good with Curry leading the back court and definitely getting another piece that can drive to the basket (like someone said, Chris Paul).
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:43 pm
I would trade both, David Lee, and AB. The owner won't do it, because they love David Lee they were the ones who wanted to trade our scrap and sign him to that extension that how highly the FO think if Lee. I think both Monta and Curry would be great together if you have a big man like Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, or Dwight Howard controlling the paint to be championship caliber. They can either get Dwight Howard in FA(that would be a miracle to get him to come to GSW) or draft a player like them and develop them (that would be another miracle for the GSW scouts, FO, and coaching staff). This team can be a playoff team and win a series every year if this team have 2 good centers like Tyson Chandler, Deandre Jordan, centers who could play like them. The problem is FA Centers are so rare and expensive you have to pay each of them David Lee contract at least. I don't think the GSW have that kind of money to work with right now to get those FA centers. So they have to draft them and develop them which takes hard work and patience, which I think the owner doesn't have. So he better be ready to hand out those big contracts to good FA centers or hope to God they find one in the draft or D League and hope he performs well immediately.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:09 pm
fine wrote:
migya wrote:Nice thread Fine and yes, this subject has been around in this forum for a while now, like about a year or so at least. I have been quite vocal with this, especially with trading Monta for a great big, more Center than PF, but either one. I then did mention trading Curry also.

I agree that the roster as is has very little hope. There is very little room for improvement and most likely some big change has to take place.

A problem with a couple of trades you proposed is the lack of contracts (Gasol, Paul after next season) or the presence of bad contracts (Joe Johnson) - but I think this is inevitable in any realistic trade proposal. Targeting players that have lengthy contracts at the important positions (like PG or C) should be a priority - because we don't want to lose the building blocks a year after we get them.

Interestingly, both Curry and Monta are on great contracts for their value on the court. Trading Monta for proven talent would be easier given his $11 mil contract, but with Curry we would have to involve an expiring (don't know how much we have expiring after next season) or someone who is going to bring down the trade value (Biedrins). D. Lee could also be involved but his contract could guarantee us getting 2 scrubs back with 2-3 years of $ left on their deals.

Agreed.

Monta's contract is real good for his level and that's what will make trading him even easier and get great value in return. That's why trading AB with him is definately feasible and would not be hard to get done. You're talking about 22 million in salary for a superstar type SG and Center who has been awful, but has shown he does the things that you want Centers to do pretty well. Those two could get something like Horford and JJohnson, if salries work. We'd have to throw in someone like DWright, as AB's lack of production lately makes that traded a bit worse for atlanta.

What really stuffs everything, any attempt at making trades, is the CBA lockout that's coming in a few months. That really will stuff it all and halt everything

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:25 am
Ellis and Biedrins would probably not net us Horford and Johnson, unless we include something else valuable too. Maybe Smith and Johnson which could form a solid foursome with Curry, Lee and Udoh, with Wright being the first man off the bench. However, we would need to have a solid coach and GM who can bring in solid cost effective role players. If not, we will be the Hawks of the tougher west without their best player (Horford). Don't want to pay Johnson max money 6 more years for that.

If we can exchange Monta and Biedrins for Johnson and Smith, which is possible if we include our first rounder, since the Hawks would get a much cheaper SG who is more than capable of taking over a game and allow them to move Horford to PF as well as draft another player to play alongside them. It would also give us a lineup of

PG - Curry
SG - Johnson
SF - Smith
PF - Lee
C- Udoh

and Wright coming off the bench when we want to go small and run. That lineup would be pretty balanced with enough of a rebounding and defensive presence in the frontcourt to boost us into the top half of the league defensively if we get a capable coach.

However, I don't necessarily feel that a trade like this is necessary yet, especially when you consider we'd be taking on that much salary after the new CBA is negotiated.
Get Money. Get Paid.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:42 am
Dr. Spaceman wrote:Ellis and Biedrins would probably not net us Horford and Johnson, unless we include something else valuable too. Maybe Smith and Johnson which could form a solid foursome with Curry, Lee and Udoh, with Wright being the first man off the bench. However, we would need to have a solid coach and GM who can bring in solid cost effective role players. If not, we will be the Hawks of the tougher west without their best player (Horford). Don't want to pay Johnson max money 6 more years for that.

If we can exchange Monta and Biedrins for Johnson and Smith, which is possible if we include our first rounder, since the Hawks would get a much cheaper SG who is more than capable of taking over a game and allow them to move Horford to PF as well as draft another player to play alongside them. It would also give us a lineup of

PG - Curry
SG - Johnson
SF - Smith
PF - Lee
C- Udoh

and Wright coming off the bench when we want to go small and run. That lineup would be pretty balanced with enough of a rebounding and defensive presence in the frontcourt to boost us into the top half of the league defensively if we get a capable coach.

However, I don't necessarily feel that a trade like this is necessary yet, especially when you consider we'd be taking on that much salary after the new CBA is negotiated.

Very realistic given the struggles Atlanta has been going through. I would hate to see Smith as an SF though, but that's beside the point. What's important is that you would rather trade monta over curry (if forced to make a trade soon).

And it currently seems like trading Monta before Curry is the more popular move around here - which IMO is the smarter move.

I'm interested in hearing from the person who voted for Curry to be traded first as to what their reasoning is. Is it because you don't think he can PG a playoff team? Or do you think Monta will be more useful? Curry is better so he could get better players in return? Or something else?
Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:51 am
Actually, I wouldn't trade anyone. I mean, lets be realistic here, for a team that belongs to a much stronger West, has a lousy coach, has 3 good players, one decent and the rest is mostly composed of low q's, rookies and CBA's, 34 (possible 36) wins is a miracle.
So I'd say strengthen the bench with a few decent vets and change the coach and see what happens next year. If it doesn't work out then trade whoever you want.
My collection of vintage NBA games

http://nba-collector.webs.com/
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:46 am
Dr. Spaceman wrote:Ellis and Biedrins would probably not net us Horford and Johnson, unless we include something else valuable too. Maybe Smith and Johnson which could form a solid foursome with Curry, Lee and Udoh, with Wright being the first man off the bench. However, we would need to have a solid coach and GM who can bring in solid cost effective role players. If not, we will be the Hawks of the tougher west without their best player (Horford). Don't want to pay Johnson max money 6 more years for that.

PG - Curry
SG - Johnson
SF - Smith
PF - Lee
C- Udoh

The Hawks love Horford, as they should, but that team is not getting any better and as much as I like JSmith, unless it's Lee going instead of AB, I'd want Horford and I do think that the right now far better and cheaper Monta over JJohnson would get them to make a trade of Monta, AB, DWright and filler(s) if needed for JJohnson and Horford. I'd try hard for such a trade. I'd go as far as to give Lee instead of AB, as Lee gets paid more and has a longer contract if I'm not wrong. You do lose a bit of talent, but you get Horford, who's very good on both ends of the court and JJ, who's still a productive player who I think needs a change of scenery. If they don't want to give Horford, I'd do Monta and Lee for JJohnson and JSmith, but I'd get them to give two future 1st rounders, as they're getting more, though not too much more in such a trade.

As I said, the CBA lockout throws it all in limbo and you really can't do anything until that is resolved

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:23 am
I wouldn't trade neither of those guys. Basically, I don't think they are the problem we're not a playoff team right now. The problem is with our bigs...if we had any that have some worth, and are not rookies. So, what I would do is this, I'd sign Greg Oden, because I believe he's worth the risk. He probably won't be expensive, and it's a low risk, high reward kind of situation. If he gets injured again, we haven't overpaid for him, and if he doesn't we will have some really good center that we got for cheap. Though, I'm sure there's going to be more interested parties.

If we can't do that, or try to get Chandler (who is much more expensive) or Jordan, then I would look for a trade. But I'm more for one more year with these two guys as our guards than for trading them now (whoever). I would search for a good coach, fix our bench a little bit, and that should do the trick. I'm hoping for Adelman. If I had to choose whom to trade, I'd say Ellis, even though I really like the guy, I would have to say him, cause right now he has much higher value than Curry. Curry is more based on potential still.
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:17 am
We will never be champions with no defense. And i want to build my team to take champions. That has to be my goal for the first time in 35 years, since i have new owners. No more PF in Center position, no more 120 pts offense and 130 pts defense, no more 110 pts from the guards and 10 from the centers, no more short guys freak show, no more run and gun, no more investing in strange players, no more draft nonsense. For the love of god i am sick and tired.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:12 am
Guybrush wrote:I wouldn't trade neither of those guys. Basically, I don't think they are the problem we're not a playoff team right now. The problem is with our bigs...if we had any that have some worth, and are not rookies. So, what I would do is this, I'd sign Greg Oden, because I believe he's worth the risk. He probably won't be expensive, and it's a low risk, high reward kind of situation. If he gets injured again, we haven't overpaid for him, and if he doesn't we will have some really good center that we got for cheap. Though, I'm sure there's going to be more interested parties.

If we can't do that, or try to get Chandler (who is much more expensive) or Jordan, then I would look for a trade. But I'm more for one more year with these two guys as our guards than for trading them now (whoever). I would search for a good coach, fix our bench a little bit, and that should do the trick. I'm hoping for Adelman. If I had to choose whom to trade, I'd say Ellis, even though I really like the guy, I would have to say him, cause right now he has much higher value than Curry. Curry is more based on potential still.

DeAndre Jordan would be a great pickup, he is a free agent I take it. I do think the Clips will probably rather trade Kaman and keep Jordan and I'd have Kaman really, if we couldn't get Jordan. Jordan would also cost at least 8-9 million a year, as many teams will also be throwing money at him

Next

Return to Warriors Basketball