Which coach would you want this summer?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:11 pm
which coach do you believe the new owner's should sign to start rebuilding this franchise?

Sloan is free. Adelman may not resign with Rockets. Any thought's???

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:58 pm
I think Sloan is retired. If he is unavailable then Rick Aldeman. But other then that... not sure there is one I would be excited about.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:14 am
don't see a coach right now that'd be a sure thing to go after, not off the top of my head. I wanted Avery, but his taken so can't think of anyone really

migya make the ring fall on ya

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:33 am
HERE ARE A FEW NAMES THAT I PERSONALLY WOULD LIKE TO SEE INTERVIEWED.

Dave Rose is a college coach (he coaches BYU) will be available. He is a lineup guy who takes advantage of mismatches very well. He stresses great ball movement, and is able to make teams successful with perimeter play if they are lacking inside presence (much like what the warriors are today).

Steve Lavin, he is a first year coach at St. Johns Univ (he previously was the UCLA coach and a NBA broadcaster). He runs a pro-style program which has beaten all of the top college teams this year (though has lost to some very bad teams this year). He is very popular among player, pretty loose. He runs a quick tempo style of offense (much like we do, as we have the pieces for it). He is from the Bay Area.

Mario Elle (current top assistant coach, former Warriors player and assistant). He was in our system a couple years ago, he knows some of the players. He has won 3 rings as a player. Very good shooter in his day. NOTE: he was arrested for DUI just a few months ago,so you can make your own conclusions on that.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:08 pm
I like Brian Shaw. I also read somewhere that Lenny Wilkins said he would come back but not for free. I dont remember where I am pretty sure it was on a rumor mill type blog. Shaw is a Bay area guy and he has worked for a great coach for a while now. I also like Mario I remember his when he was a rookie for us way back in the day. Reggie williams reminds me of him a bit.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:08 pm
This is a good article that I feel is right.

Coach Smart didn't even stand a chance:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/03/14/SPRT1IABPS.DTL

Some of you will be happy when he is gone, but I think he deserves another year. The only thing that would make me change my mind on that is if a well experienced KNOWN coach, from the NBA (not a college coach turned pro, like the Mike Montgomery failure) were to become available and willing to coach (Adleman for another shoot?).

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:02 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:This is a good article that I feel is right.

Some of you will be happy when he is gone, but I think he deserves another year. The only thing that would make me change my mind on that is if a well experienced KNOWN coach, from the NBA (not a college coach turned pro, like the Mike Montgomery failure) were to become available and willing to coach (Adleman for another shoot?).

keith dumb?? man fk him, did u watch last night's game? he had A.Law closing out the game instead of curry... how u gonna let that happend when curry is our franchise player. and to me amuson is a better starter center than AB at the moment.. but he doesnt play amuson our only high energy player.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:13 pm
facue420 wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:This is a good article that I feel is right.

keith dumb?? man fk him, did u watch last night's game? he had A.Law closing out the game instead of curry... how u gonna let that happend when curry is our franchise player. and to me amuson is a better starter center than AB at the moment.. but he doesnt play amuson our only high energy player.

Hum... i disagree. Law was tearing up the defense, getitng into the lanes and creating open shots for others. Curry was hurt, couldn't shoot, and was turning the ball over. He evntually played Curry in a 3 guard lineup to matchup with Dallas' 3 guard lineup.

Amuson.... he should not be playing center. I don't like Lou at center, he is way undersized and we get out rebounded. Or he fouls the other team and for the and 1. I like his energy, but I am not a big fan of his because he can't shoot and is not athletic enough to be a 4, and he is too small to be a 5.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:43 pm
I'd like to bring in Mike D'Antoni if/when he gets fired from the Knicks job. The problem with the Knicks after the Carmelo trade is that the personnel does not match the style D'Antoni prefers. However, here, his offense would be perfect for Curry - and that's all I really care about.

J/k.

D. Lee knows the guy and had a statistically better season under him. Udoh is the kind of role player D'Antoni likes to use at C. Monta might struggle a bit in the offense but he could either be used in more of an off-ball role or be used as trade bait. Maybe package Monta and Andris for a less expensive SG and C combo.

Lack of defense is disconcerting but I blame that on the offensive big men D'antoni's teams have always had - Amare and Lee. Would like to ditch Lee to try a different route but that is highly unlikely. No defense will have to be tolerated for the time being.

Anyways, D'antoni.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:08 pm
Whoever the next top assistant coaches for next year like a Monty Williams and Tom Thibodeau, more depth in Center, Udoh and Curry improvement in their overall game, and they need a Great player that can push this team over the hump. I'm sorry Keith Smart not going to be back, because he somehow thinks he thinks Vlad, Law, and Amundson can help push this team to playoffs. His attention to AB over the summer did not help AB at all this season. Never gave Udoh, William, and Lin enough consistent PT during the game to learn their mistakes. This year he should of focus on developing players like William, Udoh and Lin instead of playing matchups with his bench to try to win games. He fail and still does not recognize that he has a bad team and should be a teaching kind of coach instead of a matchup coach.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:21 pm
unfortunately for coach smart, he was set up to fail. he has a team that isnt good enough for the playoffs, but what was he going to do? tank the season by playing lin, udoh and co for 30 mins a game and win 15 games instead of 30 something? he's in a position where he needs to prove himself to have a job (if not here, somewhere else). he probably knew lacob would go in another direction after the season, but you can argue he did a pretty good job when you consider the type of team he had to work with (a defensive minded coach without defensive minded personnel). i can picture him becoming the next HC of the pacers.. good fit, he's popular in indiana, and they need to rebuild with a young coach and defensive mentality. boy that sounds good for the warriors right? only, he's a leftover from the nelson era, and the warriors are better off turning the page there.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:47 am
Right on warchief.
But since we all know that Smart will go, and we have to move on, i would like us to have a defensive minded coach. I am very high on Skiles but i think he is not available. What about Larry Brown? I heard he want to coach again.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:31 am
Don't know if anyone has thrown his name out there yet, but how about Patrick Ewing? The guy is a highly regarded assistant on a (up until recently) very good team, and has been credited with much of their success. The reason he has been credited with this is because the guy can develop big men. Howard, Gortat and Yao are some of the big men that Ewing has helped coach up, and I'm sure he could help Udoh or whoever we choose to go forward with at C in the future.

Coming from the basketball culture he did, I'm sure he would demand a team that plays on both ends of the floor and wouldn't allow this soft crap we see every night.
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:46 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:Don't know if anyone has thrown his name out there yet, but how about Patrick Ewing? The guy is a highly regarded assistant on a (up until recently) very good team, and has been credited with much of their success. The reason he has been credited with this is because the guy can develop big men. Howard, Gortat and Yao are some of the big men that Ewing has helped coach up, and I'm sure he could help Udoh or whoever we choose to go forward with at C in the future.

Coming from the basketball culture he did, I'm sure he would demand a team that plays on both ends of the floor and wouldn't allow this soft crap we see every night.

I wanted to give Coach Smart another year to see what he can do... but with the team burning out right now with still 13 games to go, I can't imagine that Riely will not make a move. If he doesn't then Joe might just move both of them. I really like your idea with Patrick. He is a big guy, knows how to develop and play bigs, and is defensive oriented. He is not proven as a head coach, but we know that he is tough as nails... and well respected by players. I would perfer Adleman if he is availabel (my top choice was Mcmillian, but I think he is signing an extension), but if not.... I would be exicted to see what Ewing can accomplish.

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:19 pm
Doc Rivers may be available.

Next

Return to Warriors Basketball