Front Office

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


All Star
Posts: 2804
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:57 pm
The Coooach wrote:I can't believe how some of you guys think that getting better back-up players will help. The Warriors need better starters so that some of the starters can be back-up players. We have a whole team full of back-up players.


Agreed.

Also, the team has two starting guards who are not complimentary of each other and a starting center and a starting power forward who both do not play good interior defense.

Because of the $80 million David Lee contract, the front office is stuck with no room to make deals to improve the starting lineup unless they move either Curry or Ellis (which they appear not willing to do).
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:03 am
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:16 pm
Well said, i will add that both Ellis and Curry must be traded because they are both undersized SG with no defense and limited chance to shift successfully in PG.
Image

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

All Star
Posts: 2804
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:11 am
TRON wrote:Well said, i will add that both Ellis and Curry must be traded because they are both undersized SG with no defense and limited chance to shift successfully in PG.


We had a trade on the table to pick up Amare in a deal which would have included Curry, but Nelson and Riley rejected it (because they did not want to deal Curry). Choosing an undersized shooting guard/slow point guard ("tweener") over an athletic big man is another example of why Riley needs to go.

Lacob needs to bring in a real front office person to rebuild this team. I do not buy the argument that the transaction to purchase the team had occurred after training camp, which did not allow Lacob and Guber to bring in a new front office person. We Warrior fans would rather suffer through a tough season knowing that the foundation was going to be built properly than see a continuation of the previous ownership tenure.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Los Anyeles, CA
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:16 pm
uptempo wrote:
TRON wrote:Well said, i will add that both Ellis and Curry must be traded because they are both undersized SG with no defense and limited chance to shift successfully in PG.


We had a trade on the table to pick up Amare in a deal which would have included Curry, but Nelson and Riley rejected it (because they did not want to deal Curry). Choosing an undersized shooting guard/slow point guard ("tweener") over an athletic big man is another example of why Riley needs to go.

Lacob needs to bring in a real front office person to rebuild this team. I do not buy the argument that the transaction to purchase the team had occurred after training camp, which did not allow Lacob and Guber to bring in a new front office person. We Warrior fans would rather suffer through a tough season knowing that the foundation was going to be built properly than see a continuation of the previous ownership tenure.


I don't know how much you can criticize that trade. Amar'e said himself, that if we had made that trade, we would not have the pieces necessary for him to resign. Whether we could have assembled some more pieces over the course of a season is a different story, but it seems like Amar'e was set on going to NY all along(Has been said of all the FAs last offseason, that Amar'e knew exactly what he wanted more than the others.

So trading a VERY promising PG prospect (which Curry was arguably the 2nd highest rated player in that draft by many GMs) at a position of need for one year of Amar'e doesn't seem like the worst move never made.
Get Money. Get Paid.
User avatar
Rookie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Sacramento
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:39 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:I don't know how much you can criticize that trade. Amar'e said himself, that if we had made that trade, we would not have the pieces necessary for him to resign. Whether we could have assembled some more pieces over the course of a season is a different story, but it seems like Amar'e was set on going to NY all along(Has been said of all the FAs last offseason, that Amar'e knew exactly what he wanted more than the others.

So trading a VERY promising PG prospect (which Curry was arguably the 2nd highest rated player in that draft by many GMs) at a position of need for one year of Amar'e doesn't seem like the worst move never made.


Couldn't agree with you more. I'm REALLY surprised to see how many people on here are so quick to trade curry. In order for Amare to be productive I think he has to play on a run and gun type team where he can run the floor and get easy dunks. He doesn't play defense and is an average rebounder at best.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21378
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:35 pm
Crocoducks wrote:
Dr. Spaceman wrote:I don't know how much you can criticize that trade. Amar'e said himself, that if we had made that trade, we would not have the pieces necessary for him to resign. Whether we could have assembled some more pieces over the course of a season is a different story, but it seems like Amar'e was set on going to NY all along(Has been said of all the FAs last offseason, that Amar'e knew exactly what he wanted more than the others.

So trading a VERY promising PG prospect (which Curry was arguably the 2nd highest rated player in that draft by many GMs) at a position of need for one year of Amar'e doesn't seem like the worst move never made.


Couldn't agree with you more. I'm REALLY surprised to see how many people on here are so quick to trade curry. In order for Amare to be productive I think he has to play on a run and gun type team where he can run the floor and get easy dunks. He doesn't play defense and is an average rebounder at best.




Yea, trading for Amare at that point was too late and he would have left anyway.

I'll trade anyone on this team to get improvements and right now, it is easy to get improvements when there is much to improve. The defense is terrible and the team will never be more than mediocre until that is at least improved
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 930
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:24 pm
Location: Rock Island, WA
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:44 pm
I'm probably beating a dead cat at this point...but I think coaching has a little bit to do with improving as well. Poor rotations, reiteration of NOT playing defense (defense can be taught in SOME regard at least), horrible timing on time-outs, not changing the starting line up when needed...in the beginning of the season we were doing alright when coaching had little to do with success...some players are simply tired and there is little to no moral on the team, especially when there's multiple losses in a row.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
User avatar
Rookie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Sacramento
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:34 pm
Knightofoceans wrote:I'm probably beating a dead cat at this point...but I think coaching has a little bit to do with improving as well. Poor rotations, reiteration of NOT playing defense (defense can be taught in SOME regard at least), horrible timing on time-outs, not changing the starting line up when needed...in the beginning of the season we were doing alright when coaching had little to do with success...some players are simply tired and there is little to no moral on the team, especially when there's multiple losses in a row.


How long is Smart under contract? I know he's been an assistant for a while, but I think if a NBA coach doesn't have a multi-year contract sometimes players don't buy into what the coach is selling. If he is on a "trial" run than that could explain why he's over playing the starters. That is exactly what DiAntoni is doing in New York with Amare; playing him WAY to many minutes for a guy who plays above the rim and has rebuilt knees, only because the only way he's going to keep his job is to get the wins. Could this be what's going on?
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 930
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:24 pm
Location: Rock Island, WA
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:38 am
Crocoducks wrote:
Knightofoceans wrote:I'm probably beating a dead cat at this point...but I think coaching has a little bit to do with improving as well. Poor rotations, reiteration of NOT playing defense (defense can be taught in SOME regard at least), horrible timing on time-outs, not changing the starting line up when needed...in the beginning of the season we were doing alright when coaching had little to do with success...some players are simply tired and there is little to no moral on the team, especially when there's multiple losses in a row.


How long is Smart under contract? I know he's been an assistant for a while, but I think if a NBA coach doesn't have a multi-year contract sometimes players don't buy into what the coach is selling. If he is on a "trial" run than that could explain why he's over playing the starters. That is exactly what DiAntoni is doing in New York with Amare; playing him WAY to many minutes for a guy who plays above the rim and has rebuilt knees, only because the only way he's going to keep his job is to get the wins. Could this be what's going on?


This could definitely have something to do with one, many, or all of the players not buying into what the coach is selling. It's hard to do what a coach tells you what to do especially after that HASN'T worked. A slightly slower version of fast ball ain't going to get it done...hoping other players miss their shots which is something they are paid to do isn't doing anything either. Now maybe if we were knocking down 115 or 116+ we have a good chance of winning....rest rest rest...good rotation good rotation good rotation...We need to come up with a few new plays and rotations and perhaps mix em up sometimes! Teams know what we are doing...unless they miss their shots we have a chance to win.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.

All Star
Posts: 2804
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:50 pm
It is not coaching that is this team's problem; it a disjointed roster of two defensively-weak inside frontcourt players; two backcourt starters who are undersized for the shooting guard position and slow for the point guard position; and a bench which has no firepower.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 930
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:24 pm
Location: Rock Island, WA
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:36 pm
I don't know...if we had a do-over we could easily be a 45-49 win team. Look at the playoff team of 2008 - we have virtually the same style of play team (okay, minus Richardson, Davis, and Jackson)..but a lot of shooters and worse luck than that playoff team. I think better coaching could have put us in that win range too...but I could just be crazy as I've been told.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 930
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:24 pm
Location: Rock Island, WA
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:40 pm
Crocoducks wrote:
Knightofoceans wrote:I'm probably beating a dead cat at this point...but I think coaching has a little bit to do with improving as well. Poor rotations, reiteration of NOT playing defense (defense can be taught in SOME regard at least), horrible timing on time-outs, not changing the starting line up when needed...in the beginning of the season we were doing alright when coaching had little to do with success...some players are simply tired and there is little to no moral on the team, especially when there's multiple losses in a row.


How long is Smart under contract? I know he's been an assistant for a while, but I think if a NBA coach doesn't have a multi-year contract sometimes players don't buy into what the coach is selling. If he is on a "trial" run than that could explain why he's over playing the starters. That is exactly what DiAntoni is doing in New York with Amare; playing him WAY to many minutes for a guy who plays above the rim and has rebuilt knees, only because the only way he's going to keep his job is to get the wins. Could this be what's going on?


Yeah, I'm pretty sure Smart is done after this season...he's been here for what, 6 or 7 years, so I think the players have somewhat of a respect for him...but probably not as a head coach. Yeah, I think this could have something to do with trying to prove himself...but he doesn't have Amare and Carmelo on the same team. Quit just trying to throw people in there...especially when someone is on a hot streak or something...don't take them out just to prove you can put someone else in there!
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.

Rookie
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:12 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 pm
It over for him he not going to command respect and keeps yanking people switching rotation and doesn't put a consistent one out. I said it in the beginning of the season coach Smart is coaching to win games not develop players. He has been here for a long time as an assistant and he hasn't figure out that most of his players can't play def or team def consistently. He trying to win with a crappy roster and probably going to use the excuse "I don't have good players and I'm trying to figure out the rotation". Smart shouldn't be figuring it out this late in the season. The rotation should be set. It not like he a brand new coach, because he has been here for awhile now and it time to let him go. He not going to be resigned and I see him as assistant coach for awhile. He was an interim coach for the Cavs and that didn't go well for him and he not really talked about being a coaching candidate for a long time already.

The roster need more help in getting a starting Center which Warriors have to overpay to get one in FA. Atleast 10mil per year, because they look at AB he getting 9 mil for what he doing the FA starting Center will definitely ask for at least 10 mil per year. If we want to upgrade our PF in FA warriors going have to overpay also, because David Lee got 11 mill per they will start at 12 mill per for their contracts. Warriors are going have to spend a lot to upgrade those position and try got get more depth in the Guard and hope Curry develop a better PG in running the team by his 3rd year.

It probably going to take another 2 years or more for Warriors to reach the playoffs as a lower seed depending on what happens to the other teams in the Western Conference.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 930
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:24 pm
Location: Rock Island, WA
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:00 am
Yeah, I still think we have decent enough players to make it to the playoffs....call me dumb, but the rotation and **** haven't been going in our way. Starting over with a decent coach we'd easily be 35-40 wins so far....optimistic yes, but better subs, timeouts, we'd be in better shape.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:46 am
Well most of us predicited a mid 30 win season. They are not going to the playoffs, we know that now, they would have to win every single game of their 18 left. So, I thought they would be a 36 win team this season, if they hit that number then Smart gets a B grade from me.

Then here is the deciding factor as to whether to bring him back or not: What other coaches are available.
I don't want to get rid of Smart just to get another unproven coach, and then try and get a different coach again after that. I don't like the idea of keeping swapping out coaches. I think at the end of the season we need to evaluate what Smart has done, what else is available and then make a decision. If Nate Mcmillian were available, or Adleman, or Stan Vangundy (not his brother though). If nothing better is out there, then stay with smart who has one more year left anyway, and has cheap contract in a year that might be impacted by the CBA.

If we can get 36 wins this year, then with a improved roster, and a year of experience under our belt we could come up with a +10 wins the next season, putting us at 46wins and in the 8th seed. Then evaluate after that season.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"
Image

Image : 2010 - 2011
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron