Al Thornton do anything For You?

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:17 am
Just read Warriors will pick up 6-8 SF Al Thornton following his buyout. Does this improve us in any way? Career 12ppg, about 3 or 4 reb a game. Have heard remarks about him in passing that make him sound like the rest of the bench, great about every 3rd or 4th game. I guess we need some small forward help, but not too sure this was worth doing.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:17 pm
WARRIORHOG8 wrote:Just read Warriors will pick up 6-8 SF Al Thornton following his buyout. Does this improve us in any way? Career 12ppg, about 3 or 4 reb a game. Have heard remarks about him in passing that make him sound like the rest of the bench, great about every 3rd or 4th game. I guess we need some small forward help, but not too sure this was worth doing.

I think the Lou Amoundson thing didn't work out. He is too undersized to play the C, and doesn't have enough offense for the 4.
Vlad has been playing well recently at the 4, spreading the floor and playing good D, so I think they want to be able to bring another big body at the 3 that can score... so it makes sense.
That way you don't have to go small in order to bring someone in who can score. Keep Williams at the 2 off the bench, where his hieght helps him play D against other 2's, but so much against bigger more athletic 3's.

Nothing impressive, but if it helps reduce the minutes of the starters, I am all for it. This just might be a preview if they want to sign him next season.

The lineup would be like this (assuming Udoh continues to start):

PG - Curry/Law/Lin
SG - Ellis/Williams/Bell
SF - Wright/Thornton
PF - Lee/Vlad/Adrien
C - Udoh/Beans/Amoundson

I would like to see more of Jeff Adrien... see him come in at PF and use his strength to get some rebounds.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
WARRIORHOG8 wrote:Just read Warriors will pick up 6-8 SF Al Thornton following his buyout. Does this improve us in any way? Career 12ppg, about 3 or 4 reb a game. Have heard remarks about him in passing that make him sound like the rest of the bench, great about every 3rd or 4th game. I guess we need some small forward help, but not too sure this was worth doing.

I think the Lou Amoundson thing didn't work out. He is too undersized to play the C, and doesn't have enough offense for the 4.
Vlad has been playing well recently at the 4, spreading the floor and playing good D, so I think they want to be able to bring another big body at the 3 that can score... so it makes sense.
That way you don't have to go small in order to bring someone in who can score. Keep Williams at the 2 off the bench, where his hieght helps him play D against other 2's, but so much against bigger more athletic 3's.

Nothing impressive, but if it helps reduce the minutes of the starters, I am all for it. This just might be a preview if they want to sign him next season.

PG - Curry/Law/Lin
SG - Ellis/Williams/Bell
SF - Wright/Thornton
PF - Lee/Vlad/Adrien
C - Udoh/Beans/Amoundson

I would like to see more of Jeff Adrien... see him come in at PF and use his strength to get some rebounds.

Looking at the roster laid out like that, I can't help but think that unless changing coaches (which should and will happen) makes a big difference, thhis roster is nowhere near good enough to compete in the West for even a playoff spot. I'm afraid it's gonna take significant player personnel shakeup.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:29 pm
WARRIORHOG8 wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:

PG - Curry/Law/Lin
SG - Ellis/Williams/Bell
SF - Wright/Thornton
PF - Lee/Vlad/Adrien
C - Udoh/Beans/Amoundson

Looking at the roster laid out like that, I can't help but think that unless changing coaches (which should and will happen) makes a big difference, thhis roster is nowhere near good enough to compete in the West for even a playoff spot. I'm afraid it's gonna take significant player personnel shakeup.

I think a coaching change would be big. I have been on Smart's side most of the season, but, when watching the game's that we are losing closely, I paid attention to why our guys were unable to rebound. Since I recorded the the games I was able to rewind and playback everytime the other team got an offensive rebound.

What I found was that our guys are out of place. They were out of place because our bigs are rotating. Sometimes they are even rotating to outside shooters... why are they going out to contest a shooter on the perimeter? That just gets them away from the rim, and they are not going to block a shot out there. The defensive rotations are bad and late. Bigs should not move out of poistion to go help the other big, when he isn't really going to be effective, becuase a quick pass and then its a layup for the guy who was left, or he now has great position for a putback.

So I don't think the defensive startegy is in the right spot. It may be that the players aren't executing, but I think it is because they are not being told when to rotate, and when NOT to rotate.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:41 pm
I mentioned (I believe) that rotation problem some time ago. It is painfully obvious that they are almost always late for that, and they do it when it is not even necessary. For instance, guard is still on his player, and here comes some forward to help him out, leaving his player wide open. That's pretty much double team, but in absolutely bad situation. The guy with the bass wasn't cornered or anything, he just needed to pass the ball to the wide open player.
Even when a player loses a step, he can make it up, that's not that big of a deal, especially when does things happen someplace around perimeter, but our big just runs out to help out, leaving the paint totally free.

That's why we give up so many easy layups and dunks.

Return to Trades