Will Lacob win at any cost?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:02 pm
I know it's still early in the new owners tenure, but do things still feel a bit "Warrior-ish" to you?

just don't think the mentality of things can be much different when you're still employing guys like Robert Rowell because he "did some nice things" (creating "A great timeout" and all). and Riley, Idk, who knows. I know that the Warriors need an aggressive minded, super creative, well connected GM with the mentality of transforming the team for the better and not accepting mediocrity.

if Ellison won out, like Mark Cuban, he undoubtedly has that WIN AT ALL COSTS approach to things and we KNOW it would entirely be about WINNING to him and never about the money. how do we know it's not still somewhat about $$ to Lacob when he still has Rowell employed?

the Cohan stench has been so strong and lingered for so long, maybe cleaning f'n house is the only way to remove it?

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:10 pm
I think these last 25 games or however many we have left will have more of an impact on keith smart's future than riley's. If we lose 15-18 of the last 25 or something like that I think it's likely lacob would like to get his own guy, and he may do that regardless. riley's time is almost up, he'll be vacationing in maui with nelly soon enough. There will be an overhaul this offseason, because unlike cohan, I think lacob wants to be the "savior" of the warriors.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:10 pm
This team don't have great talent and the CBA which cuts his moves, because he don't know what the landscape going to be. This team have few good players in Curry, Ellis, D Wright, and Lee. The team also relying on R. Williams and Udoh to improve their game and then there mediocre players like AB, Amundson, Rad, Lin, Law, C Bell. This team can score with jump shooting and some drives in the lane against soft def, but mainly a jump shooting team. David Lee not going to develop back to basket game or def any better. His bread and butter is rebounding and effort to maximize his ability. He's also being paid like he makes a big difference which he does not. Curry bread and butter is scoring like Ellis, but non of them can run a team like a PG and defend other guards. They are not 40 min a night player for a season to make your team a winner. D Wright is a decent player who improve most of his game nice fine.

Robert Rowell is not on the floor playing, coaching, or have a say on the roster.

Everyone say just add a center or PF in FA, but why would they come here to an under size team who not close to playoffs and championship. If I'm a big man who can def and play some offense I want to be paid more than AB and David Lee, because I'm better than them. Warriors going have to overpay. They have to find that diamond big like they found D Wright if they don't want to overpay for a big man.

They need another big athletic guard to keep the other team guard from going into the lane, because as a big man I will get piss off if Curry and Ellis let guards drive into the lane and get the big man in foul trouble.

They also need another SF to be better than D Wright or a backup.

In the end they are either good or average players which makes this team middle or bottom seed of the playoffs. That is if everything goes right and all those player contribute.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:30 am
People that aren't familiar with the CBA just think that an owner with money can go out there and buy players, but thats not the case when building a team. With the cap and luxury tax, it can get pretty complicated on what a team could do financially. Money helps in sustaining success, but this team is far from successful. What a new owner must do is put a front office in place that can evaluate talent and knows what a winning formula is. I'm not sure Riley is that person nor is Keith Smart. This team has a lot of work ahead. They have an albatross contract in Andris Biedrins that not a lot of people will touch. Their 3 highest paid players are this team's 3 worst defenders being Biedrins, Lee and Ellis. Then you add Steph Curry who isn't a defender either. That is their core of players. Not a formula for success at all. They don't have enough cap space to sign a big free agent and just enough to add some bench players.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:44 am
BayAreaHoopz wrote:They don't have enough cap space to sign a big free agent and just enough to add some bench players.

Actually, strengthening the bench is the FASTEST and SUREST way to improve this team's win total next year.

I don't think Dwight Howard or any comparable current NBAer is heading this way soon, and the upcoming draft looks empty in terms of bigs (particularly when the Dubs are likely to draft.)

If we can upgrade our bench from the likes of Lin, Bell, Law, etc., we could reasonably expect to match this year's increase in wins which will at least get us into the playoffs and make the Dubs a more attractive place for signing that elusive Big Bopper at the 5 we all know is needed.
Aiming for a Warriors team as good as their fans.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:21 pm
v7i7c wrote:
BayAreaHoopz wrote:They don't have enough cap space to sign a big free agent and just enough to add some bench players.

Actually, strengthening the bench is the FASTEST and SUREST way to improve this team's win total next year.

I don't think Dwight Howard or any comparable current NBAer is heading this way soon, and the upcoming draft looks empty in terms of bigs (particularly when the Dubs are likely to draft.)

If we can upgrade our bench from the likes of Lin, Bell, Law, etc., we could reasonably expect to match this year's increase in wins which will at least get us into the playoffs and make the Dubs a more attractive place for signing that elusive Big Bopper at the 5 we all know is needed.

The only way to make the team attractive is to get a hold of stars, starting with a big. Just like what we've seen with Miami and other teams in recent years, when you have at least two stars you can attract very good players to surround them and quite cheaply

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: -2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:23 pm
Any cost? Don't hate on Lacob, he has lots of loans to repay. Luckily Rowell agreed to stay on.
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:13 pm
toffee wrote:Any cost? Don't hate on Lacob, he has lots of loans to repay. Luckily Rowell agreed to stay on.

:shock:

Return to Warriors Basketball