The Oakland Athletics Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:09 pm
bada wrote:
PAWNO wrote:
bada wrote:Nice sweep of the giants! That always feels good. Only gave up 1 run the whole series!

But we better start hitting soon or we are not going anywhere.

how'd the crowd support look at battle of bay. Last year when i went to A's there was about no more then 10000 people in the house.

I guess that's one of the reason they moving to San jose (attendance is hurting)

its complete crap. nobody goes to the games. this series was near capacity but mostly because of giants fans.

that's a shame. They're looking a lot better this season.

I've always thought of the Colliseum as the trifecta of poorly run professional sports teams (warriors, raiders & athletics) but out of all 3 athletics get a passmark in my eyes cause they can't really compete payroll wise with the heavyweights like redsox or yankees.

I was most astonished with the amount of scalpers selling tickets on the overpass from bart. You wonder how they make a profit (& the raiders) with the low attendance levels
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:23 pm
PAWNO wrote:
bada wrote:
PAWNO wrote:
bada wrote:Nice sweep of the giants! That always feels good. Only gave up 1 run the whole series!

But we better start hitting soon or we are not going anywhere.

how'd the crowd support look at battle of bay. Last year when i went to A's there was about no more then 10000 people in the house.

I guess that's one of the reason they moving to San jose (attendance is hurting)

its complete crap. nobody goes to the games. this series was near capacity but mostly because of giants fans.

that's a shame. They're looking a lot better this season.

I've always thought of the Colliseum as the trifecta of poorly run professional sports teams (warriors, raiders & athletics) but out of all 3 athletics get a passmark in my eyes cause they can't really compete payroll wise with the heavyweights like redsox or yankees.

I was most astonished with the amount of scalpers selling tickets on the overpass from bart. You wonder how they make a profit (& the raiders) with the low attendance levels

I think they could, but the damn Yankees and Red Sox are such "big names" in big markets. I mean, yeah, the bay area is a big market... but they avoid the A's because they never seem willing to spend money and they avoid the Giants because of our pitcher-friendly ball park.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:32 am
Just been reading up on the Athletics plans to move to San Jose, there's a bit of a issue in regards to the Giants claiming that this is there area- Are they Serious?

Teams like the football Giants/Jets don't squabble over cross city rivalry. But if the baseball Giants really believe that this is there birthright. Didn't the Giants almost move to Florida a few years back.

I love the Giants logo(sf), but they get no love from me in everything else they do. A mediocre ballclub who think they're cream of the crop. (but they ain't ****)
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:11 am
PAWNO wrote:Just been reading up on the Athletics plans to move to San Jose, there's a bit of a issue in regards to the Giants claiming that this is there area- Are they Serious?

Teams like the football Giants/Jets don't squabble over cross city rivalry. But if the baseball Giants really believe that this is there birthright. Didn't the Giants almost move to Florida a few years back.

I love the Giants logo(sf), but they get no love from me in everything else they do. A mediocre ballclub who think they're cream of the crop. (but they ain't ****)

They have geographic / territorial rights in San Jose. Im really not sure how, but I think that actually may stem from when they were going to move to St. Petersburg.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:44 am
"Always" Next wrote:
PAWNO wrote:Just been reading up on the Athletics plans to move to San Jose, there's a bit of a issue in regards to the Giants claiming that this is there area- Are they Serious?

They have geographic / territorial rights in San Jose. Im really not sure how, but I think that actually may stem from when they were going to move to St. Petersburg.

The Giants have a minor league based team there. The San Jose Giants. Baseball works different than football, Pawndawg.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:35 am
Early days in a very very long season... But good **** with the A's getting 15 runs today against the Cubs!!!

This team should be a sellout with a young pitching nucleus when they pack up and move to San Jose.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:07 pm
Should be for the first season, but San Jose is not that far and the A's attendance has been really bad...

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:40 am
they won't be moving to San Jose unless the Giants approve of it... but maybe they can move to Sacramento, cuz we now don't have any sports team (though we do have the RiverCats)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:13 pm
JREED wrote:Should be for the first season, but San Jose is not that far and the A's attendance has been really bad...

I think the A's attendance levels are more a case of the city of Oakland as opposed to the Athletics.

They will be a constant sellout in San Jose I believe as the community will embrace them just like the Sharks.

I don't want them to move, but it might be best thing for them to compete in the FA market (San Jose is more appealing then Oakland)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:24 am
Pawno, I think your reaching a little bit with a few things here... Constant sellout's in the MLB are very rare and this isn't the NBA, markets don't influence FA decisions nearly as much. MLB is different from the other big sports.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:06 am
JREED wrote:Pawno, I think your reaching a little bit with a few things here... Constant sellout's in the MLB are very rare and this isn't the NBA, markets don't influence FA decisions nearly as much. MLB is different from the other big sports.

i do know that FA hitters like to go to small ballparks so they can pad there HR stats.

& yeah over a 100 games a season... i doubt it would constantly sellout, but a San Jose ballclub would have more sellouts then a Oakland venue.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:21 am
Cespedes hit a monster homer right up almost into the Mt Davis of the Coliseum.

He looks like a legit prospect.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:16 pm
Doesn't look too good for the A's ATM... So much for the possibility of another Bay Bridge Series, but they still had a remarkable run. Happy to see the G-Men's lil bros from across the bay have a good season. Maybe in another 10 years after the Yankees, Red Socks, etc. raid all their talent and they are able to restock some more players that they'll have no chance of keeping.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:26 am
JREED wrote:Doesn't look too good for the A's ATM... So much for the possibility of another Bay Bridge Series, but they still had a remarkable run. Happy to see the G-Men's lil bros from across the bay have a good season. Maybe in another 10 years after the Yankees, Red Socks, etc. raid all their talent and they are able to restock some more players that they'll have no chance of keeping.

Backhanded compliment of the year. :D
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:33 am
Jim Harbaugh was spotted at todays A's game.

I got no qualms with Jim being a fan of the A's (he probably liked them from when he use to Quarterback coach back here a decade ago)

But the amount of vitriol my Raiders friends were throwing his way telling him to be a fan of the Giants that Dennis Allen was the football coach of the A's!!!!

Damn who gives a **** about Dennis Allen.

I wonder how the fan loyalty allignment changes when the Athletics move to San Jose???
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board