Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:36 pm
uptempo wrote:
migya wrote:
uptempo wrote:
migya wrote:Trade him along with one or two others for a real PF, one that plays defense as well

No team would take David Lee's $80 million contract in any trade.

I disagree, he has value and quite a fair bit. It's worth trying and trying hard, but the team invested in him so they'll likely keep him

I, too, like David Lee; however, his $80 million contract ties up too much money into one player who does not address the need for an inside player.

He like Corey Maggette version 2 overrated for that contract. Warriors over paid for Maggette bidding against who? Warriors again overpaid for David lee bidding against who? Also added the draft picks and players for David lee with the huge contract. I like his rebounding and hustle like in OKC game he was going against Jeff Green who is a SF imo, but what does he do against KG not much. I understand Warriors valuing rebounding, consistency, and "leadership" in David Lee. The problem is we need an Great player who can make everyone better than they are which David Lee is being paid like he makes a difference against anyone he faces.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:27 pm
fullmetalx wrote:
uptempo wrote:
migya wrote:
uptempo wrote:
migya wrote:Trade him along with one or two others for a real PF, one that plays defense as well

No team would take David Lee's $80 million contract in any trade.

I disagree, he has value and quite a fair bit. It's worth trying and trying hard, but the team invested in him so they'll likely keep him

I, too, like David Lee; however, his $80 million contract ties up too much money into one player who does not address the need for an inside player.

He like Corey Maggette version 2 overrated for that contract. Warriors over paid for Maggette bidding against who? Warriors again overpaid for David lee bidding against who? Also added the draft picks and players for David lee with the huge contract. I like his rebounding and hustle like in OKC game he was going against Jeff Green who is a SF imo, but what does he do against KG not much. I understand Warriors valuing rebounding, consistency, and "leadership" in David Lee. The problem is we need an Great player who can make everyone better than they are which David Lee is being paid like he makes a difference against anyone he faces.

Good post. We definitely should be looking for a PF of the future, as David Lee will probably be even more frustrating in a playoff matchup. That said, he is the best PF we've had since Webber, and is definitely overpaid, but not grossly overpaid (Think of how many bad contracts in the NBA the Warriors front office is responsible for: Maggette, Murphy, Dunleavy, Jackson, etc - Lee is not the worst on that list). We didn't have many options for a position that has been killing us for years (Neither Bosh nor Amare were coming here, even if we traded for them). Lee is a good leader who plays team basketball and is a good influence for the other younger guys on the team and could help with developing a younger PF. Showing him the importance of hustle, boxing out and making the extra pass. But yes we should look into drafting a PF/C for the future that can learn and contribute cheaply to offset Lee's heavy contract.
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:14 pm
I like his attitude. He won't take **** from anyone, but he is a nice guy. Especially with his teamates.
In the game vs. Boston he didn't back down to perkins and Garnett.

Also, he is still young and with his work ethic I think he can get better.
He hasn't tried to develope a post game, but if he can do that over the break and incorporate with his outside pick and pop game, then he could be really good.

On the defense, he is not so strong, but if he keeps at it and learns to move his feet more, then he can get better.
It is just like Curry, he is not fast, but if he can just learn to keep moving into the right spots and not stand straight up and become a statue, then he can play decent D.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

All Star
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:16 am
This thread is an example of why I am so frustrated as a Warrior fan.

We Warrior fans are at least as (probably even more) knowledgeable than the front office people (Twardzik, St. Jean, Mullin, Riley) who have run the team (past and present). Everyone's comments on this thread are so spot on; and yet, we still have to end up watching a marginal (at best) product.

Guys, I have no doubt that Lacob and Guber are smart in the business and entertainment world; yet, I just have yet to see them make good hires in the short period of time that they have been running the Warriors. Even more disturbing is the lack of boldness being exhibited by these two. Even Chris Mullin (one of the worst NBA front office people to ever run a NBA franchise) with all of his deficiencies (slow, panic-stricken (contracts given to Foyle, Dunleavy, Murphy; hiring of Nelson), myopic (choosing Dunleavy to be the starting small forward), etc.) was at least bold (Davis trade, hiring of Nelson).

Riley has boxed this team into a hole with the $80 million David Lee contract, and now the team is stuck in its marginal abyss.

"David Lee = Magette 2.0."

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:21 pm
uptempo wrote:This thread is an example of why I am so frustrated as a Warrior fan.

We Warrior fans are at least as (probably even more) knowledgeable than the front office people (Twardzik, St. Jean, Mullin, Riley) who have run the team (past and present). Everyone's comments on this thread are so spot on; and yet, we still have to end up watching a marginal (at best) product.

Guys, I have no doubt that Lacob and Guber are smart in the business and entertainment world; yet, I just have yet to see them make good hires in the short period of time that they have been running the Warriors. Even more disturbing is the lack of boldness being exhibited by these two. Even Chris Mullin (one of the worst NBA front office people to ever run a NBA franchise) with all of his deficiencies (slow, panic-stricken (contracts given to Foyle, Dunleavy, Murphy; hiring of Nelson), myopic (choosing Dunleavy to be the starting small forward), etc.) was at least bold (Davis trade, hiring of Nelson).

Riley has boxed this team into a hole with the $80 million David Lee contract, and now the team is stuck in its marginal abyss.

"David Lee = Magette 2.0."

The new owner didn't do much significantly better than previous owners did. They found a diamond in Dorell Wright that good in solving your SF, but again if they done their research about Warrior weakness is they can't guard the front or back court consistently. So what do the front office do? They trade David lee in a sign and trade and overpaid for a guy who can hustle and rebound. The problem is he was never a good defender in the East or in the West. Did the FO believe AB would get out of his funk and become double double machine and help Lee in rebounding and defending consistently. Well they were wrong and now Warriors are stuck with Ellis, AB, and David Lee contract 3 of your highest players who can't defend against good players. Now warriors have to rely on FA and Draft to get players who can defend as role players. They still have time to correct the mistake of overpaying Lee and improving the team. Jeremy Lin is a gimmick not a good player. The first year they did a C job in acquiring players

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:43 pm
Why Lacob and Riley jumped the gun on getting David Lee I don't know. Everyone knows he's a good player, but not an All-Star! This is a typical Warrior move. Now its not my money, so what do I care right? Well if his contract restricts the Warriors going forward then I will care! You have to be weary of a player who puts up big numbers on a crappy team. Someone has got to get a rebound or score the ball right? This signing will hurt less if we can get rid of Biedrins contract, and hopefully get a healthy Oden or Yao in FA, someone who can depend the freakin rim.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:46 am
People wanted an All-Star, they over-paid yes, panic move maybe ? Amare and K-Love looking good right about now.

My overall opinion they over-paid yes but am still a fan of David Lee, that injury to the arm really messed his groove.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:34 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:People wanted an All-Star, they over-paid yes, panic move maybe ? Amare and K-Love looking good right about now.

My overall opinion they over-paid yes but am still a fan of David Lee, that injury to the arm really messed his groove.

And it is his first year playing the PF spot. If he can learn to move his feet on defense, and keep guys off the block, he will have an easire time playing D at PF then C. At C he was way over matched on defense, but he was able to make up for it on the offensive end. His offense is comming around now, he starting to score more and rebound again. Now, he should be able to player better D with a lot of these PFs that are not as big as some of the Centers in the league.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:36 pm
I'm just gonna post my impressions of David Lee. I like the guy. too many times, ppl grade player performance by contract alone and nothing else. how about how he fits with the team? how about what he brings to the table...regardless of contract numbers?

I could care less about his contract because plz name me all the dozens of superstars or big names who routinely flock to the GSW every offseason the Warriors have money to spend?? how bout an overpaid Maggette? we couldn't even git a gimpy Elton Brand for $90 mil. GJ Warriors.

David Lee brings stability to the PF spot and is a huge upgrade over the unknowns we had going last yr (Buster Wright, Anthony Randolph ?), and we got him for cheap - 3 bench players. isn't that the goal? improve talent? improve win total? ...check and check. I was on the Al Jefferson band wagon cuz he can play C too and has a better post game, but we missed out. but D. Lee is a very solid starter and a keeper & it was a good deal for the Warriors. you build the team foundation first, and more FA's want to sign with you, not the other way around.

I like the fact that the dude's still in his prime, is a competitor, facilitator, somewhat of a post presence, locker room presence, good bbiq, etc. brings a lot of positives to the team. pair him with a defensive center (Udoh?), get him the ball more (I'm talking to you Curry & Monta), and see how good we can be. the team wins with competitors. you can have talent but no competitiveness in you. look at the Celtics. Rondo Allen Pierce KG. they have that competitive swagga & mentality, they hate losing, they got eachothers back. gimme a roster with those type of players. I see David Lee as a competitor, Curry as a competitor. Monta is getting better but most of his career has been more about competing for scoring 20+ and an all star spot. everybody's gotta be on the same page.

D Wright is underpaid and D. Lee is slightly overpaid, together they equal perfect value so warriors fans can now celebrate. why are some W fans complaining unless you got a feasible trade scenario or better solution @ PF? kinda like Repubs and Obama health care :usa :)
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:44 pm
Looooong time didn't post in this forum but still a W's lover....

The problem is the front office....they don't know what they doing...
they panic because trade deadline is about to end and they felt like if they didn't do any trades they will get fired or something and end up we screw ourself with Troy Murphy trade...

If we can't get any benefit from the trade then don't do it....be patient
Not a lot Allstar players want to play for W's, that's why we have to be patient to develop the young player (not trade them away :banghead: )

All players in Bayarea are overpaid...
Biedrins
D.Lee

Standford Routt,seymour, and soon will follow other players :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:44 pm
rockyBeli wrote:I'm just gonna post my impressions of David Lee. I like the guy. too many times, ppl grade player performance by contract alone and nothing else. how about how he fits with the team? how about what he brings to the table...regardless of contract numbers?

I could care less about his contract because plz name me all the dozens of superstars or big names who routinely flock to the GSW every offseason the Warriors have money to spend?? how bout an overpaid Maggette? we couldn't even git a gimpy Elton Brand for $90 mil. GJ Warriors.

David Lee brings stability to the PF spot and is a huge upgrade over the unknowns we had going last yr (Buster Wright, Anthony Randolph ?), and we got him for cheap - 3 bench players. isn't that the goal? improve talent? improve win total? ...check and check. I was on the Al Jefferson band wagon cuz he can play C too and has a better post game, but we missed out. but D. Lee is a very solid starter and a keeper & it was a good deal for the Warriors. you build the team foundation first, and more FA's want to sign with you, not the other way around.

I like the fact that the dude's still in his prime, is a competitor, facilitator, somewhat of a post presence, locker room presence, good bbiq, etc. brings a lot of positives to the team. pair him with a defensive center (Udoh?), get him the ball more (I'm talking to you Curry & Monta), and see how good we can be. the team wins with competitors. you can have talent but no competitiveness in you. look at the Celtics. Rondo Allen Pierce KG. they have that competitive swagga & mentality, they hate losing, they got eachothers back. gimme a roster with those type of players. I see David Lee as a competitor, Curry as a competitor. Monta is getting better but most of his career has been more about competing for scoring 20+ and an all star spot. everybody's gotta be on the same page.

D Wright is underpaid and D. Lee is slightly overpaid, together they equal perfect value so warriors fans can now celebrate. why are some W fans complaining unless you got a feasible trade scenario or better solution @ PF? kinda like Repubs and Obama health care :usa :)

DWright has been a real nice surprise, really deserves full credit and a bit more money as well. Lee, I'm just not a fan of. I just don't think a guy that scores pretty well and rebounds very well, playing no defense, is any good really. He is good and can make a difference sometimes, but not only is he not worth the money he got, he isn't a star big like the others are, no matter if his numbers look similar.

AR, Azu and Turiaf all played defense well, the one thing Lee is horrible at, that is overlooked. I don't think the team gained much at all, really gained nothing, but did commit alot of money long term

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:46 pm
migya wrote:DWright has been a real nice surprise, really deserves full credit and a bit more money as well. Lee, I'm just not a fan of. I just don't think a guy that scores pretty well and rebounds very well, playing no defense, is any good really. He is good and can make a difference sometimes, but not only is he not worth the money he got, he isn't a star big like the others are, no matter if his numbers look similar.

AR, Azu and Turiaf all played defense well, the one thing Lee is horrible at, that is overlooked. I don't think the team gained much at all, really gained nothing, but did commit alot of money long term

ya he sucks at D, which is a problem when you already have a very weak defensive backcourt tandem of Curry/Ellis. but at least he's not 1 dimensional. I've heard ppl compare his contract to Maggette, which is crazy. Mags is a cancer. (see Clippers, W's last yr, Bucks this yr). David Lee has passing skills and appeal in a multitude of ways - intangibles and locker room presence, etc. sure, a bit overpaid but, I'm just thinking, what were the alternatives? AR or BW and wait like we always do for stuff to pan out? nope, would rather have Lee. draft another rookie and wait for stuff to pan out? nope would rather have Lee. trade for a PF who's better than Lee? at the beginning of the season, who was available? pretty much just D Lee and Al Jeff. what PF's were available at this trade deadline? probably the Utah PF logjam, one of those PF's are available. would rather have Lee over another inexperienced rookie project like Favors. I'd take Milsap & Al Jeff over Lee. but Jazz wouldn't want another PF back when they have a logjam already. so as far as options and opportunities were concerned, I think the Warriors coulda done much worse.

this team is hovering around .500 in a weakened D-Will and Carmelo-less West. I'd rather be in that position, with less cash, than the question marks of last year and more cash. this team over the last year has made good progress imo. better owner, better mentality, better coach, better talent, better record. maybe not perfect progress, but forward progress. and in warriorland, that's like...amazing.

All Star
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:27 pm
migya wrote:
rockyBeli wrote:I'm just gonna post my impressions of David Lee. I like the guy. too many times, ppl grade player performance by contract alone and nothing else. how about how he fits with the team? how about what he brings to the table...regardless of contract numbers?

DWright has been a real nice surprise, really deserves full credit and a bit more money as well. Lee, I'm just not a fan of. I just don't think a guy that scores pretty well and rebounds very well, playing no defense, is any good really. He is good and can make a difference sometimes, but not only is he not worth the money he got, he isn't a star big like the others are, no matter if his numbers look similar.

Unfortunately, I agree with you on this assessment of the team. While I do like aspects of David Lee's game, his game does nothing to improve the team's interior defense; he has to be paired with a center who can play both with his back to the basket on the offensive end of the floor as well as provide strong interior defense. With the money locked up now in David Lee's contract, the Warriors will not be able to acquire a big man without packaging either Ellis or Curry, and if either one is traded, then the team has a hole either at point guard or at shooting guard. Once again, the team is stuck at being marginal (at best).
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:31 pm
As I've stated before, we need 2 major upgrades that can knot us to 4th seed easily next year.
1) Defensive minded coach
2) Low post banger
~LilBallerx~

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:00 pm
David Lee is not the problems. The problem is that donut hole in the middle. We get absolutely nothing out of Biedrins. As i said along time ago. Biedrins is the guy who gets the sand kicked in his face at the beach. Remeber the old Joe Weider cartoons in the comic books. Keith Smart is not smart enough to recognize it. Beidrins is his boy. Lee would be fine with a stronger center to play with.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball