Front Office

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:46 pm
Isn't about time that Lacob and Gruber bring in a real front office executive who has experience as well as some strategic vision?

Nelson, Twardzik, Saint Jean, Mullin, and Riley are the a recurring nightmare that needs to go away!

We need a guy who can honestly evaluate the coaching staff, scouting, roster; come up with a strategic plan to build a championship contender; and execute with measurable deliverables.

I am not bad-mouthing anyone on the roster; I would just like to see the team run in a more professional, strategic and aggressive manner.

The way that the Warriors had acquired David Lee, signing him to a big contract extension, jettisoning Anthony Randolph (still on his rookie contract) and Ronny Turiaf (good role player with another year (player option) left on his $17 million contract) has pretty much made the Warriors unable to make any deals to acquire talent (trade, free agents).

The Warriors helped the Knicks (after the Knicks could not sign Lebron) by taking Lee's contract and by giving the Knicks a player (Randolph) who was part of the Carmelo trade. This is unacceptable. Lacob and Guber should expect more of our front office. We Warrior fans deserve better!
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:21 pm
uptempo wrote:Isn't about time that Lacob and Gruber bring in a real front office executive who has experience as well as some strategic vision?

Nelson, Twardzik, Saint Jean, Mullin, and Riley are the a recurring nightmare that needs to go away!

We need a guy who can honestly evaluate the coaching staff, scouting, roster; come up with a strategic plan to build a championship contender; and execute with measurable deliverables.

I am not bad-mouthing anyone on the roster; I would just like to see the team run in a more professional, strategic and aggressive manner.

The way that the Warriors had acquired David Lee, signing him to a big contract extension, jettisoning Anthony Randolph (still on his rookie contract) and Ronny Turiaf (good role player with another year (player option) left on his $17 million contract) has pretty much made the Warriors unable to make any deals to acquire talent (trade, free agents).

The Warriors helped the Knicks (after the Knicks could not sign Lebron) by taking Lee's contract and by giving the Knicks a player (Randolph) who was part of the Carmelo trade. This is unacceptable. Lacob and Guber should expect more of our front office. We Warrior fans deserve better!

Hi Utempo,

I am not sure why you think Riely has not performmed well.
I liked Tuffiaf and Kalena... but both were often injurried and at best reserves on a good team.
Trading them to clear room for David Lee was a good move.

He realized AR was nothing more then hype and potential.
New owners wanted to get better now, not later, so AR was not in their plans.
So including him was a good decision, plus the removes his salary.

If you want to know how un-ready AR was, then please notice he could not even crack the rotation in New York.
We got a very good glue guy in lee, and he is improving. He brings more then just his stats. And even his stats are low this season, look for them to go up next season with a year under his belt with a year with this team and a year of experience at PF under his belt.

Yes we don't have a strong bench, which makes me think his only mistake might have been trading Maggette, who had a bad contract, but would have been a nice scoring punch off the bench right now. That is the one deal I would have wished they waited one year to do. But we are looking to improve defense, and he isn't a defense guy, so long term he wasn't our player either.

So I don't agree at all with your assesment to the front office. Reily has been in that position what? Two years? He inherited a mess with Steven Jackson wanting out, and demanding a trade publically, basically killing his trade value. And then next years draft not being ours was something that happened before him. So he didn't have a draft pick to trade, not his fault. I think he has done well with what he had and even if he doesn't do anything by the trade deadline, something will probably happen in the offseason. He doesn't have a lot of cap room, but could trade the draft pick and some pieces for a nice bench piece or two.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:05 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
uptempo wrote:Isn't about time that Lacob and Gruber bring in a real front office executive who has experience as well as some strategic vision?

Hi Utempo,

I am not sure why you think Riely has not performmed well.
I liked Tuffiaf and Kalena... but both were often injurried and at best reserves on a good team.
Trading them to clear room for David Lee was a good move.

He realized AR was nothing more then hype and potential.
New owners wanted to get better now, not later, so AR was not in their plans.
So including him was a good decision, plus the removes his salary.

If you want to know how un-ready AR was, then please notice he could not even crack the rotation in New York.
We got a very good glue guy in lee, and he is improving. He brings more then just his stats. And even his stats are low this season, look for them to go up next season with a year under his belt with a year with this team and a year of experience at PF under his belt.

Yes we don't have a strong bench, which makes me think his only mistake might have been trading Maggette, who had a bad contract, but would have been a nice scoring punch off the bench right now. That is the one deal I would have wished they waited one year to do. But we are looking to improve defense, and he isn't a defense guy, so long term he wasn't our player either.

So I don't agree at all with your assesment to the front office. Reily has been in that position what? Two years? He inherited a mess with Steven Jackson wanting out, and demanding a trade publically, basically killing his trade value. And then next years draft not being ours was something that happened before him. So he didn't have a draft pick to trade, not his fault. I think he has done well with what he had and even if he doesn't do anything by the trade deadline, something will probably happen in the offseason. He doesn't have a lot of cap room, but could trade the draft pick and some pieces for a nice bench piece or two.

I agree with much of what you have posted; however, the trade for David Lee (a player whom I like) has basically locked the Warriors into a big contract for a player who does not address their need for an inside player who can both get points in the paint as well as defend the paint, too. The David Lee trade also pretty much gave the Knicks the salary cap space and bodies needed to make the Carmelo trade work, as well as an out for not getting Lebron.

My concern is why this team, with two tweener point-shooting guards (both good players) who do not compliment each other very well was not "blown up" this off season and built correctly from the ground up (BTW, the Warriors had a chance two seasons ago to get Amare from Phoenix; however, Nelson did not want to trade away Curry). Is this team really just one player away from competing to be an elite team? I do not think so.

What is Riley's plan to build this team into a championship contender? I am open-minded on him; however, I do not see how this team has any chance to compete with the Lakers, Spurs, Mavs.
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:02 pm
I think we are good enough to beat any elite team any given night, problem with that is that we are just as susceptible to loosing to bad teams. With a little more consistency and one good big and/or trading Ellis/Curry for a shooting guard, of almost equal value and with good size, we could be a top 4 team in the west. I'm not saying that we need to go out and get that big though, I'm not a believer in Beans for anymore than maybe 12-20 productive minutes a night, but Udoh looks promising.
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:40 pm
JREED wrote:I think we are good enough to beat any elite team any given night, problem with that is that we are just as susceptible to loosing to bad teams. With a little more consistency and one good big and/or trading Ellis/Curry for a shooting guard, of almost equal value and with good size, we could be a top 4 team in the west. I'm not saying that we need to go out and get that big though, I'm not a believer in Beans for anymore than maybe 12-20 productive minutes a night, but Udoh looks promising.

One/two changes, as Jreed said, can either send this franchise to heaven, or another visit with hell
~LilBallerx~

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:52 pm
i don't really agree on the sentiments of OP in regards to lee. he is a good piece. andris is rather a problem with his productivity now and contract.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:18 am
martin wrote:i don't really agree on the sentiments of OP in regards to lee. he is a good piece. andris is rather a problem with his productivity now and contract.

I also believe that Lee is a "good piece;" however, is he worthy of an $80 million contract?

Also, look at how the Carmelo Anthony trade worked out: Randolph, the salary cap space for moving Lee to the Warriors, and the final touch was the Knicks sending Denver two future Warriors second-round draft picks, originally traded to New York in the David Lee deal.

Our front office got outmaneuvered...

If Isiah Thomas was the guy who was influencing Knick ownership and undermining Donnie Walsh (http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2011/0 ... o-anthony/), and with Walsh's contract ending at the end of this season, it might make sense for the Warriors to look at a guy like Donnie Walsh to come in here and bring some adult supervision to the Warrior front office.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:53 pm
I don't think the warriors got "outmaneuvered".

In fact, it is a plus for us that Carmelo went to Knicks, instead of staying on West coast.
Makes the conference easier for us. And it was not like we had a chance to get Melo, he was going to NY one way or another.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:36 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:I don't think the warriors got "outmaneuvered".

In fact, it is a plus for us that Carmelo went to Knicks, instead of staying on West coast.
Makes the conference easier for us. And it was not like we had a chance to get Melo, he was going to NY one way or another.

It is not about the Warriors getting Carmelo; it is about how the Warriors spent $80 million on a soft power forward without another frontline player who can make up for his deficiencies. With the salary cap set up the way that it is, the Warriors now have no chance to upgrade the roster.

A good front office gets ahead of the curve and makes moves which upgrades the team with a strategic gameplan in mind; our front office makes moves which puts the team behind the eightball and leaves the team still incomplete.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:24 am
The new owners need more time to make moves. The team has just dumped salary and opened up spots on the roster that may or may not be filled well

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:30 am
to me it's not 80 mln contract that stings, but letting go off likes of morrow, tolliver and watson - all of whom we could've signed if we dared to go over the cap. and all of whom would've made us playoffs team if our new strategy wouldn't have been going big with untalented players like amudsons and law/lins of the world. this starting five with better bench could go into playoffs. now, decision for our front office is to make this bench. and make biedrins a backup. lee is good, and there was nothing better we could have gotten. if udoh pans out, our frontcourt will get stronger. we'll need, though, more points off the bench. or a coach who facilitate easy scoring plays for less talented players, like nelson could.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:42 pm
watson especially...he was a great backup
~LilBallerx~

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:27 pm
LilBallerx8 wrote:watson especially...he was a great backup

To me morrow was the biggest dissapiontment... as in we should have resigned him.
Watson wanted to leave, even the year before he wanted to go somewhere else.

Morrow was awesome, and even though some say Reggie Williams made him dispensible, I would have like to have both of them coming off the bench.

Having a Morrow at the 2, and reggie at the 3 both spreading the floor, then you can have Vlad at the 4. That would have been nice.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:51 pm
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211492/Warriors_Attempting_To_Make_Franchise_Attractive_To_Marquee_Free_Agent

Joe Lacob, the new co-owner of the Warriors, held a conference call with season ticket holders on Friday afternoon.

Lacob expressed his expectation that the team will continue to build around the backcourt combo of Stephen Curry and Monta Ellis. Because of their collective lack of size, many have expected an eventual trade of one of the two.

Lacob has identified nine big men that the Warriors can target in the offseason.

The Warriors will also attempt to make the franchise as attractive to a marquee free agent as possible while winning as many games as possible now.

Lacob expressed strong support in current general manager Larry Riley, who is a carryover from the Chris Cohan ownership.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/21 ... z1F7FvYQJw

Wonder what his list of nine free agents to target are?

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:04 pm
I can't believe how some of you guys think that getting better back-up players will help. The Warriors need better starters so that some of the starters can be back-up players. We have a whole team full of back-up players.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball