Sloan resigns as head coach

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:53 pm
After nearly coming to punches with Deron Williams, Coah sloan resigns after game vs. Bulls.

Wow. Really. I don't care how good Deron Williams is, I would rather have had a coach as vualable as Sloan over keeping Williams. Specailly if Williams is as negative of an infulence as he has been recently. He may be one of the best, if not best PG in the league right now... but that won't win you a championship alone.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsmpNv.bSYWFLkdICSu04B68vLYF?slug=aw-sloanretiring021011
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:12 pm
wow, so much for loyalty. Sloan, along with Jackson and Papa, has been the most consistent coach the last 20 years. The fact that Deron dictated this shows how pathetic this franchise is. I read a quote somewhere that had a player saying that Sloan had 99% of the teams support, but he was defeated by that 1%. Deron Willliams looks like a jerk, as a result.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:52 pm
Never won the big one, have a nice life... as far as importance, Williams >>>> Sloan

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:39 am
anyone think the jazz will drop this season? i have no idea who their coach was, but all I saw was a collapse against the suns last night.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:07 pm
Top 5 coach alltime to me. Lasted so long and deserved to do so. Went out on his own word, not getting sacked

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:06 pm
migya wrote:Top 5 coach alltime to me. Lasted so long and deserved to do so. Went out on his own word, not getting sacked

I'd say maybe top 10-15 but top 5? No. If it's based on longevity than Don Nelson deserves to be up there too.

Sloan is definitely not top 5...

Auerbach
Pat Riley
Phil Jackson
Poppovich
Chuck Daly

list isn't in order, but as you can see, Sloan has no place.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:03 am
Beast Mode wrote:
migya wrote:Top 5 coach alltime to me. Lasted so long and deserved to do so. Went out on his own word, not getting sacked

I'd say maybe top 10-15 but top 5? No. If it's based on longevity than Don Nelson deserves to be up there too.

Sloan is definitely not top 5...

Auerbach
Pat Riley
Phil Jackson
Poppovich
Chuck Daly

list isn't in order, but as you can see, Sloan has no place.

The Jazz had very good records most seasons since Sloan took over and the Jazz teams were never very talented at all. The greatest coaches, like Auerbach, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson and to a lesser extent Popovich, had very talented teams all the time.

Sloan did great with the little he had almost all the time

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:39 am
Well, he had great team with Stockton, Malone, Hornacek...etc. He just didn't have luck, because he played Jordan's Bulls.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:04 pm
Guybrush wrote:Well, he had great team with Stockton, Malone, Hornacek...etc. He just didn't have luck, because he played Jordan's Bulls.

The Jazz under Sloan only ever had Stockton, Malone and a pretty good SG, first Jeff Malone and then Hornacek. After that they had relative garbage. It was a wonder those teams ever won as much as they did, full credit to Sloan, Stockton and Malone

Return to NBA Forum