Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:23 pm

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:01 am
Moving right along Giants! :D
That meltdown in the 8th inning kind of blew me away. And that Holland pitched great against the Yankees. in the ALCS but is star struck against US in the World Series? I guess it's because it is the World Series?.
Its hard for me to get use to the idea of the Giants being a feared team.

How about this Guillen steroid connection? I thought Bochy might be seeing some all knowing baseball psychic. He can barely do any wrong. It completely surprised me that he dropped Guillen for the playoffs, because he played him what, 15 out of the last 16 regukar season games? Cody could barely break in and then he shifts to Cody, for the playoffs which seems now like a brilliant stroke. Now it turns out he may have had no choice in the decision. He can't play the roster he wants, and ends up playing the hitting hero of the post season. :banghead: :bday:
Lay off Benjie, he deserves his ring.
War Years
Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:46 am

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:18 am
well the lost yesterday was bad for sanchez as it is to the point where his command is just not in place. If a game 7 comes along, i would prefer bumgardner starting, and having lincicum and sanchez coming from the pen.

However, Bum is a beast on the road, so I think he will do fine tonight against hunter.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:57 am
The Giants took a lot of strikes. Posey over a couple of bats looked at 4 call strikes. The Rangers only had one more hard hit ball than us. Burrell's had some big at bats for us but in the playoffs 19 strikeouts in 38 at bats .500?? I don't think any way that Burrell will be with us with us next year.I think Rowand should start today.
Who really counts on Sanchez in game 7? If we get that far we are in big trouble, not that we couldn't get out of it.
Hopefully it's a ploy by Sabean to attract free agents, but Sabean and the FP Santangelo have been mentioning that there's never been a following in San Francisco like the current Giants following, and that ignores that we had almost a 2 decade dynasty in this town with the 49ers. Let them the check the online boards where a currently pathetic 49er team still outdraws a local World Series team, with endless speculation about mediocre coaches, injuries and almost surreal preoccupation with making a playoff in by what is by far one of the weakest divisions in recent memory.

I think we are going to win the series and Sabean deserves a lot of credit. But for him to think he can always have a top starting staff and just pepper in position players might get us to playoff early departure but probably no further unless we can get some help from our farm system. Still I have to admit , I think we should be in a penant race pretty consistently over ther next 3 years, and that will be a lot of fun. But I do think if the Giants pursue trying to keep as many of the heroes of the 2010 season as possible there will be a lot of instances next year of big season Sophmore jinx.

We are going to have to see Papa and little Bush today, there's no avoiding it but seeing that tired looking Nolan Ryan's ugly mug over and over again whether the Rangers are doing well or not, is downright depressing. :cry: :banghead:
War Years

Rookie
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:00 pm
I know we all tend to think what if it comes to game 7... but I for one got to think one game at a time. IMO, every game the Giants play in this WS is a GAME 7, meaning you sale out to WIN the game, at all cost. Bochy has done that throughout the playoffs and it wouldn't surprise me to see that for the remainder of the WS.

Looking at our line ups, one thing that must be fustrating the Rangers is that our hitters are hitting with two outs constantly. We look like a team that wants to play a one run game, when the game gets deeper in the innings we look more comfortable while the Rangers appears to feel the pressure.

Part of it has to do what our BP vs their BP. However, the other part of the lack of experience in tese situations. I thinkwe would all agree that the Giants all year long is a team that excell in one run games. While only time would tell, if the Giants can again score first, you would expect the Rangers to really feel the pressure.

One game at a time though!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:22 pm
nicely put Dleague.... also, welcome to the board.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:43 pm
I'm not the baseball fan I used to be, but damn, this feels good.

None of the position players that started tonight were on the roster before 2009. Shows how much change has happened within this organization in such a quick time. Love it!
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:51 pm
Hack, I'm not even watching baseball, but I'm happy for the SF team, and for you guys being happy that the Giants won. So, I'm happy as well...it's party time! :)

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:31 am
Congratulations my Brothers! I've experienced the great majority of years of the Giants in San Francisco.This was the single biggest championship I wanted to see happen in my life. And now it's finally here!
I watched the post game on comcast for about 3 hours, and when they started replaying some interviews I watched again.
I was struck by Will Clark, when asked if he was vicariously living out his baseball hopes and dreams through this team, and he said " Hell yes!" I'll admit it! Wow, he's just like me! Even though he made his life through baseball and was compensated very well, which I wasn't, there was still this hole in him about what his career with the Giants never accomplished.
Then Bonds over the phone, he gets into that " I'm a little kid" goofy Bonds. Having the same reaction to to Renterrias's home run that I had. It was encouraging hearing Bonds talk about his loyalty to the Giant organization and tradition, rather than just talk endlessly about Barry.
Medders, Joaquin, Yikes! How easily forgotten!
Bochy did play the Series remarkably well. I think his best move in the playoffs was pulling Sanchez and brining in Affeldt against the Phillies.That was the real Series, and things could have unwound for the Giants at that point. Kudos to Bochy for pulling Zito, and Rowand, and Sandoval, all which must have been difficult to some degree, Having the vision to put in Renterria, bring Torres back in at just the right time, Having the just plain good luck to not be able to play Guillen, and end up substituting Ross, Having the vigilance to pull Burrell in the late innings.( though I realize it's easy to say, his only mistake last night was playing him ) Even though I thought that heart of the order last night ( Ross, Uribe, Huff, and Burrell ) was kind of screwy ) ,look what happened in the 7th,Ross leads off with a single then Uribe with his low average hit and miss heroics, gets a single, Huff sacrifices for the first time this year!!!, Burrell strikes out leaving it all up to Edgar.
The greatest unsung hero IMO, Dave Righetti, now rewarded for all his years developing our young starting staff. Rags and Bochy's expert use of Lopez against lefties, ( I think he'll stay ) and Ramirez. Somebody kick started Casilla and he gradually started to gain mastery over his conrol problems, and with that stuff he has--Yikes! Everybody in the staff gained confidence this year with the exception of Affelldt who got the ultimate revenge in putting out the fire in the Phillie game.
Anyway, what a fantastic season! What a no star chemistry of mutual support and unselfishness! It's great to be looking forward to having an awesome young staff, that should be able to take us to the playoffs for years to come! war years
War Years
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:14 pm
I consider myself a die-hard giants fan and have been waiting for this day for a long time. Even though I'm a 9er fan I was only in 5th grade when they won their last superbowl and could hardly say that I was a real 9er fan at the time because I hadn't yet really gotten into sports. I feel like I've never seen any of my teams win it all, but I've often thought about what it would feel like. I'm surprised that I don't have more emotion over this victory. The journey was great and I watch a lot of games this year and in past years. The 2002 loss was crushing and the ensuing seasons of disappointments definitely invoked a lot of emotion. So, why dont my feelings of joy at least rival those of past frustrations? I'm not saying, by any means, that I'm not happy with the outcome, I just kind of wish I was happier. If any of this makes any sense.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:48 pm
War Years wrote:Congratulations my Brothers! I've experienced the great majority of years of the Giants in San Francisco.This was the single biggest championship I wanted to see happen in my life. And now it's finally here!
I watched the post game on comcast for about 3 hours, and when they started replaying some interviews I watched again.
I was struck by Will Clark, when asked if he was vicariously living out his baseball hopes and dreams through this team, and he said " Hell yes!" I'll admit it! Wow, he's just like me! Even though he made his life through baseball and was compensated very well, which I wasn't, there was still this hole in him about what his career with the Giants never accomplished.
Then Bonds over the phone, he gets into that " I'm a little kid" goofy Bonds. Having the same reaction to to Renterrias's home run that I had. It was encouraging hearing Bonds talk about his loyalty to the Giant organization and tradition, rather than just talk endlessly about Barry.
Medders, Joaquin, Yikes! How easily forgotten!
Bochy did play the Series remarkably well. I think his best move in the playoffs was pulling Sanchez and brining in Affeldt against the Phillies.That was the real Series, and things could have unwound for the Giants at that point. Kudos to Bochy for pulling Zito, and Rowand, and Sandoval, all which must have been difficult to some degree, Having the vision to put in Renterria, bring Torres back in at just the right time, Having the just plain good luck to not be able to play Guillen, and end up substituting Ross, Having the vigilance to pull Burrell in the late innings.( though I realize it's easy to say, his only mistake last night was playing him ) Even though I thought that heart of the order last night ( Ross, Uribe, Huff, and Burrell ) was kind of screwy ) ,look what happened in the 7th,Ross leads off with a single then Uribe with his low average hit and miss heroics, gets a single, Huff sacrifices for the first time this year!!!, Burrell strikes out leaving it all up to Edgar.
The greatest unsung hero IMO, Dave Righetti, now rewarded for all his years developing our young starting staff. Rags and Bochy's expert use of Lopez against lefties, ( I think he'll stay ) and Ramirez. Somebody kick started Casilla and he gradually started to gain mastery over his conrol problems, and with that stuff he has--Yikes! Everybody in the staff gained confidence this year with the exception of Affelldt who got the ultimate revenge in putting out the fire in the Phillie game.
Anyway, what a fantastic season! What a no star chemistry of mutual support and unselfishness! It's great to be looking forward to having an awesome young staff, that should be able to take us to the playoffs for years to come! war years

Well said War Years... I have been waiting to see one of my sports teams to win the big one, and the Giants are that first one. I was speechless yesterday, and today I was smiling non stop (even though I am sporting a fever). GO GIANTS!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:02 am
BTW, what is the board's thoughts in the Giants possibly going after Carl Crawford. Clearly, he will be expensive, and probably not the worth that he will demand, but he is a workout warrior, a position we really need, and who happens to be one of my favorite players. I would be in favor of a Crawford signing, as long as we are able to move Rowand to a team like the phillies (which, according to ESPN could be interested).

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:01 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:BTW, what is the board's thoughts in the Giants possibly going after Carl Crawford. Clearly, he will be expensive, and probably not the worth that he will demand, but he is a workout warrior, a position we really need, and who happens to be one of my favorite players. I would be in favor of a Crawford signing, as long as we are able to move Rowand to a team like the phillies (which, according to ESPN could be interested).

Wow, the Phillies would take back Rowand?, and then let go of Werth? Anyway, getting rid of Rowand would be super! I also like Carl Crawford, and that would be a good one-two punch with speed at the start of our lineup.I can see the constraints that Sabean will have, as he will have to give some raises to Timmy, Matt and Sanchez with the now expired Renterria contract. If we get someone like Crawford we'd also have to probably get rid of Uribe, definitely Burrell, maybe even Pablo. I'm still holding out for Ross, I think they'll get it done with Huff.

The Giants might be up to something, a few months ago, I checked to see if Runzler's had much experience as a starter, it turns out not much, I've wondered if he has enough pitches to be an effective starter. And now it appears now that they are going to try to groom him this winter to be starter. Since he is another lefty, would that mean we are going to try to dangle Sanchez? It will be interesting to see if Sabean plays it to stand still and just tries to resign the resignables, or uses the increased stock value of the World Series Champions to make a bold move, like Crawford. .In either case we have to get some new talent from our farm system as well.
War Years
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:44 am
Some of the info i read on insidebayarea indicates this win helps my team "The Athletics" & there quest to move to South Bay (San Jose).

The Giants have argued against this because the South Bay is where they get there corporate dollars. But if the Athletics move then some Sports experts think that the fanbase of Southbay will be replaced by East Bay residents who don't want to commute down to San Jose & will just jump on the Giants bandwagon (so to speak)
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board